Bring out that haterz!
I'll ignore the teeny-bopper stuff (Taylor Swift, the Bieber-thing, & whatever flavor of the month from the UK is currently atop the charts) which is so far out of my playlists that it may as well be whale song. Same goes for most gangsta rap. I do love genuinely creative rappers like the Beastie Boys, Public Enemy and El-P a/k/a El-Producto so it's not a genre thing.
Unfortunately, the lack of reliable artists causes many labels to push their few chart hits so that by pure repetition, these artists enter into the hate zone, through no fault of their own. Adele, I'm looking at you girl as exhibit A of an undeniably talented artist with a good album that has just been played into the ground, simply because their label seems to have nothing else to push. She's currently the only artist that I have banned in my collection, meaning I own her "21" album on my server and have enjoyed it in the past (the distant past it seems) but have currently "removed it" so that my girlfriend cannot put it on an endless repeat.
I digress. Any list of "artists" meriting genuine hatred must begin with:
1. Puffy ("unh unh unh unh ya! unh unh unh unh ya!") Combs, who I hate with such a burning intensity, I had to see a urologist about it. Far and above anyone else I may list, this person's music catalog is best stored in a landfill.
2. Diana "makes my skin" Krall (to steal Peter McGrath's deliciously bitchy line from the RMAF panel) as the queen of unhurried, generic schmaltz. Well recorded schmaltz, but schmaltz none the less. Her music just takes its time to go nowhere. Any time a hi-fi sales rep breaks out the Krall, I leave the room.
3. Limp Bizkit got mentioned before and I'll echo that. I actually have a LB album from over a decade ago (I used to do a lot of drugs, so my memory of buying that isn't so clear). I listened to it recently for the first time in ages and just marveled at how utterly bad it is. I laughed for about 10 minutes that not only was that band signed to a major label, but that label actually gave LB's Fred "Taking a turn for the" Durst a job to sign other talentless hacks such as Puddle of Mudd. A self-perpetuating vortex of suck.
4. Diamanda Galas. Truly one of the most remarkable voices in the world, but the best I've ever heard from her is as a special effect in the awful Coppolla version of Dracula (yes, the one with Keanu Reeves doing his only English accent as Jonathan Harker). She doesn't have to sing pop like Mariah Carey, but sing something that's not a banshee's shriek. Just not interesting and a terrible waste of talent.
5. Oh. And Yoko Ono. I wish Chapman had been a poorer shot.