Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones: Best Overall Headphones ~$150. True or False?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones: Best Overall Headphones ~$150. True or False?

Poll Results: Are these the best?

 
  • 22% (8)
    Yes
  • 50% (18)
    No
  • 27% (10)
    Undecided
36 Total Votes  
post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

This is my first post on this forum. Hai everyone! *waves*

 

 

So yeah, I was critically thinking about getting the ATH-M50's for Christmas this year, and I saw ALOT of reviews that said it had amazing sound quality, great mids, epic highs, and a low, deep and rich bass. But I wanted to see what other people though about these opinions.

 

So, are these the headphones with the best bass, highs, mids, and sound quality all mashed together in an epic collision of epic proportions of epic balance that is under $150?

 

Also, I mostly listen to Dubstep if that helps any.


Edited by Heitek - 3/9/13 at 8:17pm
post #2 of 22

unless you've heard all sub $150 headphones, you really can't know "for sure."

 

I bought mine for $100 and they're a great bang for their buck.

 

I enjoy them,

 

but for dubstep, yes they'll be fine.
 

post #3 of 22

If you're new to this hobby and the M50 was your first "good" headphone than you'll probably enjoy it a great deal, if you're not a basshead.

I wasn't too impressed with the M50 and I'm still not impressed with it. Bass is a bit lacking for me.


Edited by RoMee - 3/9/13 at 8:25pm
post #4 of 22

M-50 = Best boom for the buck under $150.00. In my opinion. 

post #5 of 22

I bought them, returned them, and am much happier with the AKG K240's (under $ 100) and the Grado SR-125's ($ 150 even.)

I did not like the ATH-M50's, and I don't understand all the hype about them.  To my ears, both the AKG's and the Grado's are far superior in every aspect of musical reproduction, except for the deepest lower octaves.

post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam18 View Post

I bought them, returned them, and am much happier with the AKG K240's (under $ 100) and the Grado SR-125's ($ 150 even.)

I did not like the ATH-M50's, and I don't understand all the hype about them.  To my ears, both the AKG's and the Grado's are far superior in every aspect of musical reproduction, except for the deepest lower octaves.

He's into Dubstep and lots of BASS...


Edited by bareyb - 3/9/13 at 8:27pm
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

If you're new to this hobby and the M50 was your first "good" headphone than you'll probably enjoy it a great deal, if you're not a basshead.

I wasn't too impressed with the M50 and I'm still not impressed with it. Bass is a bit lacking for me.

I am a bit of a basshead, but not to much.

 

I'd like a headphone under $150 that has enough boom n' vibrate for bass, and still has great sound quality (precise, accurate). So basically I want one that has great bass, you can feel it at mid volume, and has great sound quality.

post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 

Bump.

 

I just looked at the SkullCandy website, and apparently "Crushers" are coming out April 1st. I saw reactions, and I saw the description of this upcoming headphone, and this may be what I want. I'm gonna leave you guys to decide if I should get the Crushers for Christmas, or the M50's or something.


Edited by Heitek - 3/9/13 at 9:10pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heitek View Post

I am a bit of a basshead, but not to much.

 

I'd like a headphone under $150 that has enough boom n' vibrate for bass, and still has great sound quality (precise, accurate). So basically I want one that has great bass, you can feel it at mid volume, and has great sound quality.

The M50 is not a basshead headphone, just so you know.

If you want precise, accurate sound with bass that you can feel (vibrate) than you'll have to increase your budget for something like the V-Moda M100.

 

The M50 is a very good starter headphone for noobs, but for people with lots of headphone experience it's  just an average headphone in the audiophile world.

 

EDIT:

Look into the Ultrasone HFI-580


Edited by RoMee - 3/9/13 at 9:20pm
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

The M50 is not a basshead headphone, just so you know.
If you want precise, accurate sound with bass that you can feel (vibrate) than you'll have to increase your budget for something like the V-Moda M100.

The M50 is a very good starter headphone for noobs, but for people with lots of headphone experience it's  just an average headphone in the audiophile world.

EDIT:
Look into the Ultrasone HFI-580

I might consider the Ultrasone HFI-580, but I'll prob be deciding over the Crushers or the V-MODA M100.

We'll see if the Crushers are the equivalent of the M100's
post #11 of 22

I'll say this before MalveauX and many others will: M-Audio Q40.

 

That and these few ones I have heard:

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (they occasionally go for around $150 if you find a used pair, or if they're on sale)

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

 

If you're not satisfied with any of those 3 headphones, then I think you'll have to stretch your budget quite a lot more for that unholy amount of bass you're looking for.

post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
We
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

I'll say this before MalveauX and many others will: M-Audio Q40.

That and these few ones I have heard:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (they occasionally go for around $150 if you find a used pair, or if they're on sale)
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

If you're not satisfied with any of those 3 headphones, then I think you'll have to stretch your budget quite a lot more for that unholy amount of bass you're looking for.
Well, I'm not deciding on anything before the Crushers come out, so yeah :P
post #13 of 22
I think the M50 are not best - I didn't find them comfortable (which is a big deal imho), and the bass was boomy and somewhat one-note, the mids were lifeless, and the top-end was a bit clashy/sibilant. And no soundstage. redface.gif

Alternatives I'd suggest:

- Koss Ruk50
- Bose AE2
- Creative Aurvana Live!
- M-Audio Q40
- Ultrasone HFI-2400

I'd probably lean on the Ruk50 most heavily; I know, it's easy to dismiss them because of their lower price (obviously if it costs more, it has to sound better (which means having more bass), right? rolleyes.gif), but I'd honestly put their overall bass quantity on the same level as the PRO900 (or close enough that you won't care given the $250+ price difference), quality is very good for their size and price, they're a bit muffled and rolled-off, and have a somewhat narrow soundstage, but they're still enjoyable with more than one-note boom-boom-step. If you want to spend a bit more, the CAL or AE2 would be my suggestions - more refined, more soundstage, better all-around, etc. The 2400 would be the next step, and then the PRO900 (very much diminishing returns if your goal is just boom-boom-step).

If "Crushers" are anything like SkullCandy's previous attempt at a "subwoofer headphone" - I wouldn't even bother waiting for them. wink_face.gif
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

I think the M50 are not best - I didn't find them comfortable (which is a big deal imho), and the bass was boomy and somewhat one-note, the mids were lifeless, and the top-end was a bit clashy/sibilant. And no soundstage. redface.gif

Alternatives I'd suggest:

- Koss Ruk50
- Bose AE2
- Creative Aurvana Live!
- M-Audio Q40
- Ultrasone HFI-2400

I'd probably lean on the Ruk50 most heavily; I know, it's easy to dismiss them because of their lower price (obviously if it costs more, it has to sound better (which means having more bass), right? rolleyes.gif), but I'd honestly put their overall bass quantity on the same level as the PRO900 (or close enough that you won't care given the $250+ price difference), quality is very good for their size and price, they're a bit muffled and rolled-off, and have a somewhat narrow soundstage, but they're still enjoyable with more than one-note boom-boom-step. If you want to spend a bit more, the CAL or AE2 would be my suggestions - more refined, more soundstage, better all-around, etc. The 2400 would be the next step, and then the PRO900 (very much diminishing returns if your goal is just boom-boom-step).

If "Crushers" are anything like SkullCandy's previous attempt at a "subwoofer headphone" - I wouldn't even bother waiting for them. wink_face.gif

The Crushers aren't out yet, so I have no choice but to not decide until April 1st :P

post #15 of 22

The M50 was the first pair of headphones I bought after deciding I wanted to upgrade my audio equipment. I was very impressed and they got a decent amount of use... until I picked up a pair of Grado SR80is. After discovering the "Grado sound" I rarely picked up the M50 and eventually sold it, the extra money going toward an upgrade to the 325is. 

 

That said, I'm not sure it's entirely fair to compare the M50 to Grado, as I think they are very different headphones and are both good at what they do. Neither of them are probably the best "overall" headphone at that price point, but I haven't heard enough 'phones to really know for sure. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Headphones: Best Overall Headphones ~$150. True or False?