If you want to go tubes there's always the lyr ;)
Related Forum Threads
- (Asus Essence One) vs (Modi+Asgard 2 (or Magni)) Last post on 6/22/13 at 7:51pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need recommendation for a Headphone + Amp Combo Last post on 3/26/13 at 1:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Where to go from PC360s Last post on 12/25/12 at 7:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- 300 dollar budget Last post on 12/23/12 at 10:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- With $700, what should I buy? Last post on 1/25/13 at 10:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
*Review to come*
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
HD650 and HE-400 - Page 2post #16 of 213/9/13 at 5:21am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 213/9/13 at 1:54pmThread Starter
Yeah, that is an option right now if I stretch my budget but how would the Lyr differ from the Asgard2 in terms of sound? I read that the different amps do not really alter the sound of the HE400s? I also read that the Lyr offers a warmer sound, so would that help the HE400? How do you like the combo?post #18 of 213/9/13 at 3:47pmQuote:Originally Posted by chunkfnk
Yeah, that is an option right now if I stretch my budget but how would the Lyr differ from the Asgard2 in terms of sound? I read that the different amps do not really alter the sound of the HE400s? I also read that the Lyr offers a warmer sound, so would that help the HE400? How do you like the combo?
The Lyr is pretty powerful. From what I've gathered; the HE-400 scales with the amp. The most powerful amp I have is the Asgard, so I can't really offer much personal advice on it, but some of the guys over in the HE-400 thread really like the HE-400 with the Lyr.
If the Lyr offers a warmer sound than the asgard (I say this because I haven't hear the lyr), it would calm the treble down a bit.post #19 of 213/11/13 at 12:28pm
Hi HE-400 is definitely the better choice for EDM. The HD650 definitely wins in the mids but even with some decent bass, it cannot win in how well HE-400 delivers the crisp, clean and punchy bass. I would say if you can afford the Lyr you can shoot for that. I have no clue how well the Asgard 2 (or the Lyr for that matter) handles the HE-400 but I recently added a vintage marantz receiver into my collection and the insane amounts of power that thing can supply really makes the HE-400 sound amazing. In this sense I can see how the Lyr could be a great pick. If it can supply a great deal of power and add some warmth in a similar way to how the Marantz does, I don't see how you can be disappointed. That being said, I do not have any experience with asgard or lyr so listen more to those who actually own it. Overall though I believe some warmth and gracious amounts of power do some amazing things for the HE-400.post #20 of 213/11/13 at 5:26pm
I love the He-400 with the Lyr (although I haven't tried tube rolling yet, so I have yet to fully experience what the Lyr has to offer)
For me, orthos are a whole different beast from dynamic They both have their pros and cons.
But if you're an EDM guy, the He-400 will not disappoint. I'm debating right now if I want to get the HE-500 and sell off both of my phones (cause I'm trying to be a one phone type of guy), but its just so hard to be happy with only one phone lolpost #21 of 213/11/13 at 9:59pmThread Starter
Thank you so much everyone, you've all helped tremendously with my decision. I'm set on the HE-400s now and I am looking into amps and possibly DACs if I have leftover funds.
I'm almost decided on the Lyr to power the HE-400s but, (why is there always a but? ) I've stumbled upon the DIY Project Sunrise II / Project Horizon amplifiers and they are cheaper and are being compared to the LYR and are coming out pretty close. The thing is I really love DIY stuff and if I can save money in the process, why not right?
So has anyone heard these two with the HE-400s? All the threads I've searched for reference the HE-500s but the HE-400s are easier to amp so I'm not sure if it will be wonky with the Project Sunrise II / Horizon.
- HD650 and HE-400
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Android phones and USB DACs 2 seconds ago
- › Bluedio R+ Bluetooth 4.0 Headphones with NFC and APT-X 1 minute ago
- › GAMING & MUSIC : HD650 vs HD600 vs HD598 vs PC360 driven by Onkyo... 1 minute ago
- › December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22? 2 minutes ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 2 minutes ago
- › Clarification about burning-in please! 3 minutes ago
- › VA / MD / DC meet - Saturday, January 18, 2014 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 6000 by HeretixAevum
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi