Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD650 and HE-400
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD650 and HE-400

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

Hey fellas. Okay so I've been searching all over this forum and I've come to the conclusion of either getting the HD650s or the HE-400. Yes I know they've been compared again and again but every thread just gets contradicted by another thread. One will say the HD650 has better refined sound with competent bass while others will say the HD650s are anemic in the bass region. Then another will say the HE-400 isn't as refined in the upper-end compared to the HD650 while others will say they're better.

 

I'm coming from the Sony MDR-v6 which are also called flat and bass anemic and I think they're pretty adequate. I like their sound but I would like more detailed bass and better vocals and sparkle.

 

My question is, which one is better for EDM if I'm looking for an experience like I am at a live rave. Great accurate bass with stunning female vocals and sparkly highs? I mostly listen to old-school Trance mostly, Above & Beyond / OceanLab, Armin van Buuren, Kyau & Albert, Markus Schulz, Solarstone. I also do some occasional listening to rock like The Rolling Stones.

 

I'm planning on the following set-ups:

 

Laptop > ODAC > Bottlehead Crack > HD650

 

or

 

Laptop > ODAC > ??? > HE-400

post #2 of 21
Yea... I've been eyeing on those too... Haven't decide which one to pick..
It seems that he400 is more amp friendly than the hd650...
post #3 of 21

Why not get the best of both worlds and get a pair of He-500's
 

post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 

@kore: yeah that is true, but the Bottlhead was tailored for high impendance cans and they are very highly praised by the Sennheiser camp.

 

@HPiper: Because the HE-500 does not posses as much bass as the HE-400 and the fact that they're 300 more than the HE-400 throws them way out of my budget.

post #5 of 21

If you want sparkle in the treble, the he400 is going to beat the 650 in that department.  The bass on the HE-400 sounds better extended and accurate to me.  Vocals on the he400 sound clear, but there not as pleasing as the vocals on the 650.

 

So for edm, get the he-400.  It's more exciting imo.  But if you really want care for female vocals, get the 650.  


Edited by MadMolly - 3/8/13 at 9:10pm
post #6 of 21

I ended up choosing the HE400s, but I could see people liking the 650s better.  It just depends what you want.  The HE400s are darker for sure.

post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMolly View Post

If you want sparkle in the treble, the he400 is going to beat the 650 in that department.  The bass on the HE-400 sounds better extended and accurate to me.  Vocals on the he400 sound clear, but there not as pleasing as the vocals on the 650.

 

So for edm, get the he-400.  It's more exciting imo.  But if you really want care for female vocals, get the 650.  

Could you define exciting? Like are they fun and energetic or very fast and detailed? Also how would you characterize the vocals on the HE-400? Are they crisp and intimate or just "okay" compared to the HD650?

 

Sorry for all the questions it's just hard to decide since I can't find any places to audition these headphones at all where I live.

post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkfnk View Post

Could you define exciting? Like are they fun and energetic or very fast and detailed? Also how would you characterize the vocals on the HE-400? Are they crisp and intimate or just "okay" compared to the HD650?

 

Sorry for all the questions it's just hard to decide since I can't find any places to audition these headphones at all where I live.

The he-400's are very fun and energetic to my ears.  I own the D5000, and the he-400 come close in bass enjoyment for me.  I'm actually enjoying them more and more so than my denons for edm tracks. 

 

I find female vocals on them to be... pretty good, they are crisp and clear and on some track they actually sound great.  However they are not intimate like they are on the 650. 

 

If you get the he-400 over the 650, get it for the great bass and sparkley treble, not for the mids.  If your really concerned about mids, then just get the 650.  In all honesty, the 650 was actually bassy to me and had a nice "thump" to it.  The only reason the 650 may not work out for edm to you is the laid back treble.  It's sound signiture doesn't touch the excitment of the he-400.

post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 

Sounds like HE-400s it is for me then. I love intimate vocals but I also love the high notes in EDM so I shall be going for the HE-400s. Thank you so much for your help. I notice you have the Schiit Asgard. How would you say their synergy with the HE-400s is?

post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkfnk View Post

Sounds like HE-400s it is for me then. I love intimate vocals but I also love the high notes in EDM so I shall be going for the HE-400s. Thank you so much for your help. I notice you have the Schiit Asgard. How would you say their synergy with the HE-400s is?

The he-400 doesn't seem very picky in amping to me.  It sounds great off my asgard and my m-stage.  I actually enjoy the "warmer" sound of the m-stage at times, so I'm thinking about getting a tube amp to try out too.

 

Check out the he-400 thread if you haven't alrady.  If the bottle head is in your price range, you may want to consider getting the lyr.  I've read it's a great pairing, though I haven't actually heard it.

 

edit: never mind, I thought the bottle head was actually more expensive than it is.


Edited by MadMolly - 3/8/13 at 9:49pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkfnk View Post

@kore: yeah that is true, but the Bottlhead was tailored for high impendance cans and they are very highly praised by the Sennheiser camp.

 

@HPiper: Because the HE-500 does not posses as much bass as the HE-400 and the fact that they're 300 more than the HE-400 throws them way out of my budget.

No HE500s have more measured bass quantity than HE400, it is just a textured rather than punchy bass.

post #12 of 21

Had both headphones and the HE400 is clearly more engaging and has the better treble when compared to the HD650.

Also,easier to drive....but not as comfy as the HD650.

But if you are into "SOUND",they are only stepping stones to better headphones.

post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

No HE500s have more measured bass quantity than HE400, it is just a textured rather than punchy bass.


They also have a terrific treble!

post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

No HE500s have more measured bass quantity than HE400, it is just a textured rather than punchy bass.

 

On an absolute scale the HE-500's bass measures higher but the HE-400 drops off sharply by about 12db around the upper mids which makes it appear to have more bass.

 

 

post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 

Thank you everyone for the responses. After further research I'm leaning towards the HE-400 with the Modi DAC and the Asgard2 amp. Does anyone else have any other suggestions for amps and DACs?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD650 and HE-400