Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Recommend me a good <$2000 electrostatic setup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommend me a good <$2000 electrostatic setup - Page 3

post #31 of 41
Thread Starter 

It's funny that you should mention it, because I stopped by my local Audeze dealer today after work to pick up my new LCD3, yay, and I happened to mention that I was looking into some electrostatic headphone rigs. He asked me if I could hold off a little longer because kingAudio, of which he is an authorized dealer, will be releasing an electrostatic headphone and amp combo very soon to compete with Stax. He mentioned that it would be ~$1000 for the combo, which I assume is the SS version from that link you posted. He didn't mention a tubed version at all.

I have to admit, I'm kind of curious about this new contender. Plus, he should be getting a demo unit that I can actually take a look at. And, as luck would have it, there is also a Stax dealer in my city. My plan is to take my time and demo as many units as possible before making a decision. Now I just have to figure out how to get my hands on the Koss ESP-950 for a demo.

Sitting here listening to my new LCD3 as I type this and WOW, so much smoother and more refined than the LCD2.2 that I just returned. Much more detail as well.smily_headphones1.gif
post #32 of 41
For 2k...stax sr507 and srm323s. Dont know enough about the koss

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #33 of 41

The koss does not sound as good as the staxs.

 

And don't get 507!

post #34 of 41

I've owned four different Lambdas as well as the Koss ESP950. I preferred the 950's to any of the lesser Stax. Many others have the same opinion. You need to listen for yourself, form your own opinion, and ignore all the absolutist statements.

post #35 of 41
Thread Starter 
I demoed the Stax SR-507 today. It was paired with a 2 channel amp, sorry I can't remember the model, and the Woo WEE energizer. The sound was fairy good overall. I thought that it was a bit hot up top and maybe a little light on bass. I'm planning to go back again to demo the same 507 with a Stax tube amp and possibly a Woo GES. This dealer has some Woo audio gear coming in soon, but couldn't remember if the GES was part of that order.

They do have a brand new older model 404 in stock. What is everyone's thoughts on the 404? Is it worth consideration?
post #36 of 41
I like the 202 over the 303 and 404, but the 404 was pretty close.
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post


... I stopped by my local Audeze dealer today after work to pick up my new LCD3, yay, and I happened to mention that I was looking into some electrostatic headphone rigs. He asked me if I could hold off a little longer because kingAudio, of which he is an authorized dealer, will be releasing an electrostatic headphone and amp combo very soon to compete with Stax. He mentioned that it would be ~$1000 for the combo, which I assume is the SS version from that link you posted. He didn't mention a tubed version at all.
 

 

Who is that dealer? Not so many north of the 49th!

post #38 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oogabooga View Post

Who is that dealer? Not so many north of the 49th!

AudioToyz in Edmonton.
Edited by BRAC - 3/8/13 at 8:20pm
post #39 of 41
Thread Starter 

I remember reading somewhere recently about Sennheiser working on a new electrostatic headphone. Any truth to that? Or, was it an Ortho.....can't remember.

 

If they do have something in development I hope it's at least within reach, unlike like the Orpheus.
 

post #40 of 41

They are working on a new 'stat set but they won't be anywhere near 2k$... 

post #41 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post

They are working on a new 'stat set but they won't be anywhere near 2k$... 


Cool. Thanks!

 

Well, I could perhaps be persuaded to stretch my budget if the right product came along. I do often daydream about having an SR009 in my possession...blink.gifbiggrin.gif   

 

Any idea on a release schedule?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Recommend me a good <$2000 electrostatic setup