Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!! - Page 7

post #91 of 325
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarphael View Post

A fantastic comparative review, well written and layed out as usual. An the vids are very finely cut as well. biggrin.gif

 

I've had the AD900 in the past, I certainly feel the MA900 is technically better in most respects, number one would be the bass response (duh) but no less improtant is the improved(!) sense of oppeness and the out-of-head coherent imaging. AD900 had "bigger" sound but less defined. I'd never decribe AD900's treble as agressive tho, Do you think the AD900x is brighter?

 

One thing I don't agree with is your assesment of the build quality and design:

"The MA900 is quite literally one of the most dismally uninspiring builds I’ve ever seen on a headphone. The super light weight, the flimsy way the earcups flop around in their cradles, the all plastic design (apparently there is actually some metal hiding the headband), the ill-proportion of the massive driver size to the tiny headband. The cable is thin but the plug is okay. Almost everything about it seems flimsy and cheap."

 

Well first, While i don't own the MA900 anymore (I liked them but i've became a spoiled SQ brat:)) i was absolutely postive that the arms and yokes are magnesium, not plastic, As the driver frame itself clearly is. It's just a differnt material and was colder to the touch during winter. Possbly the outer grilles as well, Not sure about that. You sould check that again, Maybe put them in the fridge for a coupla mins. :)

 

Second, You've ascertained yourself that one of the design goals was to minimize the overall frame in favor of wearing comfort. Do you think there's a better approach to achieve this that to err... minimizng the frame? In comparison to the F1, Tho objectively i think it's still comfier than MA900-due the the supperior weight distribution of the self adjusting headband- i did feel the MA900 was somhow less intrusive on the head because it's so slim... I dunno, it's somehow psychologically made me less aware i'm having them on. 

 

Thanks for the comment :3

 

I don't think the AD900X is brighter than the AD900; they just have a lot of energy in the treble especially compared to the MA900.

 

I'm aware that the headband parts are magnesium and that, as you say, the headphone design placed a priority on wearing comfort. I'm not saying that I know a better way of achieving this than the steps Sony took to minimise the weight. That still doesn't get around the fact that the actual feel of the headphone feels flimsy. They actually could have incorporated more metal into the parts to make them feel a little more reassuring; the outer grilles are not made of magnesium.

 

I'm a huge stickler for how a product looks and feels because it tells you a narrative of what that product wants to be. In this case the MA900 wants to be comfortable and practical and I appreciate that, but the actual feel of the product is all kinds of flippy floppy and ineffectual. This isn't necessarily a criticism that means "There was a better way to do this" because I really do love the comfort of the MA900. I'm just expressing what I feel about the headphone as presented!

 

I actually think though that an alternate headband design could have had better weight distribution and a less badly proportioned aesthetic.

post #92 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

That still doesn't get around the fact that the actual feel of the headphone feels flimsy.

I'm a huge stickler for how a product looks and feels because it tells you a narrative of what that product wants to be. In this case the MA900 wants to be comfortable and practical and I appreciate that, but the actual feel of the product is all kinds of flippy floppy and ineffectual. This isn't necessarily a criticism that means "There was a better way to do this"

Yeah im with you on this. Looks and build do matter to me. Not like crazy but, id like a pair of cans to feel their price, just to make me feel more satisfied.
post #93 of 325

Sorry, a bit OT, but the price of the AD900X on amazon japan right now is 13453 yen or $138US, and the price of the MA900's are 16900 yen or $173 US. Add $30 for tenso shipping.

 

At least as far as the AD900X's are concerned, what an incredible price.

post #94 of 325
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

Sorry, a bit OT, but the price of the AD900X on amazon japan right now is 13453 yen or $138US, and the price of the MA900's are 16900 yen or $173 US. Add $30 for tenso shipping.

 

At least as far as the AD900X's are concerned, what an incredible price.

 

That is a pretty intense price :3 Cheaper than what I paid for both!

post #95 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

Sorry, a bit OT, but the price of the AD900X on amazon japan right now is 13453 yen or $138US, and the price of the MA900's are 16900 yen or $173 US. Add $30 for tenso shipping.

 

At least as far as the AD900X's are concerned, what an incredible price.

 

Wow! I already have a pair (and love them to bits), but that price almost makes me want to buy another one!

post #96 of 325

For those of you in the United States, you can get the MDR-MA900 at adorama.com for $199 (with no tax for most) with free shipping + 1 year extended warranty for another $8.  

$208 for headphones + 1 year extended warranty.  The best part is they are an authorized sony retailer!  

I can definitely feel more confident about the questionable build quality with that kind of coverage.

 

 

I'm awaiting for mine to arrive.  Thank you OP for bringing these headphones out to the forefront.

post #97 of 325
Or Amazon. Get them for 195 + 5 shipping.
post #98 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post

Or Amazon. Get them for 195 + 5 shipping.

If you prefer to buy them without warranty, sure.

post #99 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jltaser View Post

If you prefer to buy them without warranty, sure.

 

My guess is that he was referring to amazon.com. Wouldn't they come with a warranty?

post #100 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

 

My guess is that he was referring to amazon.com. Wouldn't they come with a warranty?

If amazon was the seller, it would come with warranty since they are an authorized Sony Retailer.  However, that $195 + $5 S&H is being offered by a 3rd party.

It's like buying on ebay.

 

If the 3rd party isn't considered by Sony to an authorized retailer, then you don't even get the basic warranty that comes with the product.  You would have to deal with the seller directly if you had problems.

post #101 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

My guess is that he was referring to amazon.com. Wouldn't they come with a warranty?

Thats what I was thinking, but didnt feel like trying to find out. And yes its Amazon.com.
post #102 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jltaser View Post

If amazon was the seller, it would come with warranty since they are an authorized Sony Retailer.  However, that $195 + $5 S&H is being offered by a 3rd party.

It's like buying on ebay.

 

If the 3rd party isn't considered by Sony to an authorized retailer, then you don't even get the basic warranty that comes with the product.  You would have to deal with the seller directly if you had problems.

 

Thanks for that info.

post #103 of 325

Yeah, be careful when buying from amazon everyone.  

 

You might end up buying from a 3rd party instead of amazon without realizing it.  

Amazon does have a few rules that 3rd party vendors that list on amazon must abide by.  But either way, you won't get warranty unless that 3rd party is considered legit by Sony. (Adorama is listed on amazon too, but it's cheaper at their website)


Edited by jltaser - 4/6/13 at 7:18pm
post #104 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

I'm a huge stickler for how a product looks and feels because it tells you a narrative of what that product wants to be. In this case the MA900 wants to be comfortable and practical and I appreciate that, but the actual feel of the product is all kinds of flippy floppy and ineffectual. This isn't necessarily a criticism that means "There was a better way to do this" because I really do love the comfort of the MA900. I'm just expressing what I feel about the headphone as presented!

 

I do get what you're saying, I too care about the the product feels of course. Personally i think the "flippy floppy" design in this case serves as a means rather than a by-product of poor design. It has this certain conforming form-factor, sorta like puting a glove maybe, that a bulkier design such as the ATHs can't match.

 

 

 Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

I actually think though that an alternate headband design could have had better weight distribution and a less badly proportioned aesthetic.

 

Yeah, I hope in MA1000 they implement the mini-hammock from the PFR-V1, this is as comforable as it gets IME without going with a supporting upper-arc(s) design.


Edited by Amarphael - 4/7/13 at 5:35pm
post #105 of 325

I just received my AD900Xs. I like them. I don't know too much about headphones to "rate" them. Build quality is good, they're really light and they exert just a wee bit of pressure so that they don't fall off.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!