Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!! - Page 5

post #61 of 315
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post

I was not charged $1 when registering at tensu.com (as of 3/27/2013 - 11:00AM EST).

 

EDIT:  Forgot to thank you for the incredible reviews between the two sets of headphones!  Really informative and you had a great voice when it came to expressing your thoughts. After reading (and watching *lol*) I ordered a pair of ATH-AD900X's mainly because I loved the AD700's and the AD900X's do look like they are built better.

 

I hope I made the right choice as it would probably be a pain to return them, I hope the build quality makes up for its flaws. 

 

EDIT 2:  Oh what the hell I might as well try and cancel these, I'm sure the MA900's are a worthy upgrade to my AD700's.

 

Haha, well whatever you do let us know what you think of the sound and thanks!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youra6 View Post

Great videos by the way, I find them very accessible to beginners and long time enthusiasts alike. One thing you do well is clarify audio jargon (buzz words) without going too far in depth. Keep it up!

 

Thanks! I actually try to clarify the audio buzzwords for everyone just because too often on Head Fi you see people disagreeing, not because they have a different idea of the sound, but because the language they are using is not consistent. The phrase "soundstage" means a lot of things to a lot of people, calling a headphone "dark" means a lot of things to a lot of people. It's better to give references to basi sounds and concepts that everyone understands - for instance talking about what part of people's voices is emphasised or talking about how particular instruments sound. That kind of thing is common ground for everyone.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post

I don't listen to electronica often, however even in rock/alt when highs were intense I quickly felt fatigued.  I would greatly appreciate it  a_rec if you wouldn't mind listening to Delphic - Red lights to replicate any signs of fatigue.

 

I'll try to give that song a listen later but I can say that I really don't find the MA900 fatiguing and I listen to them for ages playing music or, lately, Starcraft!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

I fully agree with this. The treble seems lifeless, lacks refinement and sounds too safe. Otherwise, almost an ideally balanced headphone.

 

Wonderful review and comparison BTW.

 

I wouldn't want the treble any sharper on the MA900 just because its a good level for long term use, but I would like more extension on the treble I guess. But yes I think they tuned it safe for long periods of time.

post #62 of 315

Great review! does anyone know what media player he is using to get that album view?

post #63 of 315
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davils Advocate View Post

Great review! does anyone know what media player he is using to get that album view?

 

I do.

post #64 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

I do.

 

Cheeky lol

post #65 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

I do.

Lol
post #66 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davils Advocate View Post

Great review! does anyone know what media player he is using to get that album view?

looked like zune for pc.

post #67 of 315
Thread Starter 
It's the iTunes screensaver that is part of Mac OSX :3
post #68 of 315

Nice review, I've yet to own a open sony can as I have my byers for that, and by the same token I've yet to own an open ATH can as I hae closed Audio TEchnica cans lol, still intereesting reads, wouldn't mind trying them ym self

 

how do either of these compare to the dt 990 and 880? [Pro version which are cheaper] in fzct the 990 pro is in that price braket of $170 ish dollars? 

post #69 of 315
Just got these delivered and haven't burned them in yet. The only high end headphones I've had are sennheiser hd590 and hd595, but to me they sound very similar to my sennheiser hd595.. except they are so comfortable it's like not even wearing headphones. They do everything I love about my hd595 but maybe a little better. Input is flac files and I plug directly into a hifimediy sabre usb dac. Bass seems to hit harder on the sennheiser, which surprises me since these have bigger drivers and a "bass lens" heh. Maybe when they are burned in and my Aune t1 amp arrives I'll compare them again. I'm really impressed with the low weight and comfort.. for this alone these are my new main headphones.
Edited by uncola - 3/29/13 at 3:56pm
post #70 of 315

Hi, good review. How would you say the AD900x sounds with piano music, acoustic/classical guitar?

 

Also, I'm wondering about international delivery.To my knowledge, imported goods usually incur customs duty to discourage buying from overseas. Well,that's th case for the UK. Does anyone know how much customs duty for the UK is?

post #71 of 315
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head1 View Post

Hi, good review. How would you say the AD900x sounds with piano music, acoustic/classical guitar?

 

It sounds pretty good with those instruments, but I personally think the MA900 sounds better with them because of the stronger mid-bass hump. The AD900X does best with violins.

post #72 of 315

Beside the open/closed design of the A900X and AD900X, are there any significant differences between the two?

 

I was quite disappointed with the build quality of the A900X. It felt way too plasticky, and did not feel sturdy at all. To me, the quality was about on par with the HARX700, which is 30-40 dollar pair of headphones.

post #73 of 315

Thanks a bunch for a comprehensive and yet easy to read review.  In addition to the regular top dogs, I also own the MA900.  Like many on this thread, I ahve often wondered why the MA900 doesn't get more credit.  It's really a great headphone for the money and I think at that price point, you could do a lot worse.  I love my MA900.

post #74 of 315

Is the Sony solid? I have AD900 since 6 years and they are still intact but Sony doesn't have a good reputation for build quality. Am I wrong?

post #75 of 315
Thread Starter 

I am pretty sure that the MA900 is built solidly. It's probably less fragile than most headphones just because it's so light and flexible; if it were dropped it would absorb shock easily. All the pieces seem to fit together well and fit and finish is up to Sony's usual standard for mid-fi gear.

 

I just doesn't FEEL nice. It feels flimsy. The Audio Technica cans feel marvellous in comparison.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!