Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!! - Page 17

post #241 of 315

Anyone with the 2kx have any comfort issues/driving touching ear? Bugs me on the AD1000x, don't know why they couldn't just have the earpads further out since the drivers aren't angled...


Edited by marts30 - 8/30/13 at 10:01pm
post #242 of 315

That Stroked track has sibilance in it that my DT990pro shows up easily. Second pop track is too hot and a crap song too. The XX track sounds great though. :)  But I think MA900 might be for me because I want rolled off highs for my Hendrix collection. Thx for the review, it was good.

 

 

Here is some good music to listen to.

 

 

 


Edited by Schonen - 9/2/13 at 4:27am
post #243 of 315

Nice, dig'd the vocals not so much the Shoe Gaze meets jazz music approach 

post #244 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post
 

 

For gaming?  AD900x is utter trash for competitive type usage.

 

AD700 all day long cool.gif

lol...they're basically the same headphone, cosmetics aside. Their 53mm driver may be tuned differently between the two of them, but the difference will be minute since they both use the same magnet and diaphragm membrane material, especially if it's AD700 vs. AD700x. The most notable sonic difference between the AD700 and the AD900x will be the earpads. Thicker earpads give you a better seal, which means better bottom end. The AD non-x earpads are really shallow, which means weaker bottom end. So really, you're looking at a difference of sound signatures. One isn't inherently better than the other, except if you really want some bass. Then again, you'd probably looking at other headphones if you wanted that...

 

For gaming, they will offer the same benefits...the AD series stages pretty well (main reason why the AD700 is so popular, besides comfort and price), their 53mm driver has a good amount of speed, especially the AD2000/x drivers (not sure on the 1000/x, but they look like the same driver, so it could be a tuning difference), both have a slightly bright sound signature, which makes it easy to pick out certain sounds like gunshots, and the weak bass emphasizes that a bit. 

 

Anyways, I thought I'd share a bit of info on AT's drivers. 

 

The difference between the AD2000 and the AD2000x driver (not the headphone housing the drivers), is the way it's ported in the back. On the back of both drivers there are little holes surrounding it all around, and it's covered by black felt material. If you look at the AD2000x driver, you'll see that holes completely surround the driver. On the older AD2000 driver, two of those holes are covered up by the PCB. That PCB allows the headphone cable to connect to the driver, which allows the audio signal to pass through two little wires underneath the diaphragm membrane to the voice coil. AT placed that PCB right on the driver itself on the AD2000. On the x revision, it seems like the PCB was moved somewhere else, possibly inside the little tunnel where the cable leads to, so that none of the ports are covered up. Maybe, a_recording can take apart his AD1000x to see where it's at, since both the 1kx and the 2kx use the same driver frame. So, what do those uncovered ports do to the sound? Not much. If anything, you'll get slightly better bass performance because there is less restriction (low frequencies have a larger excursion area than higher frequencies, which means that more air is needed/moved when producing lower frequencies), and this is not taking into account the earpad differences between the non x and the x series. When you factor in the earpads, the AD2000x will have better bass performance, both in quantity and in quality, but the quality difference will be negligible. Two covered ports will not drastically change sonic performance, especially if it's tuned to compensate for it. 

 

The driver enclosure that holds the membrane and magnet in place on the AD 1k/2kx is a unibody frame made of metal, with the magnet being inside the frame instead of being exposed like on my AD900 drivers. When you look at the AD1000/2000/x from the outside, you'll see a black bulge in the center of the driver. That's the frame. The magnet is inside that. On my AD900, you can clearly see the magnet, like it was glued on from the outside. It's also thinner and heavier than the lower-tier 53mm driver units. I'm thinking the change in material helps with resonances that may exist with the plastic driver frames, and because they didn't want to skimp out on putting a driver frame comprised of cheap materials on their high-end headphones. 

 

/rant

 

Y'all can check out Roison Murphy's Overpowered (Seamus Haji Remix). It's one of the few EDM songs that I can listen to without getting tired of it. 

post #245 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Nice, dig'd the vocals not so much the Shoe Gaze meets jazz music approach 

 

Each to their own, not everyone can have good taste.

post #246 of 315
Thread Starter 

I love St Vincent, and she's got one of those perfect Audio Technica voices! I saw her in concert with a musical hero of mine, David Byrne, which is how I twigged on to her solo work.

 

And thanks Trae for that Overpowered remix. Definitely liking the slow progression.

post #247 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
 

lol...they're basically the same headphone, cosmetics aside. Their 53mm driver may be tuned differently between the two of them, but the difference will be minute since they both use the same magnet and diaphragm membrane material, especially if it's AD700 vs. AD700x. The most notable sonic difference between the AD700 and the AD900x will be the earpads. Thicker earpads give you a better seal, which means better bottom end. The AD non-x earpads are really shallow, which means weaker bottom end. So really, you're looking at a difference of sound signatures. One isn't inherently better than the other, except if you really want some bass. Then again, you'd probably looking at other headphones if you wanted that...

 

For gaming, they will offer the same benefits...the AD series stages pretty well (main reason why the AD700 is so popular, besides comfort and price), their 53mm driver has a good amount of speed, especially the AD2000/x drivers (not sure on the 1000/x, but they look like the same driver, so it could be a tuning difference), both have a slightly bright sound signature, which makes it easy to pick out certain sounds like gunshots, and the weak bass emphasizes that a bit. 

 

Anyways, I thought I'd share a bit of info on AT's drivers. 

 

The difference between the AD2000 and the AD2000x driver (not the headphone housing the drivers), is the way it's ported in the back. On the back of both drivers there are little holes surrounding it all around, and it's covered by black felt material. If you look at the AD2000x driver, you'll see that holes completely surround the driver. On the older AD2000 driver, two of those holes are covered up by the PCB. That PCB allows the headphone cable to connect to the driver, which allows the audio signal to pass through two little wires underneath the diaphragm membrane to the voice coil. AT placed that PCB right on the driver itself on the AD2000. On the x revision, it seems like the PCB was moved somewhere else, possibly inside the little tunnel where the cable leads to, so that none of the ports are covered up. Maybe, a_recording can take apart his AD1000x to see where it's at, since both the 1kx and the 2kx use the same driver frame. So, what do those uncovered ports do to the sound? Not much. If anything, you'll get slightly better bass performance because there is less restriction (low frequencies have a larger excursion area than higher frequencies, which means that more air is needed/moved when producing lower frequencies), and this is not taking into account the earpad differences between the non x and the x series. When you factor in the earpads, the AD2000x will have better bass performance, both in quantity and in quality, but the quality difference will be negligible. Two covered ports will not drastically change sonic performance, especially if it's tuned to compensate for it. 

 

The driver enclosure that holds the membrane and magnet in place on the AD 1k/2kx is a unibody frame made of metal, with the magnet being inside the frame instead of being exposed like on my AD900 drivers. When you look at the AD1000/2000/x from the outside, you'll see a black bulge in the center of the driver. That's the frame. The magnet is inside that. On my AD900, you can clearly see the magnet, like it was glued on from the outside. It's also thinner and heavier than the lower-tier 53mm driver units. I'm thinking the change in material helps with resonances that may exist with the plastic driver frames, and because they didn't want to skimp out on putting a driver frame comprised of cheap materials on their high-end headphones. 

 

/rant

 

Y'all can check out Roison Murphy's Overpowered (Seamus Haji Remix). It's one of the few EDM songs that I can listen to without getting tired of it. 

 

Man, the AD900x has poor imaging and positioning in respect to the AD700.  Could well be tuning, but its a lot easier to buy the cheaper product.  Why buy the more expensive unit and then go through the hassle of tweaking it?  :D

post #248 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post
 

 

Man, the AD900x has poor imaging and positioning in respect to the AD700.  Could well be tuning, but its a lot easier to buy the cheaper product.  Why buy the more expensive unit and then go through the hassle of tweaking it?  :D

 

How do you know where everything is supposed to be? ;)

post #249 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

How do you know where everything is supposed to be? ;)

 

haha, using counter strike + surround map and a program I wrote.  Its hard to distinguish 3D positioning on the AD900x, much less so on the AD700.


DT880 Pro not as great as the AD700 imo, but way better than the AD900x

post #250 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post
 

 

haha, using counter strike + surround map and a program I wrote.  Its hard to distinguish 3D positioning on the AD900x, much less so on the AD700.


DT880 Pro not as great as the AD700 imo, but way better than the AD900x

 

 

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about gaming (apparently that PS3 thing I have can be used for that ..I should try one someday!).

post #251 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
 

 

 

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about gaming (apparently that PS3 thing I have can be used for that ..I should try one someday!).

 

..  Are you mocking me?  :confused:

I find the PC experience to be better than consoles.  Having a decent headphone adds to the experience for me.

 

theOmni asked for a gaming headphone.  Any headphone can be used for games, so I figured he meant competitive play.  

post #252 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post
 

 

..  Are you mocking me?  :confused:

I find the PC experience to be better than consoles.  Having a decent headphone adds to the experience for me.

 

theOmni asked for a gaming headphone.  Any headphone can be used for games, so I figured he meant competitive play.  

 

 

No, not mocking you... more like mocking myself for (a) not knowing much about gaming and (b) for forgetting that he was asking about a gaming headphone.

post #253 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post
 

I've been waiting for this...

 

We're in need of AD900X reviews, and the MA900 needs to be put back on the map, so this was just great!

 

Thanks for the contribution.

 

I did a review of the ad900x. It was okay, nothing special in the end. The senn 5xx series is more musical and the older ad900 is still better than the new ones to me. I myself am very interested in trying out the ma900. I am also beginning to grow to love their looks.

post #254 of 315

I've had the MA900 for two weeks, they're definitely a keeper for the $170 i paid. Hands down, the most comfortable headphone i've put on in recent memory and that makes them that much more enjoyable. A solid all rounder. Unfortunately, i just noticed a scuff mark with the black color turning silverish, on a metallic portion of the headphone none the less. No idea if it was there to begin with or how it got there since it was never dropped and i'm known to baby my gear. Yeah, i guess these things are flimsy after all. Don't know what to do now.

post #255 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by as.we.proceed View Post
 

I've had the MA900 for two weeks, they're definitely a keeper for the $170 i paid. Hands down, the most comfortable headphone i've put on in recent memory and that makes them that much more enjoyable. A solid all rounder. Unfortunately, i just noticed a scuff mark with the black color turning silverish, on a metallic portion of the headphone none the less. No idea if it was there to begin with or how it got there since it was never dropped and i'm known to baby my gear. Yeah, i guess these things are flimsy after all. Don't know what to do now.

 

They are definitely flimsy, at least they came with a case!

 

I had both, but I kept the AD900x.  Not because it was technically superior, as the AD900x tends to have blurry imaging.  More musical to me, and I found them more comfortable on my head.

The AT house sound is my favorite, however, their technical abilities aren't impressive for the price.  AT should really refresh their mid-fi line of headphones!

 

The A900x is technically equal to the AD900x and can be found for much less.  The sound is close enough as well, granted you will experience more warmth, and less soundstage.

 

In the end I returned both the MA900 and AD900x lol.  

 

I'm looking into the AD2000/x as the AD1000x is no longer worth it for the price paid (imo of course).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!