Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!! - Page 10

post #136 of 315

I would love to get the AD1000X based on your review, but I think the pricing tier is ridiculous for the AD line.  I guarantee they might have a few more dollars in each set, while charging $165 or whatever more for AD10000X over AD900X.  Sorry to be negative but it's greed and marketing.

post #137 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post

I would love to get the AD1000X based on your review, but I think the pricing tier is ridiculous for the AD line.  I guarantee they might have a few more dollars in each set, while charging $165 or whatever more for AD10000X over AD900X.  Sorry to be negative but it's greed and marketing.

 

Probably to an extent, but it's also a perceived value issue. I don't WANT only a $200 phone. I want a $400 phone, a $600 phone, etc.

post #138 of 315
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post

I would love to get the AD1000X based on your review, but I think the pricing tier is ridiculous for the AD line.  I guarantee they might have a few more dollars in each set, while charging $165 or whatever more for AD10000X over AD900X.  Sorry to be negative but it's greed and marketing.

 

Well, that's like the case for almost every higher tier headphone. The pricing (or at least Japanese pricing) isn't so out there compared to other firms.

 

It's not really greed. Greed would be literally delivering the same product and telling people it's different. Audio Technica is just charging whatever it feels people will pay.

 

I can tell you personally that I for instance think the AD900X for 135 ( current Amazon JP pricing) is insanely cheap and it's a good headphone, but I still wouldn't keep it. I'm happy to pay about $130 more and get the AD1000X, which I regard as a much better headphone. I don't like to say its 2 times better or 30% better or whatever just because putting numbers on these things can get a little silly, suffice to say that I am going to keep the AD1000X as a very enthusiastic owner. Form an absolute pricing stand point I think the AD1000X is a great value headphone too; the build alone is fantastic.

 

The price jump where I can't really see there being real benefit is from the AD1000X to AD2000X, where the changes only seem to be a pad change and a slightly stronger magnet in the driver. I'm not predicting any huge improvements for my $200 but I'd at least like to hear it one day.

 

I don't feel like the pricing is greed on Audio Tehcnica's part; there is nothing that says I have to have the best and there's no obligation on Audio Technica's part to provide the lowest price possible. They are just operating however they feel would do best for them and thats fine with me. Vote with your dollars!

post #139 of 315

Honestly, I feel that some of Audio Technica's offerings, for the money they ask for, are practically gifts to audiophiles. The problem with their portfolio is key gems like the AD700, A900X, AD900/X, W1000X, W3000ANV, et al provide so much value for the money relative to other models.


Edited by 3X0 - 5/15/13 at 4:44pm
post #140 of 315
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 View Post

Honestly, I feel that some of Audio Technica's offerings, for the money they ask for, are practically gifts to audiophiles. The problem with their portfolio is key gems like the AD700, A900X, AD900/X, W1000X, W3000ANV, et al provide so much value for the money relative to other models.

 

I think they are definitely a bit interesting in that they have several high end lines, and it seems less important to them to deliver ONE flagship neutral headphone (ie the HD800 or T1 etc) than to produce several flagships that are each specifically voiced in a particular signature. The W3000ANV, AD2000X, A2000X are all different sounding and it's hard to talk about value when its clear they are gunning for specific tunings.

 

"This sound signature is bad value" is like saying "this painting is bad value". You can say it sure but on some dimensions it doesn't quite work.

 

I definitely agree the AD900X has a stellar price (frankly it makes the AD700X look expensive). I'm keen to hear the A900X for a longer period in the future.

post #141 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Well, that's like the case for almost every higher tier headphone. The pricing (or at least Japanese pricing) isn't so out there compared to other firms.

It's not really greed. Greed would be literally delivering the same product and telling people it's different. Audio Technica is just charging whatever it feels people will pay.

I can tell you personally that I for instance think the AD900X for 135 ( current Amazon JP pricing) is insanely cheap and it's a good headphone, but I still wouldn't keep it. I'm happy to pay about $130 more and get the AD1000X, which I regard as a much better headphone. I don't like to say its 2 times better or 30% better or whatever just because putting numbers on these things can get a little silly, suffice to say that I am going to keep the AD1000X as a very enthusiastic owner. Form an absolute pricing stand point I think the AD1000X is a great value headphone too; the build alone is fantastic.

The price jump where I can't really see there being real benefit is from the AD1000X to AD2000X, where the changes only seem to be a pad change and a slightly stronger magnet in the driver. I'm not predicting any huge improvements for my $200 but I'd at least like to hear it one day.

I don't feel like the pricing is greed on Audio Tehcnica's part; there is nothing that says I have to have the best and there's no obligation on Audio Technica's part to provide the lowest price possible. They are just operating however they feel would do best for them and thats fine with me. Vote with your dollars!

So you're not planning on reviewing the 2000x? You really think build quality is better with the 1000x? I see little difference between 700 and 900x except I like the colors of the 700 better...
post #142 of 315
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCabDaddy View Post

So you're not planning on reviewing the 2000x? You really think build quality is better with the 1000x? I see little difference between 700 and 900x except I like the colors of the 700 better...

 

Oh well I would plan on doing the AD2000X but maybe further down the line. I don't think build quality is better on the 1000X than the AD900X, though the 1000X is full magnesium alloy (actually can anyone confirm if the baffle of the AD900X is metal or plastic?). 

 

I just think the AD1000X sounds better and it's hard to buy stuff with this kind of build quality at $260 let alone $130. If you think of how much other brands are charging for this kind of build...

post #143 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

It's not really greed. Greed would be literally delivering the same product and telling people it's different. Audio Technica is just charging whatever it feels people will pay.

 

 

 

 

I agree with what your saying, and that is a better way to say it.  There are so many who will pay the higher dollars for different sounds.  I jumped on the Audio Technica ATH-WS99 bandwagon and I can't wait to try them.  I got a little impulsive and ordered the AD900X last night, but canceled after reading this review.  I'll keep researching the ultimate open air headphones for now...and I admit the reasearching part is a blast for me, so I don't want to ruin that by ordering headphones the first day I learn about them.  (That's what I did with the WS99's though! I'm super confident these will be my ultimate closed HP) beyersmile.png

post #144 of 315
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post

 

I agree with what your saying, and that is a better way to say it.  There are so many who will pay the higher dollars for different sounds.  I jumped on the Audio Technica ATH-WS99 bandwagon and I can't wait to try them.  I got a little impulsive and ordered the AD900X last night, but canceled after reading this review.  I'll keep researching the ultimate open air headphones for now...and I admit the reasearching part is a blast for me, so I don't want to ruin that by ordering headphones the first day I learn about them.  (That's what I did with the WS99's though! I'm super confident these will be my ultimate closed HP) beyersmile.png

 

I totally agree! The thrill of the hunt hehe...

post #145 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

I think they are definitely a bit interesting in that they have several high end lines, and it seems less important to them to deliver ONE flagship neutral headphone (ie the HD800 or T1 etc) than to produce several flagships that are each specifically voiced in a particular signature. The W3000ANV, AD2000X, A2000X are all different sounding and it's hard to talk about value when its clear they are gunning for specific tunings.

A good corollary to the point would be consideration of the competition.

 

I think their lower-end offerings like the M50, A900X and AD900(maybe or maybe not X, since the import prices are still somewhat high) are stupendously good values against the competition in the price range.

 

At their high-end, the W3000ANV does very well against the likes of the HD 800, T1, LCD-2 et alia.

 

The middle meat such as the A(D)1000X, A(D)2000X are tough sells because their weird price points put them against the likes of a vacuous upper-mid-fi segment occupied by the likes of the HD 700, SRH1440/1840, T70/90 et al. I know of plenty of people willing to spend $1000+ and plenty under $200-300, but very few in between.

 

 

As an aside, I also really dislike that they don't have a permanent $1000+ flagship (W5000 doesn't count IMHO). We need a non-limited W5000X and/or AD5000X.


Edited by 3X0 - 5/16/13 at 5:30am
post #146 of 315

Really good review and comparison! I agree that the signature of ad1000x is exciting and attractive, and I really love it.

 

I find it really good at this kind of music:

post #147 of 315
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeolushu View Post

Really good review and comparison! I agree that the signature of ad1000x is exciting and attractive, and I really love it.

 

I find it really good at this kind of music:

 

Oh I'm so glad a fellow AD1000X owner is here! Welcome to Head Fi :) The people over at the AD series thread could use your input :) http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998/audio-technica-updates-their-open-headphones-ad-series-ad2000x-ad1000x-ad900x-ad700x-and-ad500x

 

And yes you are right that kind of music works very well with the AD1000X...

post #148 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

Oh I'm so glad a fellow AD1000X owner is here! Welcome to Head Fi :) The people over at the AD series thread could use your input :) http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998/audio-technica-updates-their-open-headphones-ad-series-ad2000x-ad1000x-ad900x-ad700x-and-ad500x

 

And yes you are right that kind of music works very well with the AD1000X...

Ah yes I actually already posted over there, saying that I heard from Chinese forums that AD1000X more treble, AD2000X more mids blabla.

post #149 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeolushu View Post

Ah yes I actually already posted over there, saying that I heard from Chinese forums that AD1000X more treble, AD2000X more mids blabla.

More mids would be my cup of coffee. (Don't drink tea.)
post #150 of 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCabDaddy View Post


More mids would be my cup of coffee. (Don't drink tea.)


More mids would be my cup of purple drank. (Only drink purple drank)
But srsly curious about AD1000x nowwwww

Why a_recording, why!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!