Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Upgrade Time. $300~ price range.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade Time. $300~ price range.

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

Updated on 2nd page with current things im looking at: E10/E07K + Beyerdynamic 770 250/32LE 990/250

 

Hi everyone. 6 months or so ago I got a pair of HFI-580's and like what seems to be the ongoing trend, I bought 1 pair of headphones that I kept and now am on my way to my 2nd. This is kind of a present to myself for quitting smoking. Anyway. I want to upgrade to something in the 300 dollar range or so and I have been really considering the M-100's. 

Things I am looking for -

 

Comfort - Being able to wear them for long extended periods of time is one of the most important things to me. I have larger ears than normal so one thing with the M-100's is that im not sure they will have a good seal on them for my head size.

 

Sound - I listen to a pretty decent variety of music. Electronic, rap, rock, some country, and a little bit heavier rock/metal, pop. I'd like to have a bit of a bass emphsis since the majority of the music I listen to is the first two genre's listed while still keeping a good treble and mid range. 

 

Detachable Cables - At this price point, if something should happen and get shorted I would like to be able to replace the cable rather than the headphones.

 

I am open to both closed and open headphones considering that I have never heard an open headphones soundstage (best soundstage I could compare it to would be Philips Uptowns.)
Any M-100 owners that see this could you give me details on the soundstage etc? I know that the Uptowns I used to own had a really cool sound presentation and it felt like I was getting hit with instruments from all angles and thought it was cool. How would it compare?

 

The source is going to be the direct jack on my computer using a VTI 2012 chip I believe? Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H if you really would like to get indepth with that aspect. 

 

Any other questions feel free to ask, truly I am just making sure I get the best bang for my buck if I go with the V-MODA's, as well as a bit more information on them, but am still open to considering other options (Such as the Ultrasone upgrade path (Pro 900ish range)


Edited by Fballboy23 - 3/8/13 at 5:21pm
post #2 of 24

Heya,

 

You're using your computer's onboard audio as the sole source. Consider this is probably going to be the weak point in your chain. Make sure your music quality is highest as possible.

 

At your price point, asking for a detachable cable means you haven't even looked at what's available. Detachable cable is not something that comes with premium headphones. Accept it, or be prepared to deal with the limited selection.

 

I would say look into:

 

Mr Speakers Mad Dog + Alpha Pads

Denon D600

Beyer DT880 32ohm

Beyer DT770 LE 32ohm

AudioTechnica AD900X

AudioTechnica A900X

Ultrasone HFI 2400

Hifiman HE-300

 

And at the very least, look into even a used Fiio E10.

 

Very best,

post #3 of 24

I had a M100 and I really loved its sound signature. First thing you would notice is the bass-emphasis! The bass is really tight and accurate without bleeding into the mids/treble. soundstage is great for a closed pair of headphones, but for closed headphones, soundstage will never be as great as open ones I think. That's just the trade-off you make for noise isolation.

 

The M100 will definitely have a good solid seal. Maybe even too tight the first time you try them on, but the flex-headband will adjust very well. 

 

One thing I would caution you about with the M100 is that I had comfort issues d/t the inside of the earcup driver pressing against my ears and I consider my ears to be small, but I am really sensitive though. V-moda (60-day) and amazon (30-day) both have great hassle-free return policies though, so I would still recommend you try them. One way to fix this is by stuffing paper towels under the earpads and V-Moda says they are releasing XL earpads soon. Hard to say if you will experience this same issue until you try them, so I think you should go for it!!

post #4 of 24

The Pro 900 would fit your requirements. I would suggest you consider them in comparison to the m100s since the m100s are fairly new and still have a street price near the list price. The Pro 900's, on the other hand, have been around for a while, and are reaching an all time low price. This makes me think the m100s will be worth less in the future and end up being discounted like the other V-Modas, which the Pro 900 should be more resistant to.

post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post

The Pro 900 would fit your requirements. I would suggest you consider them in comparison to the m100s since the m100s are fairly new and still have a street price near the list price. The Pro 900's, on the other hand, have been around for a while, and are reaching an all time low price. This makes me think the m100s will be worth less in the future and end up being discounted like the other V-Modas, which the Pro 900 should be more resistant to.

That was actually one of the things I was concerned with the M100's that im glad you pointed out was that they are still averaging around 300 on amazon and other websites and sell at the suggest retail while other headphones are at better deals out there. I really enjoy listening to my HFI-580's which has made me take harder looks at the Ultrasone upgrade path of things (Pro 900-HFI-2400 headphones).  Going to read into some reviews of each now. Thanks for your suggestion.

post #6 of 24

I don't hear pro900, but pro 750 sounds excellent

post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

I had a M100 and I really loved its sound signature. First thing you would notice is the bass-emphasis! The bass is really tight and accurate without bleeding into the mids/treble. soundstage is great for a closed pair of headphones, but for closed headphones, soundstage will never be as great as open ones I think. That's just the trade-off you make for noise isolation.

 

The M100 will definitely have a good solid seal. Maybe even too tight the first time you try them on, but the flex-headband will adjust very well. 

 

One thing I would caution you about with the M100 is that I had comfort issues d/t the inside of the earcup driver pressing against my ears and I consider my ears to be small, but I am really sensitive though. V-moda (60-day) and amazon (30-day) both have great hassle-free return policies though, so I would still recommend you try them. One way to fix this is by stuffing paper towels under the earpads and V-Moda says they are releasing XL earpads soon. Hard to say if you will experience this same issue until you try them, so I think you should go for it!!

Thanks for the extra information there. I have actually been keeping an eye out for V-Moda to release their larger earpads for a while now and waiting for an annoucement of them. When I owned the LP2 my ears were actually just slightly to big for the pads to be comfortable so thats why I have been looking at size comparisons of the two and getting an idea of their difference. I realize that the noise isolation-soundstage trade off is one of the big trade offs with closed back, which honestly, I don't mind to much. I was just open to the idea of going open headphones this time around and was curious just how it would compare to a semi-closed or open set of headphones (I've never listened to the soundstage of an open pair of headphones before so no real base for comparison)

post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

 

You're using your computer's onboard audio as the sole source. Consider this is probably going to be the weak point in your chain. Make sure your music quality is highest as possible.

 

At your price point, asking for a detachable cable means you haven't even looked at what's available. Detachable cable is not something that comes with premium headphones. Accept it, or be prepared to deal with the limited selection.

 

I would say look into:

 

Mr Speakers Mad Dog + Alpha Pads

Denon D600

Beyer DT880 32ohm

Beyer DT770 LE 32ohm

AudioTechnica AD900X

AudioTechnica A900X

Ultrasone HFI 2400

Hifiman HE-300

 

And at the very least, look into even a used Fiio E10.

 

Very best,

Thank you again for your suggestions (You are one of the most persistent people that I have seen for recommendations). I am actually looking into a Fiio amp as well (Either E10 like you mentioned or possibly the E07K/E17) but that is going to be in a month or so. 

 

My big thing with detachable cables is that I came from very low quality headphones that I kept rebuying over and over again (a little 20 dollar headset that I bought about 15 different times) where the cable shorted every couple of months. Then I upgraded to a real pair of headphones. I realize that it limits the selection but at 300 dollars or so I dont want the cable to get abused and cause them to have to be sent in for warrenty or anything (I understand that at this price point, finding a low quality cabling job is probably slim to none) but its nice to just be able to attach a new cable if something should go wrong and be fine. It's not that it is a deal breaker really its just something that I would prefer to have. 

I have been looking into the HFI-2400's as an open back option considering that I thoroughly enjoy my 580's. Hifiman I haven't really looked into much so I will take a look at that. Haven't actually looked into mad dog's at all so that will probably be my next visit after looking up more reviews for the Pro's and 2400's. Beyer/Denon/AT I have actually looked at, just really have had mixed feelings about them but per your suggestions I'll take another look. 

post #9 of 24

SoundMAGIC HP100, or the new ADL H-118 looks promising, but it's not been released yet.

post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballboy23 View Post

Thanks for the extra information there. I have actually been keeping an eye out for V-Moda to release their larger earpads for a while now and waiting for an annoucement of them. When I owned the LP2 my ears were actually just slightly to big for the pads to be comfortable so thats why I have been looking at size comparisons of the two and getting an idea of their difference. I realize that the noise isolation-soundstage trade off is one of the big trade offs with closed back, which honestly, I don't mind to much. I was just open to the idea of going open headphones this time around and was curious just how it would compare to a semi-closed or open set of headphones (I've never listened to the soundstage of an open pair of headphones before so no real base for comparison)

 

Val said prototypes of the XL cushions will be released on March 14th! Subscribe to this thread for V-Moda M100 updates: http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/12690#post_9231526

 

If you really like your ultrasone HFI-580, then an upgrade to ultrasone pro 900 would make a lot of sense. There are a baller lightening amazon warehouse deal for the ultrasone pro 900 at $200 a few days ago and a pretty sick coupon code for $250 M100 from Guitar Center that just expired. I don't know how urgent or how picky you are about your final headphone choice, but sometimes you can find real bargains by subscribing to the deals threads here. All headphones lose value over time depending on their companies product refresh cycle, so if you find a sound signature you really like I wouldn't worry to much about the price.

 

When you say that you are worried about cable failure or product failure, one thing that I really like about V-Moda company is its customer service. I ran into a cable issue with the V-Moda M100 and they legit spent me a new one without blinking. If anything goes wrong with your headphones within the 2 year warranty period, I am sure they will replace them without a problem. I am sure that Ultrasone has to have a good customer service/warranty as well. I really think with a lot of higher-end headphone companies, they will treat you very well if you are spending money on them.

post #11 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

 

Val said prototypes of the XL cushions will be released on March 14th! Subscribe to this thread for V-Moda M100 updates: http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/12690#post_9231526

 

If you really like your ultrasone HFI-580, then an upgrade to ultrasone pro 900 would make a lot of sense. There are a baller lightening amazon warehouse deal for the ultrasone pro 900 at $200 a few days ago and a pretty sick coupon code for $250 M100 from Guitar Center that just expired. I don't know how urgent or how picky you are about your final headphone choice, but sometimes you can find real bargains by subscribing to the deals threads here. All headphones lose value over time depending on their companies product refresh cycle, so if you find a sound signature you really like I wouldn't worry to much about the price.

 

When you say that you are worried about cable failure or product failure, one thing that I really like about V-Moda company is its customer service. I ran into a cable issue with the V-Moda M100 and they legit spent me a new one without blinking. If anything goes wrong with your headphones within the 2 year warranty period, I am sure they will replace them without a problem. I am sure that Ultrasone has to have a good customer service/warranty as well. I really think with a lot of higher-end headphone companies, they will treat you very well if you are spending money on them.

Yea. My cable problem-phobia was just because of the $25 dollar HP headsets I was picking up at walmart every few months. I haven't had a problem with the Ultrasone's yet and have really enjoyed them honestly with that being said however I liked my LP2's as well, just the cushions were to small for my ears and now that the XL Cushions have a prototype in production (Hopefully actual ordering soon after) I really think I am going to pull the trigger (And get a Boom Mic/XL earpads when they are released). I looked at all the suggestions and reviews of many different things in that area and I just really think im heart-set on the M100's. As far as the deal thread and everything, I tend to not mind to much to deals considering im more of a planned buyer rather than impulsive (budget issues etc etc) but I actually do look at the thread every now and again to keep up on sale prices and future possibilites. 

post #12 of 24

I find a good approach is to have a list of headphones that might work for you in mind. When they pop up on the deals thread for really low prices, go for them. You can usually sell them off and not lose out if you do that. That way you get to try more headphones and find ones that you actually like. Reviews give you an idea of what a headphone's like, but ultimately you're the only one who can tell if a headphone is good for you.

post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReem View Post

After today I would have to recommend mr speakers mad dogs Jesus Christ they are a dream. Don't even consider the m100 when these are knocking around at that price range.

did you do a direct comparison??? how was the bass compare? I really loved the M100s bass (seems really textured? not sure if that is the right word though).

 

could you do a more detailed comparison pleasey?? :)

post #14 of 24

I haven't heard either, but if I was looking for $300 closed cans and portability wasn't a must-have quality, I'd choose Mad Dogs any day.  I got to see the alpha pads on a youtube interview and they look so comfortable....

post #15 of 24
Thread Starter 

I've been looking at the Mad dogs more now (I didn't pull the trigger on the M-100 yet just because I had checked back to your guys posts today and seen all you have wrote.) and after reading a few of the reviews some say that the bass was a bit lacking in relevence to it being a "bass-head" type of can which I understand isn't necesarily bad but for me I really like high-impact type bass that gives you that punch to the head type of feel but also keeping mids and highs relative and present. I am going to do some more research and looking but I am between the Mad Dogs and M-100 as of now. The mad dogs do look very comfortable indeed (Just looking at pictures makes me want them on my head heh.) Anyway. I am going to be pulling the trigger on one of the two over the weekend so any final thoughts let me know. I really truly appreciate the help you guys have been and all of the information you've relayed to me about all the different headphones and their qualities. Thank you. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Upgrade Time. $300~ price range.