Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Closed mid-range portable headphones that sound like Koss PortaPro?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Closed mid-range portable headphones that sound like Koss PortaPro?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hi everyone,

 

I love my the sound of my Koss PortaPros, but I find them flimsy and they block no sound at all, so therefore Im looking for a step-up pair of headphones that would sound similar but have a closed (sound-blocking) design. Portability is still really important to me, Ive been thinking something along the lines of the Bowers & Wilkins P5s, but they are much too expensive for me.

 

So basically:

 

- No more than 100 pounds / 150 USD - would happily pay less

- Closed design to keep most noise out (doesn't have to block everything, but enough to work in an airplane)

- Similar sound to PortaPros (I find the bass perfect)

- Portable (foldable cups!).

- Comfortable!!

 

What would you suggest?


Edited by Krooser - 3/2/13 at 9:32am
post #2 of 13

Look into Incase Pivot. Seriously. I'll be putting up a review about them later, they trash all sub-$75 on-ears. Similar signature to PortaPro, but more equalized.

post #3 of 13

The V-Moda M80 are close in term of soundsignature and it's built well and also foldable but price maybe little higher than your current budget.

post #4 of 13

Try the Koss UR-55. It's really good for the price.

The DJ100 doesn't sound much like the Porta Pro. Maybe in some areas.

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 

All good suggestions, but I still feel like none of them are exactly what I'm looking for.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstige View Post

Look into Incase Pivot. Seriously. I'll be putting up a review about them later, they trash all sub-$75 on-ears. Similar signature to PortaPro, but more equalized.

They look almost too light, can't imagine there is much sound isolation either? Looking forward to the review anyway.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOOP_DOGG View Post

The V-Moda M80 are close in term of soundsignature and it's built well and also foldable but price maybe little higher than your current budget.

They look cool, but definitely too expensive.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

Try the Koss UR-55. It's really good for the price.

The DJ100 doesn't sound much like the Porta Pro. Maybe in some areas.

Koss UR-55 would be perfect if they weren't open back... DJ100s don't seem that portable, nor do they have the right sound signature.

post #6 of 13

The UR-50 is closed.

post #7 of 13

NOTHING really tops the Creative Aurvana Live for the price. They're unreasonably good value.

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozurr View Post

NOTHING really tops the Creative Aurvana Live for the price. They're unreasonably good value.

They seem fantastic, but apparently they dont fold at all which is going to be a dealbreaker for me :( 

What is the closest you can get to these but with foldable cups? 

 

 

I was looking at AKG 450 as well, but they seem to have mixed reviews?

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 

What about Sennheiser PX 360? Can someone who has tried them compare them to the PortaPros and/or Aurvana Live?

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstige View Post

Look into Incase Pivot. Seriously. I'll be putting up a review about them later, they trash all sub-$75 on-ears. Similar signature to PortaPro, but more equalized.
I wouldn't go as far as to say they trash all but they sound much better than expected. I really want to read what your thoughts are. I got them at Marshalls for $7. Figured I could use them at work. They are pretty decent and amped with a Fiio E5 are actually pretty good. Very comfortable and really dont leak. They fold flat not compact though. I was looking for something similar to the portas too but haven't found it yet with closed on ears. K81dj is what i got in the end. Best Buy has them online now for $33.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 

I've narrowed it down to these headphones now:

 

 - Denon AH D1100

 

 - AKG K518

 

 - Creative Aurvana Live

 

 - Audio Technica ATH-WS55

 

How would you guys rate these for portability, comfort and sound? I can get them all for the same price at Amazon, so cost doesn't matter. Lastly, which pair would YOU pick?


Edited by Krooser - 3/5/13 at 10:16am
post #12 of 13
Just FYI K518 and k81dj are the same except for color options. So if you go that route like I said before BB has em for 33 and amazon has em at the moment for 49.

But a side note. A lot of people have issues with clamping force.
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dan of Steel View Post

Just FYI K518 and k81dj are the same except for color options. So if you go that route like I said before BB has em for 33 and amazon has em at the moment for 49.

But a side note. A lot of people have issues with clamping force.

That is my main worry, especially since I'm coming from the PortaPros which are very comfy.

 

 

Has anyone tried the RHA SA950i or Klipsch Image One ?


Edited by Krooser - 3/7/13 at 2:21am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Closed mid-range portable headphones that sound like Koss PortaPro?