or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Yamaha HPH-Pro 500 Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yamaha HPH-Pro 500 Review - Page 5

post #61 of 128

Also an owner of the 500's, and like H20, also in Straya!  I also have the yammy hph200's and I gotta admit that Yamaha are doing something right in the headphone dept in regards to sound.  However the fit of the 500's will def. not suit everyone.  They are huge, I have them on the smallest setting and they just fit.  I am a 6'2" big man with not a pea size head.  Did not get them for such a cracker price as H20 but must admit that they are great for the price I paid (around $250 ).  Great case, cord goes in to both earcups, two cords (one short with iphone controls, one long) and they fold up well.  

post #62 of 128

They are very sensitive and to my knowledge do not benefit much from amping (unless you have a better source than an mp3 player).  While they are bassy, they only have the bass when called upon, not just sitting there colouring everything.  Depending on the music, I sometimes find them a little strident.  AT the moment I cycle between these, the hph200's (open can, very good) and my aiaiai studio young gurus.  I went back to my grado sr125's again last night, and I feel they also suffer from fit issues - while they are light, the cups are not great and the cord just irritates me (especially how the cups rotate so much, tangles aplenty).  They just don't engage me as much as the other 3 phones.  

post #63 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
 

They are very sensitive and to my knowledge do not benefit much from amping (unless you have a better source than an mp3 player).  While they are bassy, they only have the bass when called upon, not just sitting there colouring everything.  Depending on the music, I sometimes find them a little strident.  AT the moment I cycle between these, the hph200's (open can, very good) and my aiaiai studio young gurus.  I went back to my grado sr125's again last night, and I feel they also suffer from fit issues - while they are light, the cups are not great and the cord just irritates me (especially how the cups rotate so much, tangles aplenty).  They just don't engage me as much as the other 3 phones.  


I really enjoy how natural they sound and can agree while they're bassy it's not terribly overwhelming but just very present, especially when called upon. The mid-range is very detailed for a mainstream brand, again I am surprised (and very happy) how much vocal detail and micro detail comes through just from Sansa Clip Zip, which I find has great synergy with PRO500.

I also own HPH-200 though they've been retired onto a foam display head which wears raver glasses as an ornament.

I guess we only find these kind of scenarios in Australia. 




The only thing I don't like is the 3m flat cable, it's just far too long for those wanting to use a non mic cable. 2.5m would have been better.

@Hawaiibadboy I will still try those tracks for you my friend. 


Edited by H20Fidelity - 5/14/14 at 6:24pm
post #64 of 128

Anything ,anytime. and any pics you can share will (with your permission) be placed in the thread relating to them @BigDave  if you have any thoughts regarding bass and these cans it would be welcome.

post #65 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

Anything ,anytime. and any pics you can share will (with your permission) be placed in the thread relating to them @BigDave  if you have any thoughts regarding bass and these cans it would be welcome.


Here's a more professional picture of took of them the other day.


post #66 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

 

I think the detail retrieval is amazing for a can that also has such low end prowess. 

 

It is not more loved must be aesthetic ?? I can see no reason this doesn't hit the buttons. It's an amazing piece of work done by Yamaha.

 

 

The track above

 

 

There is a 50, 40 and 33Hz strike (which is almost omnipresent)  

 

If you ever get the chance it's ability to handle that omnipresent note with the others would be great.



So I tried that track for you from Aune T1 dac/amp, there's definitely good extension, impact is tight / heavy though for my standards who started originally on Head-fi as a bass head I would want more personally, I did raise the volume fairly high before distortion but the mids kept pushing through harder than the lows. I think something like C&C BH amp (which I no longer have) with LF switch engaged would take PRO500 to levels people would find pounding for bass head material.

Don't get me wrong, it's bassy and you grasp a satisfying representation of sub-bass though, it was not blowing my head to pieces.

One thing I did note with that track is the mid-range still came through clearly, there wasn't much bleed and for most parts felt forward over the low end.  It's certainly deep bass though I am not hearing huge quantity that would class them as in the top ranking charts. I also ran a few of my own tracks last night from the Zip and while the bass is definitely forward I am not hearing complete 100%  bass head level with my pair unamped.

I'd be interested what BigDave thinks if he's willing to try.
 


Edited by H20Fidelity - 5/14/14 at 8:45pm
post #67 of 128

I was unable to put these through a wringer so I was desperate for a opinion. I think they have the same issue as Beats pro where the bass tuning is almost max and any amping on the low end pushes it dangerously close to spec limit.

 

I will likely remove these as a Top 10 bass can (or not since finding heavy pounders under amp is not easy **suggestions welcome**;))but audiophiles who don't amp too much should definitely keep these in mind since they sounded beautiful (low to mid transition) which many cans suffer from doing poorly!

 

Thanks bro!!

 

EDIT:

 

After reading what I typed I realized these are Q40 on steroids:D

That's a very very good thing.

 

1 question....can the pads be changed to Alpha or HM5?? Just wondering.


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 5/14/14 at 9:41pm
post #68 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

I was unable to put these through a wringer so I was desperate for a opinion. I think they have the same issue as Beats pro where the bass tuning is almost max and any amping on the low end pushes it dangerously close to spec limit.

 

I will likely remove these as a Top 10 bass can (or not since finding heavy pounders under amp is not easy **suggestions welcome**;))but audiophiles who don't amp too much should definitely keep these in mind since they sounded beautiful (low to mid transition) which many cans suffer from doing poorly!

 

Thanks bro!!

 

EDIT:

 

After reading what I typed I realized these are Q40 on steroids:D

That's a very very good thing.

 

1 question....can the pads be changed to Alpha or HM5?? Just wondering.



I believe HM5 pads should fit, from a simple visual assessment.  :smile: But for now mine will stay stock. 

post #69 of 128

 

@H20Fidelity  @BigDave 

 

This is a Cowon with a flat 5 band eq and BBE+10 and Mach3Bass +8     e12 amp with bass boost switched on and about 1/2 the gain/volume knob turned

Playing the track I showed.

 

If you folks know of any cans that exhibit this kind of behavior (paper is analogues to human skin)...I'd appreciate it. 

post #70 of 128

Well I played that Wiz track and the bass is prolific.  The clarity in the mid range is excellent and the bass does not appear to bleed into the upper frequencies.  This is off my fiio e7 from the usb off my macbook pro.  Maybe not the best source but better than most mp3 players.  However I also agree that while it is a bassy can, subbass is not its forte.  Its pretty good, but I have heard better.  That said, those phones suffered in other parts of the freq range while doing this.  sometimes you just cannot have your cake and eat it too.

post #71 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
 

Well I played that Wiz track and the bass is prolific.  The clarity in the mid range is excellent and the bass does not appear to bleed into the upper frequencies.  This is off my fiio e7 from the usb off my macbook pro.  Maybe not the best source but better than most mp3 players.  However I also agree that while it is a bassy can, subbass is not its forte.  Its pretty good, but I have heard better.  That said, those phones suffered in other parts of the freq range while doing this.  sometimes you just cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Thanks:D

 

 

Does this track + the 500's make you ponder safe listening levels and the health of your ears....deep thoughts...I know:p

post #72 of 128

haha.  Well, not normally the type of music I listen to but this suits the 500's down to a tee.  I think they are really suited to this type of music (dubstep? rap?  what do you call it?).  I know that some of my other cans cannot handle the bass line of this music properly.  Nice!

post #73 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
 

haha.  Well, not normally the type of music I listen to but this suits the 500's down to a tee.  I think they are really suited to this type of music (dubstep? rap?  what do you call it?).  I know that some of my other cans cannot handle the bass line of this music properly.  Nice!

 

For quickly comparing bass hits it's the go to track for me. It makes em shine or kills them quick.:D 

I tried this very hit on the Yamaha 500 and remember them being stout and strong. The wiz track was more for depth and overall bass and I never tried it on the Yammy.

But THIS IS SPARTA...BASS.

Thanks for confirming my memory !!

post #74 of 128

while not my kind of music, I really liked both tracks on the 500's - just because the bass line was so well done.  And it shone on the cans.  Well played, sir!

post #75 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
 

while not my kind of music, I really liked both tracks on the 500's - just because the bass line was so well done.  And it shone on the cans.  Well played, sir!

:beerchug:

 

Thanks!

 

They made me giggle like a child in the shop which drew odd stares but yeah...the Yammy give a slammy. 

Thanks for indulging a chronic Basshead for a little while!!:D 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Yamaha HPH-Pro 500 Review