I have a pair of Superlux HD681 headphones and I was comparing them with my cheapo sony in ear earphones and I found them to be a bit quieter than the Sony in ear buds. Are full sized headphones generally quieter? Or can they also be as loud as in ear earphones?
Related Forum Threads
- Help me to choose which headphones to buy! Last post on 11/28/12 at 4:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Comparing Headphones: Which One Is Good? Suggestions? Last post on 11/17/12 at 7:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation thread; need headphones in the ~$150 range (very picky) Last post on 11/12/12 at 1:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which headphone to get Last post on 11/5/12 at 8:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Pioneer SE-M290 vs Superlux HD-681 Last post on 10/10/12 at 9:34am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I'm using this cable with my SMSL SD793-ii because its only option for a computer is its optical output. It does its job and for $8/6ft its worth it for sure. Overall just gives the user great...
-Introduction- HifiMe is a company that specializes in building bare-bones DAC with no frills, focusing entirely on price-to-performance ratios. That’s a good thing for audiophiles on a budget,...
-Introduction- It’s not often I have the chance to review products as high-end as the ZMF x Vibro MK II. I approached Zach in July, and asked for a loaner unit. One wasn’t readily available...
Firstly, many thanks to iFi for the loan of this amp. I am not affiliated with iFi, just a regular Head-Fi addict to happens to be lucky enough to get loan units now and again from the generous iFi...
The Grado SR80i presents everything very nicely, almost romantic, you can hear everything, until you start comparing. Its not the most detailed, however it is very transparent. Its soundstage is...
Are full size headphones generally quieter than in-ear ones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 83/1/13 at 12:49pm
I'm I bit of a noob, but I believe it's just that the in ear earphones would be easier to drive than the larger drivers in the full size headphones. Overall I would think the full size headphones would get way louder if driven from an amp.post #3 of 83/1/13 at 12:53pm
Generally iem's need less power to drive cause they are smaller and have less impedance than fullsize headphones.
So therefore they go louder for the same volume setting.post #4 of 83/1/13 at 12:54pmThread StarterQuote:
So then I shouldn't worry that my in ear buds are louder than the headphones? Hmm, so you say that is expected...post #5 of 83/1/13 at 2:59pmpost #6 of 83/1/13 at 3:02pmThread Starter
Thanks, they are pretty decent nevertheless. I got the Superlux HD681 instead of a Sennheiser HD201 as I found that to be too quiet and quite lacking in bass. This sounds overall more balanced with enough bass and louder that the HD201...post #7 of 83/1/13 at 3:04pmQuote:
Think of it like pulling a wagon, where your effort in pulling is like the volume knob. Your IEMs are a fisher price toy, and you can pull that thing with little to no effort, and you can go pretty fast.
A full-sized is a heavier wagon, and if you put in the same amount of effort as you do with the fisher price toy, you won't go nearly as fast.
When you get a really heavy wagon (hard-to-drive full-sizes or otherwise), thats when you get a motor (an amplifier).
Edited by vaed - 3/1/13 at 3:07pm
- Are full size headphones generally quieter than in-ear ones?
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 25 seconds ago
- › Oppo HA-1 (Silver) 36 seconds ago
- › Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread 3 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN’s Lucky Upgrade Opportunity 4 minutes ago
- › DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition). 5 minutes ago
- › Trinity VYRUS IEM available for pre-order now! 5 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › Centrance HIFI-M8 Portable DAC Amp for iDevices 7 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 7 minutes ago
- › Cable Matters Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable with... by Gabeh765
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by Cinder
- › ZMF Headphones x Vibro MK II by Cinder
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Turrican2
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Bloos
- › Arcam rHead - Discrete True-linear Class-A Analogue Headphone... by glassmonkey
- › Cayin iHA-6 by Dillan
- › Cayin iDAC-6 by Dillan
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by harry501501
- › TY Hi-Z 32ohm HiFi Earbuds Earphone by Himpedance
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...