I have a pair of Superlux HD681 headphones and I was comparing them with my cheapo sony in ear earphones and I found them to be a bit quieter than the Sony in ear buds. Are full sized headphones generally quieter? Or can they also be as loud as in ear earphones?
Related Forum Threads
- Help me to choose which headphones to buy! Last post on 11/28/12 at 4:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Comparing Headphones: Which One Is Good? Suggestions? Last post on 11/17/12 at 7:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation thread; need headphones in the ~$150 range (very picky) Last post on 11/12/12 at 1:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which headphone to get Last post on 11/5/12 at 8:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Pioneer SE-M290 vs Superlux HD-681 Last post on 10/10/12 at 9:34am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I first started with the ath a900x which i fell in love with. Recently they broke, and i did not have the money to purchases them again or the newer model. So i took a chance and got the a550z, for...
-Introduction- RHA is an interesting company. It has forged its own place within the audiophile world, making a name for itself based on the industrial design language of its products and the...
Welcome to the review of wireless + Wired High resolution in ear monitors Advanced Model 3. Disclaimer: This headphones were a sample provided by Advanced team for my review. I am not...
iBasso IT03 [1xDD 2xBA] Introduction: the mission statement of the company iBasso is “To capture the essence of music for all to enjoy” On their Facebook banner it also reads “We...
In 1976 two engineering students at Cambridge University with a passion for electronics and music founded Amplification and Recording Cambridge (Arcam). In 1988 they produced the first...
Are full size headphones generally quieter than in-ear ones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 83/1/13 at 12:49pm
I'm I bit of a noob, but I believe it's just that the in ear earphones would be easier to drive than the larger drivers in the full size headphones. Overall I would think the full size headphones would get way louder if driven from an amp.post #3 of 83/1/13 at 12:53pm
Generally iem's need less power to drive cause they are smaller and have less impedance than fullsize headphones.
So therefore they go louder for the same volume setting.post #4 of 83/1/13 at 12:54pmThread StarterQuote:
So then I shouldn't worry that my in ear buds are louder than the headphones? Hmm, so you say that is expected...post #5 of 83/1/13 at 2:59pmpost #6 of 83/1/13 at 3:02pmThread Starter
Thanks, they are pretty decent nevertheless. I got the Superlux HD681 instead of a Sennheiser HD201 as I found that to be too quiet and quite lacking in bass. This sounds overall more balanced with enough bass and louder that the HD201...post #7 of 83/1/13 at 3:04pmQuote:
Think of it like pulling a wagon, where your effort in pulling is like the volume knob. Your IEMs are a fisher price toy, and you can pull that thing with little to no effort, and you can go pretty fast.
A full-sized is a heavier wagon, and if you put in the same amount of effort as you do with the fisher price toy, you won't go nearly as fast.
When you get a really heavy wagon (hard-to-drive full-sizes or otherwise), thats when you get a motor (an amplifier).
Edited by vaed - 3/1/13 at 3:07pm
- Are full size headphones generally quieter than in-ear ones?
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 51 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › 2016 CanJam @ RMAF, October 7-9, 2016: The Exhibitor List! 1 minute ago
- › Does a better quality USB cable influence sound? 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone 2 minutes ago
- › About the touch wheel on X1 2nd gen --by James 2 minutes ago
- › World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement 2 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 3 minutes ago
- › Long time member need some help getting started in Computer Audio 4 minutes ago
- › audio-technica ATH-A550Z Art-Monitor Headphones by rickyday
- › RHA T20 by Cinder
- › Advanced Sound by gprs007
- › iBasso IT03 by jon parker
- › Arcam irDAC-II - DAC, Headphone Amp, Bluetooth Streamer by crabdog
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by dubbcd
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Remote... by dnun8086
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by peter123
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by FUYU
- › Panasonic sealed earphone high-res sound source Silver RP-HDE10-S by Ralphee
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...