I have a pair of Superlux HD681 headphones and I was comparing them with my cheapo sony in ear earphones and I found them to be a bit quieter than the Sony in ear buds. Are full sized headphones generally quieter? Or can they also be as loud as in ear earphones?
Related Forum Threads
- Help me to choose which headphones to buy! Last post on 11/28/12 at 4:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Comparing Headphones: Which One Is Good? Suggestions? Last post on 11/17/12 at 7:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation thread; need headphones in the ~$150 range (very picky) Last post on 11/12/12 at 1:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which headphone to get Last post on 11/5/12 at 8:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Pioneer SE-M290 vs Superlux HD-681 Last post on 10/10/12 at 9:34am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This review was copy pasted from the Sound Blaster X7 thread with minor edits to make it appeal to broader audience. Intro First of all, I would really like to thank Andrew Sparks, the man...
I first used these as monitoring headphones for recording. They quickly moved out of my home studio and now I use them everywhere. I have one pair at home and one pair at work. I also take them...
The Good: Price/Quality ratio; Comfort; Bass quality/quantity; Musicality; Imaging. The Bad: Requires a powerful amplifier. Tonal Balance: V-Shaped Style: Circumaural semi-open. Cost: $250 at...
Xduoo X3 review : After two months of daily use, the Xduoo X3 give me already enough pleasure to make me want to share my enthusiast impressions about him to headfiers around the...
Coming from Sennheiser HD-600, 580s, Ety ER-4s, Fiio X1s, AKG 701s, Momentum 2.0s, etc. I didn't know exactly what to expect out of this headphones. They are, after all, Sonys. And Sony can build...
Are full size headphones generally quieter than in-ear ones?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 83/1/13 at 12:49pm
I'm I bit of a noob, but I believe it's just that the in ear earphones would be easier to drive than the larger drivers in the full size headphones. Overall I would think the full size headphones would get way louder if driven from an amp.post #3 of 83/1/13 at 12:53pm
Generally iem's need less power to drive cause they are smaller and have less impedance than fullsize headphones.
So therefore they go louder for the same volume setting.post #4 of 83/1/13 at 12:54pmThread StarterQuote:
So then I shouldn't worry that my in ear buds are louder than the headphones? Hmm, so you say that is expected...post #5 of 83/1/13 at 2:59pmpost #6 of 83/1/13 at 3:02pmThread Starter
Thanks, they are pretty decent nevertheless. I got the Superlux HD681 instead of a Sennheiser HD201 as I found that to be too quiet and quite lacking in bass. This sounds overall more balanced with enough bass and louder that the HD201...post #7 of 83/1/13 at 3:04pmQuote:
Think of it like pulling a wagon, where your effort in pulling is like the volume knob. Your IEMs are a fisher price toy, and you can pull that thing with little to no effort, and you can go pretty fast.
A full-sized is a heavier wagon, and if you put in the same amount of effort as you do with the fisher price toy, you won't go nearly as fast.
When you get a really heavy wagon (hard-to-drive full-sizes or otherwise), thats when you get a motor (an amplifier).
Edited by vaed - 3/1/13 at 3:07pm
- Are full size headphones generally quieter than in-ear ones?
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Rockbox Xduoo X3 13 seconds ago
- › Hottest Sonic Electronix deals and promotions. 43 seconds ago
- › Ocharaku Flat4-Sakura Plus (音茶楽 Flat4-緋櫻Plus) 1 minute ago
- › Official Head-Fi Houston Fourth-of-July Weekend Meet: Saturday -... 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 2 minutes ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › $1-$25 USD- Favorite budget in-ear monitors- General consensus... 4 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 4 minutes ago
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › ZhiYin Z2016 by crabdog
- › InEar StageDiver SD-4 (Small) by twister6
- › Stax SR-202 by snapacap
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Deftone
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...