Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ADVICE: How to make the jump into the (not anymore) high-end? – join if you enjoy loooong reading…
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ADVICE: How to make the jump into the (not anymore) high-end? – join if you enjoy loooong reading… - Page 2

post #16 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

Grado!!!!!

 

I really feel that you read my entire post and did your best to help me, that was exactly the type of answer I was looking for, thank you a million times for spend your time writing this meaninful advice!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootsRockReggae View Post

Get the HD650, you won't be disappointed. The senns veil thing is a myth (just like elves, gremlins, and Eskimos). They're great for all music types and very comfortable. Plus if you don't need portable cans then open-back is the way to go. Get them and get ready to have your world flipped upSide down. 

 

Dont get grado. 

 

Thanks, I'll probably avoid Grados, I'm starting to dislike them (even if I've never listened to one).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigsby View Post

Soundmagic HP100, this company makes headphones for at least one or possibly more of the brands you mentioned above and now make their own. Cant recommend them enough. I have 6-10 pairs of cans ranging from $169-$700ish, and ive auditioned and reviewed piles of headphones... literally everything, and these are the best all rounder to date. These are all big statements, i know, but these headphones IMHO well deserve it. 9.5/10- my highest personal rating yet. $249AUD. Not sure on local pricing.

 

Review Here

 

One of the guys there reviewing these while i was there is a die-hard senn 600+650 owner and started by telling me (before he tried anything) that no matter how good they are, they will never beat these (holding up his crusty old pairs of Senns with saggy pads). Then he certainly changed his tune afterward and was buying either HP100 or Vtrue when i left.

 

Errrr... no.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStyles View Post

Grado is a good choice, but he wants comfortable. Sennheisers are a good. choise or maybe a he400

 

Ok, thanks for your time... I guess.

post #17 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX View Post

Heya,

 

I'm thinking

 

Hifiman HE-400

Beyer DT880 250ohm

AKG Q701

Sony MA900

Sennheiser HD600

 

Very best,

 

Thanks. Any reason not to include HD650? Also, is this list in order of preference?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 View Post

To the OP, all high end Grado's headbands are covered in real leather, just tought you should know.

 

And about Sennheiser's famous ''veil'', i used to own HD600s wich i tought sounded fine, until i compared them to Grado's RS1. The difference wasn't subtle, the Grados sounded more detailed, so, as far as i'm concerned, the ''veil'' is real, but it depends on personal experience, i guess.

 

My suggestion to you would be the Audeze HE400, i had the chance to hear them about a year ago, so it was a while back, but i remember thinking that they're a best buy in their price range.

 

Thanks, it's indeed good to know. Well, definitely ruled Grados out then.

About the HD600, have you had the chance to compare to other phones? If yes, do you still think they're veiled in comparison, or is it just in comparison to the RS1?

post #18 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post

I was worried about the HD650 veil before I got them, too. I definitely do not want a boring sounding headphone or something too muddy. But after deciding on the HD650's after a deal popped up, I don't think they're veiled or without detail at all. It's just that the treble is laid-back. The details are still there, but they're not in your face and they aren't fatiguing at all. They've turned me away from Grados, which I now think are far too harsh and unpleasant to listen to. Plus, the HD-650's are much more comfortable, and unlike a lot of other nicer cans, they're lightweight. I tried a friend's HD600s and found them overly bright for my tastes, but I think he might have EQ'd a U-curve into it.

 

Yes, that's indeed my biggest worry. But as everyone really suggest HD600/HD650, I think I'll probably order the HD650 to see if I like it. Maybe having nothing to compare to will be a good think after all, maybe I won't even be aware of any "veil"... Besides, I really like my SHE9850, which is called "a bit veiled" on some reviews, and I think it's completely fine. Do you have any experience with the genres I listen to?

 

Thanks :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmstrmbn View Post

I think your barking up the right tree with the HD 600 or the HD 650.  I have the HD 600 and had the opportunity to compare both back to back about a year ago (at the time I had Senn's HD 555)  I ended up going with the HD 600 because I felt it struck a better balance between warmth and excitement.  I listen to everything from folk, to classical, to prog rock etc.  To me the HD 600 was the clear winner as It could sooth me with some sweet jazz one minute then get me headbanging with Metallica the next.  

 

The 650 definitely was more suited to less complex music like acoustic, vocal or small jazz sets.  In these areas it probably beat the 600s.  You state a preference for indie rock and alternative.  I find the 600s right at home with these genres.  Unfortunately I don't remember how well the 650s performed for comparison.  

 

If I had to choose all over again I would still get the 600s, the more prominent treble and less prominent bass hump suit me much more.  

 

Let me wrap up by saying both of these phones are considered warm and will wrap you in a musical cocoon for hours.  The final decision between the two comes down to how tightly wrapped you would like to be.  Think of the 650s as a smooth milk chocolate, still chocolate but with some sugar added for sweetness.  The 600s are more of a mild dark, closer to a straight 100% dark chocolate but still sweet enough to enjoy the rich flavor without any of the bitterness.

 

Do you think HD650 would have some problem (or would be not so good) with more "rock" music? I keep reading people saying its indeed better for acoustic/vocals, but I'm not sure I understand why... I mean, I can't understand how headphones can be called "slow", what exaclty that means?

 

You are the first person I see using "HD600" and "excitement" together, I often see people calling them neutral, never "fun" or something like that... Or did you think HD650 were so warm/mellow/whatever they would make HD600 exciting?

 

Oh, really liked the chocolate comparison! I would probably pick the milk chocolate anyday, so maybe that's a sign... ;P

 

Thanks :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigo View Post

I enjoyed my HD650 with alternative and progressive rock as well as the female vocals you've listed and think it's a good choice for those genres where the midrange is presented slightly more prominently, while not being depending on skull thumping bass (plenty of well controlled bass) or sacrificing too much treble.  New HD650's may have higher clamping force from the headband, but after a bit of use, they become very comfortable for most head shapes.  

 

I heard about the clamping force, but it's not something I'm too worried, since it seems to loose a little over time. I'm probably going with HD650 now, and return it if I don't like for some reason (hope not). Thanks for the advice :)


Edited by jcdamascenojr - 3/2/13 at 10:00am
post #19 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barid View Post

I'd echo the above suggestion of the HD650 or the HE400.

 

The HD650 is a very pleasing / easy to enjoy sound that does a number of genres very well.  The drawback I felt was that it is not agressive and feels more laid back, however if you have nothing to compare it too and are not going back and forth between headphones, this is an issue I don't think someone would even notice.  If nothing else, it's a good place to start.

 

I only heard the HE400 briefly but was very impressed.  The sound signature seamed geared toward 'fun', not as laid back as the HD650.  And since you did not list HiFi Man as one of your preferred brands to buy, the HD650 seams to be a better fit.

 

I read lots of good things about HE-400 (including many who consider them an upgrade to the Senns), and got really interested to listen if they are everything everybody says. But the problem is that I can't. And HiFiMan is known only by very few people, all of them audiophiles, here in Brazil. If for some reason I didn't like them, I guess it would be pretty hard to sell $500 phones that no one ever heard about :( Besides, I can't imagine them being confortable at all (although I obviously have never worn them, so I can't say)

 

Do you have any experience with the HD600?

 

Thanks :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

I listen to much of the same music as you (indie and classic rock) and I think that the HD600/650 would be a great choice. The 650 has a bit more bass emphasis, but I like the HD600 a bit better. It's slightly warm and that might cause some people to call it veiled, but it smoothes over a lot of flaws and almost everything is listenable (even poorly recorded tracks). It's a great all-rounder. If you mainly listen to rock, I'd say the 600 is better than the 650, since you won't need the bass emphasis.

 

Personally, I also love my Audio-Technica AD2000, but that might be a bit out of your budget (and it's not as forgiving; the HD600 might be the most forgiving mid-fi headphone).

 

EDIT: A lot of people like the "Grado sound," but I've found that it's a love it/hate it type deal. I hate Grados (and they have peaky treble, which I don't think you'd like), so I wouldn't recommend it.

 

Thanks :) You are the third person saying HD600 would be better than HD650 for my tastes, and that's a big problem, because I was almost ordering the HD650!!! LOL

 

There's a voice in my head saying to get the HD650, since I find the HD600 finish completely ugly, like it was some $10 phones... And if I add the cost of an extra HD650 cable (the only aftermarket cable I'd buy, since it's cheap, seems a lot more durable, and won't need the 1/8>1/4 adaptor) they are priced almost the same... And there's the problem that I can't listen to them before buying, not an issue with HD650. On the other hand, I know it's completely crazy to get something that sounds "not so good" just because they look better (it reminds me of Beats!)

 

Could you just say a bit more why do you think the HD600 would be a better fit? Also, would you still recommend it even if it was priced the same (or even a bit higher) as HD650?

 

Oh, and liked your avatar ;D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post

The HD650 are crazypants comfortable and very light.  Even though I've moved to the HE-500, I still use the HD650 for multi-hour video-gaming sessions.  Keep in mind, though, that I don't have much experience with different brands.  I went from Grado SR80i to Sennheiser HD650 (and stayed with them an an E9 for about two years!) to the HiFiMan HE-500.  In DACs I went from E7 to HRT MusicStreamer ii+.  In amps, I went with the FiiO E9 and then bought (and heartily regret) the JDS Labs O2 when I jumped up to the HE-500.  I just bought a Schiit Magni and my HE-500 are finally hitting on all cylinders!  Even on Spotify, I'm hearing things that are making me jump and dance and just grin like an idiot.

 

If there's ANY way you can save up a little more scratch or go used, can you consider the HE-500?  The HE-400 MIGHT do it for ya, and I have no experience with them.  HiFiMan are know for having quality problems, however.  Your safest bet is the HD650 or HD600.  Light, comfy, a total revolution from low-end cans, and although they're not quite amp-sluts, they do work with a great many different amps.

 

I could actualy buy HE-500 if I wanted to, but I promised myself that I would not enter the diminishing returns world (and I think I'm almost there already). If I cross that line now, I can see myself saving for some Stax in near future! LOL Besides, I really want to enjoy every part of this hobby, so what's the fun going right to the top? Maybe someday I'll get there (hope not ;p), but not today. Having said that, I really considered HE-400, but ruled it out for the reasons above.

 

Could you please say why you regret buying the O2? Did you paired it with the Senn or just the HE-500?

 

Thanks :)


Edited by jcdamascenojr - 3/2/13 at 10:25am
post #20 of 50

I followed disastermouse's issue with the O2.  He felt he didn't get enough performance with his dac and the O2 with the 2.5x gain option.  The standard high gain (6.5x) option will clip the input of the O2 and sound like a hot mess in you have more than 1V of input from the dac.

post #21 of 50
Quote:

Do you think HD650 would have some problem (or would be not so good) with more "rock" music? I keep reading people saying its indeed better for acoustic/vocals, but I'm not sure I understand why... I mean, I can't understand how headphones can be called "slow", what exaclty that means?

 

You are the first person I see using "HD600" and "excitement" togheter, I often see people calling them neutral, never "fun" or something like that... Or did you think HD650 were so warm/mellow/whatever they would make HD600 exciting?

 

 

To answer your first question a headphone is typically deemed "slow" if it has a tipped up/ muddy mid bass.  For complex genres like rock or large scale classical you want a tight mid bass so that each kick drum or timpani or whatever is individually delineated.  Furthermore, you'll want a fast decay after the attack otherwise you will lose accuracy and the driving rhythm of the song, making it seem slower.  You have probably experienced this in a car system.  The 650 will NOT be as bad as a tipped up car system and is not a concern for most people, but in comparison to the 600 it will seem bloated and slow.

 

I agree the 600 is close to neutral.  Compared to the 650 it has a more prominent treble and a more toed-in bass but what I mean by excitement is the energy it conveys.  When I listened to rock through the 650 i thought it sounded to subdued and laid back, I wanted to rock out not sip tea and nod politely as the 650 led me through the twists and turns of my favorite Dream Theater albums.  For this reason I felt the 600 was more of the all-rounder.  When compared to other more lean phones however I would consider the 600 just as polite and boring as the 650.

 

Hope this makes sense.

post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdamascenojr View Post

I read lots of good things about HE-400 (including many who consider them an upgrade to the Senns), and got really interested to listen if they are everything everybody says. But the problem is that I can't. And HiFiMan is know only by very few people, all of them audiophiles, here in Brazil. If for some reason I didn't like them, I guess it would be pretty hard to sell $500 phones that no one ever heard about frown.gif Besides, I can't imagine them being confortable at all (although I obviously have never worn them, so I can't say)

Do you have any experience with the HD600?

Thanks smily_headphones1.gif


Thanks smily_headphones1.gif You are the third person saying HD600 would be better than HD650 for my tastes, and that's a big problem, because I was almost ordering the HD650!!! LOL

There's a voice in my head saying to get the HD650, since I find the HD600 finish completely ugly, like it was some $10 phones... And if I add the cost of an extra HD650 cable (the only aftermarket cable I'd buy, since it's cheap, seems a lot more durable, and won't need the 1/8>1/4 adaptor) they are priced almost the same... And there's the problem that I can't listen to them before buying, not an issue with HD650. On the other hand, I know it's completely crazy to get something that sounds "not so good" just because they look better (it reminds me of Beats!)


Could you just say a bit more why do you think the HD600 would be a better fit? Also, would you still recommend it even if it was priced the same (or even a bit higher) as HD650?

Oh, and liked your avatar ;D


I could actualy buy HE-500 if I wanted to, but I promised myself that I would not enter the dimishing returns world (and I think I'm almost there already). If I cross that line now, I can see myself saving for some Stax in near future! LOL Besides, I really want to enjoy every part of this hobby, so what's the fun going right to the top? Maybe someday I'll get there (hope not ;p), but not today. Having said that, I really considered HE-400, but ruled it out for the reasons above.


Could you please say why you regret buying the O2? Did you paired it with the Senn or just the HE-500?

Thanks smily_headphones1.gif
The O2 doesn't play nice with my DAC and low-gain didn't drive them loud enough. I've been told that the power chord/wall wart is underpowered and one that channels more power would help - but the sound overall was thin and not up to par. It works better with my HD650, but the Magni works better and costs less to boot. However Schiit doesn't provide a non-U.S. wall wart for it so you'd have to find one and the specifications are rather specific. You might have to go through trial and error to find the correct one.

I can't imagine that you'd be disappointed with the HD650 simply because the nuances where it falls down in comparison to more expensive headphones are treble and speed. Most beginners to this hobby aren't treble heads and the HD650 is such a huge upgrade to common headphones that I don't think you'd notice. Treble heads seem to gravitate to Grados or AKG headphones in the same price range - but those trade out the treble and speed/energy flaws of the HD650 for their own flaws (to my understanding - I've only heard the Grado SR80i and never heard AKGs). Hopefully people with more experience with AKG and Beyerdynamic can chime in.

Don't think of the jump from HD650 to HE-500 as a case of diminishing returns - properly amped, the jump from HD650 to HE-500 is pretty astonishing. Planar magnetics ('orthodynamics') have pickier amp requirements though. It's part of the reason I'm mighty impressed that a $99 Magni drives them so well.
post #23 of 50
Quote:


Don't think of the jump from HD650 to HE-500 as a case of diminishing returns - properly amped, the jump from HD650 to HE-500 is pretty astonishing. Planar magnetics ('orthodynamics') have pickier amp requirements though. It's part of the reason I'm mighty impressed that a $99 Magni drives them so well.

It is quite the opposite the hd650's are much pickier then the HE-400's.

Edit for grammar 


Edited by ShiftySound - 3/2/13 at 11:30am
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftySound View Post

It is quite the opposite the hd650's are much more pickier then the HE-400's.

Besides the fact that nothing is 'more pickier' in standard English, I'd have to say that the HD650 worked passably well on my E9 and even my dismal O2.  The HE-500 needed more total power.  I'd concede that the HD650 seems by all reports to get very different/better results from different/better amps, but I'd say that objectively (get it?) the HE-500 has very specific power needs.  I have no experience with other orthos and was generalizing based on the HE-500 as I've heard as much from other head-fiers.

post #25 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by disastermouse View Post


The O2 doesn't play nice with my DAC and low-gain didn't drive them loud enough. I've been told that the power chord/wall wart is underpowered and one that channels more power would help - but the sound overall was thin and not up to par. It works better with my HD650, but the Magni works better and costs less to boot. However Schiit doesn't provide a non-U.S. wall wart for it so you'd have to find one and the specifications are rather specific. You might have to go through trial and error to find the correct one.

I can't imagine that you'd be disappointed with the HD650 simply because the nuances where it falls down in comparison to more expensive headphones are treble and speed. Most beginners to this hobby aren't treble heads and the HD650 is such a huge upgrade to common headphones that I don't think you'd notice. Treble heads seem to gravitate to Grados or AKG headphones in the same price range - but those trade out the treble and speed/energy flaws of the HD650 for their own flaws (to my understanding - I've only heard the Grado SR80i and never heard AKGs). Hopefully people with more experience with AKG and Beyerdynamic can chime in.

Don't think of the jump from HD650 to HE-500 as a case of diminishing returns - properly amped, the jump from HD650 to HE-500 is pretty astonishing. Planar magnetics ('orthodynamics') have pickier amp requirements though. It's part of the reason I'm mighty impressed that a $99 Magni drives them so well.

 

Thank you. I'll definitely search a bit more about the O2 now if I ever decided to buy an amp. It's really strange to hear your experience, since I'd guess NwAvGuy must have tested it exhaustively with his HD650... That's also why I've never been fan of Schiit, you know, cause of that issue... But maybe I change my mind after listening to one of their products, who knows... Of course, I don't plan to get an amp if I don't need one, so I'm just dreaming here.

 

Anyway, thanks for the HE-500 suggestion, but I'll save it for another time. I plan to travel to US maybe next year, and one of the thngs on my "bucket list" there is to listen to those cans I'll never be able to audition around here. Definitely added both HE-400 and HE-500 to it.

 

Out of curiosity, what did you think about the SR80i?

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmstrmbn View Post

 

To answer your first question a headphone is typically deemed "slow" if it has a tipped up/ muddy mid bass.  For complex genres like rock or large scale classical you want a tight mid bass so that each kick drum or timpani or whatever is individually delineated.  Furthermore, you'll want a fast decay after the attack otherwise you will lose accuracy and the driving rhythm of the song, making it seem slower.  You have probably experienced this in a car system.  The 650 will NOT be as bad as a tipped up car system and is not a concern for most people, but in comparison to the 600 it will seem bloated and slow.

 

I agree the 600 is close to neutral.  Compared to the 650 it has a more prominent treble and a more toed-in bass but what I mean by excitement is the energy it conveys.  When I listened to rock through the 650 i thought it sounded to subdued and laid back, I wanted to rock out not sip tea and nod politely as the 650 led me through the twists and turns of my favorite Dream Theater albums.  For this reason I felt the 600 was more of the all-rounder.  When compared to other more lean phones however I would consider the 600 just as polite and boring as the 650.

 

Hope this makes sense.

 

Thanks, now it makes a lot more sense! Since I don't have a car I think I've never paid attention to this effect, but I'll definitely listen carefully to it next time I get inside one! :)

Maybe that's why people recommend them more to acoustic/vocals, cause they don't emphasise percussion that much?

 

I don't know if it's possible to think this way, but how much would you say HD600/HD650 differ from each other? I mean, it's like a 0,1% difference? 5%? Night and day? Do you think someone who never listened to any of them would notice? Or it's so small you can only perceive it if you compare both side by side?

 

Thanks again for your help :)


Edited by jcdamascenojr - 3/3/13 at 5:23pm
post #26 of 50
Thread Starter 

Well, it seems the previous 4~5 flaming posts were deleted (probably by mod/admin), so I guess we can continue from here wink.gif


Edited by jcdamascenojr - 3/3/13 at 5:50pm
post #27 of 50
I'm not a fan of the SR80i, but I can see WHY Grado has its fans.

The HD650 is a touch polite for rock but it does so much right that I forgave it. The HE-500 had all that the HD650 lacked while doing what the HD650 does and doing it better.

I've been harsh on the O2 because it didn't work for my application. It's inexpensive enough and there are enough positive reviews to warrant trying it out yourself if you're so inclined.
Edited by disastermouse - 3/3/13 at 10:25pm
post #28 of 50
Well, you might get a lot of flak for saying this! However, Bose QC15 sounds pretty good actually. I'm actually getting one for its noise cancelling function, which it is still the best in the market.
post #29 of 50
I don't understand how/why Grado has been "definitely ruled out" and how you can even form an opinion to "dislike them" - have you ever heard or used one? I'm not trying to start a lot of drama, I just fear you're not giving them a fair shake.

Regarding what headphones you should consider, I have three different opinions based on reading your introductory post, and you'll have to decide which one you like (and I really have no emotional investment in any of them over another - get what you want, because as the saying goes, if you don't love it in the store, you won't wear it on the street).

Firstly, the AKG K701 are worth mentioning here - they'll do a respectable job with the music you've outlined, as well as music you haven't (they're competent all-around headphones). They're also fairly comfortable (some people complain about the bumps on the headband, which wasn't a complaint for me, but it's out there - iirc the K702 lacks the bumps). I like these as a suggestion also because you mentioned them being available locally - I'm of the mind that you might want to try them first (more or less no matter what), simply because then you'll know if they're for you, and they're one of the few options that can be returned if you're unsatisfied. Sound-wise, they're fairly leveled out, lean a little bit towards bright, and have a very wide/large soundstage (somewhat unnatural compared to a lot of other headphones, but it doesn't make music sound unnatural).


Secondly, Sennheiser does deserve a mention. My criticisms are related to price/performance (due to their recent MAP-enforcement), and voicing. Regarding voicing, I think the "veil" is a little bit over-blown as a phenomenon (I haven't heard the 650; I owned the 580 for a number of years, and tried them with the grilles off (which is fairly similar to the 600), the 650 are supposed to be darker still though) - but you should still recognize that they're relatively laid-back headphones with a treble roll-off (it isn't dramatic, but it's there). I think they'd be fine with the music you want to listen to, but they aren't a "toe tapping" headphone IMHO; they do a fine job, and I agree with the general thrust that they're a good candidate as a "first time" purchase because of how generally liveable they are (I don't think anyone could really hate them, they sound good, fit well enough, etc). I'd agree with disastermouse's comments about the bass not being like an over-done car system, and the "faults" not being a huge issue for someone with limited experience (I'd add that basically any good, top-tier headphone would fit into that). My big gripe is the price - the HD 600 run $399 thanks to the MAP, and I don't think they're "twice as good" as the SR-225 or K701 (which are both around $200-$250); I think this fits into the "spend double for 3%" thing fairly well, unfortunately. And based on that, it's a tougher suggestion. That said, you won't get their sound anywhere else - so they do certainly provide something unique.

Thirdly, Grado (specifically the SR-225). I think they will hit your "get into the music" better than the AKGs or Sennheisers, and they're quite comfortable (imho). They're also very easily driven. Sound-wise, they'll be brighter than the AKGs, but it isn't clash-and-trash like a lot of stereotypically bright headphones (I would posit this is a function of their relatively warm and clear tonal balance). Given the kinds of music you listed, I can't think of a better suggestion as far as sound or features. They're also (likely) the least expensive option, and I think they'd be a very good fit for you. The primary concern I'd have related to a Prestige series headphone (the "SR" headphones), would be the relatively small/narrow soundstage - it isn't dysfunctional, but it isn't going to show up the AKG or Sennheiser. Basically if gaming or movies are a concern, I'd look at the AKG or Sennheiser perhaps a bit more seriously.

I think any of these three would be a good choice, and that you'd probably enjoy any of them - the AKG and Sennheiser should have some consideration given to amplification (the AKG because they're relatively insensitive, and the Sennheiser because they're relatively high impedance + reactive), but honestly all three are suitable candidates. The Grado should be the least expensive, but don't have the best soundstage on the block, the Sennheiser are expensive for what they are, and the AKG are a good "middle of the road" choice (and also, based on the OP, returnable as well). I can answer more specific questions about the above comments if that helps too.

Regarding the Bose suggestion, I like the QC15 quite a lot as a closed headphone, but I don't think they'd be my first choice for rock'n'roll. They're very comfortable and fairly well balanced as headphones go, but not without their own quirks. The AE2 will be substantially more forgiving (if you listen to a lot of "bad" stuff, the AE2 will do better than any of the above, including the QC15), and a fairly warm and relaxed headphone, the fault with the AE2 is that they're substantially more forgiving as well. redface.gif They're less money than the rest, but I'm not sure they're a good suggestion unless you need a very forgiving and easy-going headphone - generally I'm more apt to suggest the AE2 for multimedia content versus pure music listening.
post #30 of 50

I'll be posting a 580/600/650 review late this week, but I'll offer the spoiler that I think the HD 600 is probably the best Audiophile headphone under $500. 

 

K701 is good, but a bit bright and fatiguing to my ears.

 

Everyone knows my thoughts on Grados. The 225 is one of the best in the line, but sorry, they're just way off.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ADVICE: How to make the jump into the (not anymore) high-end? – join if you enjoy loooong reading…