Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bigsby’s top cans for 2013: ep1 Soundmagic HP100- The Beyer Slayer, The Mid Monster, The Detail Demon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bigsby’s top cans for 2013: ep1 Soundmagic HP100- The Beyer Slayer, The Mid Monster, The Detail... - Page 2

post #16 of 94
Thread Starter 
I preferred them over the FA003 ti, although they are also really really nice. I find the hp100 irisistable
Edited by mrbigsby - 3/2/13 at 2:25pm
post #17 of 94

On sale right now for $199.00 on Amazon (hundred bucks off) with free 2nd day air shipping if you have PRIME: http://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-HP100-Premium-Folding-Headphones/dp/B0086YJ86Y

post #18 of 94

.


Edited by MacGruber - 3/2/13 at 8:44pm
post #19 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigsby View Post

I preferred them over the FA003 ti, although they are also really really nice. I find the hp100 irisistable

 

Oh, even better. I was curious about the ti, but ran away after they said their signature soundstage was unchanged.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

On sale right now for $199.00 on Amazon (hundred bucks off) with free 2nd day air shipping if you have PRIME: http://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-HP100-Premium-Folding-Headphones/dp/B0086YJ86Y

 

It's actually been that price since they were first available on Amazon. wink.gif

post #20 of 94
Thread Starter 
I actually found the Ti to sound quite different to my other FA-003 drivers. A definite improvement. Not sure about soundstaging in particular though. Bass response and clarity is where i noticed it most.
Edited by mrbigsby - 3/3/13 at 12:58pm
post #21 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

Great review! I'm still looking for a closed can to settle on, this seems like an excellent prospect.

 

I wonder how it compares to the FA003/HM5 as far as balance/neutrality. Hated the HM5's echoey soundstage.

I too prefer the HP100s to my FA003s.  It's no contest for me really.  The FA003 come off as boomy and cavernous while the HP100s have some of the best bass I have ever heard... ever.  All the while retaining fantastic detail retrieval and very satisfying mids.  

 

For those who don't like it broken down into highs, mids and lows; the HP100s are some of the most coherent, balanced headphones I have ever heard.  They are super comfortable to boot and cost $200.  These things even put the Yahama Pro500s to shame when I briefly had them.

 

I game with them, I listen to music with them.  They handle everything just about perfectly for me.  

 

 

 

*edit* - Oh and I prefer the HP100s to both A900Xs and K550s as well.  The A900Xs, which do sound pretty great gave me comfort issues and still couldn't quite match the refinement of the HP100s.  The K550s came off as thin and lacking bass unless I had an airtight seal, which was hard to achieve.  

 

Still the HP100s prevail.  They sit on my desk and watch pair after pair of headphones arrive only to shortly leave because none of them can quite match the HP100s.


Edited by draven5494 - 3/2/13 at 8:55pm
post #22 of 94

Fantastic headphones.  I had issues with ear-driver contact, though.  I would have kept them if it weren't for that issue.  My A900Xs may have a slightly wonkier fit, but at least my ears don't touch the drivers.

post #23 of 94

201209181054039.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I agree the FA-003 may not be a technically accomplished phone but they have some good tone and density which some may find muscially appealing.

 

Anyone tried the Soundmagic HP003 yet ?

post #24 of 94
Thread Starter 
I'm dying to get my hands on those! Any details on them? Are there other wood choices?
post #25 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeni View Post

201209181054039.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I agree the FA-003 may not be a technically accomplished phone but they have some good tone and density which some may find muscially appealing.

 

Anyone tried the Soundmagic HP003 yet ?

 

I'm pretty sure it's the Soundmagic HP 300. ;-)

 

I'd love to listen to them. or just buy a set (depending of course on the price) -

any idea where to get them in the States?

post #26 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5494 View Post

I too prefer the HP100s to my FA003s.  It's no contest for me really.  The FA003 come off as boomy and cavernous while the HP100s have some of the best bass I have ever heard... ever.  All the while retaining fantastic detail retrieval and very satisfying mids.  

 

For those who don't like it broken down into highs, mids and lows; the HP100s are some of the most coherent, balanced headphones I have ever heard.  They are super comfortable to boot and cost $200.  These things even put the Yahama Pro500s to shame when I briefly had them.

 

I game with them, I listen to music with them.  They handle everything just about perfectly for me.  

 

*edit* - Oh and I prefer the HP100s to both A900Xs and K550s as well.  The A900Xs, which do sound pretty great gave me comfort issues and still couldn't quite match the refinement of the HP100s.  The K550s came off as thin and lacking bass unless I had an airtight seal, which was hard to achieve.  

 

Still the HP100s prevail.  They sit on my desk and watch pair after pair of headphones arrive only to shortly leave because none of them can quite match the HP100s.

 

Thanks for the comments and comparisons! I can relate to the A900X, K550 and (HM5).

 

These are really starting to sound like "my" headphone. I thought the MDR-1R was close after a drastic overhaul in the EQ, but I'd prefer the bare-bones sound to be already where I want it. The FA003 / HM5 did a pretty good job at keeping the sound somewhat neutral, but as I mentioned, the soundstage just killed it for me. Not really a huge fan of it's gigantic earcups either. And it's interesting you prefer the HP100 to the FA003 by such a large margin. That gets my hopes up... that I may have finally found a closed headphone that is pretty flat across the board.

 

Do those shiny cups scratch easily? Are the earpads replaceable/removable?

post #27 of 94
Thread Starter 

pads remove and go back on easily and cleanly. My cups havent scratched at all. I wouldnt say these are completely flat, as they have a bit of a bass spike. Dont let any descriptions get in your way, try them for your self- they are extremely impressive and satisfying. Im confident you will love them!

post #28 of 94

Bloody hell. I need to go down to NoisyMotel this week. Luckily it's payweek.


Edited by jay-w - 3/3/13 at 12:18am
post #29 of 94
Thread Starter 

demo them first, you wont be sorry!

My wife now wants a pair too, so i put my almost new DT770 on the market here to fund another pair of HP100!

post #30 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazex View Post

I'm pretty sure it's the Soundmagic HP 300. ;-)

I'd love to listen to them. or just buy a set (depending of course on the price) -
any idea where to get them in the States?

If there is one pair of headphones I'd like to hear, it's the HP300. If the HP100 can sound that good with plastic cups then wood cups should take it to the next level. I am now on the hunt for these. smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Bigsby’s top cans for 2013: ep1 Soundmagic HP100- The Beyer Slayer, The Mid Monster, The Detail Demon.