I read through the thread and it appeared that many still disagreed with that assumption. Do you know when they made that change?
Related Forum Threads
- good isolators portable headphones, for under 100 Last post on 8/8/13 at 7:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The wait for new headphones! Last post on 1/7/13 at 7:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones around 100$ Last post on 12/7/12 at 11:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over the ear headphones under $200 Last post on 12/16/12 at 12:47pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphones for the office: ATH-M50 vs. M-Audio Q40 Last post on 10/16/12 at 9:55am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank CTC Audio for providing me with a review sample of T-Peos Baguette IEMs in exchange for my honest opinion. This IEM is available at...
At the time this review was written, the T-Peos Amadeus dual hybrid earphone was on sale for $79.00 USD on CTC Audio’s website. Here is a link to a listing of their product at the time of the...
I recently upgraded my 16GB version to 64GB for less than 200 bucks. I wanted to upgrade to the newer models, but I'm not going to waste my money on something that can play the same music for more...
I am not an audiophile myself, rather a music lover, searching for the holy grail of SQ that repoduces life-like sound out from records BUILD QUALITY (CRAFTSMANSHIP) Very well done here,...
Cayin N6 Pros-quality build & sound, UI, neutralish, amp not needed Cons-battery life could be longer, large, gets warm Settings- low gain, soft, no eq. Note: I had an...
Headphone Hipsters - Page 2post #16 of 292/28/13 at 5:06pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 292/28/13 at 5:51pmQuote:1. Many more senior voices in forums such as Head-Fi have come out of the woodwork to fight the vicious cycle of first-time headphone buyers immediately recommending their only headphone to other first-timers. Up until recently, whenever a question was asked to an online audiophile community, newer members who had only owned the M50 jumped into the conversation and claimed the M50 as the best thing ever until other voices were simply drowned out. Since they’d never tried any other similarly-priced can, these people had no frame of reference and were more likely to overhype (think Beats). Now, many dissident members have taken back control of these discussions and lead to a more educated decision based on each person’s preferences.
This is the main reason why I think the M50 seems less...impressive than it used to be. I never really loved the M50 (no idea what color the box was because it was a demo pair), but I can see why some people would. It has a very commercial sound that would entice a lot of people who haven't heard any better. I just couldn't handle the pretty bad mids and the rather sloppy bass.post #18 of 292/28/13 at 6:24pmpost #19 of 292/28/13 at 6:34pmpost #20 of 292/28/13 at 6:53pmQuote:
Ah I see, well I guess I could of reworded it to be more fair... as I have not actually heard the M50 so the sound quality may not have changed that drastically or to some listeners maybe not in a negative way at all.post #21 of 292/28/13 at 8:02pmQuote:
That's possible. However, the kind of snobbery that dismisses something simply because it's become "too popular" has been around long before hipsters. I just think this hipster mentality has gotten quite mainstream, so it bleeds out to more people, in more areas, faster. In that sense, it is noticeable.post #22 of 292/28/13 at 8:21pm
M50's were pretty overhyped in the past but they are still a great value. Was dumb of ATH to modify them when they peaked in popularity.
I think the DT770 Pro/80 are a better choice if you don't need the extra portability.
Edited by Supertoaster - 2/28/13 at 8:31pmpost #23 of 292/28/13 at 8:29pmQuote:
I absolutely disagree. I returned those after 2 weeks and lost a 15% restocking fee and the shipping to return them. Used an O2 amp with 0/2.5 dB gain setting. Way too much treble and the bass seemed to drown out everything else when it was called upon. TSSSSSS TSSSSSS TSSSSSS BOOOOOOOM TSSSSSS TSSSSSSS TSSSSSS BOOOOOM! My ears were dead tired after 2 songs.post #24 of 292/28/13 at 8:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by sonitus mirus
I absolutely disagree. I returned those after 2 weeks and lost a 15% restocking fee and the shipping to return them. Used an O2 amp with 0/2.5 dB gain setting. Way too much treble and the bass seemed to drown out everything else when it was called upon. TSSSSSS TSSSSSS TSSSSSS BOOOOOOOM TSSSSSS TSSSSSSS TSSSSSS BOOOOOM! My ears were dead tired after 2 songs.
Are you comparing them to the M50? I thought the M50 also had sparkly treble and a bass emphasis with recessed mids.
I think a lot of people can agree that beyers sound signature is really take it or leave it. some seem to love it and others despise it. I also think it takes a lot of mental burn in instead of physical burn in.
btw, if you disliked the DT770 because of those reasons you would LOVE the DT990's. muahahaha
Edited by Supertoaster - 2/28/13 at 8:37pmpost #25 of 292/28/13 at 8:51pm
Yep, bought a pair of M50s from Amazon for $108 with free shipping (Amazon Prime membership) that I have been using at work.
I was looking for an upgrade and trusted Malveaux's reviews based on the fact that we both seemed to really love the Denon D5000. He stated in some comment that he liked the D770 over the M50, and these seemed likely to have a similar sound signature that I enjoy, so when the price was right I jumped on the deal and ordered a pair. I NEVER return things, and this is the only product I can recall that I have returned after purchasing online.
I did not think the Beyer's were an improvement over the M50s. If anything, it was a sideways difference, but certainly not an improvement to my ears. I think the m50 is a solid headphone that sounds very good with many different genres. I'd highly recommend them for the right price. The biggest issue is that these headphones are difficult to find under $150, which drastically reduces their value. At $100 bucks these are awesome, but good luck finding them now at this price.
Edited by sonitus mirus - 2/28/13 at 8:53pmpost #26 of 292/28/13 at 11:30pm
Let's not forget that competition in the price range of the M50s has really increased in recent years. They used to be quite competitive, and still are to a degree. However, they aren't the best choice for anyone looking for neutrality. There are now other options in the same price range that some people are going to find to be better sounding. I think this is the main reason why you don't see them being recommended as much.post #27 of 293/1/13 at 7:51pmpost #28 of 293/1/13 at 9:31pm
- Headphone Hipsters
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 43 seconds ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand + Appreciation 59 seconds ago
- › 11th Calgary Head-Fi Meet Sunday May 31st, 2015 at University of... 1 minute ago
- › Review: Estron Linum BaX --- New IEM Cable for a New Age 5 minutes ago
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (The IEM Bass club) 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . Lurker0 FW Mod... 6 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 8 minutes ago
- › T-Peos Baguette Dynamic Earphones by twister6
- › T-Peos Amadeus dual hybrid in-ear monitor with microphone and remote by Hisoundfi
- › Apple iPhone 4S 16GB - AT&T - Black by snellemin
- › OPPO HA-2 by gerelmx1986
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by peareye
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by dnun8086
- › Luxury & Precision LP5 32bit DSD Portable Lossless Music Player by daduy
- › AWEI ES-900i Headset Earphones Speakers with Mic for Smart Phone -... by mrplt
- › AKG K712 Pro by KopaZ
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by twister6
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2