I read through the thread and it appeared that many still disagreed with that assumption. Do you know when they made that change?
Related Forum Threads
- good isolators portable headphones, for under 100 Last post on 8/8/13 at 7:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The wait for new headphones! Last post on 1/7/13 at 7:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones around 100$ Last post on 12/7/12 at 11:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over the ear headphones under $200 Last post on 12/16/12 at 12:47pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphones for the office: ATH-M50 vs. M-Audio Q40 Last post on 10/16/12 at 9:55am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have owned my Audeze LCD 3f for about one year and have enjoyed the headphone immensely. The one thing that bothered me about the LCD 3 was the fact that they just seem to always be slightly...
-- The RBH EP3 is a brand new model succeeding the EP1 & EP2. ~ All photos were taken by me, no stock pictures from the manufacturer were used ~ *Packaging* Simple Box, but...
In 2012 Burson Audio introduced the Musician Series of headphone amplifiers that brought significant technical enhancements to their popular classic HA-160 line. Acknowledging that even the best...
Audio Technica has a long history of making wood-cupped headphones, both in limited edition and production models. The W2002, their first famous limited edition model, is now a highly...
Being a proud yet protective grandpa I was very interested when Brainwavz offered to let me review a pair of sound level attenuated headphones for kids. I would love to pass on my...
Headphone Hipsters - Page 2post #16 of 292/28/13 at 5:06pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 292/28/13 at 5:51pmQuote:1. Many more senior voices in forums such as Head-Fi have come out of the woodwork to fight the vicious cycle of first-time headphone buyers immediately recommending their only headphone to other first-timers. Up until recently, whenever a question was asked to an online audiophile community, newer members who had only owned the M50 jumped into the conversation and claimed the M50 as the best thing ever until other voices were simply drowned out. Since they’d never tried any other similarly-priced can, these people had no frame of reference and were more likely to overhype (think Beats). Now, many dissident members have taken back control of these discussions and lead to a more educated decision based on each person’s preferences.
This is the main reason why I think the M50 seems less...impressive than it used to be. I never really loved the M50 (no idea what color the box was because it was a demo pair), but I can see why some people would. It has a very commercial sound that would entice a lot of people who haven't heard any better. I just couldn't handle the pretty bad mids and the rather sloppy bass.post #18 of 292/28/13 at 6:24pmpost #19 of 292/28/13 at 6:34pmpost #20 of 292/28/13 at 6:53pmQuote:
Ah I see, well I guess I could of reworded it to be more fair... as I have not actually heard the M50 so the sound quality may not have changed that drastically or to some listeners maybe not in a negative way at all.post #21 of 292/28/13 at 8:02pmQuote:
That's possible. However, the kind of snobbery that dismisses something simply because it's become "too popular" has been around long before hipsters. I just think this hipster mentality has gotten quite mainstream, so it bleeds out to more people, in more areas, faster. In that sense, it is noticeable.post #22 of 292/28/13 at 8:21pm
M50's were pretty overhyped in the past but they are still a great value. Was dumb of ATH to modify them when they peaked in popularity.
I think the DT770 Pro/80 are a better choice if you don't need the extra portability.
Edited by Supertoaster - 2/28/13 at 8:31pmpost #23 of 292/28/13 at 8:29pmQuote:
I absolutely disagree. I returned those after 2 weeks and lost a 15% restocking fee and the shipping to return them. Used an O2 amp with 0/2.5 dB gain setting. Way too much treble and the bass seemed to drown out everything else when it was called upon. TSSSSSS TSSSSSS TSSSSSS BOOOOOOOM TSSSSSS TSSSSSSS TSSSSSS BOOOOOM! My ears were dead tired after 2 songs.post #24 of 292/28/13 at 8:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by sonitus mirus
I absolutely disagree. I returned those after 2 weeks and lost a 15% restocking fee and the shipping to return them. Used an O2 amp with 0/2.5 dB gain setting. Way too much treble and the bass seemed to drown out everything else when it was called upon. TSSSSSS TSSSSSS TSSSSSS BOOOOOOOM TSSSSSS TSSSSSSS TSSSSSS BOOOOOM! My ears were dead tired after 2 songs.
Are you comparing them to the M50? I thought the M50 also had sparkly treble and a bass emphasis with recessed mids.
I think a lot of people can agree that beyers sound signature is really take it or leave it. some seem to love it and others despise it. I also think it takes a lot of mental burn in instead of physical burn in.
btw, if you disliked the DT770 because of those reasons you would LOVE the DT990's. muahahaha
Edited by Supertoaster - 2/28/13 at 8:37pmpost #25 of 292/28/13 at 8:51pm
Yep, bought a pair of M50s from Amazon for $108 with free shipping (Amazon Prime membership) that I have been using at work.
I was looking for an upgrade and trusted Malveaux's reviews based on the fact that we both seemed to really love the Denon D5000. He stated in some comment that he liked the D770 over the M50, and these seemed likely to have a similar sound signature that I enjoy, so when the price was right I jumped on the deal and ordered a pair. I NEVER return things, and this is the only product I can recall that I have returned after purchasing online.
I did not think the Beyer's were an improvement over the M50s. If anything, it was a sideways difference, but certainly not an improvement to my ears. I think the m50 is a solid headphone that sounds very good with many different genres. I'd highly recommend them for the right price. The biggest issue is that these headphones are difficult to find under $150, which drastically reduces their value. At $100 bucks these are awesome, but good luck finding them now at this price.
Edited by sonitus mirus - 2/28/13 at 8:53pmpost #26 of 292/28/13 at 11:30pm
Let's not forget that competition in the price range of the M50s has really increased in recent years. They used to be quite competitive, and still are to a degree. However, they aren't the best choice for anyone looking for neutrality. There are now other options in the same price range that some people are going to find to be better sounding. I think this is the main reason why you don't see them being recommended as much.post #27 of 293/1/13 at 7:51pmpost #28 of 293/1/13 at 9:31pm
- Headphone Hipsters
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Stax Thread III 14 seconds ago
- › The Pono Player Impressions Thread 29 seconds ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 32 seconds ago
- › New member roll call 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 3 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-1000 by Blackrain
- › RBH EP-3 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Burson Audio Conductor Virtuoso DAC1 ESS9018 DAC and Headphone Preamp by iDesign
- › Audio-Technica ATH-W1000Z by Currawong
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by shockdoc
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by Arvan
- › Pro-Ject Audio Head Box S USB by dnun8086
- › JVC Full-Size Headphones - Model HA-RX700 Wired Headphones by audiophilefan
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by audiophilefan
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2