Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › LOL at all the Beats bashers........
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LOL at all the Beats bashers........ - Page 23  

post #331 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

I've seen some pictures of people using the Studio with an amplifier, which makes no sense at all because they have their own inline amplifier, making any external power source virtually useless.

 

I did it more-so for convenience as I didn't want to go around my computer, unplug the E9 from my Xonar DG, then plug the Studios in, turn on spotify / itunes, find out it's beyond ridiculous sounding for $300 when it sounds like 1/6 its price, unplug it, and then replug my E9. If you were referring to me since it was after my post, after-all biggrin.gif. And yes, I do find them to sound 1/6 its price or less as they did sound worse than the Aviator (by far) which was ~$100ish, where I still preferred the M50 at the same price point. The M50s are downright awkward to wear in public though.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doluseb View Post

Comparing peoples buying habits by comparing BMW's to Beats is retarded. BMW is a quality vehicle, even people who prefer a different brand will tell you so. No self respecting audiophile or semi-audiophile will say Beats are good, or even marginally good for their price.

 

Not only that, their customer service / warranty is pretty damn good too. Buy a "new" car used or a year old with the warranty still in effect and take the car in for any LITTLE sign of damage and they'll repair it cost-free. Essentially getting a new car for ~15% less of its original value. Can't vouch for Monster/Beat's CS (are they two different companies now?) in comparison as I've avoided buying every type of Monster / Beats related product ever since seeing a 6 ft HDMI cable that went for like what, $50? Still irritating to see how BMW is also mainly used as just an icon to look rich though, regardless. As are the main purpose of the Beats that I see.


Edited by AyeVeeN - 3/22/13 at 4:50pm
post #332 of 353

Kind of off topic, but why are modern albums so poorly mastered? I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow33 View Post

Quoting the Beats Pro webpage…

 

The Headphones Used To Mix In Every Major Studio.”

 

 

Beats Pro headphones are designed for sound engineers, musicians, and those who take sound seriously. They’re the headphones that artists like Will.i.am use in the studio, and are designed to deliver the same level of emotion and power the artist originally intended.”

Oh wait, never mind.

post #333 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post

 

Marketing in higher end magazine, higher prices, etc All for low quality drivers in large cabinets to 'wow' people into thinking 'such great bass from a tiny box'. It was junk, is junk and will always be junk.


So is it the product (one of an entire family apparently) That PO'd you,,or the fact that someone dared to encroach on the magic kindom of high end periodicals?

 

Personally I could make the same statement you did about the Vandersteen 1, and back it up with the data that every time I demoed them people bought something else. Indeed, the Royd Eden swept them everytime If we did not tell customers what was playing.

post #334 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaWolf View Post

Kind of off topic, but why are modern albums so poorly mastered? I don't get it.

Oh wait, never mind.


They are poorly mastered because now every dork with protools thinks he is a ToneMeister, and labels always look for cheap labour to drive their MP3 eq'd dreck into the market. No surprise the Beats claim almost has a ring of truth to it.

 

Read David Byrnes "How Music Works" to get a good handle on exactly how the pop industry functions today.

 

Anybody got an in At the BeeB or Abbey Road? I'd love to hear a real studios response to that ad.

post #335 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

Too much of a 'U' shape i guess? How is their sound like anyway?
I thought they sounded pretty weak, and hollow. Kinda muddy "cotton" bass, treble was washed into the treble. Female vocals were just bad. Movie usage is a big no, no accuracy of soundstage there at all. Also detected hiss when used with the E11 amp. Honestly the ear pods sounded better to me. Stack them up against the Fostex T50rp and game over lol granted this is all from my ears and opinion.
post #336 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by doluseb View Post

Comparing peoples buying habits by comparing BMW's to Beats is retarded. BMW is a quality vehicle, even people who prefer a different brand will tell you so. No self respecting audiophile or semi-audiophile will say Beats are good, or even marginally good for their price. You hear hate on a forum about headphones? Wow...so ******* surprised...do you know the definition of forum. Do yourself some good and look it up. Free exchange of ideas and advice is going to result in hate of ****ty stuff and appreciation of good stuff.

I for one will always make fun of people who buy beats. not because I'm an audio snob, but because I'm a good consumer, and I find it hilarious how many people are duped by marketing and too lazy to do any research for themselves. The thing that gets me going about Beats and Soul and all those other BS marketing gimmick phones is that they inherently drive up the prices of good phones as well. It happens in every industry. I remember when it happened to shoes. I have to pay $120 or more for a decent pair of shoes...thanks to ****ty consumers falling for gimmick marketing.

I wouldn't even call myself a audiophile, and beats are not worth a box of Kleenex, hell throw kiss drivers into a Kleenex box and they'll prolly sound better.
post #337 of 353

I love beats.

 

They are made by idiots for idiots.  I think it's great that a bunch of celebrity pop-culture retards made a crappy product that the average pop-culture retard sitting next to me spent a paycheck on. lol

 

They generally use celebrities I despise who make music I despise to cater to a culture that I despise.  I'm thrilled that they are trash and expensive.

 

But I'm a very mean, judgmental person so...i dunno.

 

 

 

And FWIW, a better analogy than the BMW car would be a used 1994 Honda that is sold as a street race car because it has a coffee can exhaust and neon lights under the frame.  DERP.

post #338 of 353
Apple products are not crap. Some people just want products that just work. Secondly, Beats are crap. Bose headphones not crap. Hip-hop is crap. Not all modern albums are mastered like crap. How to Destroy Angels? Chelsea Light Moving? Smashing Pumpkins? Muse? Chevelle?
post #339 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribestros View Post

Apple products are not crap. Some people just want products that just work. Secondly, Beats are crap. Bose headphones not crap. Hip-hop is crap. Not all modern albums are mastered like crap. How to Destroy Angels? Chelsea Light Moving? Smashing Pumpkins? Muse? Chevelle?

Apple products are overpriced but work well and hold their value. Bose headphones are basically the same thing as Beats except for older people. College bros wear beats to show off and businessmen wear bose to show off.
post #340 of 353
Not all modern albums are mastered like crap. Smashing Pumpkins? Muse?

 

I have a copy of the newest Muse album and it is brick wall mastered, which in my mind is not synonymous with "good".

Smashing Pumpkins vinyls are also really quiet and lack definition IMO.

Yay 1000th post

post #341 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

 

I have a copy of the newest Muse album and it is brick wall mastered, which in my mind is not synonymous with "good".

Smashing Pumpkins vinyls are also really quiet and lack definition IMO.

Yay 1000th post


It tends to be a case of mastering to cater to the bands audience. Muse fans want to be redlined as a rule and Pumpkins rode the messy grunge side all the way. Oddly enough Cobains stuff was very well put together, pity he was not to my taste.

 

 Colour of Spring by Talk Talk was one of the best mastered "pop" albums of it's time. Grace Jones "NightClubbing" fairly good as well. But they were pre MP3 craze, where "whatever we can get away with" rules. (Medium is the message, anyone?)

 

Classical music never went down that road and there are some stellar examples out there If reference recordings are what you are after. Most recently Kuniko Plays Reich, is deserving of a spot in every library.

 

 As a whole though, mastering in the pop genre's is a lost art.

post #342 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post


It tends to be a case of mastering to cater to the bands audience. Muse fans want to be redlined as a rule and Pumpkins rode the messy grunge side all the way. Oddly enough Cobains stuff was very well put together, pity he was not to my taste.

 

 Colour of Spring by Talk Talk was one of the best mastered "pop" albums of it's time. Grace Jones "NightClubbing" fairly good as well. But they were pre MP3 craze, where "whatever we can get away with" rules. (Medium is the message, anyone?)

 

Classical music never went down that road and there are some stellar examples out there If reference recordings are what you are after. Most recently Kuniko Plays Reich, is deserving of a spot in every library.

 

 As a whole though, mastering in the pop genre's is a lost art.

Surprised to see someone mention that these days.  Nightclubbing was one of the finest mastered LP's of all time.  The detail and dynamic range is exquisite.  Back in '81, it got significant reviews in High Fidelity magazine, especially for the quality of its recording and production.

 

For anyone with a turntable, this is a tour-de-force.  It's still pretty good on CD, too.


Edited by tomb - 3/24/13 at 11:13am
post #343 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tus-Chan View Post

 

I have a copy of the newest Muse album and it is brick wall mastered, which in my mind is not synonymous with "good".

Smashing Pumpkins vinyls are also really quiet and lack definition IMO.

Yay 1000th post

 

The 2nd Law is not brickwalled, at all. They even said they specifically went about making that album be NOT brickwalled. Black Holes was pretty brickwalled, but that's about it from Muse. I'm listening to Welcome Oblivion by HTDA and it's a FANTASTIC master on vinyl.

 

Smashing Pumpkins vinyls quiet...huh? Siamese Dream was great, Gish near perfect. Mellon Collie was just a bad pressing (that I spent $100 on. :()

 

Apple products aren't overpriced.


Edited by tribestros - 3/24/13 at 1:32pm
post #344 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribestros View Post

 

Apple products aren't overpriced.

From a non-audio standpoint they are VERY overpriced in my opinion.  Closed source software.  Inaccessible batteries.   Having to convert anything to play on it.  Limited app choices.

 

There are better droid options for phones and tablets.  And as someone who does publishing and design work for a living I have never understood why Mac is preferred over PC.  I am in a minority though.   It's not that Mac is "bad", but it brings nothing to the table imho and costs so much more than a PC and creates too many limits.

 

Now, I don't do Apple, so maybe they sound great

 

But whenever I see people with all their Apple products I feel certain they have been heavily influenced by marketing just like the beats buyers.  At least their apples aren't junk, but they paid out the nose to do less than I can do for cheaper.

post #345 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadride View Post

From a non-audio standpoint they are VERY overpriced in my opinion.  Closed source software.  Inaccessible batteries.   Having to convert anything to play on it.  Limited app choices.

 

There are better droid options for phones and tablets.  And as someone who does publishing and design work for a living I have never understood why Mac is preferred over PC.  I am in a minority though.   It's not that Mac is "bad", but it brings nothing to the table imho and costs so much more than a PC and creates too many limits.

 

Now, I don't do Apple, so maybe they sound great

 

But whenever I see people with all their Apple products I feel certain they have been heavily influenced by marketing just like the beats buyers.  At least their apples aren't junk, but they paid out the nose to do less than I can do for cheaper.


In Spade's. You forgot to mention closed architecture as well. Need more storage in your ipod, well buy a new one. No SD slots or usb connectivity. Same old apple song (and I have dealt with them since they existed) our way or the highway. They are systems for people who refuse to plan ahead.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › LOL at all the Beats bashers........