Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › LOL at all the Beats bashers........
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LOL at all the Beats bashers........  

post #1 of 353
Thread Starter 

If you dont like em, dont buy em.  Its very simple IMHO.  I dont care for BMWs, guess what Im not gonna say they are overpriced and trash them.  I just wont buy one.  I seriously dont get all the hate.  Dre just did something noone else really thought about before....cater to the average listener and add some color and clean styling to a can.  That being said, I personally would never own a pair.  They dont sound bad to me, and they do look pretty good....but sadly they are overpriced like everyone knows.  BUT!!!  They are not pieces of ****, and they never, ever tried to hoodwink the public.  They are what they are.  Just had to throw my opinion out there on this overrun subject, because alot of people in HF seem like whiney, jealous little kids when it comes to Beats.  Lots of products are overpriced.... i-anything for example.  People still buy the product. 

post #2 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebomb View Post

and they never, ever tried to hoodwink the public. 

Um, yeah they did. Read their site some time.

 

If you don't like the trashing, then don't listen to it. It's very simple.regular_smile%20.gif

post #3 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebomb View Post

If you dont like em, dont buy em.  Its very simple IMHO.  I dont care for BMWs, guess what Im not gonna say they are overpriced and trash them.  I just wont buy one.  I seriously dont get all the hate.  Dre just did something noone else really thought about before....cater to the average listener and add some color and clean styling to a can.  That being said, I personally would never own a pair.  They dont sound bad to me, and they do look pretty good....but sadly they are overpriced like everyone knows.  BUT!!!  They are not pieces of ****, and they never, ever tried to hoodwink the public.  They are what they are.  Just had to throw my opinion out there on this overrun subject, because alot of people in HF seem like whiney, jealous little kids when it comes to Beats.  Lots of products are overpriced.... i-anything for example.  People still buy the product. 

Audiophiles don't like Beats because they sound bad but yet they are still advertized as having the sound "the way it was intended by the artist". People think they're the norm while Beats clearly do not deserve that crown.
post #4 of 353

I had an open mind about Beats initially. I appreciate the attention to styling detail. After hearing them, its clear that's all they have.

 

Its not like some people like BMW and others prefer Lexus, or Cadillac.

 

Its like a Yugo with a body kit and a fancy paint job, a celebrity endorsement, and a huge marketing budget trying to pass itself off as a Ferrari equivalent and selling at that price point. Bring it to an exotic car show and you're going to get laughed at. 

 

Everyone hates to see an inferior product be so successful when its completely based on hype and marketing and not on the products own merit. The iDevices may be over-priced, but you will find many enthusiasts that love them because they are quality products (though it pains me to say it ;) ).

 

It also goes back to a long tradition for hate for Monster.

I'll refer you to this gem from 2004 - http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/monster-monsters.php

This pretty much sums it up


Edited by pallentx - 2/28/13 at 8:38am
post #5 of 353
It's much more fun to simply watch someone's expression after I show them what real headphones sound like. You can see the moment when it clicks in their head, how big of a tool they were spending so much money on their beats.

But for some, they honestly don't even care if they sound bad or not, because it's not about sound, it's about a status symbol. Many wear them while walking around without even listening to music, just because it ups their hipster factor.
post #6 of 353

Yep, its the advertising that most of us are bothered by. I have no problem with people wanting fashionable headphones or headphones with tons of bass. More power to them. If that's what they want then they will be happy with Beats and that's all that matters. The problem is that Beats is constantly using outright lies in their advertising, telling people things like that Beats magically restore lost data in lossy files and that they are the most accurate headphones on the market when in reality no sound engineer would ever use them for mixing/mastering, including Dre himself. Which is fine. Again, they are great for people who aren't concerned about price and want fashionable headphones with tons of bass but the problem is in how many people are completely mislead by the lies Beats shamelessly promotes. I think the biggest reason why that bothers a lot of us is because we come into contact with people who have fallen for those lies and it sucks to realize that those people would have discovered a completely different world of headphone listening had they not been duped by Beats.

post #7 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallentx View Post

Its like a Yugo with a body kit and a fancy paint job, a celebrity endorsement, and a huge marketing budget trying to pass itself off as a Ferrari equivalent and selling at that price point. Bring it to an exotic car show and you're going to get laughed at. 

 

^This. This is why Beats get bashed so hard in communities like head-fi. And its completely valid that they do. From a business standpoint you might respect what Beats has accomplished but from an audiophile perspective they are nothing but frauds.


Edited by devhen - 2/28/13 at 8:45am
post #8 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebomb View Post

They are not pieces of ****, and they never, ever tried to hoodwink the public.  

When compared to headphones in their price range, they ARE pieces of ****. Most of what Beats do is hoodwink the public, promising "what the artist intended" and giving out no actual specs on the headphones. Their claims can be disputed when you compare the Beats to real studio headphones, no contest. :)

post #9 of 353

I detest beats because I too once believed them to have "studio" sound quality.

I was completely convinced that flashy packaging and a "b" logo meant the best sound.

 

People going around comparing every headphones to a "beats" standard is the result of false advertisement by the brand claiming to have "what the artists intended". Not to mention those also claiming "BETTER THAN BEATS!", which is to say, nothing much at all.

post #10 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallentx View Post

The iDevices may be over-priced, but you will find many enthusiasts that love them because they are quality products (though it pains me to say it ;) ).

 

I think Beats to iDevices is a legitimate comparison. They're both quality products if you disregard price. A lot of people like the sound and look that beats have. iDevices are pretty well constructed. But put either of them toe to toe with an alternative at the same price range and they can't hold a candle.

post #11 of 353

Quoting lebomb, “and they never, ever tried to hoodwink the public.”

 

Quoting the Beats Pro webpage…

 

The Headphones Used To Mix In Every Major Studio.”

 

 

Beats Pro headphones are designed for sound engineers, musicians, and those who take sound seriously. They’re the headphones that artists like Will.i.am use in the studio, and are designed to deliver the same level of emotion and power the artist originally intended.”

 

“Beats Pro headphones sound so good because they put back the quality lost in modern-day file compression. That means you’re really hearing music the way it was originally heard by the artist in the studio.”

 

 

The above aforementioned quotes from their website, is exactly what I would call “hoodwinking” the public. Perhaps if they would specify exactly what music it is that they would be best for, and not just making a blanket statement about putting quality back into music. For some recordings, it’s adding something that was never there in the first place. This is where I find fault with the marketing they do and misrepresentation of their products. With that I will say that every company can, and does interpret their products a certain way and can market them however they want, but would hopefully have somewhat of a conscience when describing their product. I also doubt that any self-respecting sound engineer is mixing, tracking, or monitoring with these in any studio. That is unless they are making a rap album, or something that is mainly BASS, even then that is highly unlikely…in most cases studio monitors are used for those applications. I guess I just have a problem with the overall picture they paint about their headphones. I do however really like the way the pro’s look and feel…I love the materials, fit and finish. I just don’t want little subwoofers sitting on my head. To some degree, I do understand where you are coming from though. To each there own, you don’t like it don’t buy it. But, that’s what something extremely popular does, it makes waves, it has fans and haters alike and with that the pro or anti beats arguments will never die.    

post #12 of 353

I wouldn't compare them to the 'iDevices' at all.  The iphone, ipod etc flourish because of a developer's community and support surrounding them, plus they're very well engineered and constructed hardware.  Beats is poorly constructed, and has the same access to whatever pool of songs that any other headphone would.

 

 

I also don't buy (or will thoroughly laugh at) anybody who rags on Beats because of their price/performance.  Audiophilia is built upon poor price/performance, and taking advantage of people with deep pockets and/or are crazed enough to devote an entire lifestyle to their obsession.  HD800 is overpriced.  LCD2 is overpriced.  T1 is overpriced.  Your 200,000 dollar boutique speakers are overpriced-- and everything in between.  The hifi era has since been long past us, and most of what you buy today is largely the component of marketing propaganda-- just like the Beats.

post #13 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I also don't buy (or will thoroughly laugh at) anybody who rags on Beats because of their price/performance.  Audiophilia is built upon poor price/performance, and taking advantage of people with deep pockets and/or are crazed enough to devote an entire lifestyle to their obsession.  HD800 is overpriced.  LCD2 is overpriced.  T1 is overpriced.  Your 200,000 dollar boutique speakers are overpriced-- and everything in between.  The hifi era has since been long past us, and most of what you buy today is largely the component of marketing propaganda-- just like the Beats.

I cant deny that to some degree, but there is still a spectrum of quality most audiophiles will agree to - that the earbuds that came with your iPhone are not as good as the Sennheiser HD800. Beats pushes the envelope on lofty claims of quality vs pricing far beyond any other manufacturer I can think of.

post #14 of 353

Those flagships (HD800, T1, LCD3) may be overpriced, but at least their manufacturers put SOME effort into developing them and are able to do what they advertise on the box to some degree. Beats on the other hand just flat out lie about everything.

 

I personally wouldn't mind paying extra for the brand name, but it has to be worth it.


Edited by LinkPro - 2/28/13 at 10:00am
post #15 of 353

The original post really comes off as an angsty teenager. They do infact straight up lie and hoodwink their customers and many people have already came here to tell you how you're wrong.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › LOL at all the Beats bashers........