So, ive been looking in to getting one. Seems to be amazing for the price. The only thing is that right now i can't buy the whole thing. So my question is that is it possible for me to use just the Modi without any amp? I hope this isn't a dumb question. Just trying to figure stuff out. I dont really get how it all works. Thanks!
- productSchiit Moditagged by System, 3/5/13
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for a DAC, Amp, and Closed Over Ear Headphones for Office Setup under ~$400 Last post on 8/10/14 at 4:44am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- SHORT AND SWEET! Last post on 6/30/14 at 1:18pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Connecting Schiit Modi (Optical version) to Fiio E11? Last post on 7/1/14 at 10:35am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- JDS O2 + ODAC with my AKG K550 Last post on 6/25/14 at 3:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- linux setup with magni Last post on 6/20/14 at 12:05am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
I’d like to thank John Seaber and the folks at JDS Labs for the C5D loaner unit. Accessories The C5D ships with a 1.5 foot USB mini-B cable, a set of four rubber stick-on feet and an...
This is a review of the upcoming FiiO X1 digital audio player (DAP). Until my first experience with X5, a little over half a year ago, I used to refer to all dedicated audio players as "mp3"...
It's annoying because I didn't read the manual so I naturally fitted the SE215's wrong, and then looked at videos and found the right fit. The SE215 lack bass with the foam tips, so I put on the...
The Schiit Modi/Magni stack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
That happens to be what I'm doing right now. I have an order in for the Magni with plans to grab the Modi in a couple of weeks. It should turn out to be a great value, if all of the stuff I've read holds up.
Edited by LarryKingsShoes - 2/27/13 at 3:28pm
Oh. okay. That makes sense now that i think about it. Because the dac doesnt have a jack... haha. I have a laptop, how would the amp be hooked up to my laptop? Oh and my headphone jack on the computer got messed up.
Edited by bcd127 - 2/27/13 at 7:37pm
A simple 3.5mm to RCA cable would work in this situation. It's not ideal because of the lower quality converters in a typical laptop (which the Modi serves to bypass) but it would do the job until you could add the Modi to your rig.
If your headphone jack doesn't work, you might be able to retask the microphone port as a front left and right output. This might not be a very common feature but I know my older Dell XPS let me do it. Check it out and you might get lucky. Then you could just connect the mic port to the Magni with the 3.5mm to RCA cable.
Alternatively, you could get a cheap USB sound card from eBay or Amazon. The quality won't match that of the Modi but they're cheap, they'd (hopefully) work, and can be useful for when you're away from your desktop rig and want to use your headphones. If you get one of the <$10 options, your budget wouldn't take too big of a hit. There are other options but they'd cost more and, personally, I don't see the value in spending any more than necessary when you're already saving for an upgrade. The most I'd spend would be the $30 for a Behringer UCA202 but even that would be a stretch; that's nearly 30% of the cost of a Modi shipped to your door. The results would be better but it would make the Modi just that much further from your reach.
Edited by LarryKingsShoes - 2/27/13 at 8:53pm
Alright. So i can probably get the jack fixed, i just wasn't sure if it was something that i needed. But now i realize that until i get the modi i cant bypass the jack. Everything is making sense! Thank you very much for all of your help!
- The Schiit Modi/Magni stack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 1 minute ago
- › HE-400(or 400i?), HD695, or something better 1 minute ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 4 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Hi 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)