So, ive been looking in to getting one. Seems to be amazing for the price. The only thing is that right now i can't buy the whole thing. So my question is that is it possible for me to use just the Modi without any amp? I hope this isn't a dumb question. Just trying to figure stuff out. I dont really get how it all works. Thanks!
- productSchiit Moditagged by System, 3/5/13
Related Forum Threads
- I have a $300 budget for a new pair of headphones, can I get some help deciding on a pair? Last post on Today at 10:32 am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Buying Creative Sound Blaster Z for optical out use only Last post on Today at 3:19 pm in Computer Audio
- Optimizing Audio Quality Last post on 8/17/14 at 5:57pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a DAC, Amp, and Closed Over Ear Headphones for Office Setup under ~$400 Last post on 8/10/14 at 4:44am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- After hours of research, I still can't find something that I like. Help, please? Last post on 8/5/14 at 2:44am in Headphones (full-size)
When MEE was describing their new iems to me this is what they said: "... these earphones heavily emphasize comfort and appearance, they have nicely balanced sound that is less bassy compared to...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included...
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
Hello out there, this is a recorder, yes, a digital recorder - not one of those midget-screen playback gimmicks. In the hands of the ambitious recording enthusiast, it turns to an universal tool,...
The Schiit Modi/Magni stack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
That happens to be what I'm doing right now. I have an order in for the Magni with plans to grab the Modi in a couple of weeks. It should turn out to be a great value, if all of the stuff I've read holds up.
Edited by LarryKingsShoes - 2/27/13 at 3:28pm
Oh. okay. That makes sense now that i think about it. Because the dac doesnt have a jack... haha. I have a laptop, how would the amp be hooked up to my laptop? Oh and my headphone jack on the computer got messed up.
Edited by bcd127 - 2/27/13 at 7:37pm
A simple 3.5mm to RCA cable would work in this situation. It's not ideal because of the lower quality converters in a typical laptop (which the Modi serves to bypass) but it would do the job until you could add the Modi to your rig.
If your headphone jack doesn't work, you might be able to retask the microphone port as a front left and right output. This might not be a very common feature but I know my older Dell XPS let me do it. Check it out and you might get lucky. Then you could just connect the mic port to the Magni with the 3.5mm to RCA cable.
Alternatively, you could get a cheap USB sound card from eBay or Amazon. The quality won't match that of the Modi but they're cheap, they'd (hopefully) work, and can be useful for when you're away from your desktop rig and want to use your headphones. If you get one of the <$10 options, your budget wouldn't take too big of a hit. There are other options but they'd cost more and, personally, I don't see the value in spending any more than necessary when you're already saving for an upgrade. The most I'd spend would be the $30 for a Behringer UCA202 but even that would be a stretch; that's nearly 30% of the cost of a Modi shipped to your door. The results would be better but it would make the Modi just that much further from your reach.
Edited by LarryKingsShoes - 2/27/13 at 8:53pm
Alright. So i can probably get the jack fixed, i just wasn't sure if it was something that i needed. But now i realize that until i get the modi i cant bypass the jack. Everything is making sense! Thank you very much for all of your help!
- The Schiit Modi/Magni stack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock... 8 seconds ago
- › = Hifiman Regrilling Mod = 13 seconds ago
- › Which is better? (Denon D600) Vs.(Philips Fidelio X1) 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 2 minutes ago
- › Civilian 6n2+fu32 tube headphone amp 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 3 minutes ago
- › PRICE LOWERED: HiFiMAN EF2A headphone amplifier 3 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone 3 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 3 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)