So, ive been looking in to getting one. Seems to be amazing for the price. The only thing is that right now i can't buy the whole thing. So my question is that is it possible for me to use just the Modi without any amp? I hope this isn't a dumb question. Just trying to figure stuff out. I dont really get how it all works. Thanks!
- productSchiit Moditagged by System, 3/5/13
Related Forum Threads
- Friend is giving me his KRK Rokit 6's and I need advice on how to connect them to my macbook... Last post on 4/7/14 at 8:51pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Is Shiit Modi / Vali combo a joke compared to (Woo Audio WA6-SE, Burson, Graham Slee,... Last post on 4/6/14 at 3:28pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- A Little Help with DAC and Tube Amp Combination Last post on 3/24/14 at 2:38pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help/Advice please? Best small lap-top to use to access online streaming audio to feed external... Last post on 3/23/14 at 5:47am in Dedicated Source Components
- Speaker and Headphone Pairing Last post on 3/25/14 at 6:32am in Computer Audio
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/26/13
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
I've read a lot of diverging comments about these headphones and I think there is a problem. These are non-powered studio monitor headphones. They are not meant to have perfect sound quality, and...
Remember: "Stay away from Razer". Razer headphones are just meant to be "fun" for a certain amount of time. After a few weeks they either break or become really uncomfortable. The sound is overall...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
The Schiit Modi/Magni stack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
That happens to be what I'm doing right now. I have an order in for the Magni with plans to grab the Modi in a couple of weeks. It should turn out to be a great value, if all of the stuff I've read holds up.
Edited by LarryKingsShoes - 2/27/13 at 3:28pm
Oh. okay. That makes sense now that i think about it. Because the dac doesnt have a jack... haha. I have a laptop, how would the amp be hooked up to my laptop? Oh and my headphone jack on the computer got messed up.
Edited by bcd127 - 2/27/13 at 7:37pm
A simple 3.5mm to RCA cable would work in this situation. It's not ideal because of the lower quality converters in a typical laptop (which the Modi serves to bypass) but it would do the job until you could add the Modi to your rig.
If your headphone jack doesn't work, you might be able to retask the microphone port as a front left and right output. This might not be a very common feature but I know my older Dell XPS let me do it. Check it out and you might get lucky. Then you could just connect the mic port to the Magni with the 3.5mm to RCA cable.
Alternatively, you could get a cheap USB sound card from eBay or Amazon. The quality won't match that of the Modi but they're cheap, they'd (hopefully) work, and can be useful for when you're away from your desktop rig and want to use your headphones. If you get one of the <$10 options, your budget wouldn't take too big of a hit. There are other options but they'd cost more and, personally, I don't see the value in spending any more than necessary when you're already saving for an upgrade. The most I'd spend would be the $30 for a Behringer UCA202 but even that would be a stretch; that's nearly 30% of the cost of a Modi shipped to your door. The results would be better but it would make the Modi just that much further from your reach.
Edited by LarryKingsShoes - 2/27/13 at 8:53pm
Alright. So i can probably get the jack fixed, i just wasn't sure if it was something that i needed. But now i realize that until i get the modi i cant bypass the jack. Everything is making sense! Thank you very much for all of your help!
- The Schiit Modi/Magni stack
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 40 seconds ago
- › Shure SE535 LTD Edition + HPL Audio Composite (Silver +1% Gold) cable 53 seconds ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 2 minutes ago
- › Yamaha HPH-200 (Pictures and review) [Updated 7/19] 4 minutes ago
- › Meier Audio Daccord 4 minutes ago
- › Pavtube 2014 Easter Giveaway & Special Sales Out 5 minutes ago
- › Need DAC Advice 6 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 7 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 8 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob