This is my first headphone and chances are it will be my only headphone. I got it because all the recommendation on the internet, but why does it peel so plastic? It does not feel like a $140 product.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 3/5/13
Related Forum Threads
- V Moda M100s worth the upgrade from Audio Technica ATH-M50s? Last post on Yesterday at 11:45 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure SRH-440 w/HPAEC840 pads vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 4/12/14 at 8:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 4/6/14 at 7:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ATH M50X vs Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro vs Shure SRH840 vs Beyerdynamic DT-770 Last post on 3/25/14 at 2:21pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need a 250$ headphones instad of my ATH M50 Last post on 2/22/14 at 8:48pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
Audio Technica M50 feel so cheappost #1 of 182/26/13 at 8:30amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 182/26/13 at 8:38am
I would have to disagree, I think the M50's feel very sturdy and durable..and they're light...also keep in the mind that yes, they were $140 for you, and that may be expensive for your budget. At the same time they are only $140....close to bottom of the totem pole in the big picture! Even though they do sound good :)post #3 of 182/26/13 at 8:40am
That's because the M50's mainly are plastic. However, they are sturdier than they look.
They can take a bit of a bashing and still be alright. (Although I wouldn't recommend that you intentionally throw them about)post #4 of 182/26/13 at 8:42amQuote:
Not to burst your bubble, but in the audio world.. 140$ is cheap for anything really except maybe interconnects. I do agree that the ATH-50's leave a lot to be desired but for 140 bones but they are comparable to most headphones in that range. Unfortunately, that is the way of market nowadays, and you have to pay premiums to get better quality. Also, I should add that the ATH-50's are marketed for a consumer market (looks) and for portability. For headphones to be portable they need to be light, so with that being said.. not many materials are lighter than plastic. If you decide to actively browse this forum your previous statement will wane, I guarantee it.
Just the way of Head-Fi.
Edited by Greed - 2/26/13 at 8:44ampost #5 of 182/26/13 at 8:43ampost #6 of 182/26/13 at 8:46ampost #7 of 182/26/13 at 8:50ampost #8 of 182/26/13 at 9:01amThread StarterQuote:
M50 is like plastic plastic, I use Thinkpad which is made of plastic but is one of the toughest laptops on the market, the plastic on my thinkpad is tough and light, the plastic on M50 feels like the plastic on toys you get at Maccas.
Edited by FinancialWar - 2/26/13 at 9:13ampost #9 of 182/26/13 at 9:02amThread Starterpost #10 of 182/26/13 at 9:06ampost #11 of 182/26/13 at 9:10amQuote:Originally Posted by TheReem
The m50 are probably the most durable headphones your find or at least one of. They are built like tanks, they do scratch and chip if you drop them but nothing major. they will survive drops and throws no problem and work for years. what was your budget? if your not happy there are plenty of headphones that are superior to them i.e shure 440/40 beyer dt770 and hm5.
Is that a fact? Or just your opinion? (Just kidding)
All 3 are great headphones. But I wouldn't say either of the 3 were more "superior" than the other 2. I think it would simply come down to preference.post #12 of 182/26/13 at 9:16amThread Starter
yes, I guess you're right. I am not an audiophile by any means and M50 sounds better than anything I've used in my life. So I'll just stick with the M50 until it dies. How long do you thing it will last? I only bought these because my Samsung Galaxy earbuds keeps on breaking.post #13 of 182/26/13 at 9:23amThread Starter
By the way, can I confirm if mine is genuine?
I bought from
one of the few product that amazon allow shipping to Australia.post #14 of 182/26/13 at 9:28amQuote:Originally Posted by FinancialWar
yes, I guess you're right. I am not an audiophile by any means and M50 sounds better than anything I've used in my life. So I'll just stick with the M50 until it dies. How long do you thing it will last? I only bought these because my Samsung Galaxy earbuds keeps on breaking.
They'll last as long as you care for them. I have a few mates that got them when they first came into production and they still have them in perfect working order. (Perhaps they'll need the occasional ear-pad change every 5 years or so, but that's it)Quote:Originally Posted by TheReem
Haha well played My superior comment is mostly due to the the beyer having a better soundstage and comfort and cleaner presentation with the shure440 is was mostly clairty and detail but the m50 beats the shures out on bass hands down. It could prob be more classed as a flavor change instead of an ungrade to some but for me personally i would say they are an upgrade especally the beyer.
Fair play mate.
I have to admit to never actually hearing the shure440's, but like the M50's, they seem to be quite popular with overwhelming positive reviews. The M50's don't have a great open soundstage, but I think most people who just want a versatile pair of headphones that will last an age will be quite happy them.
- Audio Technica M50 feel so cheap
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 1 minute ago
- › Review: Hifiman HE-6/EF-6: An Elite Headphone System, Under One Roof 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 1 minute ago
- › Misleading recommendations on HE-400? 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 2 minutes ago
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 --- Suyama's custom IEM, made universal! 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › [NEW] Audio Technica CKR series (CKR10, CKR9, CKR7) 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XC sign up on Black... 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob