Recent Images In This Thread
- productMeridian Explorertagged by System, 4/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison: Meridian Explorer vs HRT Microstreamer Last post on 6/24/15 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- $189 ALO Audio The Key USB DAC - 32-Bit / 384KHz with PCM5102A Last post on 6/13/16 at 2:18am in Portable Source Gear
- DAC Meridian explorer vs DAC Shiit Modi Last post on 2/16/14 at 3:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- One USB HUB to Rule Them All Last post on 4/25/15 at 11:23pm in Portable Source Gear
- Meridian Explorer vs. O2+ODAC COMBO Last post on 2/1/14 at 3:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/10/15
About Me: I'm just your average guy making his way through college with a passing interest in audio fidelity. I'm NOT an audiophile, but I've got a little experience ranging from lower-end...
Preamble: Pai Audio (http://www.paiaudio.com/indexEn.asp) is a relatively new audio company and based in Shenzhen, China. Established in 2014, they have specialised in manufacturing...
At the time this review was written, the Echobox Finder X1 was listed for sale on their website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
At the time this review was written, the Alpha & Delta was listed for sale on Lendmeurears website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
It’s not often I have the absolute pleasure of listening to headphones such as the MA750i. It’s been more than a year since I’ve gotten my Macaw GT100s, and several months since I’ve lost...
Meridian Explorer DAC/Amp Stream of Consciousness Review (WARNING: Not Good) - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Got one from Todd the Vinyl Junkie too measure the output impedance----Thanks Todd!
Using a 1kHz tone with 0.410 Vrms output into an open circuit
With 32 Ohm lod voltage dropped to 0.167 Vrms for a 46.56 Ohm calculated output Z
With 150 Ohm load voltage dropped to 0.312 Vrms for a calculated 47.12 Ohm output Z
Wow... so it's official then, purrin does NOT have a busted unit.... oh well.
It means that the amp essentially applies a headphone-dependent tone control (equalization curve) to the sound you hear. In many cases, this will mean the sound is more "midrangey" and with rolled off highs than an amp that is accurate. The effect will be more pronounced on low and medium impedance headphones, and most pronounced on low impedance IEMs with multiple drivers and crossover networks.
Also, it means that the bass will be poorly damped (wooly instead of tight). Some people perceive this as a more "bodacious" bass that they find pleasing, but it is not particularly accurate.
It also means that Purrin has much better hearing than Computer Audiophile's Chris Connaker, Audiostream's Michael Lavorgna, the Tone Audio reviewer, etc. Not bad at all Purrin! I wish there was some way to tag a user as having "good ears".
^^^I find that unlikely. But I do wonder if they were using it as a headphone amp or not. It might be fine our of the line out. Haven't read their reviews...maybe I should.
Lavorgna did most of his review with line out, amp, and, speakers, not headphones, on which he defers to Hertsens. He did this with Dragonfly and iDAC, too. More of a DAC-only evaluation. Connaker did more headphone evaluation, but some of it was with HD-600 (300 ohms), which should be less affected by the output Z. He also used some other 'phones that may well have been adversely affected by output Z that he didn't notice or report.
Still dismayed to hear these results, even though my HD-650 should be more impervious to the ill effects--and of course this issue goes away when using the line out and separate amp. Not that I'm letting Meridian off the hook; it's a pretty bad decision not to disclose such a consequential design trade-off.
Edited by Aerocraft67 - 2/27/13 at 5:31pm
It would be fairly disingenuous to review a portable dac/amp as a dac only. Defeats the purpose of having such a device if you have to carry another portable amp around.
Not quite sure what you mean by that, but ML and I communicate very little. Just see him a shows and stuff. Generally, we each do what we think is right for our respective readers and really don't worry about cross-over of product.
Valid point for sure. But having shopped this subsegment carefully, I found that it's actually hard to find a current-generation DAC-only device at this price point. Dragonfly, iDAC, and Explorer all come with amps. Even though iFi sells an amp designed to pair with iDAC. You have to move over to Modi or Halide at different price points to get DAC only. And all accounts are that these are all competent DACs.
What I was getting at (and aero seemed to imply as well) is that it would makes sense for Lavorgna not to focus on headphones as that seems to be your area while you would let him focus on something like digital downloads and DACs. At least that's what it seems from reading both sites.
Ah. Yes we're both aware of each other. For example I'll be doing fewer desktop speakers, and when I do they'll be compact low-cost ones because I know ML would cover the bigger more expensive ones. I know that JA sends headphone inquiries my way a lot. So we work together in a loose sense. Something like the Explorer may get covered by all three, and that doesn't bother us as there will be some naturally occurring editorial slant for each.
I gotta say when I heard the Explorer today it with Senn Momentums (a 22 Ohm headphone) that it sounded remarkably loose and uncontrolled.
- Meridian Explorer DAC/Amp Stream of Consciousness Review (WARNING: Not Good)
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 54 seconds ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 1 minute ago
- › For sale BHSE 3 minutes ago
- › The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen |... 4 minutes ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 7 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 10 minutes ago
- › FiiO Factory Tour 2016 10 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 10 minutes ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 10 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by Midgetguy
- › Pai Audio MR4 by HiFiChris
- › Echobox Audio Finder X1 by Hisoundfi
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by Hisoundfi
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Oriolus In-Ear Monitors (v2) by Aerosphere
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 Premium Over-the-Ear Folding Headphone by harry501501
- › Audio-Opus Opus#1 by musicday
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...