Recent Images In This Thread
- productMeridian Explorertagged by System, 4/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison: Meridian Explorer vs HRT Microstreamer Last post on 6/24/15 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- $189 ALO Audio The Key USB DAC - 32-Bit / 384KHz with PCM5102A Last post on 2/7/16 at 9:15pm in Portable Source Gear
- DAC Meridian explorer vs DAC Shiit Modi Last post on 2/16/14 at 3:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- One USB HUB to Rule Them All Last post on 4/25/15 at 11:23pm in Portable Source Gear
- Meridian Explorer vs. O2+ODAC COMBO Last post on 2/1/14 at 3:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/10/15
The E5 is so close to being a giant killer but it has a few major flaws in my opinion. This is a technically oriented review. I like neutral sound signatures and bit perfect playback. I don't...
"Massdrop Blue Box - NuForce HEM IEMs" special drop pricing = $169.99*; Actual MSRP = $399.00 (I joined the drop on Massdrop and received the HEM6; LINK. You can find these and the other...
Hi All, I was given the chance to review the new Shozy Zero Rosewood earphones in exchange for just a small fee to cover the shipping. I received, as I'm sure some other reviewers did, an...
-- I give you Lend Me UR Ears house brand Alpha & Delta D2 Sports Earphone: **A few Disclaimers to get out of the way here**: #1 – I was approached by Lend Me UR Ears to review the...
I really like the t-90; I have had them for about two months and really enjoy the brightness. I also have the T70p and the t-5p second gen. I like the t70p better than anything so far. The t 90...
Meridian Explorer DAC/Amp Stream of Consciousness Review (WARNING: Not Good) - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Got one from Todd the Vinyl Junkie too measure the output impedance----Thanks Todd!
Using a 1kHz tone with 0.410 Vrms output into an open circuit
With 32 Ohm lod voltage dropped to 0.167 Vrms for a 46.56 Ohm calculated output Z
With 150 Ohm load voltage dropped to 0.312 Vrms for a calculated 47.12 Ohm output Z
Wow... so it's official then, purrin does NOT have a busted unit.... oh well.
It means that the amp essentially applies a headphone-dependent tone control (equalization curve) to the sound you hear. In many cases, this will mean the sound is more "midrangey" and with rolled off highs than an amp that is accurate. The effect will be more pronounced on low and medium impedance headphones, and most pronounced on low impedance IEMs with multiple drivers and crossover networks.
Also, it means that the bass will be poorly damped (wooly instead of tight). Some people perceive this as a more "bodacious" bass that they find pleasing, but it is not particularly accurate.
It also means that Purrin has much better hearing than Computer Audiophile's Chris Connaker, Audiostream's Michael Lavorgna, the Tone Audio reviewer, etc. Not bad at all Purrin! I wish there was some way to tag a user as having "good ears".
^^^I find that unlikely. But I do wonder if they were using it as a headphone amp or not. It might be fine our of the line out. Haven't read their reviews...maybe I should.
Lavorgna did most of his review with line out, amp, and, speakers, not headphones, on which he defers to Hertsens. He did this with Dragonfly and iDAC, too. More of a DAC-only evaluation. Connaker did more headphone evaluation, but some of it was with HD-600 (300 ohms), which should be less affected by the output Z. He also used some other 'phones that may well have been adversely affected by output Z that he didn't notice or report.
Still dismayed to hear these results, even though my HD-650 should be more impervious to the ill effects--and of course this issue goes away when using the line out and separate amp. Not that I'm letting Meridian off the hook; it's a pretty bad decision not to disclose such a consequential design trade-off.
Edited by Aerocraft67 - 2/27/13 at 5:31pm
It would be fairly disingenuous to review a portable dac/amp as a dac only. Defeats the purpose of having such a device if you have to carry another portable amp around.
Not quite sure what you mean by that, but ML and I communicate very little. Just see him a shows and stuff. Generally, we each do what we think is right for our respective readers and really don't worry about cross-over of product.
Valid point for sure. But having shopped this subsegment carefully, I found that it's actually hard to find a current-generation DAC-only device at this price point. Dragonfly, iDAC, and Explorer all come with amps. Even though iFi sells an amp designed to pair with iDAC. You have to move over to Modi or Halide at different price points to get DAC only. And all accounts are that these are all competent DACs.
What I was getting at (and aero seemed to imply as well) is that it would makes sense for Lavorgna not to focus on headphones as that seems to be your area while you would let him focus on something like digital downloads and DACs. At least that's what it seems from reading both sites.
Ah. Yes we're both aware of each other. For example I'll be doing fewer desktop speakers, and when I do they'll be compact low-cost ones because I know ML would cover the bigger more expensive ones. I know that JA sends headphone inquiries my way a lot. So we work together in a loose sense. Something like the Explorer may get covered by all three, and that doesn't bother us as there will be some naturally occurring editorial slant for each.
I gotta say when I heard the Explorer today it with Senn Momentums (a 22 Ohm headphone) that it sounded remarkably loose and uncontrolled.
- Meridian Explorer DAC/Amp Stream of Consciousness Review (WARNING: Not Good)
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 10 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 24 seconds ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 3 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 4 minutes ago
- › WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in) 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Gungnir DAC 7 minutes ago
- › Removing the foam from HD600 8 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 8 minutes ago
- › McIntosh MHP1000 Headphones Announced in CES 8 minutes ago
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by vapman
- › NuForce HEM6 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Triple... by Hi-Fi EDU
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by jant71
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by BloodyPenguin
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by glennkresge
- › Unique Melody Miracle V2 Universal six driver in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by MMansell
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by stweb
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by ryanjsoo
- › Rhapsodio Galaxy by taz23
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse