- productMeridian Explorertagged by System, 4/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- $189 ALO Audio The Key USB DAC - 32-Bit / 384KHz with PCM5102A Last post on Today at 10:09 am in Portable Source Gear
- DAC Meridian explorer vs DAC Shiit Modi Last post on 2/16/14 at 3:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- One USB HUB to Rule Them All Last post on 2/17/14 at 1:15pm in Portable Source Gear
- Meridian Explorer vs. O2+ODAC COMBO Last post on 2/1/14 at 3:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- DRAGONFLY vs EXPLORER Last post on 3/6/14 at 9:40am in Dedicated Source Components
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
This card is really great if you're looking to power higher impedance cans at a bargain price. Another really great thing about this is that it's microphone input is vastly superior to that of most...
I've used most of the old-school brands (Grado, AKG, Sennheiser, Sony, Koss, David Clark, ...) and have tried several of the Jonny-come-latelys, and the HD700s are simply the best for comfort and...
Headphone: LCD-2 rev2 Comparition amp: Schitt Asgard v1 I can't tell how much i love my new Schiit amp - the Mjolnir. However, i remember the mids on my LCD-2 had been more thick and blooming...
I bought this in 2012-06, when my Brainwavz M2 broke. It was given a Sonic Diamond by ClieOS for the pre-order price and 4.2 / 5 for the sound quality, so I expected quite a bit. Unfortunately,...
This review is based on the brief time I had the X5 as part of the UK tour. I am not going in the facts, like spec, what's in the box etc, we all know that by now. This is all my...
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
Meridian Explorer DAC/Amp Stream of Consciousness Review (WARNING: Not Good) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'll try to measure the output Z directly. Just too lazy to grab resistors, alligator clips, etc. since my house is still a mess from the stuff I brought back from CHANG-Fest.
The Meridian Explorer is amazing. Truly astonishing, a work of art as well as a ground-breaking innovation. There is a reason it is on ComputerAudiophile's Cash List, Audiostream's Greatest Bits, and even Head-Fi's founder has proclaimed "I haven't heard one yet." Meridian is an audiophile brand used in world class pairings, such as TTVJ's show rigs (though the Pinnacle usually takes center stage there.) The Explorer is also built in the UK, something it shares with heavy-hitters like Naim and Paul McCartney. All caps are 'Audio Grade' and the unit is derived from the much more expensive 800 series, which must be tremendous in it's own right. The Meridian is a classy unit, like its heritage. It is for those of us with more refined tastes, such as Classical music from the Romantic Era and Patricia Barber. The Pixies were the beginning of the end, just some guys and a girl starting soft and getting really loud and then going soft again.
I think its pretty clear you guys just want to spoil the fun the rest of us are having by trying to kill any product that has a bit of hype. If this player is warm, its warm like sitting in front of a fire with hot cocoa and a good book. If it is veiled, it is veiled in the enticing way of the bellydancer. Excessively forgiving and polite? Sounds like a Brit to me. This product hasn't just broken the mold - it has obliterated it to the point where no one realizes there was mold in the first place. I'm sorry you guys are too busy being bitter and pretending to be pirates to realize the revelation you have witnessed. Don't Always Like Everything? The Hate Or Rage Never helps.
Im sitting here trying to figure out if this is trolling or serious mode.
I'm beginning to think these guys are artfully airing out two sides of an inside joke and having a laugh at our expense.
If i was you, i'd be honored to receive anything at all.
If what you say is true, then the implementation of the PCM5102 is a waste on this product, i can tell you the rPac(DAC only) or the WooAudio WA7 sound amazing with the same DAC the ME uses.
Time will tell when more users of Head-Fi report in.
Or maybe...some "mystery benefactor" with an axe to grind on Meridian sent the Explorer, certain that purrin would dutifully crap upon it with great flourish. OMG! Conspiracy!
or better yet, someone rigged it with the new beats by dre DAC, then sent it to him, clearly it was sabotaged.
Some people see conspiracy everywhere they turn. Someone PM'ed me with the craziest notion of subliminal messaging in the last two sentences of my last post. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one. Especially when dealing with the simple-minded.
Ah darn. I guess it's not bad for a BIC lighter then.
On a more serious note. The only reason I even bothered with measurements is because this thing sounded so off, at least with the HE500 and UERM. Measurements are a nice way to confirm subjective impressions. Here are some interesting results:
Objective2 amp: 1.46 ohms
UHA-6HS: 0.95 ohms
Meridian Explorer: 47.95 ohms
The output impedance was measured with a DMM and a resistor (used both 50 and 100ohm for two sets to confirm), not with lab grade stuff. Nevertheless, the results should be a good indicator of the actual output impedance.
Yup. 47.95 ohms. I measured it again. I couldn't believe it myself. Well, not really. I expected it given the how the ME fubar'd the UERM's frequency response and turned it into an improperly driven LCD2/3. The ME would not be ideal with the HE500 or UERM. The HE500 having lowish impedance (~35-47 ohms), and the UERM ~16 ohms? with uneven impedance throughout the audio band. Maybe the HD800 would fair better...
Edited by purrin - 2/26/13 at 1:14pm
You sure you were measuring the headphone jack?
I'll have one soon to confirm, but that's a spectacular error.
- Meridian Explorer DAC/Amp Stream of Consciousness Review (WARNING: Not Good)
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 32 seconds ago
- › CAL!2 vs? 1 minute ago
- › Replacement for Miles Davis Trumpets? 1 minute ago
- › Show us your vintage headphones! 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: June 28th, 2013) 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 3 minutes ago
- › Where do I go from the M100s? 3 minutes ago
- › Basshead IEMs with good fit 3 minutes ago
- › Project Sunrise/PS2 Tube Rolling Thread (and maybe even Project... 3 minutes ago
- › **Tubes for Crack or Woo** 4 minutes ago
- › Asus Xonar DGX by SSSN
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by stpope
- › Schiit Mjolnir by tamleo
- › Brainwavz M4 In-Ear Headphones by Kadano
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by KT66
- › Noontec ZOROHDBLK ZORO HD True Sound Headphones with Inline Mic and... by BillsonChang007
- › Hisoundaudio BA100 by Jazmanaut
- › Beats Studio Wireless Over-Ear Headphone by gl0ry
- › AKG K619 Premium DJ Headphones with Mic (Black) by jonnablaze
- › Cowon EM1 In-Earphone by vaibhavp
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude