Recent Images In This Thread
- productMeridian Explorertagged by System, 4/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison: Meridian Explorer vs HRT Microstreamer Last post on 6/24/15 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- $189 ALO Audio The Key USB DAC - 32-Bit / 384KHz with PCM5102A Last post on 4/13/15 at 12:56pm in Portable Source Gear
- DAC Meridian explorer vs DAC Shiit Modi Last post on 2/16/14 at 3:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- One USB HUB to Rule Them All Last post on 4/25/15 at 11:23pm in Portable Source Gear
- Meridian Explorer vs. O2+ODAC COMBO Last post on 2/1/14 at 3:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 6/26/15
Signature Acoustics C-12: The Elemental Underdog Woodies Company Background Audiophiles love music, especially when played from high quality audio products that contain several different...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank SoundMagic for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. If you live in US, they are currently available at a...
*A sample of the IEM500 was provided to me in return for my honest review* - Photos taken by, me.- One of the funniest things is when a company writes all these outlandish claims with their...
Me: I am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the...
These headphones are not for a true audiophile person. If you just want to watch movies on YouTube and talk with your friends on Skype - they will do the job for you. But if you want to enjoy your...
Meridian Explorer DAC/Amp Stream of Consciousness Review (WARNING: Not Good) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'll try to measure the output Z directly. Just too lazy to grab resistors, alligator clips, etc. since my house is still a mess from the stuff I brought back from CHANG-Fest.
The Meridian Explorer is amazing. Truly astonishing, a work of art as well as a ground-breaking innovation. There is a reason it is on ComputerAudiophile's Cash List, Audiostream's Greatest Bits, and even Head-Fi's founder has proclaimed "I haven't heard one yet." Meridian is an audiophile brand used in world class pairings, such as TTVJ's show rigs (though the Pinnacle usually takes center stage there.) The Explorer is also built in the UK, something it shares with heavy-hitters like Naim and Paul McCartney. All caps are 'Audio Grade' and the unit is derived from the much more expensive 800 series, which must be tremendous in it's own right. The Meridian is a classy unit, like its heritage. It is for those of us with more refined tastes, such as Classical music from the Romantic Era and Patricia Barber. The Pixies were the beginning of the end, just some guys and a girl starting soft and getting really loud and then going soft again.
I think its pretty clear you guys just want to spoil the fun the rest of us are having by trying to kill any product that has a bit of hype. If this player is warm, its warm like sitting in front of a fire with hot cocoa and a good book. If it is veiled, it is veiled in the enticing way of the bellydancer. Excessively forgiving and polite? Sounds like a Brit to me. This product hasn't just broken the mold - it has obliterated it to the point where no one realizes there was mold in the first place. I'm sorry you guys are too busy being bitter and pretending to be pirates to realize the revelation you have witnessed. Don't Always Like Everything? The Hate Or Rage Never helps.
Im sitting here trying to figure out if this is trolling or serious mode.
I'm beginning to think these guys are artfully airing out two sides of an inside joke and having a laugh at our expense.
If i was you, i'd be honored to receive anything at all.
If what you say is true, then the implementation of the PCM5102 is a waste on this product, i can tell you the rPac(DAC only) or the WooAudio WA7 sound amazing with the same DAC the ME uses.
Time will tell when more users of Head-Fi report in.
Or maybe...some "mystery benefactor" with an axe to grind on Meridian sent the Explorer, certain that purrin would dutifully crap upon it with great flourish. OMG! Conspiracy!
or better yet, someone rigged it with the new beats by dre DAC, then sent it to him, clearly it was sabotaged.
Some people see conspiracy everywhere they turn. Someone PM'ed me with the craziest notion of subliminal messaging in the last two sentences of my last post. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one. Especially when dealing with the simple-minded.
Ah darn. I guess it's not bad for a BIC lighter then.
On a more serious note. The only reason I even bothered with measurements is because this thing sounded so off, at least with the HE500 and UERM. Measurements are a nice way to confirm subjective impressions. Here are some interesting results:
Objective2 amp: 1.46 ohms
UHA-6HS: 0.95 ohms
Meridian Explorer: 47.95 ohms
The output impedance was measured with a DMM and a resistor (used both 50 and 100ohm for two sets to confirm), not with lab grade stuff. Nevertheless, the results should be a good indicator of the actual output impedance.
Yup. 47.95 ohms. I measured it again. I couldn't believe it myself. Well, not really. I expected it given the how the ME fubar'd the UERM's frequency response and turned it into an improperly driven LCD2/3. The ME would not be ideal with the HE500 or UERM. The HE500 having lowish impedance (~35-47 ohms), and the UERM ~16 ohms? with uneven impedance throughout the audio band. Maybe the HD800 would fair better...
Edited by purrin - 2/26/13 at 1:14pm
You sure you were measuring the headphone jack?
I'll have one soon to confirm, but that's a spectacular error.
- Meridian Explorer DAC/Amp Stream of Consciousness Review (WARNING: Not Good)
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced 1 minute ago
- › post your grado mods.... 2 minutes ago
- › Livesoundwave showroom opening in Orlando,FL. 2 minutes ago
- › Boston Meet? 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 3 minutes ago
- › Podcast-Fi 3 minutes ago
- › What % of equipment reviews do you believe? 7 minutes ago
- › Best headphones FOR ME for less than 200$? 7 minutes ago
- › Signature Acoustics Elements Series C-12 by vlenbo
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by twister6
- › Puro Sound Labs - IEM500 Earphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Matrix M-Stage by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by Dokins
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by DJScope
- › Astell&Kern AK10 Portable Hi-Fi Audio DAC Headphone amplifer... by Hawaiibadboy
- › iClever® IC-BTH01 Lightweight Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Sports... by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Cotnijoe
- › Aune B1 by Peter West
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)