Recent Images In This Thread
- productMeridian Explorertagged by System, 4/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Comparison: Meridian Explorer vs HRT Microstreamer Last post on 6/24/15 at 5:26pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- $189 ALO Audio The Key USB DAC - 32-Bit / 384KHz with PCM5102A Last post on 6/13/16 at 2:18am in Portable Source Gear
- DAC Meridian explorer vs DAC Shiit Modi Last post on 2/16/14 at 3:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- One USB HUB to Rule Them All Last post on 4/25/15 at 11:23pm in Portable Source Gear
- Meridian Explorer vs. O2+ODAC COMBO Last post on 2/1/14 at 3:07pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 12/10/15
So, I did a lot of reading when it came to this purchase, however, no amount of reviewing can objectively explain what you are actually going to hear when you plug them in - so I said 'screw it!'...
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 – initial impressions Many thanks to @Tony-Hifi from HiFiHeadphones.co.uk for adding me to the UK tour for these earphones – the impressions below are based on the time I...
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
This review was copy pasted from the Sound Blaster X7 thread with minor edits to make it appeal to broader audience. Intro First of all, I would really like to thank Andrew Sparks, the man...
Meridian Explorer DAC/Amp Stream of Consciousness Review (WARNING: Not Good) - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'll try to measure the output Z directly. Just too lazy to grab resistors, alligator clips, etc. since my house is still a mess from the stuff I brought back from CHANG-Fest.
The Meridian Explorer is amazing. Truly astonishing, a work of art as well as a ground-breaking innovation. There is a reason it is on ComputerAudiophile's Cash List, Audiostream's Greatest Bits, and even Head-Fi's founder has proclaimed "I haven't heard one yet." Meridian is an audiophile brand used in world class pairings, such as TTVJ's show rigs (though the Pinnacle usually takes center stage there.) The Explorer is also built in the UK, something it shares with heavy-hitters like Naim and Paul McCartney. All caps are 'Audio Grade' and the unit is derived from the much more expensive 800 series, which must be tremendous in it's own right. The Meridian is a classy unit, like its heritage. It is for those of us with more refined tastes, such as Classical music from the Romantic Era and Patricia Barber. The Pixies were the beginning of the end, just some guys and a girl starting soft and getting really loud and then going soft again.
I think its pretty clear you guys just want to spoil the fun the rest of us are having by trying to kill any product that has a bit of hype. If this player is warm, its warm like sitting in front of a fire with hot cocoa and a good book. If it is veiled, it is veiled in the enticing way of the bellydancer. Excessively forgiving and polite? Sounds like a Brit to me. This product hasn't just broken the mold - it has obliterated it to the point where no one realizes there was mold in the first place. I'm sorry you guys are too busy being bitter and pretending to be pirates to realize the revelation you have witnessed. Don't Always Like Everything? The Hate Or Rage Never helps.
Im sitting here trying to figure out if this is trolling or serious mode.
I'm beginning to think these guys are artfully airing out two sides of an inside joke and having a laugh at our expense.
If i was you, i'd be honored to receive anything at all.
If what you say is true, then the implementation of the PCM5102 is a waste on this product, i can tell you the rPac(DAC only) or the WooAudio WA7 sound amazing with the same DAC the ME uses.
Time will tell when more users of Head-Fi report in.
Or maybe...some "mystery benefactor" with an axe to grind on Meridian sent the Explorer, certain that purrin would dutifully crap upon it with great flourish. OMG! Conspiracy!
or better yet, someone rigged it with the new beats by dre DAC, then sent it to him, clearly it was sabotaged.
Some people see conspiracy everywhere they turn. Someone PM'ed me with the craziest notion of subliminal messaging in the last two sentences of my last post. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one. Especially when dealing with the simple-minded.
Ah darn. I guess it's not bad for a BIC lighter then.
On a more serious note. The only reason I even bothered with measurements is because this thing sounded so off, at least with the HE500 and UERM. Measurements are a nice way to confirm subjective impressions. Here are some interesting results:
Objective2 amp: 1.46 ohms
UHA-6HS: 0.95 ohms
Meridian Explorer: 47.95 ohms
The output impedance was measured with a DMM and a resistor (used both 50 and 100ohm for two sets to confirm), not with lab grade stuff. Nevertheless, the results should be a good indicator of the actual output impedance.
Yup. 47.95 ohms. I measured it again. I couldn't believe it myself. Well, not really. I expected it given the how the ME fubar'd the UERM's frequency response and turned it into an improperly driven LCD2/3. The ME would not be ideal with the HE500 or UERM. The HE500 having lowish impedance (~35-47 ohms), and the UERM ~16 ohms? with uneven impedance throughout the audio band. Maybe the HD800 would fair better...
Edited by purrin - 2/26/13 at 1:14pm
You sure you were measuring the headphone jack?
I'll have one soon to confirm, but that's a spectacular error.
- Meridian Explorer DAC/Amp Stream of Consciousness Review (WARNING: Not Good)
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 1 second ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 6 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 18 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 46 seconds ago
- › Real High End hand made tube headphone amp 58 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio WA-8 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Onkyo DAC Amp HA200 1 minute ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 1 minute ago
- › Looking for some decent IEMs around 100$ 1 minute ago
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Rob80b
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by desperategraves
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Jackpot77
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...