Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headphones collection?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headphones collection? - Page 4

post #46 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post

So what was the source you didn't like?

 

I won't say which CD player I was using when I had the SR-007mk1 / SRM-007t, but didn't like the SRM-007t either, I felt it drove the 007's with no authority. 

 

The point I was trying to make, is I just think when someone posts how impressed they are with their headphones and amp, they should say what source is being used.

I have the GS-Xmk2 which I'm using my HD-600's with it, and with the source I use, the SQ I'm getting is very impressive, however, I've heard one headfier doesn't like the GS-Xmk2, but say nothing about what source they're using.

post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

Every time I've mentioned about the source, which I've done several times, has been done after reading posts where headfiers have said how amazing their headphones and headphone amps sound, but without saying anything about the source. As we know, we can have high end headphones and amps, but we'll hear nothing without the source. It would be more helpful to those of us that have very little knowledge about audio gear, if when someone wrote their thoughts about how good their headphones sounded driven by a certain amp, they included what source is being used.

 

I once had the SR007mk1's / SRM-007t, at the time I had those two, my source was mediocre, and I was very disappointed with how the 007's sounded, so much so I didn't hesitate in using them along with the SRM-007t as part exchange towards getting the source I have now. Since that time, I've heard IanG's 007mk1's [ which he no longer has ] with my BHSE and my main source, and I wish I'd never let the SR-007mk1's go, [ the SRM007t, I was glad to be shut of it ] Ian's 007's sounded completely different to how mine sounded with the stax amp and source I had. 

 

I find, even with the combo of my HD-600 / Pico Slim / K-01, sounds better than the SR-007mk1 / SRM-007t and the source I had at that time, although the SR-007's to what I can recall, were more airy.

 

 

mostly of them don't have half of what you have(have you ever checked on their profile?).  still they don't listen and go out and try(you don't need money to go to a shop/meet and try).   i once asked why pick up a flagship headphones when you can use the flagship headphones money(around 1k) to build a real(good) headphone rig.  people took it personal and offensive and yell back at me.  they rather have a flagship headphones with some cheap(or importantly bad) amp with some cheap(again bad) sound card. 

post #48 of 63
Different headphones are important just to have around. I truly believe in just keeping stuff around.



We talk about the importance of the source but in reality it is the sum of everything and the synergistic properties of the group. I have one main headphone but stil it's important to have others as they help us hear.

Literally, if all you had was one pair you maybe would loose reference as to why you like it. I agree every system sounds different, every amp, every source so multiple systems could engage different headphones.

Most everyone here is trying to get to the optimal combo, the optimal sound. Still having a headphone that excels with one style of music is a reality. I have a set of headphones I only like for New Age music.


You really have different personality profiles here. Some folks go from one headphone to another, selling them used to buy a diffent pair. I always would wonder if they wish they had their old headphones to try with the new amp they just purchased. Different combos work well together and one headphone does not always work well with all amps.

Some folks keep headphones for years and eventually end up with a collection.

Tastes change too. How many members either wish they had a headphone they sold because they miss it or need another set to test a new system addition.

What happens when your musical tastes change? Do you keep using the same headphone even though maybe it's not good for rock?

Your not fully realizing the sonic opportunity before you only sticking with one set. There are still stacks of money to be spent and purchasing mistakes to be made before success is found.


There is also a level of entertainment when listening to a different sound signature, even if it isn't the best, I believe many headphones have different redeeming qualities with very few being the total endgame entity.
post #49 of 63

it goes hand in hand. fantastic source wont make bad headphone sounds good ie. like what stacker pointed out with beats analogy. same thing with bad source wont bring the best of good headphones.

 

some people are very impartial about source, they believe source is everything and david, i have to say reading through your post ,youre one of them. i'm not here to argue with you since i've never heard your source. for myself, i believe more at synergy than price which again seems to be what people believe and advocating

post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbigger View Post

it goes hand in hand. fantastic source wont make bad headphone sounds good ie. like what stacker pointed out with beats analogy. same thing with bad source wont bring the best of good headphones.

 

some people are very impartial about source, they believe source is everything and david, i have to say reading through your post ,youre one of them. i'm not here to argue with you since i've never heard your source. for myself, i believe more at synergy than price which again seems to be what people believe and advocating

 

I don't like to be causing or having arguments, but head-fi IMO, would be a boring place to visit if we all agreed on everything that was written, which is why I disagree with your post forbigger.

Fantastic sources will IMO make bad headphones or earphones sound good. I believe that because I once had some apple ear buds which were free with the iPod when I got it, and I found using them with my Pico Slim and Esoteric, the SQ from those ear buds was very good, not to the level of the 009's, but still very good. 

As I've said, I once had the SR-007mk1's / SRM-007t, and at that time my source was a Musical Fidelity CD player, but I can't remember the model, what I can remember, is that the SQ from that combo, wasn't as good as what I'm getting from my HD-600 / Pico Slim / Esoteric, and the GS-Xmk2 is even better.

 

For those that don't believe what I'm writing, all they have to do is take their headphones and amps to a local audio dealer, and ask if they could use them with a high end source, then if it's found there isn't an improvement, I'll apologise for what I've been writing.

post #51 of 63

A useless argument.  If a transducer has real distortion problems no great source will help it.  

 

Sometimes a soft, thick source will somewhat cover up harshness, but that's fixing anything.

 

Arguing about whether a great source can fix bad headphones or speakers, or whether source of transducer is more important, is like asking if a great engine can make up for a lousy handling race car, or if great handling can make up for a slow engine.  Bottom line, the best results can't be achieved without having both excellent.

 

Same for headphones.  

 

I personally would start with a very good source, but that does not mean getting bad headphones would sound good.  

 

Failing heart or liver: which is worse?  We can come up with infinite unanswerable questions.

 

In any case, the statement  "Fantastic sources will IMO make bad headphones or earphones sound good" can easily be proven false.  Please don't tell me you are a surgeon.  Logic like this is scary.   

post #52 of 63

I'd say that a good source can provide a substantial amount or subtle improvements to headphones both good and bad, but definitely not make a bad headphone sound good etc. i.e you can't use a $4.5k + Weiss 202 DAC to make a Apple ibud sound good, improvements in sound? Sure.

post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

 

I won't say which CD player I was using when I had the SR-007mk1 / SRM-007t, but didn't like the SRM-007t either, I felt it drove the 007's with no authority. 

 

The point I was trying to make, is I just think when someone posts how impressed they are with their headphones and amp, they should say what source is being used.

I have the GS-Xmk2 which I'm using my HD-600's with it, and with the source I use, the SQ I'm getting is very impressive, however, I've heard one headfier doesn't like the GS-Xmk2, but say nothing about what source they're using.

 

I think it is equally helpful when people point out the source they don't like.

post #54 of 63

I think that it's all a question of synergy, i'd rather have mid-fi sound system with components that work well together, than a high-end rig with poor synergy.

 

That being said, i think that since they're the ones responsable for transforming an electrical signal into actual sound,,the headphones have the most influence on the final sound signature.

 

I'm pretty sure that if i swap a $1000 Cambridge cd player for a $1000 Arcam cd player, the difference would probably be less obvious, than a swap between a pair of $1000 Audeze LCD-2 and a $1000 Grado GS-1000.

 

I believe that the headphones (or speakers), represent the vocal cords of a sound system, of course, that doesn't mean that the source and the amp, don't play an important role, i just think that they have a less  obvious influence on the final result.

 

Now, David, while i agree that knowing what source and amp people are using can be a helpful to form a general opinion, they're are still other factors to consider, for example, the type of medium used, cd, vinyl, computer , tape, etc,,, then they're is quality of the recording itself, also, the age of the listener, because, as you probably already know, when we get older, we're usually less sensitive to higher frequencys. and last, but not least, personal préférences, some like a little more bass, some like a little more treble...

 

Finally, i don't think that a good sounding source and amp can turn a bad sounding headphones into good sounding one, but i do believe that in some cases, a good front end, might improve things a little. Even if i use my Yamaha DVD-S2700 and my Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2 to drive my Grado SR-80i, they don't sound at all like my PS-1000.

post #55 of 63

david ,take your esoteric, put an ibud. compare it with hd580/600/650 with $100 source of your choice.

 

both use the same amp

 

i will leave the most likely answer to the rest of the member here

post #56 of 63

When I said a good source would improve bad headphones, I was thinking of headphones that are cheap, and apple ear buds aren't very expensive. ofcourse the ear buds weren't perfect because there was a lot of crackling at high volume, but I still found the SQ to be very good.

Those that have read my profile, and or my posts, will know I have Shure se535's, Senn HD-600's, and 009's, my amps being, Pico Slim, GS-Xmk2, and BHSE, and I don't need to say what the source is, although I do have an apple iPod. And I'm getting as much pleasure listening to my HD-600 / GS-Xmk2, as I am my 009 / BHSE. I'm not saying the HD-600's are bad headphones, if anything I find them the opposite, but they only cost me £269, whereas the 009 when I got them were £3330, but that was including an extension cable. , however I think the reason why those two combo's are closer in SQ to each other, is because of the source.

 

Some, if not all will probably think I'm writing a load of c- -p, but we all have our opinions, which I find makes going on Head-fi more interesting.


Edited by David1961 - 5/4/13 at 1:10am
post #57 of 63

Well, you can clearly hear that SR-009 delivers more details comparing to any other headphones with the same(almost any) source. Logically that brings us to conclusion that this very(almost any) source got more resolving power than every other headphones capable to transduce.

post #58 of 63

Obviously if I was wanting the upmost detail and transparency, then the 009 / BHSE betters the HD-600 / GS-Xmk2, but I am getting a lot of enjoyment from the HD-600 combo, which I believe my source has a lot to do with that. Headfiers have their opinions on what I've been writing, but I think the only ones that can actually agree or disagree, are those that have got or have heard the audio equipment I have. If googleli was allowed on head-fi, [ I haven't a clue why he was banned ] then he could have his say.

post #59 of 63

Well, I believe the only measured attribute to compare of a DAC - is resolving power. All others are subject to personal taste, and thus cannot be characterized as "better" or "worse", as some prefer clinical bit-perfect sound, others tend to love more round and warm sound, and etc etc. Everyone's got his or her own "best" sound. And since we've concluded earlier that (almost)any DAC outperforms most headphones capabilities to transduce sound details, it seems like its irrelevant to inform what source was used when claiming that some particular headphones do sound "good" :-)

post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

 

I won't say which CD player I was using when I had the SR-007mk1 / SRM-007t, but didn't like the SRM-007t either, I felt it drove the 007's with no authority. 

 

The point I was trying to make, is I just think when someone posts how impressed they are with their headphones and amp, they should say what source is being used.

I have the GS-Xmk2 which I'm using my HD-600's with it, and with the source I use, the SQ I'm getting is very impressive, however, I've heard one headfier doesn't like the GS-Xmk2, but say nothing about what source they're using.

 

I think it's funny that you want other people to disclose what source they are using and in the same breath you won't disclose a source you are using.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Headphones collection?