Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best headphones for electronic music?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best headphones for electronic music?

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 

Hi im thinking of getting some new cans ive got about a £350 budget. i listen to mainly electronic music such as, Electro house, Synth pop, dubstep and electro swing. I have no idea where to start realy ive heard some people say that the AKG K702s are good as well as the sennhiser 650s. any suggestions for headphones would be nice. as for a amp im thinking of getting a FiiO E9 and then a FiiO e7 DAC at a later date.

Thanks in advance :)

post #2 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revroo View Post

Hi im thinking of getting some new cans ive got about a £350 budget. i listen to mainly electronic music such as, Electro house, Synth pop, dubstep and electro swing. I have no idea where to start realy ive heard some people say that the AKG K702s are good as well as the sennhiser 650s. any suggestions for headphones would be nice. as for a amp im thinking of getting a FiiO E9 and then a FiiO e7 DAC at a later date.
Thanks in advance :)r

Ultrasone, but not sure which model. Anyone?
post #3 of 36
Ultrasone Pro 900

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
post #4 of 36
Thread Starter 

so would you say the ultrasone pro 900s are better than the hd 650s? i mean weather or not they are closed or open dosent bother me im only gona be using them in my home any way. from what I've seen i can get them for a similar price so don't worry about price in the comparison either 

post #5 of 36
Thread Starter 

bump

post #6 of 36
I'd vote Ultrasone - PRO900 or 2900. The 900 have more bass and somewhat less mids, while the 2900 are more balanced (still quite bassy overall, but the 900 are much heavier down low). I think just for electronic the 900 would be more fun, but overall I like the 2900 better. Comfort is about equal (as they're basically the same physical design).
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post

I'd vote Ultrasone - PRO900 or 2900. The 900 have more bass and somewhat less mids, while the 2900 are more balanced (still quite bassy overall, but the 900 are much heavier down low). I think just for electronic the 900 would be more fun, but overall I like the 2900 better. Comfort is about equal (as they're basically the same physical design).


Which one has a better soundstage (deep and spacious) and which is speedier, faster?

post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by korzena View Post


Which one has a better soundstage (deep and spacious) and which is speedier, faster?

Soundstage is fairly similar (both are S-LOGIC Plus), speed is fairly similar. PRO2900 probably has a slight edge in speed (but it may just be because they aren't as flush with bass that they seem this way), but they're pretty similar headphones apart from tonal balance (and if you swap the pads, even that becomes fairly similar).
post #9 of 36

Just to throw my opinion in, I don't like any of the Ultrasones I've heard, but I wouldn't mind using a Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 for electronic music.

post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post

Just to throw my opinion in, I don't like any of the Ultrasones I've heard, but I wouldn't mind using a Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 for electronic music.

I am afraid Sennheiser wouldn't be speedy enough for this kind of music.

post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post

Just to throw my opinion in, I don't like any of the Ultrasones I've heard, but I wouldn't mind using a Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 for electronic music.

 

Perhaps the 600's would be ok. But I think electronic music would sound a bit muddy on the 650's.

post #12 of 36

Maybe it was the amplification I heard it on, but I always thought the ultrasones (pro900) sounded very harsh to my ears. At that price range I'd rather hear something smoother. Maybe Denons? 

post #13 of 36
The Ultrasone Pro models do tend to be on the aggressive side on the high end but this does depend on amplification too. Although my Pro 750 isn't as bad as the Grado SR80 I used to have. Also depends on what you compare them to.

Joshua
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post

Maybe it was the amplification I heard it on, but I always thought the ultrasones (pro900) sounded very harsh to my ears. At that price range I'd rather hear something smoother. Maybe Denons? 

Are the PRO900 the only model you've heard? The 900 are bright and aggressive - if you're used to the very mushy and dark Sennheiser sound as "neutral" I could see them being "harsh" to you. Like Joshua said - depends on what they're being compared to, and how.

Personally I don't think the Senns are terrible for electronic music, but I'd prefer something punchier myself. Ultrasone is a good example, but not the only game in town (it also really depends on what we're meaning by "electronic music" - I've noted that in modern parlance, that's usually one-note boom-boom-boom-step, but it's a fairly wide genre).
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobskivich View Post


Are the PRO900 the only model you've heard? The 900 are bright and aggressive - if you're used to the very mushy and dark Sennheiser sound as "neutral" I could see them being "harsh" to you. Like Joshua said - depends on what they're being compared to, and how.

Personally I don't think the Senns are terrible for electronic music, but I'd prefer something punchier myself. Ultrasone is a good example, but not the only game in town (it also really depends on what we're meaning by "electronic music" - I've noted that in modern parlance, that's usually one-note boom-boom-boom-step, but it's a fairly wide genre).

I would appreciate recommendations for both dance music as well as 'spacious' music, like ambient, minimal and soundtracks, like Tron, Inception, Dark Knight.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Best headphones for electronic music?