My x-fi forte soundcard just died so looking to upgrade my audio. Want to spend $600 maybe will stretch to 700. Do i look at a new pair of headphones + usb dac or a souncard? Any reccomendations on what to get? I mostly listen to vocal trance/progressive house and most of my stuff is 320kbps/flac.
Related Forum Threads
- HD 650s keep breaking, is it my own ignorace? Last post on 4/4/16 at 6:23pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Desktop or Portable Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 8/14/15 at 3:54am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 12/23/15 at 9:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX Last post on Yesterday at 11:58 am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Xduoo X3 review : After two months of daily use, the Xduoo X3 give me already enough pleasure to make me want to share my enthusiast impressions about him to headfiers around the...
Coming from Sennheiser HD-600, 580s, Ety ER-4s, Fiio X1s, AKG 701s, Momentum 2.0s, etc. I didn't know exactly what to expect out of this headphones. They are, after all, Sonys. And Sony can build...
Review: Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone Touch Panel Control activated Introduction It was a brisk day in a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. I attended AXPONA, which is...
The Z2016. A strange beast that did have some potential Introduction Zhiyin is a name that has recently caused quite a stir here on Head-Fi after releasing their flagship model the QT5. Some...
Big thanks to InEar and Musicteck for providing a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer website:...
Computer Headphone Setup $600
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Do you play games at all?
If yes, Creative TiHD + Schiit Magni + HE-400
If no, Schiit Modi/Magni + HE-400
Other headphone choices are DT770/880/990, A900X, W1000X.
If you can get D600 for less than $400 consider that too.
Thanks, i do play games but music is way more important so is the soundcard still neccessary? Also i cant seem to find the schiit magni/modi in austraila. Any other reccomendations?
Edited by ClintonL - 2/22/13 at 5:09pm
For ALL sorts of gaming and wide variety of music i personally like the HT Omega Claro Halo soundcard (with built in headphone amp) and the Sennhiesers HD650.
HT Omega Claro Soundcard $200
I have been using this for 3 years and LOVE it.
Well you shouldn't need a new sound card unless you want to go that route. A USB DAC should replace the sound card and you'll be able to get all the normal sound you would from the computer via the the DAC: That means gaming, music, etc.
I would recommend
Schiit Modi (dac) - $99
Schiit Magni (amp) - $99
Mr.Speakers Mad Dog w/ Alpha pads. ($299)
(need a USB A Male to B Male cable to connect PC to the Modi: 5-10$) & (RCA interconnects. to connect Modi/Magni: 5-20$)
Cost after shipping (and tax if you're in CA) would be under $600 if you don't have to pay CA tax.
The Mad Dogs are a fantastic value for the sound you get. I used them for music and gaming, etc.
They have a fairly specific sound signature that you can read all about here.
The newest version was just released about 2 weeks ago. Short story:
Very comfortable. Fantastic detail, response, and separation. The sound signature is flat-ish. Bass is not overbearing; Just enough and good quality. Highs are dark and roll off a little bit so if you are into a big sparkle with your cymbal crashes, you might have to get accustom to that (maybe people prefer it that way). The Mids are amazing -- Vocals/Guitar/etc are really amazing.
Work great in games. Its not an in your face slam, but a laid back detailed sound. So I find it good for hearing footsteps and not getting fatigued by over-emphasized game music/booms. If you want a movie like in your face sound when you play games, this probably won't be what you want.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
I don't know about better, different yes. Maybe better depending on what you want your setup to look like/function. Price is better. Haven't heard one to compare. I can say that the schiit combo really does the job and looks sexy doing it. My only gripe stems from the bright white LEDs.
If you like the 3D surround DSP features such as Dolby Headphone or CMS3D (or whatever Creative equivalent for games), I'd stick with a sound card + amp. I'm running a Titanium HD + Magni myself and I'm enjoying it a whole lot. If the Magni isn't available to you, you might want to consider maybe the O2 Objective or a Fiio E9K. Or you could skip the card + amp combo and go with the Asus STX or Creative Z series, both have amps built in.
You could get the O2 + ODAC combo(separate units or together in one), that has a mountain of positive feedback. As I suggested before the Magni/Modi combo is great (but separate units only).
I think what you need to decide is on what function these or the xonar will play in your setup. More specifically, do you want to use it to power speakers, or headphones? Which ones? This are questions you need to answer before looking at the amp/dac. Depending on the phones, you might not need a amp at all, or an amp could be a must.
There are plenty of other amp+dac combos depending on your price range, but a good pair of cans is going to net you a much bigger difference in sound. (e.g.) Spending $1000 on a Lyr+Bitfrost combo won't do you a lot of good, or be very cost effective if your listening with your $20 specials.
1. Schiit Magni/modi stack with Mad Dogs w/alpha pads
2. Schiit Magni/modi stack with He-400 w/velour pads
3. 02 + Odac with the mad dogs or he-400
personally I think the schiit > 02 + Odac if you can get your hands on them, but the 02 + Odac great for their price too.
Its hard to pick the Mad Dogs or He-400 as I own and love both. Mad Dogs are much more comfortable IMO and are much more neutral then the he-400 IMO. Also the Mad Dogs are closed and Isolate much better. The HE-400's sound is very nice. rich bass and sexy mids, but much less flat then the mad dogs. Then again EQ can fix these small things too.
Only get a soundcard if you want the 3d surround sound. Based on what you said, you did not want that so I would say 10)% go with a amp/dac stack.
- Computer Headphone Setup $600
- › The RMAA (RightMark Audio Analyzer) Source and Audio Device... 11 seconds ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 1 minute ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 1 minute ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 3 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 4 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 5 minutes ago
- › Corny Jokes - the more the merrier 5 minutes ago
- › request: budget balanced sounding earphones 6 minutes ago
- › are hifiman 400i's a worthy purchase? 6 minutes ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › ZhiYin Z2016 by crabdog
- › InEar StageDiver SD-4 (Small) by twister6
- › Stax SR-202 by snapacap
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Deftone
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Aornic
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by Midgetguy
- › Pai Audio MR4 by HiFiChris
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...