Hi, I'm in the market for good headphones + DAC / amp with about a $700-$800 total budget.
My source will mainly be from a Macbook Pro (late 2011) w/ lossy streaming @ 320 Kbps (Spotify). I still want it to sound good with FLAC files. I listen mostly to rock, jazz, classical, hip hop, and electronica. I prefer closed, over-ear, circumaural, comfortable headphones that lean more towards an accurate, natural sound - tight/deep/punchy bass, warm mids, bright highs, clear and detailed across the board.
After some research, I am considering the following options:
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 80 ohms
- Denon AH-D600
- Denon AH-D2000 (discontinued)
Headphone Amp + DAC:
- JDS Labs O2 + ODAC
- Asus Xonar Essense One Plus Edition
- Generally, do headphones with higher impedance sound better than headphones with lower impedance? My assumption is that headphones with higher impedance sound better because they allow for bigger voice coils with less distortion. If this is the case, do the DT770 Pros sound better than the AH-D600s?
- The Denon AH-D2000 are discontinued, what are the closest sounding headphones that are still in production?
- If I have to EQ my headphones, does it mean the headphones are not good? Is it common to EQ high-end headphones? For example, would you need to EQ a set of $1500 - $2000 headphones?
- Can you suggest similar headphones + amp / DACs listed above?
Edited by jpongin - 2/21/13 at 4:58pm