Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What headphones do you use for travelling?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What headphones do you use for travelling?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Obviously, you can't use bulky and big headphones on the go. What headphones do you prefer when you travel?

post #2 of 19

Hey, I started a thread that kind of mentioned this the other day...you might want to look into some Senn's. Based on the music list I gave, the Senn HD598's seemed like the way to go, for use in hotels and stuff- no amp required. I am still looking into a couple other possibilities though...like their Amperior's, but I haven't gotten much comparison of the two yet.

 

It'll help the forum if you add a price range and specify more of the particulars of what you're looking for (such as closed/open, music style, etc.). There are soo many options! This forum is great though, so I am sure you'll find something :)

post #3 of 19

using the MS1i, cause my iem's sound too much like pure garbageredface.gif

post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsam View Post

Obviously, you can't use bulky and big headphones on the go. What headphones do you prefer when you travel?

 

Heya,

 

I use big, bulky headphones on the go. They don't fold. They don't swivel. They can fit below my neck if I need to take a phone call or talk to someone. But otherwise, they're meant for listening and isolation. Which they do very well with. They're either on my head being listened to, or once I'm to my destination they're in a protective travel case or thrown in my messenger bag (they're super durable so I don't care I throw them in my bag). I actually dislike little headphones and earphones, and I sneer when I see them dangling around necks like plastic jewelry with a cord going to some junk ultra compressed rips on some phone. I go through airports this way. Around town this way. And on campus this way.

 

Premium DT770 600ohms with T70 microfiber pads, custom re-cabled by Brian at BTG Audio to have a detachable locking mini-XLR port terminated to 3.5mm and XLR (I have two cables) so I can go unbalanced and balanced at will. Plus an extension cable for home use. Gives me all the isolation I can want (T70 pads are very isolating), and a slightly warm signature in the Beyer. The premium DT770's are more closer to a warm neutral, not bassy. They used to be pretty much the closed audiophile headphone in it's price range prior to the past few years (and I still think it's incredible, too bad they discontinued such a great headphone, but all the greats are being let go... the DT770... D2000... sigh, I digress). Plus the style, I love the old DT770 style (the new T70 copied it and they discontinued the DT770 premium line; but the T70 sounds thin and bright which is not what I want from a Beyer). I use a Sansa Fuze with LOD to a Fiio E11 (soon to be Fiio E12) with 32gb of lossless FLAC albums. Works great. Despite the 600ohms rating, they're more efficient than you'd think. I got 600ohm because at home I like to use them on my speaker amp setup and some of my high impedance OTL tube amps.

 

But maybe I'm crazy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Very best,


Edited by MalVeauX - 2/21/13 at 4:49am
post #5 of 19

Sony XBA-3s for public transport and Symphones Magnums (considerably modified Grados) for in the hotel. I was using a pair of V-MODA M80s as "cafe headphones" for a while when I had the chance as they have very good isolation.

post #6 of 19

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsam View Post

Obviously, you can't use bulky and big headphones on the go. What headphones do you prefer when you travel?


Well, one can, up to a point.

 

On long journeys (train, plane etc.) I use my noise cancelling Audio Technica ones, often from the Laptop and now with my iFi iDAC USB DAC/Headamp.

For more casual travel like on the tube or bus in London I use my smaller JVC HP-AL-1000 straight into my Samsung Galaxy.

Cheerio Rich

post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by April2Ari View Post

Hey, I started a thread that kind of mentioned this the other day...you might want to look into some Senn's. Based on the music list I gave, the Senn HD598's seemed like the way to go, for use in hotels and stuff- no amp required. I am still looking into a couple other possibilities though...like their Amperior's, but I haven't gotten much comparison of the two yet.

 

It'll help the forum if you add a price range and specify more of the particulars of what you're looking for (such as closed/open, music style, etc.). There are soo many options! This forum is great though, so I am sure you'll find something :)


I'm thinking of closed ones probably around $200. I mostly listen to rock and heavy music but I also listen classical sometimes.

post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 

Well, I think I'm gonna go with V-Moda M-80 or M-100. I think they'll be great.

post #9 of 19

My favorite travel headphones are the V-Moda M100s.

post #10 of 19

Someday I might find an IEM or portable headphone I really like, but for now my SRH440 works brilliantly on the go. I've never felt like its size was a huge impediment (though the mondo strain relief on cup entry occasionally upsets the fit during the winter when I wear bulky clothes under my coat). People probably think I look strange, or perhaps that I'm just a wannabe riding on the Beats craze (the SRH440 looks vaguely like one of the Beats products in shape), but I don't care. Not that I spend much time ruminating on it, but at any given time I probably have the best sounding headphones on campus by a distance of several light years. The competition is heating up, though, since I've seen a few Aviators and M80s this year. biggrin.gif

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post

People probably think I look strange, or perhaps that I'm just a wannabe riding on the Beats craze (the SRH440 looks vaguely like one of the Beats products in shape), but I don't care. Not that I spend much time ruminating on it, but at any given time I probably have the best sounding headphones on campus by a distance of several light years. The competition is heating up, though, since I've seen a few Aviators and M80s this year. biggrin.gif

 

You're not alone. Been using the KRK8400 lately on travels, and never been happier. They share a similar size with the Shure's. 

post #12 of 19

Sennheiser Momentum and Heir Audio 8.A CIEMs, heaven for me when I'm on the road.

post #13 of 19
Ultrasone ed8 driven by the alo continental vacuum tube potable amp...the edition 8s have never sounded better.
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post

Ultrasone ed8 driven by the alo continental vacuum tube potable amp...the edition 8s have never sounded better.

 

Just tried my Edition 8s on a  plane- they worked surprisingly well.  But I put them back in their fuzzy bag after not too long, I'm always afraid of damaging them.  Went back to SE535, my out & about earphone.  Monster coppers are my beaters if I'm being chased by dogs/raccoons.

post #15 of 19

Ive used PX360 most of the time. Now that Ive bought the Momentums and given my PX360s to my wife, I will probably still use the PX360s to travel as the Momentums dont fold down nicely and are expensive. My wife will probably use HD201s which I will be buying for her soon enough.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › What headphones do you use for travelling?