- 21 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- How many hours a week (on avg) do you listen to your full-size headphones? Last post on 7/18/13 at 10:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 10/19/14 at 1:10pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Shootout - Entry to Mid-range Full Size Cans - Feat. ATH-M50, HD 558, and HE-400 Last post on 2/23/15 at 7:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- GRADO RS1i upgrade Last post on 6/3/14 at 3:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado RS1i breakin Last post on 5/18/14 at 6:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
This is my first review on head-fi. I had humble beginnings in my path as an audiophile that only officially started once I got the wonderful AKG K550 and grew more conscious of the link between...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank RIVA Audio team for a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Thanks to the original Jambox, going back a few years, wireless...
http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/ It takes a lot of confidence to name your product after the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird. If your going to honor the legendary mach 3+ strategic reconnaissance...
Every 6 months I've had the pleasure of talking to Shinobu Karaki of Aurorasound at the Tokyo headphone festivals. As an ex-Texas Instruments employee he has come up with some interesting...
For me, the Audeze EL-8Cs satisfy a long awaited two year search for a closed headphone that I can use at work that sound just as good as my home theater setup. I enjoy them so much, that I cannot...
audio technica ath-m50 vs hifiman he400
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I haven't tried either of these headphones, but i'd imagine that the HE 400's are very much superior to the M50's in terms of sound quality.
Both headphones are apparently fantastic performers for their price range, so you could expect the HE 400's to sound quite a bit better than the M50's considering its in a different price range.
But how much better, I couldn't tell you.
The biggest upgrade would be the spaciousness of the sound. M50 isn't very spacious in its sound, things seem very crammed together. The amount of instrument separation HE-400 throws at you during complex passages is great too, when things harmonize together the HE-400 picks different tones apart very well. M50's bass will seem cavernous in comparison to the HE-400, but it's a very fun bass.
Have you owned both? What puts it in a different class? Or is that a dumb question?
Yes I have owned both.
Different class as in HE400's clarity, resolution, transparency, realism, etc etc are far far ahead of M50's. The sheer difference in performance makes it pointless to compare the two more than saying that "one is in a whole different class relative to the other".
An analogy would be that you never see written car comparison reviews between Hyundais and Porsches, because there is no need to.
if this was your first headphone purchase, then I would compare the M50's to the HE-400's in terms of which would be a better value for your needs.
however, since you already own the Grado RS1i's, the M50's would be a downgrade for you. coming from the RS1i's, the lack of detail in the M50's (by comparison) would make them sound like rubbish.
to answer your question: yes, you would be missing a lot going with the M50's.
- audio technica ath-m50 vs hifiman he400
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › USB Audio noise on iMac 1 minute ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 1 minute ago
- › AKG k550 alternate ear pads? 1 minute ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced 3 minutes ago
- › UK 2015 Head-Fi Meet (Cambridge - Saturday 25th April) 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › DAP: How to manage & search SD cards? 5 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DreamKing
- › Riva TurboX High Performance Premium Mobile Bluetooth Speaker (Black) by twister6
- › Ray Samuels Emmeline "The Black Bird" SR-71A Portable... by Stereocilia
- › Aurorasound HEADA Balanced Headphone Amplifier by Currawong
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by bearcat1986
- › Bravo Audio Tube Amplifier - V3 by YoYo JoKeR
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by DJScope
- › HiFiMAN HE-500 by MrJohnny
- › Shure SE112m+-GR Sound Isolating Earphones with Remote + Microphone... by pformagg
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by Luckbad
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2