- 21 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- How many hours a week (on avg) do you listen to your full-size headphones? Last post on 7/18/13 at 10:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 10/19/14 at 1:10pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Shootout - Entry to Mid-range Full Size Cans - Feat. ATH-M50, HD 558, and HE-400 Last post on 2/23/15 at 7:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- GRADO RS1i upgrade Last post on 6/3/14 at 3:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado RS1i breakin Last post on 5/18/14 at 6:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
The price to performance ratio of the HiFiMan HE-400 is truly exceptional. The clamping force of new head band is tight and requires break-in. I prefer the the plush pads over stock pads for...
They are a very good option. The sound is natural, they are comfortable to use. The only con I have with it is the included cable that is too long and bulky (if you want to listen them connected...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I must admit, until recently, I was not aware of the Master and Dynamic brand. I had heard about them on the forums, but never really read anything about them. Their recent model MH40 is their...
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
audio technica ath-m50 vs hifiman he400
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I haven't tried either of these headphones, but i'd imagine that the HE 400's are very much superior to the M50's in terms of sound quality.
Both headphones are apparently fantastic performers for their price range, so you could expect the HE 400's to sound quite a bit better than the M50's considering its in a different price range.
But how much better, I couldn't tell you.
The biggest upgrade would be the spaciousness of the sound. M50 isn't very spacious in its sound, things seem very crammed together. The amount of instrument separation HE-400 throws at you during complex passages is great too, when things harmonize together the HE-400 picks different tones apart very well. M50's bass will seem cavernous in comparison to the HE-400, but it's a very fun bass.
Have you owned both? What puts it in a different class? Or is that a dumb question?
Yes I have owned both.
Different class as in HE400's clarity, resolution, transparency, realism, etc etc are far far ahead of M50's. The sheer difference in performance makes it pointless to compare the two more than saying that "one is in a whole different class relative to the other".
An analogy would be that you never see written car comparison reviews between Hyundais and Porsches, because there is no need to.
if this was your first headphone purchase, then I would compare the M50's to the HE-400's in terms of which would be a better value for your needs.
however, since you already own the Grado RS1i's, the M50's would be a downgrade for you. coming from the RS1i's, the lack of detail in the M50's (by comparison) would make them sound like rubbish.
to answer your question: yes, you would be missing a lot going with the M50's.
- audio technica ath-m50 vs hifiman he400
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 10 seconds ago
- › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E... 17 seconds ago
- › Mod HD 439 the budget Bass King??? 34 seconds ago
- › On a mission to like jazz 49 seconds ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2