- 26 Posts. Joined 8/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- How many hours a week (on avg) do you listen to your full-size headphones? Last post on 7/18/13 at 10:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 10/19/14 at 1:10pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Shootout - Entry to Mid-range Full Size Cans - Feat. ATH-M50, HD 558, and HE-400 Last post on 2/23/15 at 7:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- GRADO RS1i upgrade Last post on 6/3/14 at 3:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado RS1i breakin Last post on 5/18/14 at 6:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
First off, I got the E80 on loan from a generous fellow headfi'er. You know who you are. Thanks! I have absolutely no connection to SoundMagic and have no incentive to compose this review...
The Blackwood and Cherrywood side by side. Overall view of what this review consisted of. First of all, I’d like to thank Zach for supplying the Omni for this...
Everybody knows Sennheiser. They are doing great job at delivering good sound for all prices. I am doing this review with price factor in thought. First of all it is suprisingly detailed sounding...
Wow. There doesn’t seem to be a more appropriate way to word the beginning of this review, than to simply express my genuine surprise, and indeed – to a certain extent – admiration of the UMi Voix...
I bought the Q Audio French Silk balanced cable for my Audeze LCD-3's mainly because of the ergonomics and cool design/look over the stock cables. When running balanced, I doubted I would hear much...
audio technica ath-m50 vs hifiman he400
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I haven't tried either of these headphones, but i'd imagine that the HE 400's are very much superior to the M50's in terms of sound quality.
Both headphones are apparently fantastic performers for their price range, so you could expect the HE 400's to sound quite a bit better than the M50's considering its in a different price range.
But how much better, I couldn't tell you.
The biggest upgrade would be the spaciousness of the sound. M50 isn't very spacious in its sound, things seem very crammed together. The amount of instrument separation HE-400 throws at you during complex passages is great too, when things harmonize together the HE-400 picks different tones apart very well. M50's bass will seem cavernous in comparison to the HE-400, but it's a very fun bass.
Have you owned both? What puts it in a different class? Or is that a dumb question?
Yes I have owned both.
Different class as in HE400's clarity, resolution, transparency, realism, etc etc are far far ahead of M50's. The sheer difference in performance makes it pointless to compare the two more than saying that "one is in a whole different class relative to the other".
An analogy would be that you never see written car comparison reviews between Hyundais and Porsches, because there is no need to.
if this was your first headphone purchase, then I would compare the M50's to the HE-400's in terms of which would be a better value for your needs.
however, since you already own the Grado RS1i's, the M50's would be a downgrade for you. coming from the RS1i's, the lack of detail in the M50's (by comparison) would make them sound like rubbish.
to answer your question: yes, you would be missing a lot going with the M50's.
- audio technica ath-m50 vs hifiman he400
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Different impedance. Benefits? 15 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 27 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 50 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears 4 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 5 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by nmatheis
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by Jjacq
- › Sennheiser - Sennheiser CX 200 Street II by Gonomon
- › UMI Voix Blu by Rashmosh
- › Q Cables by Mediahound
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by goodyfresh
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › Bose® Computer MusicMonitor® -- Silver by labrat
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3