Hey everyone, new to this forum (actually new to forums all together, this is my first post in any forum) so excuse any of my ultra-noob behavior.
Ok so I have been looking all over the internet for a pair of headphones. My last pair of Fake Chinese MDR-7509's were sat on by a very large woman while i was on an airplane, and they didn't stand a chance, so now I need a new pair.
I have been looking all over the internet, but I need some help from some more knowledgable people, rather than my buddy that works at guitar center haha
I am going to be using these headphones for a lot of different purposes, because i can only really afford one good pair, and can't buy multiple headphones for each purpose. I'll use them for casual listening, drumming, recording, mixing, and Djing. I'm not expecting it to perfectly do all of those, just something that will "work" for each application.
I am looking for a headphone that is:
2. Has a fairly flat and un-colored response (for mixing)
3. Isn't too ugly to wear in public
4. has a detachable cable (so i can replace, because i can almost guarantee that i'll break the cable and need a new one)
5. has good isolation (keeping sound from coming out)
6. can be driven without an amp
8. And it can't be a pair of beats. I went down that path and I don't plan on ever touching another pair. period. they just plain sucked.
I've looked at a ton of comparison and reviews, and the three that stood out to me were the
- Beyer Custom one pro (i like the over ear design and the bass sliders are a pretty cool feature)
- Senn HD 25-1 ii (their fantastic reputation is hard to ignore, but they are supra-aural, which isn't my favorite)
- DT 770 pro (I tried a friends pair, and loved them, but the cable wouldn't come detach, which makes me scared)
- Pioneer HDJ-2000 (they look super cool, but many say the hinge breaks, and many also say the bass can be a little sloppy/slow)
- Sony MDR-7506 Great reputation, but once again, no detachable cable :(
Anybody own any of these headphones or have another recommendations? My budget is around $200. I'm leaning towards the custom one pro or HD 25-1 ii.
Edited by sbrennt - 2/19/13 at 1:41pm