- 408 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Location: London
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Upgrade Suggestions from NFB-12 Last post on 12/15/13 at 3:42pm in Dedicated Source Components
- did i make the right choice? i hope i did...let me know and what you think Last post on 12/7/13 at 6:40pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best solution for me? Last post on 12/4/13 at 7:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Will I benefit from an amp/DAC in my set up? Last post on 12/3/13 at 3:28pm in Computer Audio
- Looking for a cheap headphone amp for turntable setup Last post on 12/4/13 at 2:51am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I have been using Samson SR940 for a week now so this review will not be too detailed. It was a blind purchase as there are no helpful reviews available. I bought two headphones; Beyer DT880 pro...
This Headphone have Very Good and Smooth Mid / High, Good Bass response. Cold-side, Analytical, Overall Clarity made this Headphone Shine, Bass may lack on some track or Not enough for some...
I recently traded my ATM-50's since they unfortunately lost lower frequencies and started crackling in the left ear. So I thought "Why not try something different". I was looking for something to...
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Mr speaker mad dogs vs k550 or otherpost #1 of 212/19/13 at 1:29pmThread StarterHow do these two stack up to each other? I have heard the 550 and enjoyed them but that was straight out of an iPod. I was set on the MD but keep looking at the 550 if they are on the same level is buy these tomorrow. If these get absolutely destroyed by the mad dogs then what are on a similar level that are affordable? Soundstage and detail is a must. I listen to rock, metal some old school hip hop. I can buy the mad dogs in about 10 days so if tere is nothing better ill buy them.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 212/19/13 at 1:37pm
Mad Dogs need quite a good amp to bring them to their best.
If you're going to just listen straight from your iPod, then I think there are better headphones out there.
What's your budget? Up to Mad Dogs price tag? ($299?)post #3 of 212/19/13 at 1:40pmThread Starterpost #4 of 212/19/13 at 1:46pm
I tried the Mad Dogs directly out of my iPhone 5 and Fiio E12 very recently.
Let's just say that wasn't the best pairing ever. However, if you happen to have a treble-boosting amp, or one that specifically boosts clarity (even more than the O2, by the way), then Mad Dogs may be good for you.
If you are looking for more bass than the K550, V-Moda's new M100 is a good contender. Alternatively, I think Audio Technica WS99 is also a good contender, although I haven't heard that one yet to really lay down any thought about it.
If you are not looking for more bass, but rather more treble and midrange details, then I think the K550 is pretty hard to beat in the price range.post #5 of 212/19/13 at 1:52pmThread StarterI didn't like the m100 at all it was too much bass without detail for me. I'm not too fussed with bass as long as its not non existent. I may choose the k550, I already own the k701 I use it as my home headphone mostly for gaming I really enjoy them. Would you say the k560 are b the same league as Mad dogs then?post #6 of 212/19/13 at 6:01pmThread Starterpost #7 of 212/19/13 at 6:48pm
I think the Mad Dogs with proper amping actually sounds better, with a fuller, and lusher midrange, and it also has more bottom end, so I don't know if I should lump them together in the same league.
I do know that the Mad Dogs can play with the big boys around the $500 - $800 price range, though. Basically, the Mad Dogs will scale better as you get better gears.
The K550, I don't think gets that much better with much better gears. They are sort of stuck where they are.
Edited by Bill-P - 2/19/13 at 6:49pmpost #8 of 212/19/13 at 7:06pmpost #9 of 212/19/13 at 7:17pm
I preferred Mad Dogs straight out an ipod to K550 out a Bottlehead Crack. They don't get extremely loud out an ipod but even with under-amplification they're more refined and enjoyable. Bill-P is right, as good as they are, they could still benefit from some equalization or an extremely flat/non-warm amp.post #10 of 212/19/13 at 9:34pmpost #11 of 212/20/13 at 4:48amThread Starterpost #12 of 212/20/13 at 1:35pmThread Starterpost #13 of 213/9/13 at 2:59am
lol well I tried the AKG K550 recently & all I have to say is damnnn. and I'mma basshead too lol.
I am not sure if I am crazy but I feel like I can tell exactly where all the instruments are around me... has anyone else experienced this??
the mids & treble are pretty redic... definitely don't remember hearing a lot of these subtles w/ the M100. The bass on the K550 is tight & accurate, but doesn't seem to have that boom or punch? Not sure what the word is lol.
Mann, I really do miss that low rumble purring bass, but I am definitely impressed! hahah
What headphones are even better than this???? I wanna try!!!!post #14 of 213/9/13 at 8:32am
Try Audio Technica ATH-ES10, ATH-ESW11LTD, ATH-W1000X, W3000ANV, W5000, etc...
Or Denon D2000, D5000, D7000
Or Mr. Speaker's Mad Dogs (same price as K550) w/ some good source/amp combo
Or if you want to scale even higher, Fostex TH600, TH900...
Those are all closed-back headphones. Pretty much every open-back headphone over $200 MSRP sounds better than the K550 IMO.post #15 of 213/9/13 at 8:47am
Using the K550 with an iphone on the go isn't really ideal. it ain't fun walking around with a 3 meter cord in your pocket. Also, to really enjoy them I think you need to be pretty focused on the music, not something people do on the go.
i'm not saying their bad, on the contrary, these are in my opinion very unique sounding phones but for portable use you can get much better.
Any specific reason your bent on the K550 VS mad dogs?
- Mr speaker mad dogs vs k550 or other
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Is Schiit Magni (amp) good enough for akg k70. Please HELP 34 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 55 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 1 minute ago
- › DA&T AC Filter Impression 2 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › Best phone for music listening 2 minutes ago
- › 128GB iPod mini (and possibly 256GB) retroMod 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Owner's Club / Appreciation /... 3 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 3 minutes ago
- › Samson SR950 by Emid
- › TDK BA200 by kimvictor
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital