- 294 Posts. Joined 9/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
- itemAKG K 550
Related Forum Threads
- AKG K550 - LIKE NEW IN BOX Last post on Yesterday at 10:19 am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- AKG K550, Sony MDR-XB500 Last post on 5/17/13 at 6:24pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- AKG K550 Last post on 5/20/13 at 8:12pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- F/S Sony MDR-1R, AKG K550, Focal Spirit One Last post on 5/16/13 at 1:28pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- AKG K550 Issue. Last post on 5/12/13 at 12:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
I used this amp mainly with a pair of HD 650 and it does what it is supposed to do: it has way more power than I need, it's quiet and it makes everything sound in its place. I have never heard...
I bought these headphones just for the fun of it, to see how they sound with all that apparently amazing bass. Well, for $50, they're ok sounding for extra bass headphones. They do have a...
Bought it some time ago, based on user reviews. Straight out of the box it seemed huge, especially compared to my old Cowon D2. Also, sound was awful. Granted, I don't have large hi-fi cans, only...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the ATH-CKN70. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The...
Introduction I’m a basshead. I say that loudly and proudly, even though some folks believe basshead and audiophile are mutually exclusive. Obviously, I’m not in that camp. But sometimes, I...
Mr speaker mad dogs vs k550 or other
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Mad Dogs need quite a good amp to bring them to their best.
If you're going to just listen straight from your iPod, then I think there are better headphones out there.
What's your budget? Up to Mad Dogs price tag? ($299?)
I tried the Mad Dogs directly out of my iPhone 5 and Fiio E12 very recently.
Let's just say that wasn't the best pairing ever. However, if you happen to have a treble-boosting amp, or one that specifically boosts clarity (even more than the O2, by the way), then Mad Dogs may be good for you.
If you are looking for more bass than the K550, V-Moda's new M100 is a good contender. Alternatively, I think Audio Technica WS99 is also a good contender, although I haven't heard that one yet to really lay down any thought about it.
If you are not looking for more bass, but rather more treble and midrange details, then I think the K550 is pretty hard to beat in the price range.
I think the Mad Dogs with proper amping actually sounds better, with a fuller, and lusher midrange, and it also has more bottom end, so I don't know if I should lump them together in the same league.
I do know that the Mad Dogs can play with the big boys around the $500 - $800 price range, though. Basically, the Mad Dogs will scale better as you get better gears.
The K550, I don't think gets that much better with much better gears. They are sort of stuck where they are.
Edited by Bill-P - 2/19/13 at 6:49pm
I preferred Mad Dogs straight out an ipod to K550 out a Bottlehead Crack. They don't get extremely loud out an ipod but even with under-amplification they're more refined and enjoyable. Bill-P is right, as good as they are, they could still benefit from some equalization or an extremely flat/non-warm amp.
lol well I tried the AKG K550 recently & all I have to say is damnnn. and I'mma basshead too lol.
I am not sure if I am crazy but I feel like I can tell exactly where all the instruments are around me... has anyone else experienced this??
the mids & treble are pretty redic... definitely don't remember hearing a lot of these subtles w/ the M100. The bass on the K550 is tight & accurate, but doesn't seem to have that boom or punch? Not sure what the word is lol.
Mann, I really do miss that low rumble purring bass, but I am definitely impressed! hahah
What headphones are even better than this???? I wanna try!!!!
Try Audio Technica ATH-ES10, ATH-ESW11LTD, ATH-W1000X, W3000ANV, W5000, etc...
Or Denon D2000, D5000, D7000
Or Mr. Speaker's Mad Dogs (same price as K550) w/ some good source/amp combo
Or if you want to scale even higher, Fostex TH600, TH900...
Those are all closed-back headphones. Pretty much every open-back headphone over $200 MSRP sounds better than the K550 IMO.
Using the K550 with an iphone on the go isn't really ideal. it ain't fun walking around with a 3 meter cord in your pocket. Also, to really enjoy them I think you need to be pretty focused on the music, not something people do on the go.
i'm not saying their bad, on the contrary, these are in my opinion very unique sounding phones but for portable use you can get much better.
Any specific reason your bent on the K550 VS mad dogs?
- Mr speaker mad dogs vs k550 or other
- › Post pics of your builds.... 1 minute ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › HeadAmp Headphone Demos (Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Stax) -- sign up now 2 minutes ago
- › Importance of headphones, amp, dac, cable, music player, etc 3 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's musings: in the hi-fidelity, first... 4 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS H-200 - new triple hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 4 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new série Z 7 minutes ago
- › Fischer Audio FA-003Ti official announce. 10 minutes ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 11 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 11 minutes ago
- › Schiit Valhalla by Rem0o
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › audio-technica Premium Compact Inner Ear Headphones ATH-CKN70 Black... by a_recording
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe