or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 663

post #9931 of 17168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post

neutral neutral neutral flat flat flat flat, well many people don't like neutral or flat response signatures

A warm, wide, deep sound signature is preferred by many regular users that don't spend so much time analysing curves and frequencies

the 2.14b sound signature is dull and lacks impact and warmth 

When we say we like more flatter and/or neutral sound doesn't mean we don't like bass or warm sound. We are actually comparing to a reference soure that we know is how something should sound like. And that neutrality means that the DAP, in our case the X3, doesn't add "colour" to the sound that is outside of what was mixed and mastered on the audio source.

I personally like some bass in my sound but not overly so. And when I listen to my test tracks, one of them is a baritone acapella solo that if it was too warm, it would be very easily become muddy and even unpleasant to listen to.

With that said, you can always adjust the tone with either the hardware treble or bass adjustment or the upcoming soft EQ setting in the 2.14 (or the 2.14b). Sound and music is always subjective and everyone in one way or another has an opinion on it. Please don't take this the wrong way and think I'm saying you are wrong. Far from it. I agree that the 2.14b does take away the warmer sound that was in 2.1. It's a good thing and a bad, like you said it does flatten out a bit more then what you're used to. But on the flip side, doing so, it does bring it closer to a "studio mix" feel to the sonic signature. It's a double edge sword here and no one way is correct. There will always be multiple camps of thought on this.
post #9932 of 17168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiantHogweed View Post

Does anybody know if the next version of the FW for the X3 will let you play all your music on your micro SD card from A to Z without having to select and album each time? Also, whenever I finish an album, it loses where it was out of all my music and I have to find what album/artist comes after it. It is a shame that it will only play one album and not move on to the next. It doesn't look like there is an option to do that yet in the play mode. I know the I could create a play list of all my tracks in the order I wanted but then it would take ages to get to the middle of it it.

Apart from that and the background noise issue with Mp3s, I am very pleased with the X3. At least I know that the Mp3 problem may be getting sorted out in the next FW.

Don't think that is a popular request. If I understand what you are asking here, is that the X3 would need to read all the ID tags on all your files and assuming you did properly input the names of files and go by that alphabetical order? I think by default it reads the root file names and sort order by that in the browse menu. Other than that, it pretty much follows normal audio player convention and sort/search by album, artist, and genre. Don't think you will find too many people would want things to play at that kind of sorting order. I think most of us using the X3 sort our files with album folders. I have 1 card with my absolute favourites but that was done so that I am going to leave it on shuffle.
post #9933 of 17168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post

neutral neutral neutral flat flat flat flat, well many people don't like neutral or flat response signatures

A warm, wide, deep sound signature is preferred by many regular users that don't spend so much time analysing curves and frequencies

the 2.14b sound signature is dull and lacks impact and warmth 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkhand View Post

When we say we like more flatter and/or neutral sound doesn't mean we don't like bass or warm sound. We are actually comparing to a reference soure that we know is how something should sound like. And that neutrality means that the DAP, in our case the X3, doesn't add "colour" to the sound that is outside of what was mixed and mastered on the audio source.

I personally like some bass in my sound but not overly so. And when I listen to my test tracks, one of them is a baritone acapella solo that if it was too warm, it would be very easily become muddy and even unpleasant to listen to.

With that said, you can always adjust the tone with either the hardware treble or bass adjustment or the upcoming soft EQ setting in the 2.14 (or the 2.14b). Sound and music is always subjective and everyone in one way or another has an opinion on it. Please don't take this the wrong way and think I'm saying you are wrong. Far from it. I agree that the 2.14b does take away the warmer sound that was in 2.1. It's a good thing and a bad, like you said it does flatten out a bit more then what you're used to. But on the flip side, doing so, it does bring it closer to a "studio mix" feel to the sonic signature. It's a double edge sword here and no one way is correct. There will always be multiple camps of thought on this.

The way it should be is:
Neutral source - coloured headphones.

Let me explain you why:
Most people colour on white paper, which is neutral.
If you need something darker you can use a dark pencil (black, brown, grey, dark red)
If you need something lighter you use a light pencil (red, yellow, green)

If the standard was grey paper, you won't ever be able to get to white easily.

It's the same with audiisources and headphones.
post #9934 of 17168
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


The way it should be is:
Neutral source - coloured headphones.

Let me explain you why:
Most people colour on white paper, which is neutral.
If you need something darker you can use a dark pencil (black, brown, grey, dark red)
If you need something lighter you use a light pencil (red, yellow, green)

If the standard was grey paper, you won't ever be able to get to white easily.

It's the same with audiisources and headphones.

A better and simpler explanation than mine. Thank you.
post #9935 of 17168

double post


Edited by Sound Eq - 5/9/14 at 12:53am
post #9936 of 17168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post
 

well i guess this is a wrong approach for convincing people that you have to have different phones to enjoy different sound signatures from a player

 

I think the easier solution must come from the player, where it should then offer  users tto switch between sound signatures, as what you state above means that for different types of music we will need to use different headphones, and change gears.

 

this is too tiring and not user freindly

 

Simply then let those DAP companies offer a setting to choose from sound signatures than you convincing me that I should buy different headphones for different genera of music , as you know all of us in a way or another colour some music, and flat or neutral is boring to hell. So instead of putting a choice to chose from high or low gain only, also add a choice of different sound signatures ( warm, flat, etc ) especially that no DAP so far has a good EQ in place


Edited by Sound Eq - 5/9/14 at 12:52am
post #9937 of 17168
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post



The way it should be is:
Neutral source - coloured headphones.

Let me explain you why:
Most people colour on white paper, which is neutral.
If you need something darker you can use a dark pencil (black, brown, grey, dark red)
If you need something lighter you use a light pencil (red, yellow, green)

If the standard was grey paper, you won't ever be able to get to white easily.

It's the same with audiisources and headphones.


Totally agree with you - why are people looking to the dap when choosing something that fits their preferred frequency response and ignoring their headphones these days? It would only make sense if one were using neutral/flat headphones, but most people do not. I don't know that we really have a frame of reference for neutrality when it comes to daps (if there is, how many people actually use it?), so I think a lot of this is just perception/bias coming into play. In the case of firmware changes, something else to consider is brain burn-in; what initially may give a bad impression may change over time once a person gets used to it. I'd suggest having a little patience when a firmware is changed - it may grow on you.

post #9938 of 17168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post

well i guess this is a wrong approach for convincing people that you have to have different phones to enjoy different sound signatures from a player

I think the easier solution must come from the player, where it should then offer a steering that allow to switch between sound signatures, as what you state above means that for different types of music we will need to use different headphones, and change gears.

this is too tiring and not user freindly

Simply then let those DAP companies offer a setting to choose from sound signatures than you convincing me that I should buy different headphones for different genera of music , as you know all of us in a way or another colour some music, and flat is boring to hell. So instead of putting a choice to chose from high or low gain only, also add a choice of different sound signatures ( warm, flat, etc ) especially that no DAP so far has a good EQ in place

What do you think is the purpose of forums like head-fi?

If all your devices have another sound signature, you'd have to buy different headphones for each device.

So that would mean every time you upgrade your phone/dap, you need to get new headphones too.
post #9939 of 17168

I was curious and installed the 2.14b. I don't really use the audiophile terms... I just find the sound more refined, if I might say but less fun in my opinion :) I don't like the main menu at all, but I guess there will be more skins and modifications :) Cheers

post #9940 of 17168
@hykhleif In essence the new soft EQ does do that to an extent doesn't it?

Also, you do realize you are trying to convince the audiophile crowd that owns different cans for different music to not switch gears for different listening. If there is an uphill battle, you sure picked the tallest and steepest hill to fight on.
Edited by Dkhand - 5/9/14 at 1:02am
post #9941 of 17168

simply its easier to in my thinking that DAPS should have pre-sets with different signatures than me trying to carry with me different headphones to achieve sound signature in music I like 

 

I am tired of hearing ( WITH THIS PLAYER YOU NEED THESE HEAPHONES) 

 

Its not easy to carry around more than 1 headphone, its easier to switch between pre-sets that offer different sound signatures, especially its more related to software implementations 

 

as for EQs not even one DAP in the market has a real usable eq 

 

I think here we all should direct DAP companies to the direction we like and not the opposite way 


Edited by Sound Eq - 5/9/14 at 1:06am
post #9942 of 17168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post

simply its easier to in my thinking that DAPS should have pre-sets with different signatures than me trying to carry with me different headphones to achieve sound signature in music I like 

That's what equalisers are for, however, there are many headphones that sound great with a variety of music.
post #9943 of 17168
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


That's what equalisers are for, however, there are many headphones that sound great with a variety of music.

with all respect do u really consider those EQ in the DAP even EQs 

 

man those EQs are a gimmic 

post #9944 of 17168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post

with all respect do u really consider those EQ in the DAP even EQs 

man those EQs are a gimmic 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ can't please 'em all
post #9945 of 17168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post

simply its easier to in my thinking that DAPS should have pre-sets with different signatures than me trying to carry with me different headphones to achieve sound signature in music I like 

I am tired of hearing ( WITH THIS PLAYER YOU NEED THESE HEAPHONES) 

Its not easy to carry around more than 1 headphone, its easier to switch between pre-sets that offer different sound signatures, especially its more related to software implementations 

as for EQs not even one DAP in the market has a real usable eq 

No one expect you to carry your whole rack of headphones when you are out and about. There are headphones that fits 90% of your or my needs. But sometimes, like CH23 said earlier, colored players don't pleases a lot people because the if say you have a dark grey paper and you using a dark grey pencil on it you can't see a thing and it would be like rolling in the mid. In audio, everything starts from the source and the player that plays them. If the player "contaminates" the source by over adding "colour" to it, it would be a bad player because it's impeding the source material.
Edited by Dkhand - 5/9/14 at 1:13am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.