or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 658

post #9856 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post

Does it work as a DAC or work in the way that you can play files from your phone on then x3 and browsing the phones music library or both?

Edit: Since you say with uapp I'll assume you mean as a DAC.

 

Most likely he meant as a DAC.

post #9857 of 17125
Yeah I understood that the second I posted wink.gif
post #9858 of 17125

yes the x3 works as a dac using only uapp on the z,the z can play natively using other dacs,not much use at the moment really although uapp is a great sounding app.

post #9859 of 17125

Ive now got my iphone 4s working with a belkin usb hub!and Spotify works!!

The only bad thing is that the cck connector ais a bad fit.

Bingo!!A Fiio and Apple collaboration:beerchug:


Edited by cattlethief - 5/6/14 at 4:07pm
post #9860 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatheis View Post


Don't regret it at all. X5 is more neutral and revealing. As @chengsta points out, the X5 does have less bass than the X3. BUT that doesn't mean the X5's bass is inferior. In fact, the X5 has cleaner, punchier, tighter bass - just not as much.

 

Well, I started the x5 on the wrong foot:  fw 2.0.  I should've listened to 1.23 first because I'm liking that alot more.  x5 fw 2.0 sounds a bit hollow, especially in the bass area while x5 fw 1.23 sounds exactly like the x3(fw 2.14b)  except wayy more crisp and detailed.

 

so basically x5 on fw 1.23 is a super detailed and slightly more clean sounding version of x3.  Now I can say for a fact that x5 is superior to x3 in every way, I firmly believe that I have found what I have been searching for in a portable dap in the x5.

post #9861 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatucho View Post

I got a similar problem. I believe that it is related with the player freezing instead of turning off.

I found that playing shufle the x3 will freeze 60% of the time when a track finished, this occurs whether gapless is activated or not.  Sometimes I was under the impression that the auto-shutoff had been activated, instead the player was stuck.

Just make sure the player is really off. However, even if it is really off I believe that the battery drains over time faster than with 2.1 when turned off. However, I havent made any measurements in this regard, the battery indicator is not very precise. The x3 is missing a numerical value of the battery charge in the player info tab.

i thought I was the only one having these problem....gapless is not activated and when switching off ...i actually see the logo ( See You) to make sure it is properly off. Battery level is actually depleting too fast whereas before I used to get 4 to 5 days without charging but now it can only play like max 20 minute.
post #9862 of 17125

The assumption here seems to be OTG = DAC mode, actually that's incorrect and what causing a lot of confusion during discussion.

 

OTG  = ability to host USB stoage on the micro USB port.

 

DAC mode = ability to act as an USB DAC for an another {host) device.

 

They are not the same function. OTG depends on the coding inside X3 / X5 to recognize and read the USB storage connect to its micro USB port, while DAC mode depends on whatever the device you want to connect the X3 / X5 to can detect X3 / X5 as a USB DAC or not.

post #9863 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


I have a cable that has one female USB port, and 2 male connection, on one of these, it can only send data, so no power, and even when i connect the X5 through this to my iPhone ( iphone 5 > camera connector > usb split data cable > usb to mini usb cable > X5 (sorry, no X3)
X5 goes into DAC mode for a moment, but then the iphone says it draws too much power (which is false, as it gets powered externally)

EDIT: i have done this in the past with the X3, and got the same result.

A fully conformant USB client informs the host how much power it will draw when it first connects. Adding a cable in won't affect that negotiation no matter how much power it supplies, whereas adding in a powered USB hub will affect it. This suggests to me that the X3 is "stating" it's power requirements too high for the iphone even if it isn't drawing any power. It isn't unusual for a device to give itself a lot of headroom by making this value higher than is strictly necessary. USB keyboards with hubs built-in, for example, will do this to allow for further devices to be plugged in, even though the keyboard itself doesn't require much.

post #9864 of 17125

Just installed the 2.14b and, man, does it work fast. There's an occasional hiccup or two, but overall everything is just lightning quick, especially after 2.05, it's like it reads my mind and plays the track before i even hit play. The sound is amazing too, i'm not exactly sure what's changed, but i'm finally getting a full kick out of my vsonics gr07. If they iron out the rest of the bugs, the release build will be just bliss for me.

post #9865 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
 

The assumption here seems to be OTG = DAC mode, actually that's incorrect and what causing a lot of confusion during discussion.

 

OTG  = ability to host USB stoage on the micro USB port.

 

DAC mode = ability to act as an USB DAC for an another {host) device.

 

They are not the same function. OTG depends on the coding inside X3 / X5 to recognize and read the USB storage connect to its micro USB port, while DAC mode depends on whatever the device you want to connect the X3 / X5 to can detect X3 / X5 as a USB DAC or not.

This wasnt the assumption,someone asked if they could use the x3 as a dac for there ios device so they could stream from there NAS in the same way you connect the Fiio e7,you can! but only if you connect via a usb hub which tricks the DAC and overides the power issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post


The X3 did not have any DAC capability when it was released, ability to decode from a PC and Mac were added in firmware version 2.05 via some clever hacks. I don't think any further hacks can be made to allow the X3 to decode from a smartphone OTG, though you are certainly welcome to try if it works with current firmware.
It can be used as a dac with android smartphone using otg cable and UAPP.
 
Although it would be great to have Fiio implement the OTG function in the x3,I cant see it!
post #9866 of 17125

2.1 works so good to me. Never got any freezes nor any kind of problems. Gapless is flawless :) I am very curious about the updated sound but will wait until stable version. Hey guys, tell me do you find any changes in the battery life in the betas?

post #9867 of 17125
For those x3 and dx50 owners, headphone out only, which now has the better sound to you?
post #9868 of 17125

I did have that issue. It only happened once, so I think I may have forgotten to turn it off.

post #9869 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattlethief View Post
 

This wasnt the assumption...

 

If you read back, there is a lot of comment that intermix the term 'OTG' with USB DAC function. Just saying.

post #9870 of 17125
redface.gif
Edited by Joe Bloggs - 5/7/14 at 6:18am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.