Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 619

post #9271 of 14242
Even if it has OTG function, 2TB HDD will drain x3's battery in no time!
post #9272 of 14242
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsamod View Post

Even if it has OTG function, 2TB HDD will drain x3's battery in no time!


Yes, this is a 2.5" 2TB  9.5mm high only just came out, well I may try a player that does support OTG and then use an external power supply too.

post #9273 of 14242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixsta View Post


Yes, this is a 2.5" 2TB  9.5mm high only just came out, well I may try a player that does support OTG and then use an external power supply too.

If you were planning on updating the library with the 2TB HDD attached, i don't think the X3 could manage that much data.
post #9274 of 14242
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


If you were planning on updating the library with the 2TB HDD attached, i don't think the X3 could manage that much data.

I don't think even the X5 can either; especially if you are talking full 24/196 flac files.  Even if it does, it might take all day.  With the battery life of both X3 and X5 is only roughly 10 hours (theoretically), if you try to attach a HDD to it (HDD or SSD),  you might be left with a 2 hr or less battery life.  Why go though that kind of trouble for a portable player that is meant to be mobile instead of a big honking brick of a thing.  If you carry a X5 + HDD + Enclosure + Battery + if you add an external amp with it + whatever you need to do to connect it all, do you really want a 2.5-3 lb unit in your jacket or pants pocket? 


Edited by Dkhand - 4/16/14 at 9:09am
post #9275 of 14242

:) I see your point, however as I will no longer own a laptop or PC soon, personal Choice I would still like to be able to play the thousands of songs I have on this external drive. It seems the only other possibility would be to get a tablet. 
my criteria are it must be light, at-least lighter than a laptop and smaller, and I must be able to play all the music on the hard drive.

Looks like my solution would be tablet or some kind of android device.

Ive actualy had another option which is to create my own player using something like the beaglebone happy days! lol


Thanks for your help :)


Edited by Rixsta - 4/16/14 at 10:14am
post #9276 of 14242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixsta View Post
 

:) I see your point, however as I will no longer own a laptop or PC soon, personal Choice I would still like to be able to play the thousands of songs I have on this external drive. It seems the only other possibility would be to get a tablet. 
my criteria are it must be light, at-least lighter than a laptop and smaller, and I must be able to play all the music on the hard drive.

Looks like my solution would be tablet or some kind of android device.

Ive actualy had another option which is to create my own player using something like the beaglebone happy days! lol


Thanks for your help :)

This might be interesting for you:

 

http://volumio.org

 

It's basically all the software you need to convert a beaglebone, raspberry pi, or similar device into an "audiophile" music player (their words). I tried it briefly but not for long enough to really form an opinion, so if you try it, I'd be interested in how you get on.

post #9277 of 14242
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw321 View Post
 

This might be interesting for you:

 

http://volumio.org

 

It's basically all the software you need to convert a beaglebone, raspberry pi, or similar device into an "audiophile" music player (their words). I tried it briefly but not for long enough to really form an opinion, so if you try it, I'd be interested in how you get on.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?104152-Raspberry-Pi-Revison-2-and-the-Wolfson-Audio-Card

 

Might be of interest, but it could be better for you to create a new thread, perhaps in computer audio as we are now going ot!

post #9278 of 14242

Hi guys.  I'm a new member.  I bought a FiiO X3 in February because I was curious about the HD stuff on HD Tracks, but even more curious about doing rips from my vinyl in 96/24.  So that's been great, and I've been listening to those rips with Grado SR 80i.  Tonight I discovered I can record in 192kHz/24bit.

It's a whole new world.

For the past few years I've been listening to cassettes from vinyl recorded with a fair turntable and amp, and a very nice Nakamichi.  I thought that was the be-all end-all.  I did a compare-and-contrast of 96/24 to a cassette, and it was VERY close, but the X3 won.  Vocals, particularly "s" sounds, were much clearer on the X3.  I may like the bass better on cassettes, but maybe I haven't tweaked the bass settings enough on the X3.

I'm guessing 192kHz/24bit will make me put away my cassettes.

post #9279 of 14242
You might want to give this a read before you chew up all your storage space with 24/192...

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
post #9280 of 14242

Is there a way to phyiscally disable the jack detection? The V-moda M100's have a TRRS cable and the X3 turns off whenever it's loose.

post #9281 of 14242
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

You might want to give this a read before you chew up all your storage space with 24/192...

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I'm familiar with this article but If I'm not mistaken it neglects to mention that optimal sampling rate is around 60khz so while 192khz may be an overkill and a waste of storage space until someone will come out with 60khz sampling audio format when given a choice I will stick to 96khz audio ;)

post #9282 of 14242

I was hoping I'd get to try out the new X3 Firmware, but the X5 is already here and I guess I'll have to sell before I get to try. Bummer.

post #9283 of 14242
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

I was hoping I'd get to try out the new X3 Firmware, but the X5 is already here and I guess I'll have to sell before I get to try. Bummer.

Same here. From tomorrow on i'll be X3-less, so i won't be able to help people with the new firmware (unless FiiO releases a new version of the firmware virtualisation tool)
post #9284 of 14242
I am thinking of modding my x3 amp chip ...but waiting the new firmware first biggrin.gif
post #9285 of 14242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmet View Post

I am thinking of modding my x3 amp chip ...but waiting the new firmware first biggrin.gif
I sent a couple of AD8620 opamps to a Head-Fi'er in the Philippines for his X3. He loves the clarity and detail that the AD8620 provides over stock, on par with the AK100 possibly. wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.