Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 557

post #8341 of 11367

Could someone explain me why the "high gain" (+6db) setting should sound better? As so many people report this, I assume it's not due to subjective favoritism of the increased volume...

 

Or in other words: What's the difference between setting the X3 to low gain (+0db) and the volume to a pleasant value and setting the X3 to high gain (+6db) and lower the volume accordingly so that the output is at the same loudness level in the end?

post #8342 of 11367
It is a shame about the R3's design. The memory wire is plain awkward to use and the housing isn't the prettiest.
post #8343 of 11367
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post
 

Those who never tried out the free R3 with the X3 really missed out. On high gain, with treble +2 and bass -2, they sound sublime. It's a real shame that the design damned them to be the ugly duckling in the Brainwavz line-up.

 

Yeah the stupid design just gets in the way of me even opening the box lol

post #8344 of 11367

The wire may be annoying, but the actual fit in the ear is very comfortable.

post #8345 of 11367
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post
 

The wire may be annoying, but the actual fit in the ear is very comfortable.

 

Ah cool, so I might just open them and keep them to myself instead of selling.

 

I was gonna get the Pistons from the cash that I would get for the R3's.

 

Btw, anyone that is using High Gain... have you noticed that the battery is draining faster?


Edited by Lifted Andreas - 1/30/14 at 9:07am
post #8346 of 11367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted Andreas View Post

Ah cool, so I might just open them and keep them to myself instead of selling.

I was gonna get the Pistons from the cash that I would get for the R3's.

Btw, anyone that is using High Gain... have you noticed that the battery is draining faster?
Yes do experience the same issue as you. The battery seems to be draining faster and unit is hotter with high gain.
post #8347 of 11367
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaddictionx View Post


Yes do experience the same issue as you. The battery seems to be draining faster and unit is hotter with high gain.

 

Yeah, which I guess is pretty normal.

 

Especially considering the amp is working overtime lol

post #8348 of 11367
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaddictionx View Post


Yes do experience the same issue as you. The battery seems to be draining faster and unit is hotter with high gain.

I think it's a normal condition since the X3 outputs higher voltage with high gain.

post #8349 of 11367
Quote:
Originally Posted by z7nz View Post
 

I think it's a normal condition since the X3 outputs higher voltage with high gain.


This is correct and is quite normal for all electronics.  The higer the gain, the more current will be drawn, thus the battery will deplete faster and the X3 will get warmer as more energy is dissipated as heat.

post #8350 of 11367

This

 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-8-8-SD-Aluminum-Memory-MicroSD-Card-Holder-Case-/181027348632?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a26122098

 

fits in a Nintendo DS hard case with X3, card reader and cables, which fits in headphone carry case with phones.

Sure beats carrying 3000 albums around:happy_face1:.

 

Ah, technology.

And he shall have music wherever he goes.

 

(BTW, I don't actually have 3000 albums... )


Edited by jimmers - 1/30/14 at 2:08pm
post #8351 of 11367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted Andreas View Post

Yeah the stupid design just gets in the way of me even opening the box lol

Mine just wont seal in my ears, no matter what. Even the extra flanged version. Not a good design, though when I push them in my ears and leave my fingers there, they sound pretty good tongue.gif
post #8352 of 11367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhabba View Post
 

Could someone explain me why the "high gain" (+6db) setting should sound better? As so many people report this, I assume it's not due to subjective favoritism of the increased volume...

 

Or in other words: What's the difference between setting the X3 to low gain (+0db) and the volume to a pleasant value and setting the X3 to high gain (+6db) and lower the volume accordingly so that the output is at the same loudness level in the end?

When I compare gain I will lower the volume for high gain to adjust the same level.

Yesterday after read your post, I compare again. Result is the same, I hear the better image, details, and separation on instrument with high gain.

 

Sorry that I cannot answer your question, I really don't know why I feel it sound better  :)

post #8353 of 11367

Happy New Year!

To all our friends on the Fiio team.

post #8354 of 11367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff Jones View Post
 

Any plans for a firmware update to fix the sluggishness of track navigation? Skipping between tracks is really slow and innacurate. Sometimes you press and it doesn't respond and then your press again and it skips too tracks. Also, occasionally it shows one track and plays another. This is all in browser mode. Also, play all is impossibly slow. I never use it to randomly play all my tracks because of how slow it is. 

 

Anybody else getting frustrated by the track skipping glitchiness? Is this a function of a slow processor; is it something firmware can correct?

post #8355 of 11367

I know that considering the price, this is a good DAP, but I've been reading some negative feedback about it. Is it worth it? Or some of the negative feedback is more subjective than objective(not a bad thing, everyone has their own preferences).

 

In conclusion, as a starting gear I should say, considering I'm switching from an iPhone is the best for the job? Are there other starter products you recommend?

 

Kind regards.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.