Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 474

post #7096 of 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy View Post


Im not sure if anyone asked you but can you pull out the loaded SD card and play or load it into another DAP?

Good idea.

 

I put the card in my clip and everything is showing up where it should be. Songs are displayed under albums and albums are displayed under artists, etc.

 

 

Anyone have any ideas?

post #7097 of 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skolar311 View Post
 

 

Not sure about the E11, but my E12 brings our insane detail and volume when connecting to the LO. Way beyond listening levels if the E12 is set on "high gain".

 

To my understanding, the X3's headphone-out should provide just as much power as the E11 and perhaps a bit more. You'd be better getting the E12 with use of the LO. Regardless of power requirements, however, using the LO should always provide a slightly better experience. Granted, you lose all EQ ability.

 

E11 = Voltage on high is 300mW(16Ω), 200mW(32Ω), and 35mW(300Ω).

X3 = Voltage on high is 540mW(16Ω), 270mW(32Ω), and 30mW(300Ω).

 

E12 = Voltage on high is 880mW(16Ω), 600mW(32Ω), and 160mW(300Ω).

Thanks for validating what I think I heard.

post #7098 of 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthesauce View Post
 

Thanks for validating what I think I heard.


Hi,

 

I found this topic interesting.  I have an X3, but as good as it is, to me it lacks authority in the SQ department, especially at lower volumes.  I have thought about using an external amp; I have an E07k, but feel this would not improve things.

 

Is it possible you could describe more your thoughts on where the E12 improves the X3 experience.  It may be that an E12 could help me to really enjoy my X3 more fully.

 

Thanks :-)

post #7099 of 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyOne View Post
 


FiiO also advise against the scan and fix.  When you scan and fix a drive, you are changing the filesystem parameters slightly in favour of device you scan it on.  This means it is no longer entirely 'correct' for the previous device (X3).   I also, would recommend against scan and fix.  It seems that implementation of filesystem standards is inconsistent between manufacturers; I have a similar issue with a WDTV live box.

 

Not scanning and fixing won't do any harm.

 

That is not really comforting.

 

I don't agree with you last sentence - it can do harm.

Woking on an not entirely compatible (X3 vs Windows) and "dirty" filesystem can cause a lot of problems: crosslinked, corrupted, unreadable files, lost blocks etc.

 

And what if I somehow corrupt or destroy the filesystem on the internal flash? I think the internal format of the X3 is for formatting the SD/TF card only. How do I format it correctly?

If I format it using Windows, it is the same as running chkdsk on it.

post #7100 of 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTest View Post
 

 

That is not really comforting.

 

I don't agree with you last sentence - it can do harm.

Woking on an not entirely compatible (X3 vs Windows) and "dirty" filesystem can cause a lot of problems: crosslinked, corrupted, unreadable files, lost blocks etc.

 

And what if I somehow corrupt or destroy the filesystem on the internal flash? I think the internal format of the X3 is for formatting the SD/TF card only. How do I format it correctly?

If I format it using Windows, it is the same as running chkdsk on it.


I understand your concerns, and you are right, of course; there is the potential for problems.  However, in my experience, it is unlikely to be a problem.  I have been experiencing this issue for some years, without incident, on numerous devices, which is why I am happy to ignore the scan and fix notification.  I sincerely doubt you would cause any significan damage, if any at all.  This is what my own experience tells me.

 

As I said earlier, it is about how different manufacturers implement the FS standard.  Clearly, it is not so standard.  It would be far more comforting to us all if manufacturers would implement FS standards fully and correctly.

 

I agree with you, it can be disconcreting.   It is a problem, for which there is no immediate solution.  FiiO could fix this in FW if they wanted to.

 

I suppose, the best thing is to do whatever you are most comfortable with.   I doubt it will lead to problems either way.

 

It's annoying, maybe FiiO are reading this.

post #7101 of 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyOne View Post
 


I understand your concerns, and you are right, of course; there is the potential for problems.  However, in my experience, it is unlikely to be a problem.  I have been experiencing this issue for some years, without incident, on numerous devices, which is why I am happy to ignore the scan and fix notification.  I sincerely doubt you would cause any significan damage, if any at all.  This is what my own experience tells me.

 

As I said earlier, it is about how different manufacturers implement the FS standard.  Clearly, it is not so standard.  It would be far more comforting to us all if manufacturers would implement FS standards fully and correctly.

 

I agree with you, it can be disconcreting.   It is a problem, for which there is no immediate solution.  FiiO could fix this in FW if they wanted to.

 

I suppose, the best thing is to do whatever you are most comfortable with.   I doubt it will lead to problems either way.

 

It's annoying, maybe FiiO are reading this.

 

The first thing I did after receiving (and fully charging) my X3, was copying the full content of the internal flash to the PC and then running chkdsk /f - it found a lot lost chains. After fixing, I've looked into the lost chains and they seem to be empty.

 

Some time ago I had hard time rescuing some recordings from a corrupted filesystem in a DAP (with recording capability). From this time I'm very alert concerning "dirty" filesystems.

post #7102 of 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyOne View Post
 


Hi,

 

I found this topic interesting.  I have an X3, but as good as it is, to me it lacks authority in the SQ department, especially at lower volumes.  I have thought about using an external amp; I have an E07k, but feel this would not improve things.

 

Is it possible you could describe more your thoughts on where the E12 improves the X3 experience.  It may be that an E12 could help me to really enjoy my X3 more fully.

 

Thanks :-)

I am a n00b so will not embarrass myself trying to describe "better".  I had also noticed that my lowly E11 was much louder (i.e. the volume knob wasn't turned up as loud) than when I have it attached via LO to my Ipod Touch or HO of my Note II.

 

I can say that the bass is tighter and soundstage is wider; perhaps there's a bit more definition to the treble (I like the Shure/Audio Technica sound so the big fat mid-range does it for me).  I was testing between the HO of the X3 and the jack of the E11 (as long as you do the testing on the E11 first you can immediately unplug the headphones and move them up into the HO of the X3 without having any pause to the music) and was actually shocked that the lesser powered E11 sounded better than the HO of the X3.

 

In regards to your question with the E07k, I had one but it's pulling soundcard duty on my daughter's desktop.  Best I can suggest is to simply hook it up and see if you like the combo.  I have my E11 connected to the X3 using a Velco strip that came in an AT microphone for cable management.  Works well.

post #7103 of 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTest View Post
 

 

The first thing I did after receiving (and fully charging) my X3, was copying the full content of the internal flash to the PC and then running chkdsk /f - it found a lot lost chains. After fixing, I've looked into the lost chains and they seem to be empty.

 

Some time ago I had hard time rescuing some recordings from a corrupted filesystem in a DAP (with recording capability). From this time I'm very alert concerning "dirty" filesystems.


I will try running chkdsk on my X3 internal flash and see what I get, just out of curiosity.  I suspect I will find empty lost chains, as I believe this is a symptom of the inconsistency in the implementation of the FAT32 FS.

 

Hopefully FiiO are on to this.  If Sansidk can do it correctly with the Clip+, I see no good reason for FiiO not implementing it properly.

post #7104 of 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthesauce View Post
 

I am a n00b so will not embarrass myself trying to describe "better".  I had also noticed that my lowly E11 was much louder (i.e. the volume knob wasn't turned up as loud) than when I have it attached via LO to my Ipod Touch or HO of my Note II.

 

I can say that the bass is tighter and soundstage is wider; perhaps there's a bit more definition to the treble (I like the Shure/Audio Technica sound so the big fat mid-range does it for me).  I was testing between the HO of the X3 and the jack of the E11 (as long as you do the testing on the E11 first you can immediately unplug the headphones and move them up into the HO of the X3 without having any pause to the music) and was actually shocked that the lesser powered E11 sounded better than the HO of the X3.

 

In regards to your question with the E07k, I had one but it's pulling soundcard duty on my daughter's desktop.  Best I can suggest is to simply hook it up and see if you like the combo.  I have my E11 connected to the X3 using a Velco strip that came in an AT microphone for cable management.  Works well.


Thanks for the reply :-)

 

Being a bit of a noob myself wrt portabIe music, I will try the E07k, just out of curiosity.  I am considering the E12, since the X3 amp section is somewhat better then the E07K as it is.  I will ignore any general loudness difference.  What I am interested in is gaining more authority in the lower frequencies, without having the music loud, and without using EQ adjustments.

 

In your case, I suspect that the increase in loudness you are experiencing, is due to the large difference in Line Out voltages between the X3 and Apple devices.  Apple device are known to have Line Out voltages considerably lower than the 'standard', which is about 2 volts.  This has been discussed elsewhere on head-fi, by people connecting X3 to car audio devices etc.  It would seem that, since the emergence of Apple DAP.s etc. may manufacturers of car audio products have implemented an 'Apple compliant' Line In, rather that stick to the proper standards.  This will explain differences in loudness between devices connected to your E11 Line In.

 

The velcro strip is a good idea :-)

 

Cheers.

 

 

post #7105 of 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkyOne View Post


I will try running chkdsk on my X3 internal flash and see what I get, just out of curiosity.  I suspect I will find empty lost chains, as I believe this is a symptom of the inconsistency in the implementation of the FAT32 FS.

Hopefully FiiO are on to this.  If Sansidk can do it correctly with the Clip+, I see no good reason for FiiO not implementing it properly.

Well Sandisk is only the company that lays down the filesystem on like 50% of all the SD cards out there before shipping them out... tongue.gif
post #7106 of 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painful Chafe View Post


I'm not sure how to check that. Remember I'm the guy that if it is computer related and you don't spell it out in crayons, I won't get it.

That being said, even the pre loaded music is doing the same thing. It doesn't show up in the "album" when I open it.

Anyone have any advise?

Hello,

Could you try deleting the media database file on the X3 as per
http://www.fiio.com.cn/support/detail.aspx?ID=100000037065714
and run a media lib update again?
post #7107 of 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersys View Post
 

The OGG issue is not fixed and is low priority.

The MP3 issue is been actively worked on but not resolved as of  F/W 2.1


Yeah, I've been having a lengthy series of exchanges with FiiO customer service over the past week about the OGG issue, and I can confirm that the fix is low priority.  I would not expect it to happen before the release of the X5, and it's unclear how long after that it will happen. 

 

I'm going to have to seek out a different PMP, given that 80% of the music that I want to listen to on it is in OGG.  Stinks because the FiiO sounds much better than my Sansa players (Clip+ and Fuze), but oh well.  The iBasso doesn't appeal to me because it has its own problems.  Maybe I'll have to go with a Cowon, though the reviews don't seem to indicate that Cowon sounds much better than Sansa (I don't like to fiddle with EQ). 

post #7108 of 9284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post


Well Sandisk is only the company that lays down the filesystem on like 50% of all the SD cards out there before shipping them out... tongue.gif


That may well be so, no company is perfect, after all.  Is it likely that we will get a fix for this problem?  I am not particularly worried about very minor FS issues, but some here are.  For me, it's annoying to have to deal with it every time we connect our X3s.   :L3000:

post #7109 of 9284
I love the clairity and everything on the X3, but adding a parametric EQ is essential to me. The sound is often really Harsh when combined with my momentums. Will it be added some time in the future or what have been said about this? I beg you Fiio this is SO important to me aswell as many other listeners
post #7110 of 9284

As much as it sucks for me personally that I'm going to have to go with a different player because of the OGG issues, I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with the way the X3 conveys dynamics and space in the music.  I feel like my Sansa players are quite slow and congested in comparison, making them sound more dull.  I really want something better than the Sansa's now that I've heard the differences!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.