Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 424

post #6346 of 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

How many of you guys are interested in the X5? wink_face.gif
Count me in Panda Sama!
beerchug.gif
post #6347 of 12952
I'm in too.

Australia represent!
post #6348 of 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

How many of you guys are interested in the X5? :wink_face:

 

It is for free. I am interested.

post #6349 of 12952
microSD to SD card adapter for 128GB SD CARD...
I've made it by my hands. =)
I'm going to test 128GB SD memory at next monday. (currently, 64GB SD installed)






post #6350 of 12952
Awesome! Did you made the metal support? I was thinking about buying a 128gb myself, waiting for more confirmations that it works and my paycheck wink.gif
post #6351 of 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by binc View Post

Awesome! Did you made the metal support? I was thinking about buying a 128gb myself, waiting for more confirmations that it works and my paycheck wink.gif

I've ordered 128gb sd card at today.
It will be receive at monday.
I'll let you know about test result.
And, all metal works made by myself. =)
post #6352 of 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by buruma View Post


I've ordered 128gb sd card at today.
It will be receive at monday.
I'll let you know about test result.
And, all metal works made by myself. =)


Is there a way to double-stack cards?  Any chance of electronically having two 128GB cards talking simultaneously through the microSD port for a 256GB player? 

post #6353 of 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman7 View Post


Is there a way to double-stack cards?  Any chance of electronically having two 128GB cards talking simultaneously through the microSD port for a 256GB player? 


I can not find such product..
If you need more storage, iBasso DX50 is best solution. It support OTG connection..
post #6354 of 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw321 View Post
 

Before anyone takes me too seriously I should state up front that I am not an expert. You have been warned! But, as I understand things, this is not really a floating point versus integer problem since the relative accuracy is preserved in integers in audio work by using logarithms (which is, in essence, how floating point works anyway). The actual problem is that 32 bit floating point has 24 bits in it's mantissa (or significand which means pretty much what it sounds like) so you need to use at least 24 bits in your integer if you decode as an integer.

 

So providing you are using logs (which I would be amazed if you aren't, but this is where my lack of expertise could catch me out) you just need a few more bits in your integer (probably 32 as 24 bits isn't normally supported directly by compilers). This may be important if floating point formats require a lot more CPU (and therefore battery) power to manipulate on the X3. If that is the case, then I'd rather have 32 bit integer decoding than 32 bit floating point.

 

Other than my pedantic mathematical side coming out :wink_face:, I really enjoyed the article. Oh, and the minor Apple bashing - XLD using true variable bit-rate is highly recommended by me (not an expert, remember) for Mac users.

 

It´s good that your pedantic mathematical side is coming out, my boyfriend is a mathematician so I know how benefitial it can be.

 

I´m not using logs, the programs I use don´t allow them. I´d even wonder if MP3 or AAC support them natively. WavPack does, it´s able to calculate the average distribution of quantization noise and it´s able to show you the actual bits per sample. But according to David (WavPack's developer) that doesn´t work very well with floating point.

 

I´ve read about certain floating point decoders for MP3 ready to be used in an ARM based CPU. The information regarding CPU ressources is difficult; some say floating point decoding of MP3 is faster, some say it isn´t. Just like you, I´d go for integer decoding myself. 24 bit would surely be enough. It´s one thing to gain 32 bit floating point or integer on a PC where it would really matter, another thing is a portable player where it wouldn´t IMO. So 24 bit decoding for MP3 & Co. would surely be enough.

post #6355 of 12952

I phrased that badly! I didn't really mean that you (Marlene) was using logs, I meant the codec. So, I'm expecting that the integers coming out of the decoding process represent log(amplitude) rather than amplitude directly. The relative speed of 16 bit vs 32 bit integer and 32 bit floating point will depend very much on the device you are running on. If there is no native floating point support, then floating point will be much slower. In the case of the two sizes of integer, then it depends on whether you have a 32 bit or 16 bit device (unsurpisingly!). I don't know enough about the X3 hardware to be certain what applies here.

 

The main reason I decided to share my mathematical pedantry was I didn't want people to assume the worse if it turns out floating point decoding wasn't possible on the X3. A good 32 bit integer decoder could be just as good (if done right etc.).

post #6356 of 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by buruma View Post

microSD to SD card adapter for 128GB SD CARD...
I've made it by my hands. =)
I'm going to test 128GB SD memory at next monday. (currently, 64GB SD installed)

 

64GB is 'officially supported by the spec' but we will be VERY interested in seeing if 128GB works with the adapter.

:D

 

Wow, lots of people here are interested in the X5.

 

It's very funny how people automatically associated the X5 with me :tongue: I was only GENERALLY asking about interest here and then BOOM. I guess X5=Panda now? :blink:

 

Comparison reviews will be written and published in late December to Early January featuring 

FiiO X3 v FiiO X5, Astell and Kern AK 120, Colorfly C4 Pro :)

 

Gonna see if Hifiman and or iBasso will be on board for a mega DAP review/comparison. :bigsmile_face:

post #6357 of 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonsocm View Post
 

 

It is for free. I am interested.

Ditto

post #6358 of 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
 

I´ve written an article about decoding lossy codecs to elaborate on what I´ve already written here in response to the decoding problems of the X3. It bugged me that my arguments in this thread weren´t very... erm, cohesive so I tried to rectify it with my article, an article I wanted to write for quite some time (long before the X3).

 

I´ve also described what to avoid with lossy codecs, how to create the best MP3, WMA and AAC files ever... in short, it´s a long article. May you read it or not :D

 

"MP3 and other HiRes formats"

 

Enjoy!

 

P.S.: not interested in the X5 ;)


We should probably move this to another thread as it is off topic...

 

Liked the article. I also use dbpoweramp but I use ABR at 320kbps (q0) since it can then use higher bitrates if the source demands.

How do you feel the two modes compare?

post #6359 of 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw321 View Post
 

I phrased that badly! I didn't really mean that you (Marlene) was using logs, I meant the codec. So, I'm expecting that the integers coming out of the decoding process represent log(amplitude) rather than amplitude directly. The relative speed of 16 bit vs 32 bit integer and 32 bit floating point will depend very much on the device you are running on. If there is no native floating point support, then floating point will be much slower. In the case of the two sizes of integer, then it depends on whether you have a 32 bit or 16 bit device (unsurpisingly!). I don't know enough about the X3 hardware to be certain what applies here.

 

The main reason I decided to share my mathematical pedantry was I didn't want people to assume the worse if it turns out floating point decoding wasn't possible on the X3. A good 32 bit integer decoder could be just as good (if done right etc.).

 

Yes, integer would be wonderful - as long as they´re able to give out more than 16 bit. I´d be very, very happy with 24 bit, even undithered.

 

But now that you´ve mentioned it... some weeks ago I ran across the ARM CPU used in the X3, it´s the Ingenic JZ4760B. According to Wikipedia, it does have a seperate floating point unit. But I don´t know if it´s actually in use... though I assume it is. Hell, it´s even a IEEE754-compliant FPU.

 

Here´s the companies info site (data sheets are at the foot): http://www.ingenic.cn/en/en/proinfo.php?id=12&pid=782&fid=782


Edited by Marlene - 11/15/13 at 6:13pm
post #6360 of 12952
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbradley02 View Post
 


We should probably move this to another thread as it is off topic...

 

Liked the article. I also use dbpoweramp but I use ABR at 320kbps (q0) since it can then use higher bitrates if the source demands.

How do you feel the two modes compare?

 

Yeah, we should move it somewhere else. Sorry for that...

 

I don´t use ABR; some devices I used / reviewed in the past weren´t able to handle them. And THAT didn´t sound pretty :D 


Edited by Marlene - 11/15/13 at 9:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.