Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 406

post #6076 of 12975

i use X3 with beyer dt880 having 250ohm, it's a great combination, i've already written about it here or in another topic. And i also wrote about the fact that for some reason the sound is better when X3 is usb dac than when it's standalone dap. The reason could be: foobar/wasapi/eq settings or more power delivered by usb or placebo or all :) i (think i) get better bass and separation, fuller sound. Probably as dap, X3 reaches its limits by trying to drive 250 ohms headphone.

post #6077 of 12975
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw321 View Post


Just a thought, how many channels do the files have? I believe DVD-A supports much more than just stereo, but I'm pretty sure that the X3 won't know what to do with more than 2 channels.

yes, most DVD audio is multi channels which is not supported by X3.

post #6078 of 12975
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightBlue77 View Post
 

i use X3 with beyer dt880 having 250ohm, it's a great combination, i've already written about it here or in another topic. And i also wrote about the fact that for some reason the sound is better when X3 is usb dac than when it's standalone dap. The reason could be: foobar/wasapi/eq settings or more power delivered by usb or placebo or all :) i (think i) get better bass and separation, fuller sound. Probably as dap, X3 reaches its limits by trying to drive 250 ohms headphone.

I have the same experience as well, coming from a Fiio E10 powering those headphones, I notice more resolution now with the X3 in USB DAC mode. The instruments and vocals seems to have their own space, their own defined spectrum as I would say it, I can easily tell what instrument is going off where and when.

Honestly I don't really think this is some placebo, but I haven't tried using my E10 once again to see if there was a discernible difference.

I'm really glad that I got this device, now I have a DAP and a capable DAC for my music nirvana.

post #6079 of 12975

I received my X3 yesterday! I haven't spent much time with it yet but I did put the same album on it in Apple Lossless (m4a) and FLAC formats. Gapless playback does not work for Apple Lossless but does for FLAC in Category>Album mode (yes I turned on gapless playback). I was hoping to use Apple Lossless format. Also, gapless playback for FLAC does not work in Browse Files mode (not a big deal for me though). I'm using the latest firmware (2.05).

 

I will say this thing sounds amazing! I also love the look and feel of the unit. Much lighter than I thought it would be. I can't wait to spend more time with it and my Grado SR80s! :smile:

post #6080 of 12975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
 

I received my X3 yesterday! I haven't spent much time with it yet but I did put the same album on it in Apple Lossless (m4a) and FLAC formats. Gapless playback does not work for Apple Lossless but does for FLAC in Category>Album mode (yes I turned on gapless playback). I was hoping to use Apple Lossless format. Also, gapless playback for FLAC does not work in Browse Files mode (not a big deal for me though). I'm using the latest firmware (2.05).

 

I will say this thing sounds amazing! I also love the look and feel of the unit. Much lighter than I thought it would be. I can't wait to spend more time with it and my Grado SR80s! :smile:

That's strange. With the new firmware gapless should work from either Browse Files or Category. I have files that require gapless playback in Flac, WAV, ALAC and AIFF and all of them now play gapless from Browse Files. However I do sometimes get a small crackle or noise when transitioning from one track to the next with files where one track runs into the next, but no actual interruption in the music. It is my understanding that with the X3 the gapless function operates from the files tagging properties so you may want to make sure all of your files are properly tagged. I know initially on an older firmware version, I had some issues with gapless playback from the Categories/Album menu until I properly tagged all of my files.

post #6081 of 12975
Quote:
Originally Posted by good sound View Post
 

That's strange. With the new firmware gapless should work from either Browse Files or Category. I have files that require gapless playback in Flac, WAV, ALAC and AIFF and all of them now play gapless from Browse Files. However I do sometimes get a small crackle or noise when transitioning from one track to the next with files where one track runs into the next, but no actual interruption in the music. It is my understanding that with the X3 the gapless function operates from the files tagging properties so you may want to make sure all of your files are properly tagged. I know initially on an older firmware version, I had some issues with gapless playback from the Categories/Album menu until I properly tagged all of my files.


Actually it could be a tagging problem. I need to check that.

post #6082 of 12975
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightBlue77 View Post
 

i use X3 with beyer dt880 having 250ohm, it's a great combination, i've already written about it here or in another topic. And i also wrote about the fact that for some reason the sound is better when X3 is usb dac than when it's standalone dap. The reason could be: foobar/wasapi/eq settings or more power delivered by usb or placebo or all :) i (think i) get better bass and separation, fuller sound. Probably as dap, X3 reaches its limits by trying to drive 250 ohms headphone.

 

Actually, I can drive my 300 Ohm Sennheiser HD-600 if I want to. It gets horribly loud (Gain: high; Volume at 35) and sounds good enough. It certainly looks awkward... big headphone driven by a comparably small thing that fits in your palm.

post #6083 of 12975
Just tried playing gapless album on X3, fw 2.05. Something is broken, maybe not player. A song was listed as 4 minutes, 44 seconds long. If I let it play, it gets most of the way through the song and switches to the next track prematurely. It switches to the next track at exactly the same place every time if I just let it play. It didnt do this for the previous tracks. I dont know whats up with that one specific song, maybe the track itself got screwed up. I scroll it to 3:29 and the player's timer stocks but the track keeps playing. The player completely freezes but keeps playing, then the sound freezes, then the player switches to next track. The last 3 songs didnt have this problem but this song just screws up the moment it reaches the 3:29 mark. I cannot make it play the song past that mark, it always switches to the next track. I'll try another album and see what happens.

The more I think about it, the more I think this might be some transfer issue with putting songs onto the mem stick and not an issue with the player. However, this really boils down to an issue with an excessively slow transfer rate (2.5MB/s) to the player and lack of exFAT support.

I've used the bootice and guiformat utility to do my formating, and i've used regular drag+drop transfer method for transfering songs. When I plug in to windows at work though, windows told me it needed to fix file system errors, even though my computer at home didnt have any problems. Dont know what that is all about.

EDIT: also, ive noticed whenever its about to play, it makes these tiny "click......click" noises. Its always 2 clicks. They arent loud or anything, i just thought i'd mention it. There were a couple of very loud clicks coming from the player itself when i did USB DAC mode and connected to IEMs the other day but it was at work and I dont know if i was just hearing things or what.
Edited by shrimants - 10/31/13 at 7:12am
post #6084 of 12975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
 

 

Actually, I can drive my 300 Ohm Sennheiser HD-600 if I want to. It gets horribly loud (Gain: high; Volume at 35) and sounds good enough. It certainly looks awkward... big headphone driven by a comparably small thing that fits in your palm.

 

 

true, but remember, impedance is not the only important attribute when driving headphones. E.g. Audeze LCD-3 has 45 ohms. Could you tell that X3 would be able to drive them? i'm sure it can't.

Anyway, it's great your headphones fit with X3.


Edited by LightBlue77 - 10/31/13 at 7:20am
post #6085 of 12975
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightBlue77 View Post

true, but remember, impedance is not the only attribute important when driving headphones. E.g. Audeze LCD-3 has 45 ohms. Could you tell that X3 would be able to drive them? i'm sure it can't.
Anyway, it's great your headphones fit with X3.

Actually Fiio has a great and fairly easy to understand writeup on their website about finding amplifiers that can drive headphones. I wish they would have a couple more examples on there. Maybe have one thats like a 16 ohm X sensitivity, then a 32 ohm X sensitivity, then something like the HE6, the LCD3, the K701, and some of the others that all the audiophools go gaga over trying to insist that "oh they're so difficult to drive, they need like 10 watts per channel omg!"
post #6086 of 12975
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordAngel View Post

 

On my Cowon J3, there are OGG files that won't play even though they should be OK according to the specs of the Cowon J3. This album, for example: http://kahvi.org/releases.php?release_number=297 (Make sure you get the OGG zip file).

They don't play on the X3 either - in fact trying to play them causes a lockup requiring a hard reset.

 

Also, as mentioned in this thread somewhere, ogg decoding is flawed - there is considerable distortion (left channel only when I checked it, I think). In addition mp3 decoding is also flawed in that very low level audio is very noisy (sounds a bit like quantisation noise). All this has been acknowledged by FiiO.

 

While I'm whinging, gapless is not actually gapless for mp3s - there is always about a millisecond or several millisecond glitch on a track change, very noticeable unless the audio happens to be silent at the time.

 

All that aside. it is a very nice piece of kit which hopefully will get fixed eventually.


Edited by martin t - 10/31/13 at 1:11pm
post #6087 of 12975
Guys. Just tried another album. Again, track 4, 3 minutes, 29 seconds, flac file, browse mode, gapless playback. Can anyone else verify this? The player completely glitches out at this point. Theres no way that 2 different FLAC albums that have never before given me any problems have suddenly both died during a file transfer at exactly the same time point. This is now a player bug.

FW2.05, 64gb sandisk U1 microSD card, 25GB available, Playing gapless mode, track 4 at 3 minutes 29 seconds the player skips to track 5.
post #6088 of 12975
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlashbios View Post
 

 

I normally use manual update, but as far as I recall, the auto-update function is triggered when you eject the device from having transferred music across via USB to the card already in it. I don't remember it being triggered by swapping the sd-card in, if you have updated that card separately on a PC card reader for example. Someone correct me if I am wrong here, please,

 

Also, as far as I am aware there is no way of increasing scrolling speed of the text, but I do recall Fiio posting that they were looking at this, but it may be a limitation of the firmware.

 

As far as the Library Update, what you say makes perfect sense.  Thanks!

post #6089 of 12975
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimants View Post

Guys. Just tried another album. Again, track 4, 3 minutes, 29 seconds, flac file, browse mode, gapless playback. Can anyone else verify this? The player completely glitches out at this point. Theres no way that 2 different FLAC albums that have never before given me any problems have suddenly both died during a file transfer at exactly the same time point. This is now a player bug.

FW2.05, 64gb sandisk U1 microSD card, 25GB available, Playing gapless mode, track 4 at 3 minutes 29 seconds the player skips to track 5.


Can't check mine right  now but could it be a microSD problem? Check this thread for more info.

post #6090 of 12975
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimants View Post

Actually Fiio has a great and fairly easy to understand writeup on their website about finding amplifiers that can drive headphones. I wish they would have a couple more examples on there. Maybe have one thats like a 16 ohm X sensitivity, then a 32 ohm X sensitivity, then something like the HE6, the LCD3, the K701, and some of the others that all the audiophools go gaga over trying to insist that "oh they're so difficult to drive, they need like 10 watts per channel omg!"

There's also xnor's piece here with lots and lots of examples...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/668238/headphones-sensitivity-impedance-required-v-i-p-amplifier-gain

Now this might be a bit awkward what with my new custom title but... where's this writeup on Fiio's website? tongue.gif I'm really new at my job tongue.gif edit: found it smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Joe Bloggs - 10/31/13 at 9:11am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.