or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 373

post #5581 of 17125

Pulled the trigger on this one from mp4nation. I hope I get pleasantly surprised by the sound.

post #5582 of 17125

Today I´ve received the X3. So far I´ve been very happy with its performance. I especially love its build quality, it looks and feels lovely.

 

But there´s one tiny little thing to ask: MP3 or AAC are not decoded as 32 bit floating point. Lossy codecs like MP3 and AAC are assumed to be always 16 bit I guess - but that isn´t true. They don´t have any bit depth at all, so they can easily encode HiRes material as high as 24 bit (in both cases with 48 kHz... IMO, that´s HiRes). I occasinally do so, in case I don´t want FLAC for the best quality (depends on the material).

 

So I´d like to ask for 32 bit floating point decoding for a future update. I mean, every software player (foobar, Winamp, JRiver) already does it, it shouldn´t be too difficult for the X3 I think.

 

To have HiRes ability with lossy codecs would be an alternative for people not willing to spend too much money on an SD card. They could of course switch to WMA Professional (lossy) but who wants that, eh? :D


Edited by Marlene - 10/8/13 at 6:34pm
post #5583 of 17125

Rockbox release? Anyone?

post #5584 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
 

But there´s one tiny little thing to ask: MP3 nor AAC are decoded as 32 bit floating point. Lossy codecs like MP3 and AAC are obviously assumed to be always 16 bit which isn´t true. They don´t have any bit depth at all, so they can easily encode HiRes material as high as 24 bit (in both cases with 48 kHz... IMO, that´s HiRes).

 

So I´d like to ask for 32 bit floating point decoding for a future update. I mean, every software player (foobar, Winamp, JRiver) already does it, it shouldn´t be too difficult for the X3 I think.

 

 

What does this mean?

post #5585 of 17125

I edited that X-men picture a little, if anyone wants to use it/ edit it go ahead. My photoshop skills aren't very good, so maybe someone can touch it up a bit?

VVza2Jd.jpg


Edited by Rutsber - 10/8/13 at 7:38pm
post #5586 of 17125

This isn't really an X3 issue directly, but since it involves my X3 I thought I would post the question here anyway as there are a lot of computer savvy members here on Head-Fi.

 

Until now I have been content with loading up my micro SD cards with files from ripped CD's or 24/96 and 24/192 files from ripped DVD-Audio discs or from online downloads like HD Tracks etc. Today I decided to convert some of my DSD files to WAV and load them onto a memory card but they have too high of a bitrate and the X3 cannot play them properly. There is a lot of distortion and the tracks are unlistenable. The X3 display showed these WAV files to be 384khz/24bit and the X3 max's out at 192khz/24bit.

 

My question is this. Is there an easy way to change the bitrate of these WAV files. I downloaded one  piece of software designed to do this but there weren't any options I could find and it automatically by default changed not only the bit rate but the bit depth as well of every WAV file to 16bit 48000 hz. That's not what I wanted. I want to keep the WAV files at 24bit but reduce the bitrate to a size equal to 192khz or approximately 9100 kbps. Some of the original native DSD files are over 30,000kbps.

 

I probably should have just downloaded Audacity but when I went to their site and looked at some of the tutorials with screen shots I was completely overwhelmed by the apparent complexity and difficulty of the whole system. Way too large of a learning curve for what I want to do. I am hoping there is something much more simple and straightforward that this 50 something computer neophyte can handle without too much difficulty. I have some really good stuff on DSD and I would rather not wait to see if the X3 does eventually support DSD playback directly to be able to hear these files on my player.


Edited by good sound - 10/8/13 at 7:50pm
post #5587 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by good sound View Post
 

This isn't really an X3 issue directly, but since it involves my X3 I thought I would post the question here anyway as there are a lot of computer savvy members here on Head-Fi.

 

Until now I have been content with loading up my micro SD cards with files from ripped CD's or 24/96 and 24/192 files from ripped DVD-Audio discs or from online downloads like HD Tracks etc. Today I decided to convert some of my DSD files to WAV and load them onto a memory card but they have too high of a bitrate and the X3 cannot play them properly. There is a lot of distortion and the tracks are unlistenable. The X3 display showed these WAV files to be 384khz/24bit and the X3 max's out at 192khz/24bit.

 

My question is this. Is there an easy way to change the bitrate of these WAV files. I downloaded one  piece of software designed to do this but there weren't any options I could find and it automatically by default changed not only the bit rate but the bit depth as well of every WAV file to 16bit 48000 hz. That's not what I wanted. I want to keep the WAV files at 24bit but reduce the bitrate to a size equal to 192khz or approximately 9100 kbps. Some of the original native DSD files are over 30,000kbps.

 

I probably should have just downloaded Audacity but when I went to their site and looked at some of the tutorials with screen shots I was completely overwhelmed by the apparent complexity and difficulty of the whole system. I am hoping there is something much more simple and straightforward that this 50 something computer neophyte can handle without too much difficulty. I have some really good stuff on DSD and I would rather not wait to see if the X3 does eventually support DSD playback directly to be able to hear these files on my player.

 

Foorbar2000 will be the best for you . and in the future X3 will support DSD playback ( the files in .iso format ). 

post #5588 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post

Foorbar2000 will be the best for you . and in the future X3 will support DSD playback ( the files in .iso format ). 

Any initial impressions from the trial users regarding the performance eg battery consumption and SQ improvments to share with us?
post #5589 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by good sound View Post
 

This isn't really an X3 issue directly, but since it involves my X3 I thought I would post the question here anyway as there are a lot of computer savvy members here on Head-Fi.

 

Until now I have been content with loading up my micro SD cards with files from ripped CD's or 24/96 and 24/192 files from ripped DVD-Audio discs or from online downloads like HD Tracks etc. Today I decided to convert some of my DSD files to WAV and load them onto a memory card but they have too high of a bitrate and the X3 cannot play them properly. There is a lot of distortion and the tracks are unlistenable. The X3 display showed these WAV files to be 384khz/24bit and the X3 max's out at 192khz/24bit.

 

My question is this. Is there an easy way to change the bitrate of these WAV files. I downloaded one  piece of software designed to do this but there weren't any options I could find and it automatically by default changed not only the bit rate but the bit depth as well of every WAV file to 16bit 48000 hz. That's not what I wanted. I want to keep the WAV files at 24bit but reduce the bitrate to a size equal to 192khz or approximately 9100 kbps. Some of the original native DSD files are over 30,000kbps.

 

I probably should have just downloaded Audacity but when I went to their site and looked at some of the tutorials with screen shots I was completely overwhelmed by the apparent complexity and difficulty of the whole system. I am hoping there is something much more simple and straightforward that this 50 something computer neophyte can handle without too much difficulty. I have some really good stuff on DSD and I would rather not wait to see if the X3 does eventually support DSD playback directly to be able to hear these files on my player.

 

Foorbar2000 will be the best for you . and in the future X3 will support DSD playback ( the files in .iso format ). 

 

Thanks for the quick reply James. I have Foobar installed on my PC but admitadly I never use it as I much prefer JRiver Media center 18. Are you saying that Foobar contains the tools to complete the bitrate change that I want to do?

post #5590 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by good sound View Post
 

 

Thanks for the quick reply James. I have Foobar installed on my PC but admitadly I never use it as I much prefer JRiver Media center 18. Are you saying that Foobar contains the tools to complete the bitrate change that I want to do?

 

yes, Foorbar2000 can do that. 

post #5591 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by good sound View Post
 

 

Thanks for the quick reply James. I have Foobar installed on my PC but admitadly I never use it as I much prefer JRiver Media center 18. Are you saying that Foobar contains the tools to complete the bitrate change that I want to do?

 

yes, Foorbar2000 can do that. 

 

Yes but will it be easy, especially for someone who is not all that familiar with the inner workings of PC's and their associated software? I have already gone into foobar and it would appear that there may not be any easy way to do what i want to do. It's going to involve adding plug-ins and learning how they work and I think I just may wait until the X3 supports DSD directly. Even then all of my DSD files are DSF so even when the X3 is able to support DSD it would appear that I will have to convert all of my DSF files to .iso format.

post #5592 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

 

Foorbar2000 will be the best for you . and in the future X3 will support DSD playback ( the files in .iso format ). 

 

:O

wow

 

So I can just drop an .ISO image of my DSD disk onto the x3 and it will play???

Thats amazing. 

post #5593 of 17125

Hello guys.

I've bought the X3 one month ago and I'm very happy with it. I've got a Micro SD 64 full of FLAC music tagged and ordered like this: Folder (The name of the Album) with inside all the songs in FLAC format numbered 01 song name, 02 song name, etc..

There is only one problem: I'm not able to play the music like a continuous flux through the folder; starting with the first song of the first folder the music ends with the last song of the folder. I'd like to continue listening to the next folder (in alphabetical order) and so on. I tried everything: it doesn't work playing from Category/Album; it doesn't work playing from Browse Files. Of course the Play Mode is set to One Cycle.

Maybe is a stupid question...

Can you help me?

Thank you in advance.

 

Filippo

post #5594 of 17125

Just wanted to mention that X3 + W4R is a superb combo. It's like they they're made for each other. Also 32gb SanDisk card works perfectly without any problems, just drag drop, insert card and you're ready to go. Loving the X3 these days, counting down to the X5. I think I'll own both.:bigsmile_face:

post #5595 of 17125

My x3 just arrived, seems to be already charged so I'm listening to the sample tracks with my Merlins while the sd card fills up - so far I'm liking it. It seems to have firmware 1.23, whats the latest version and where can I get it from?

 

Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.