or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 362

post #5416 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicHolyGhost View Post


Thanks, James.. You guys are real awesome for giving away a bonus feature..
When using x3 as portable dac, do we have the option to turn off usb charge? Just want to handle the battery diligently, thanks...

 

when work as DAC, the USB power will power the X3 and charge the battery at the same time. when the battery is fully charged. it will stop charge the battery . so you don't need to worry about the battery life.

post #5417 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

 

when work as DAC, the USB power will power the X3 and charge the battery at the same time. when the battery is fully charged. it will stop charge the battery . so you don't need to worry about the battery life.

Thanks, James!

post #5418 of 17128
When adding music to a 64 gig card, have you guys added it all as one batch and then updated the library or done smaller increments?

In other news, my 32 gig card works great and I'm finding great synergy with my 225's
post #5419 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post

When adding music to a 64 gig card, have you guys added it all as one batch and then updated the library or done smaller increments?

In other news, my 32 gig card works great and I'm finding great synergy with my 225's

 

My X3 kept freezing when I did it all in one go so I did it in smaller increments. I'm not sure how many tracks at a time is the critical number, but I did it one letter of the alphabet at a time. I'm pretty sure that was far too conservative and you can get away with a thousand or so tracks at a time.

 

BTW, did you manage to get your 64GB card formatted on your Mac? Presumably yes 8^).


Edited by tjw321 - 9/23/13 at 8:00am
post #5420 of 17128

I continue to be impressed by the x3. I find that it is only slightly warm and has great dynamics on iem's and full sized hp's. It does not sound like the e17 to me although I think that it is based on the e17. Just a wonderful product and outstanding support from James and Fiio. 

post #5421 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw321 View Post

My X3 kept freezing when I did it all in one go so I did it in smaller increments. I'm not sure how many tracks at a time is the critical number, but I did it one letter of the alphabet at a time. I'm pretty sure that was far too conservative and you can get away with a thousand or so tracks at a time.

BTW, did you manage to get your 64GB card formatted on your Mac? Presumably yes 8^).

Well I resorted to doing one artist at a time and they all showed up on my correctly formatted card while in the computer. But after trying to play them in the X.3 it would show the artist but in trying to play the files I get the file not found error
post #5422 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post


Well I resorted to doing one artist at a time and they all showed up on my correctly formatted card while in the computer. But after trying to play them in the X.3 it would show the artist but in trying to play the files I get the file not found error

 

I don't use category play but I just checked and my tracks play okay. I'm using XLD to tag and encode to aac TVBR. I also use "Tag" from sbooth.org for editing/fine-tuning the tags if the CDDB lookup gets it wrong. Don't know if that helps at all.

post #5423 of 17128
I used a cheap usb3.0 SD reader from DX, but this heated up and broke, so after that i used a sandisk micro SD to usb drive. I can fill the microSD card in one go.

It depends on your PC as well, of course.
post #5424 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post

I used a cheap usb3.0 SD reader from DX, but this heated up and broke, so after that i used a sandisk micro SD to usb drive. I can fill the microSD card in one go.

It depends on your PC as well, of course.

 

I think this is more about the indexing of the X3 library rather than the actual transfer. My X3 freezes if I try and index a whole cardful of tracks in one go. But I could be mistaken, of course (in which case, ignore my earlier answer 8^) ).

post #5425 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw321 View Post

I think this is more about the indexing of the X3 library rather than the actual transfer. My X3 freezes if I try and index a whole cardful of tracks in one go. But I could be mistaken, of course (in which case, ignore my earlier answer 8^) ).

Mine finishes the index, telling me that the update is complete but when I go into the card, I can read the artists and albums but when I get to song level - "File Not Found"
post #5426 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post


Mine finishes the index, telling me that the update is complete but when I go into the card, I can read the artists and albums but when I get to song level - "File Not Found"

 

Just to be clear, this is when going via "Category", not via "Browse Files" - is that correct? Both routes are working for me having formatted and indexed in the same way as you just have. The only thing I can think of, is that your database got corrupted in an earlier indexing attempt and that the update isn't working correctly. Unfortunately the only way of fixing this is to clear out your entire database and re-index from scratch. This thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/681416/how-to-delete-the-database-in-the-x3-disk - shows you how to do that.

 

I should have mentioned that I don't know if there is a setting to view hidden files in the Mac finder. I usually just open the "terminal" app and do:

 

rm /Volumes/X3/usrlocal_media.db

 

But make sure that you don't have any other disks called X3 - though you'd have to be very unlucky to also have a file with the correct name which you are depending on on a drive with the same name....


Edited by tjw321 - 9/23/13 at 9:45am
post #5427 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post
 

 

when work as DAC, the USB power will power the X3 and charge the battery at the same time. when the battery is fully charged. it will stop charge the battery . so you don't need to worry about the battery life.

 

I think the question about USB power may have to do with compatibility with devices other than PCs.     

 

On the E17, you can set "USB Charging" to Off in the menu system, and the device becomes more compatible with some portable devices because it does not ask for as much current as when it is charging.  Is there a similar setting to "USB Charging" in the X3 menu?

 

EDIT:  I might have answered my own question.  According to ClieOS' review here, there isn't a "USB Charging" item in the X3 menu system.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663600/impression-fiio-x3-high-fi-low-price

 

I'm curious as to what happens when you try to use the X3 as a DAC on different phones...


Edited by jazzman7 - 9/23/13 at 9:46am
post #5428 of 17128

Had my first glitch with the X3 over the weekend.  I went out for a bike ride and as soon as I wanted to use the X3 it locked up and no matter what I did it would not play any music.  I reset it when I got home and it works now.  Just weird.

post #5429 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw321 View Post

I think this is more about the indexing of the X3 library rather than the actual transfer. My X3 freezes if I try and index a whole cardful of tracks in one go. But I could be mistaken, of course (in which case, ignore my earlier answer 8^) ).

The indexing went very smoothly for me, (it took 20 minutes and 12 seconds for adding the external SD, which holds 58GB of music)(just did this for you)

I would advise not to add this amount of files with the SD card in the X3 though.
post #5430 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


The indexing went very smoothly for me, (it took 20 minutes and 12 seconds for adding the external SD, which holds 58GB of music)(just did this for you)

I would advise not to add this amount of files with the SD card in the X3 though.

 

I think the problem is related to the number of tracks, rather than the total size of them in bytes. I have just under 8,000. It worked with around 6,000 (I think) but it appears to crash now I'm up to nearly 8,000. However, I've now found that the X3 can sometimes appear to have crashed but is merely unresponsive, with a blank screen, under other operations, so it may be that it would have recovered - but I was well past 20 minutes before I reset....)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.