Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 347

post #5191 of 12962

my 64 works now i had to reduce the folders i had i eliminated the folder for albums .not sure if thats what made it work but it works now

post #5192 of 12962
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

Afraid to say, I think there may be some issue with the Fiio X3's mp3 decoder and Lame encoded mp3s. I'm on FW 1.31 and some of my rather quiet classical tracks exhibit a lot of background noise on the X3. In fact more so than on any of my other DAPs, including my SGS3 smartphone. So, if any of you audiophile folks would care to listen to this test track and tell me what they hear, I'd appreciate it very much. I'm wondering if this will sound similarly noisy on everybody else's X3.

 

Download links: file1 file2 file3 (same file, just different locations)

 

With revealing IEMs like the ER4S, UERM or FI-BA-SS, this mp3 file exhibits horrible background noise if I crank up the volume a bit. Now, you'd probably think these are mp3 compression artifacts, but the same file plays fine on my other DAPs. Moreover, if I decode the same file to WAV or FLAC, it also plays fine on the X3. So I suspect it may possibly be an mp3 decoder issue on the X3.

 

Thanks in advance to everyone taking the time to test this on their X3! :smile_phones:

 

 

thanks for your report, will see what happened in this files.

post #5193 of 12962
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

Afraid to say, I think there may be some issue with the Fiio X3's mp3 decoder and Lame encoded mp3s. I'm on FW 1.31 and some of my rather quiet classical tracks exhibit a lot of background noise on the X3. In fact more so than on any of my other DAPs, including my SGS3 smartphone. So, if any of you audiophile folks would care to listen to this test track and tell me what they hear, I'd appreciate it very much. I'm wondering if this will sound similarly noisy on everybody else's X3.

 

Download links: file1 file2 file3 (same file, just different locations)

 

With revealing IEMs like the ER4S, UERM or FI-BA-SS, this mp3 file exhibits horrible background noise if I crank up the volume a bit. Now, you'd probably think these are mp3 compression artifacts, but the same file plays fine on my other DAPs. Moreover, if I decode the same file to WAV or FLAC, it also plays fine on the X3. So I suspect it may possibly be an mp3 decoder issue on the X3.

 

Thanks in advance to everyone taking the time to test this on their X3! :smile_phones:

testing your track on my x3 with um3x...i hear a lot of hissing..my EQ has been all set to 0..at vol 29 and low gain setting...

 

could this issue due to your encoding process?

 

i try the same file on dx50 and i hear the same hissing and little bit of noise...the setting is also on low gain...no EQ..

post #5194 of 12962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefwalk View Post
 

I ran your test file on my X3 using FW 1.31 and got the same result, through IEM's (Westone W4's), lots of background noise. Played the sample through my laptop sound card and it played without any of the artifacting that was apparent through the X3.

 

Thanks, that mirrors exactly what I hear.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzffnn View Post

@ James444,

I don't have X3, but I played your file through Westone ES3X loudly from computer (WinXP->USB->Fiio E17) and from Rockboxed Clip+ (dithering did not change anything). I heard some (not "a lot") background noise from both sources.

 Most noise was heard at very beginning and 0:24 (and after), when no music was playing. The noise sounds like flowing water, which resembles what I heard from amps with ground loop and/or too much gain (not saying it is, it just sounds like that). Music masks most of the noise, to the extent that I can still enjoy the music. 

Your recording's sound level is very very low though. And the recording itself seems to have some non-music background sound. Some classicals I heard sound quite a bit louder and cleaner. 

When you said SGS3 produce less noise than X3, did you try to volume match X3 with SGS3?

Sorry, my finding may not directly help you.

 

Thanks anyway for your time and thoughts. I agree it's not among the cleanest classical recordings and the recording level is very low, so there's some minor noise present even in the WAV files. But the artifacts I'm talking about are much more severe and only occur with the mp3 version on the X3.

 

Yes, I did volume match my SGS3 (international version) and it sounded significantly cleaner with the same mp3 file.

 

Slightly off-topic, your post made me remember that I heard similar sound artifacts with low level recordings on my SGS3 when I tried PlayerPro with the DSPPack installed, so I tried this out again. And sure enough, the moment I activate the DSPPack in PlayerPro (v2.72) settings, there are very similar artifacts to the X3 with this mp3 file on my SGS3. My wild guess is that maybe similar software libraries and / or decoding algorithms for mp3 are being used on both the X3 and PlayerPro with DSPPack.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post
 

 

lol@ audiophile folks :P

 

Have you tried a different flac to mp3 converter or just tried converting it again? As far as the noise is it very obvious or something subtle and is it in a certain time frame in the track? I didn't hear anything that would be considered horrible background noise that would prevent me from listening to it.

 

I tried it with my computer using my O2 which are quite revealing just to get an idea from my computer and then X3 with UERM.

 

Just for clarification, what I did was converting the test mp3 file to flac, not the other way round. So any noise present in the mp3 file should still be present in the flac, no? Yet the flac plays much cleaner than the mp3 on my X3, that's why I think it may be a decoder issue. If you play just the first 5 seconds at volume 40/60 with your UERM, the artifacts with the mp3 version should be easily apparent.

 

Btw, here's a link to the transcoded flac version: file

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post

 

thanks for your report, will see what happened in this files.


Thanks, looking forward to your findings!

 

Maybe the fact that this test file exhibits similar artifacts in PlayerPro on Android with activated DSPPack (see above) can be helpful to isolate the cause.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doki81 View Post
 

testing your track on my x3 with um3x...i hear a lot of hissing..my EQ has been all set to 0..at vol 29 and low gain setting...

 

could this issue due to your encoding process?

 

i try the same file on dx50 and i hear the same hissing and little bit of noise...the setting is also on low gain...no EQ..

 

Thanks for trying. See my above reply to rawrster, can't possibly be an encoding issue when the same file transcoded to flac or wav plays cleaner on the X3.

post #5195 of 12962

Not sure if this bug has been reported James, but I have a file with the entire album recorded into a single Wav file with a cue file to go with it. Every time I try to enter this file folder in browse mode my X3 freezes. I tried deleting the cue file and I can enter the file folder, no problem, and play my Wav file but since the cue file had to be deleted I have to play the entire album.

 

So I checked out the cue file to see if their was a problem and it's written correctly, Standard format for single Wav file for entire album. Just reporting this bug in case you guys can fix it.

 

Oh and my X3 arrived yesterday but I've been letting it burn in because it sounded kinda terrible out of the box. Just checked it out and it sounds much better after about 20 hours on it. Still left it in the burn-in chamber just to see if it gets any better. But so far I'm very happy with the sonics. A definite step up from the E17, which I thought was "good enough" on the go. This has exceeded my expectations. Good work to the team at Fiio and James. :beerchug: (also not finding the X3 to be as dark as the E17, which is a plus for me). It does sound more open and the bass is tighter and not as loose.

 

Build quality is much better than expected. The entire unit is flatter and bigger than I thought from pictures. I thought it was taller and smaller overall. But I like the actual dimensions. I'm happy with so far and well worth the money.


Edited by M-13 - 9/15/13 at 2:19am
post #5196 of 12962

Hi,

inside cuefile is this section e.g. FILE "Megadeth - Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good! (Japan 1st Press).flac" WAVE

This is name of the file with music. File name must be absolutely same as file name with music (include extension).

It might be that problem.

post #5197 of 12962
post #5198 of 12962

I appreciate the replies regarding my non functioning 64 gb Sandisk card. Unfortunately nothing has been able to resolve the problem. I can use the 32 gb card that I have. The problem exist whether I add 30 gigs or 1 gig to the card. The card does work perfectly in the all instances and other devices. I will wait for fiio to release a new firmware which would allow you to format the card on the player itself before purchasing another card.

 

thanks again for the help...

post #5199 of 12962
Is there a reason that the X3 isn't on the "product" pages on head-fi yet?

I tried to make a list of all the audio devices i own(ed) but i can't add the X3...
post #5200 of 12962
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post

Is there a reason that the X3 isn't on the "product" pages on head-fi yet?

I tried to make a list of all the audio devices i own(ed) but i can't add the X3...

I've wondered the same thing... Time for some reviews!
post #5201 of 12962
Quote:
Originally Posted by avl06 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


I had this same problem, you should try transferring the files to the X3 again.
Make sure everything is tagged right.

 

Thanks. I think the problem was with Max, didn't tag correctly maybe.  Created ALAC copies out of iTunes and they play fine, albeit with no artwork...

 

Still listening to Bon Iver with HD600 as I type, sounding very good. Dark background, good depth of field. Happy so far!

 

Had the same thing happen to me multiple times transferring albums from JRiver 18, some went fine, some in random order, all wound up in a "music" folder inside the main folder. Had started by ripping CD to JRiver, would thing tagging should be OK...

 

Have also had an issue with freezing-sometimes I pause to do something else, then try to restart, won't unpause, have to reset.

 

(love the player, btw)


Edited by doctorjazz - 9/15/13 at 7:35am
post #5202 of 12962
Ok James I tried it again but with volume higher and matches what you are hearing. I usually don't listen to anything that loud so I only turned it up a few notches more than usual.
post #5203 of 12962
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

Ok James I tried it again but with volume higher and matches what you are hearing. I usually don't listen to anything that loud so I only turned it up a few notches more than usual.

 

Thanks for the confirmation. I usually don't listen that loud either, but with the 100 ohms ER4S I had to crank up the volume and noticed the artifacts.

post #5204 of 12962
I have had my X3 for well over a month and have around 100 hours on it and the sound seems to be improving nicely. I have not done any of the firmware updates as it works fine for my needs.
Can not wait to get my I basso DX50 to do some comparisons.
post #5205 of 12962
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy View Post

I have had my X3 for well over a month and have around 100 hours on it and the sound seems to be improving nicely. I have not done any of the firmware updates as it works fine for my needs.
Can not wait to get my I basso DX50 to do some comparisons.

 

I feel the same way about my X3. It's still on the firmware it came with but it also suits my needs just fine so don't see a need to update. I'm getting my DX50 tomorrow in the mail and bought a 64gb sdxc so I could also test it out with the X3 to see how that works with it. I bought one of those card readers too and it's so much faster than my laptop reader. I don't think I would have the patience for 2 hours to fill up the 64 gb card.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.