or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 268

post #4006 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

 

So rather than saying X3 doesn't work with IEM's, it would be more accurate to say,

 

Well. I referred IEMs in general as each step of volume increase quite an amount of volume.

post #4007 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by w357 View Post

Please add to System Settings:

 - one press action +/-

I dont want to press twice for choose next track - one click activate backlight, second nex track((((


James, what about this>?

post #4008 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post


Well I think you are wrong in generalizing that X3 pairs badly with IEMs. No idea what you are using, but it pairs great with my V6 and few others.
And I don't find it too forward either in vocals.
The C3 is more forward than the X3.

Like I've mentioned earlier.

Because x3 has the ability to power even full sized cans, each volume adjustment is quite a step upwards.

 

If compared to ak100, I find ak100 to better "give listeners the exact volume they need" compared to x3.

However, I've heard comments that a cowon does not efficiently power up his IEM, in fact, the guy was listening too loud. In which, I can understand how it is not a problem at all to some.

 

I'm quite a volume sensitive person, in that case I would prefer "low gain to suit the use of IEMs by having lesser gain for each volume step" and "high gain to cater to cans by having higher gains for each volume step".

post #4009 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscular View Post

Like I've mentioned earlier.
Because x3 has the ability to power even full sized cans, each volume adjustment is quite a step upwards.

If compared to ak100, I find ak100 to better "give listeners the exact volume they need" compared to x3.
However, I've heard comments that a cowon does not efficiently power up his IEM, in fact, the guy was listening too loud. In which, I can understand how it is not a problem at all to some.

I'm quite a volume sensitive person, in that case I would prefer "low gain to suit the use of IEMs by having lesser gain for each volume step" and "high gain to cater to cans by having higher gains for each volume step".

AK100 has a 22 ohm output impedance which should poorly pair with most IEMs in general compared to X3. Though some people prefers the sound resulting from that.
If having a high volume is your main concern for poor pairing with IEMs in general then just tone down your volume and gain. I don't see what's the problem with that?
post #4010 of 17125

just some feedback on x3...

 

1) if the album name or title is very long, it's very hard to read on x3...the title did scroll but a bit slow....maybe can make it a way so we can adjust the scroll speed?

 

2) will x3 release a custom EQ or virtual sound feature?

post #4011 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post

AK100 has a 22 ohm output impedance which should poorly pair with most IEMs in general compared to X3. Though some people prefers the sound resulting from that.
If having a high volume is your main concern for poor pairing with IEMs in general then just tone down your volume and gain. I don't see what's the problem with that?

The gain per step is the problem here.
Just to illustrate for ur understanding,
I prefer the volume in between 18 and 19
It leaves me with either a lower or higher volume than I would have liked.
post #4012 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post


AK100 has a 22 ohm output impedance which should poorly pair with most IEMs in general compared to X3. Though some people prefers the sound resulting from that.
If having a high volume is your main concern for poor pairing with IEMs in general then just tone down your volume and gain. I don't see what's the problem with that?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscular View Post


The gain per step is the problem here.
Just to illustrate for ur understanding,
I prefer the volume in between 18 and 19
It leaves me with either a lower or higher volume than I would have liked.

 

Having insufficient volume steps is a technical/functional problem and it is quite annoying. You constantly have to go up and down in volume because you are never satisfied with either, too loud or too quiet.

 

Having a 22 ohm output impedance on the AK100 is a serious sound quality issue for IEMs, as the frequency graph moves away from the ruler-flat linear response if you pair it with low impedance IEMs. Usually the high frequency drops off and the bass gets uncontrolled, which actually makes some people feel "musical" and "intimate".

 

I am somewhat concerned that some people feel the X3 is too forward and bright on IEMs simply because the other DAPs they are using has much higher output impedance (e.g. ~ 50 ohms).


Edited by sandalaudio - 8/14/13 at 12:18am
post #4013 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscular View Post

The gain per step is the problem here.
Just to illustrate for ur understanding,
I prefer the volume in between 18 and 19
It leaves me with either a lower or higher volume than I would have liked.

That also depends on your IEMs, while some may do just right btw 18-19, some will do right with either 18 or 19.
But this really is a matter of preferences. While to your ears the right sound is 18.5, others might prefer 19. That doesn't make the X3 a poor pairing with IEMs in general. What is more appropriate for general poor pairing would be something like the AK100 output impedance.
Personally I don't find the differences in the volume step a big thing, since there are other factors that affect our perception of volume. Such as the source of the file itself, wax in your ears, poor fitting, preferences, etc.
post #4014 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalaudio View Post


Having insufficient volume steps is a technical/functional problem and it is quite annoying. You constantly have to go up and down in volume because you are never satisfied with either, too loud or too quiet.

Having a 22 ohm output impedance on the AK100 is a serious sound quality issue for IEMs, as the frequency graph moves away from the ruler-flat linear response if you pair it with low impedance IEMs. Usually the high frequency drops off and the base gets uncontrolled, which actually makes some people feel "musical" and "intimate".

I am somewhat concerned that some people feel the X3 is too forward and bright on IEMs simply because the other DAPs they are using has much higher output impedance (e.g. ~ 50 ohms).

I think the number of ppl finding the X3 bright and forward is the rare minority. Most find it warm. And I definitely do not find it forward, I thought it was rather balance although warmish.
post #4015 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlashbios View Post

 

From experimentation, it's not a problem with 64Gb cards as such, it seems to be an issue with how many folders and files you have in one directory structure.

 

53.5Gb archive in Music/Artist/Album/Song structure with 400 folders and 8000 files and I cannot browse all the music. If I split my archive into two parts, but the same folder structure, then I can browse the whole archive(s).

 

In neither case however, does it index all the files to the X3 database so that you can use the 'Category' function. The only way I can get it to index all the songs to the database is by putting all 8000 songs into one big folder called Music. Then it indexes them and builds the database.

Having used the X3 and a 32GB Sandisk Class 10 SD card for a few days and loving it, and having read many of the recent posts that pointed out some deficiencies in the product (some I noticed and some not), I wanted to make some comments:

 

I too am looking forward to trying a 64GB card in it to increase my enjoyment of the X3 and appreciate all the posts on this issue that will help me with my choice of card and method of use.  There are only pluses to getting as much music on the device to increase the convenience factor, but in reading the posts on getting the most files into the X3, I can't help but smile as to how technology has spoiled us.

 

 Having grown up through the age of phonograph records (10-12 tracks per record, flipping and cleaning after 6, don't jump on the floor), cassette tapes (10-20 tracks, flipping halfway but no cleaning, jump all you want!), CD's (12 to 16 tracks, no flipping or cleaning), early MP3's burned onto a CD played though my CD/MP3 compatible discman (128 or so, no flipping or cleaning) to my iPod 30GB Video (5000+ tracks just scrolling).  Never had a 160GB iPod Classic because of so so SQ.  Now 8,000 on a less than fingernail sized piece of plastic with none of the issues of spinning hard disk platters!

 

Errr, what was my point?  Oh Yeah.  I'm all for more tracks.  I would even be willing to swap the SD cards like CD's (8000 tracks at a time, carry a whole whack load in a pill container!!!) due to the ease of swapping the SD cards in the X3! (Just hope I don't lose or break the darn little things!)  But I just wanted to reflect on just how far we have come in portable musical enjoyment as to how much music we can carry with us.  But wait!  The phonograph record as a portable music solution?  Well, transportable record players were a thing back in the 50's. The 1956 De Soto even had an under dash phonograph player as an option!

 

The X3. Great sound quality, more tracks, affordable, who could ask for anything more???  Oh wait, this is Head Fi.  You guys are asking for more;)

post #4016 of 17125

on my hand I'm happy about the volume steps as I can go super low. for ambient listening in silent environment, I always though that my sony/cowon/samsung were too loud at 1. I got my first amp only so I could listen lower ^_^.

with the X3 Iow volume is really really low, so I'm very happy about it.

 

 

and again I have to agree with sandalaudio, from where I stand a lot of comments here look like misinterpretations of reality. I don't argue about that fact that people find the X3 too bright, too dry, mid oriented, with too much trebles etc etc. I argue about the reason why. go check the impedance of your usual source, go check the impedance graph of your IEM and see how much of the sound changes go accordingly to damping/signature changes. you might be surprised.

 

I bet here that a lot of people would love the sound of a 5ohm load in between the X3 and the IEM. not that the sound would be better, but because it's what some are used to.

post #4017 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanter View Post


I think the number of ppl finding the X3 bright and forward is the rare minority. Most find it warm. And I definitely do not find it forward, I thought it was rather balance although warmish.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post

and again I have to agree with sandalaudio, from where I stand a lot of comments here look like misinterpretations of reality. I don't argue about that fact that people find the X3 too bright, too dry, mid oriented, with too much trebles etc etc. I argue about the reason why. go check the impedance of your usual source, go check the impedance graph of your IEM and see how much of the sound changes go accordingly to damping/signature changes. you might be surprised.

 

I bet here that a lot of people would love the sound of a 5ohm load in between the X3 and the IEM. not that the sound would be better, but because it's what some are used to.

 

Yes I agree. I just wanted people to realize that not all headphone amps are built with IEMs and portable headphones in mind. I am aware that headphone amps do make a huge difference to the sound of IEMs, but this is somewhat because the low impedance of IEMs will cause more severe frequency anomalies and poor control compared to the high impedance headphones.

 

For example, a few months ago Meridian Explorer USB DAC was originally released with 50 ohm output impedance, and they got severely bashed by the IEM users in various forums because that rolls of the highs on IEMs. Meridian had to recall the product and offered a swap to a revised 5 ohm model. It was good on them that they acted quickly.

 

Beyerdynamic released the A1 headphone amp to match their T1, so the output impedance was set to around 100 ohms. This caused no issues on the T1, but has terrible implications on IEMs or any portable headphones. I don't think Beyerdynamic cares because IEM wasn't their target audience.

 

I am not saying "therefore X3 must sound good", but the point is, X3 was designed to be compatible with low impedance IEMs, whereas many companies don't, because of design issues.


Edited by sandalaudio - 8/14/13 at 2:25am
post #4018 of 17125

About the m3u, we will add it into the new firmware, but it maybe after 2 or 3 months. and we are working in the bugs fixing and some new features for X3 right now. 

post #4019 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscular View Post

...

I've found X3 to pair badly with IEMs in general.

...

 

Having been more or less an exclusive IEM user, I have to disagree as X3 does go decently well with a good number of my IEM. Maybe there are IEM out there that just don't 'click' with X3, but saying that it is 'in general' is a bit overboard IMO.

 

X3 has digital volume control in 1dB step and perfect channel balance, considering that 1dB change is generally acknowledged to be the minimum detection threshold for average human. Also, the digital volume control is always in 1dB step in increment or decrement regardless of what gain setting it is.


Edited by ClieOS - 8/14/13 at 3:18am
post #4020 of 17125
I find my Grado GR10 IEMs to pair rather nicely with the X3, albeit somewhat warm sounding.

Might think about the opamp mod, but i don't find it necessary to enjoy my music.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.