or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 267

post #3991 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Defragmenting is a old process meant for 90's computers. And really on applies to Hard DISK DRIVE storage units.

 

Old HDD's and the old OS's from years past that handled where data went was very random and not done efficenctly leading to a need for disk cleanup and defrag. Nowadays with Win 7, Mac OSX etc etc, the OS auto handles the function of keeping a HDD working very well and without need for defrag

 

Those that are defragging their HDD's today are doing nothing for their drives as the OS is 'smart' enough nowadays to automatically have set algo's for where data goes on a disk drive. 

 

And using a SD defragger is even more pointless. IT's the same thing as painting racing stripes on a car to make it go faster. It's all a marketing scheme. The companies that make this stuff know it does nothing and will actually shorten the life or you SD card(flash memory's access amounts are more limited than HDD') They just sell the software because people still haven't realized this. But for the most part, people have noticed this, you will notice that most SD card and regular HDD defragers are hosted on 3rd party somewhat sketchy looking sites, most that are freeware that will download adware onto your computer. 

 

TLDR;

Defrag was meant to sort files on your computer and be used as a cleanup for your HDD because OS's couldn't do it to well back then and so it was bundled with computers. Current OS's do it very nicely and the defrag is just kept there for the hell of it. This only applies to hard disk drive(spinning platters). Flash memory formats are not supposed to be 'accessed' as much as HDD's are. This is why TRIM and disabling indexing is done on SDD's a lot.

 

 

I abridged this A LOT. And am actually slightly incorrect in some parts dealing with OS handling of it because if I was to explain it more, it would be a waste of my time as most wouldn't even read this. 

 

overall lesson: Don't defrag your flash memory.

 

OK! In this I agree with you! But I say, NOT for the acceleration of the microSD card.
Let me give a specific example. I used to use DAP HiSoundAudio Studio. Also used a microSD card 64GB. On the map I have kept 1000 files, but the player recognizes only 997 files. I tried to format the card again and copy files to it in 1000. After updating the library player recognizes 996 files. In the end, I just happened, I decided to defragment my card, and defragmenting the player to recognize the 1000 files. After that I added the files to the microSD card, and check whether there is a fragmented file. If it was not fragmented files, the player is to recognize all the files on the card. Otherwise, the player simply did not see the fragmented files.
I agree that the current operating system (Windows 7, MacOS) does not need defragmentation. But you have the player installed not Win7 or  MacOS!!!

Edited by wiser87 - 8/13/13 at 7:45pm
post #3992 of 17128

There was probably a problem with the 'header' of some files missing/corrupted/etc that the program was able to repair. In this case, it would be valid to MAYBE use a defragger. I still wouldn't because the mass majority of defragger programs offered for free come with shareware and other 'toolbar' and hidden instals. And in the end, the defragger didn't defrag anything but rather a repair function that usually follows allong with the defragger repaired the stuff. 

post #3993 of 17128
post #3994 of 17128
Quote:

The thing with defrag however is that in new OS's. Data placement, defragging, automatic cleaup are really all already done the moment you store your file or at pre determined times by the OS. There is little need to actively look for the tool and run it. 

post #3995 of 17128
I'll continue to exercise a wee bit of human intervention, per instructions given by the OS itself.

post #3996 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

I'll continue to exercise a wee bit of human intervention, per instructions given by the OS itself.
 

That is what I meant. That setting you see right there is part of the OS already doing this stuff automatically along with smarter ways it is using to sort your files. 

post #3997 of 17128

Without reading 267 pages, how is the X3 right now?

Plagued with problems, or perfectly fine for just listening?

post #3998 of 17128

Hi. Been following the thread for a bit trying to decide if I want to get an X3 or not. Been reading the problems people have been having with 64gb card and it reminded me I read somewhere (maybe the ipod ssd thread) that people have been having problems cause some cards come shipped with a hidden partition (not sure why). Supposedly when they deleted that partition (gparted should work) everything worked ok. Not sure if that is what the problem is in this case, but it can't hurt to check.

 

About me, right now I got a current gen ipod classic, and an fiio e6 amp running through audeo pfe111s (also have a pair of grado 125s). Any thought about if its worthy to upgrade? How do the different filters sound with the x3? Just got the 111's and still haven't quite decided what ones I like best (listen to a very diverse selection of music - everything from baroque to black metal). I'm wondering if maybe the grey filters might tame the warmness or not.

 

Finally is anyone with a 128gb SD card willing to test out this adapter: http://dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001. (sorry if I'm not supposed to post links). It's only $6US so if it doesn't work if not a big loss. Amazon has a similar one for round $20 or so that seems like its higher quality. If anyone can comfirm that the X3 will work with 128GB I'd be willing to just go that route and tape the adapter to back (for what its worth I've read lots of comments from people using 'em with smart phones, and i think I've seen picture of one stuck to a DX100 (http://www.head-fi.org/t/592076/ibasso-dx100-24-bit-for-bit-pg-1-reviews-impressions-downloads-video-new-firmware-1-4-2/11790#post_9599367).

 

Also, everything I've read about SSDs (I imagine it would apply to SD as well) is that you shouldn't use defrag programs. They only have a certain number of write cycles available before they start to burn out. Sorry if I didn't explain it too well, but as far as I know you shouldn't need to defrag.

 

Cheers.

post #3999 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdafaasda View Post

Without reading 267 pages, how is the X3 right now?

Plagued with problems, or perfectly fine for just listening?

You can go to a local fiio dealership in Toronto and test it out the sound part of it yourself. The best way to measure is just to use your ears.  One of the dealers there has a demo unit (I called and ask). PM me if you can't find the dealer's name and I'll help you out.


Edited by serious7 - 8/13/13 at 8:26pm
post #4000 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScratch View Post

...

 

Obviously this issue isn't related to the compatibility of the player with different 64GB microSDXC cards and I'm quite sure the OS and/or the program used to format the cards doesn't affect it that much. I've checked the lenght of the file names and the file path so I'm sure this mustn't be part of the problem (the longest one is just 122 characters long including the extension). I'm at a loss! confused.gif


Mind you I don't own one, but this is what I have gleened from the forum.  It just simply does not work as expected based on the advertised features and the obvious expectations of the target market..  

 

You can setup your file structure so you can use the library function, or you can setup your file structure so you can browse by album.  But not both.  Moreover, there are some still yet to be fully defined problems with file metadata.

 

So, I continue to wait to buy.  The iBasso DX50 is looking good, and since I just want this for DAT to use with by iBasso DB2 and PB2, and the choice is becoming clearer.

 

According to the owner of the company X3 works just fine for the way music is listened to in China.  No disrespect, but if you want to sell it outside of China maybe you should go to the trouble of beta testing it in those markets.

 

I am not interested in beta testing it after I purchase, only to find out that the hardware wasn't spec'd correctly to support all of the functions that need to be in the GUI.  I would bet that they will either leave it be and it will never work quite right or they will add the features and it will become frustratingly buggy and slow.  I know the cheapest solution is to finish it up and move on to the next unit that is hopefully spec'd correctly.  If it had enough resources the features would be there already.  

 

Anybody can code a program to run on an I7 with 8 gigs of RAM.  I bet the developers are pulling their hair trying to get the OS to perform the file indexing and browsing properly on this underspecd platform.

If I am wrong I will post back here to apologize.

post #4001 of 17128
Win 8 skips SSDs by default. As PM mentioned, defrag is for HDs with spinning platters, not flash memory.
post #4002 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdafaasda View Post

Without reading 267 pages, how is the X3 right now?

Plagued with problems, or perfectly fine for just listening?

You can go to a local fiio dealership in Toronto and test it out the sound part of it yourself. The best way to measure is just to use your ears.  One of the dealers there has a demo unit (I called and ask). PM me if you can't find the dealer's name and I'll help you out.



Sorry, I meant if anyone has faced any issues with the firmware and SD cards. Problems with booting and recognizing cards, etc. Skimming through a few pages, it seems that there were quite a users have encountered some issues, but I don't know if this is true for the majority of users. I'm much less worried about sound quality in a portable setup, though I'm sure it sounds great. I'm buying the X3 for the line-out, DAC chip, and file compatibility.

post #4003 of 17128

Allow me a moment to be the few to put down the X3 for what it isn't great at. (Its pros are mentioned everywhere if u need 1)

To give people a better idea of what DAP they are getting and what's to be sacrificed at that pricing.

 

I've found X3 to pair badly with IEMs in general.

Because of the power of the amp section or some had mentioned, line out is pretty loud.

This means that every step of the volume is quite a big step compared to the ak100/120 or even Neutron app on mobile phones.

It could be due to the dac or amp, either way, it makes driving huge cans well.

 

I've also found that the vocals/midrange are quite forward, making for bad pairings especially for IEM that has forward vocals/mids as well,

gives off a "in your face" kind of effect, however, pair well for laid back cans/iems.

 

3rdly, warm sounding, because so, I've found details to be left out, as well as a more congested soundstage.

 

It seemed ClieOS's mod has addressed these issues in the event u find the sound not well to your liking like I do/ bad pairing with ur current IEM.

But that also means perhaps voiding the warranty by opening it up and modding. 

Additional, an amp can be used thru line out, but kind of defeat the purpose of having a small DAP.

 

Overall, found it value for money, but I didn't think the amp section showed the potential of the player. 

P.S. just my 2cents, overall it just didnt went well with my IEM and others considering the X3 can consider my points.

post #4004 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscular View Post

Allow me a moment to be the few to put down the X3 for what it isn't great at. (Its pros are mentioned everywhere if u need 1)

To give people a better idea of what DAP they are getting and what's to be sacrificed at that pricing.

 

I've found X3 to pair badly with IEMs in general.

Because of the power of the amp section or some had mentioned, line out is pretty loud.

This means that every step of the volume is quite a big step compared to the ak100/120 or even Neutron app on mobile phones.

It could be due to the dac or amp, either way, it makes driving huge cans well.

 

I've also found that the vocals/midrange are quite forward, making for bad pairings especially for IEM that has forward vocals/mids as well,

gives off a "in your face" kind of effect, however, pair well for laid back cans/iems.

 

3rdly, warm sounding, because so, I've found details to be left out, as well as a more congested soundstage.

 

It seemed ClieOS's mod has addressed these issues in the event u find the sound not well to your liking like I do/ bad pairing with ur current IEM.

But that also means perhaps voiding the warranty by opening it up and modding. 

Additional, an amp can be used thru line out, but kind of defeat the purpose of having a small DAP.

 

Overall, found it value for money, but I didn't think the amp section showed the potential of the player. 

P.S. just my 2cents, overall it just didnt went well with my IEM and others considering the X3 can consider my points.

If the amplifier used is one of the amps made for IEM/CIEM's specifically(Heir Rendition for example), then the FiiO's line out should not be an issue

 

The forward quality of the X3 does not mean it is only a problem with forward IEM's. Some headphones with already very present forward vocals and upper mids may also be at a disadvantage with the X3(not always).

 

Really, for the 3 things you just mentioned, they are general qualites any IEM could or could not have and any headphone could or could not have with pairings that may not work.

 

So rather than saying X3 doesn't work with IEM's, it would be more accurate to say,

 

Mr. Example
X3 does not work with IEM ____ because IEM____ has present forward vocals and is a unit specializing in detail that the X3 will thus work counter intuitively in. Amp___ being used with IEM ___ does not pair well with the X3 as the X3 inputs a bit too much to the amp. So I guess I'll find another amp that works more specifically for IEMs or made for low driving and volume blanacing at low levels.
 
However The X3 works well with another IEM of mine because it adds a bit of warmth to it that makes songs more enjoyable, my IEM is not sensitive so the X3 has no issue with it, and the forwardness of the X3 compliments it.

 

 

And yes, an external amp does make the small DAP a bit counter intuitive for some but hey, this is Head-fi. Where it is common for users to buy stuff that defeats the purpose of everything else they buy with uber FLAC's jammed into their phones while using their $50 earphones with a $300 amp paired with another amp. 
post #4005 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscular View Post

Allow me a moment to be the few to put down the X3 for what it isn't great at. (Its pros are mentioned everywhere if u need 1)
To give people a better idea of what DAP they are getting and what's to be sacrificed at that pricing.

I've found X3 to pair badly with IEMs in general.
Because of the power of the amp section or some had mentioned, line out is pretty loud.
This means that every step of the volume is quite a big step compared to the ak100/120 or even Neutron app on mobile phones.
It could be due to the dac or amp, either way, it makes driving huge cans well.

I've also found that the vocals/midrange are quite forward, making for bad pairings especially for IEM that has forward vocals/mids as well,
gives off a "in your face" kind of effect, however, pair well for laid back cans/iems.

3rdly, warm sounding, because so, I've found details to be left out, as well as a more congested soundstage.

It seemed ClieOS's mod has addressed these issues in the event u find the sound not well to your liking like I do/ bad pairing with ur current IEM.
But that also means perhaps voiding the warranty by opening it up and modding. 
Additional, an amp can be used thru line out, but kind of defeat the purpose of having a small DAP.

Overall, found it value for money, but I didn't think the amp section showed the potential of the player. 
P.S. just my 2cents, overall it just didnt went well with my IEM and others considering the X3 can consider my points.

Well I think you are wrong in generalizing that X3 pairs badly with IEMs. No idea what you are using, but it pairs great with my V6 and few others.
And I don't find it too forward either in vocals.
The C3 is more forward than the X3.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.