or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 242

post #3616 of 17128
I have been watching this thread closely because the idea of a DAP with coax digital out seemed to be exactly what I needed.  Now I am waiting to buy one because it seems to be quite the unfinished product.  I noticed the majority of the recent replies deal not with the way it sounds but with failure of the OS to hand a file system as might be expected.
 
So I wnat to put 7000 flac files on a 64GB card.  The files structure is:
 
A \ Asia \ Asia \ 01 - Heat of the Moment.flac
                       \ 02 - Only Time Will Tell.flac
 
  \ Allen Parsons Project \ Tales of Mystery and Imagination \ 01 - A Dream Within a Dream.flac
                                                                                       \ 02 - The Raven.flac
   
W \ The Who \ Who's Next \ 01 - Baba O'Riley.flac
                                        \ 02 - Bargain
 
            \ Tommy \ Disk 01 \ 01 - Overture.flac
                                        \ 02 - It's a Boy.flac  
 
                           \ Disk 02 \ 01 - Do You Think It's Alright.flac
                                          \ 02 - Fiddle About.flac 
                               
It doesn't matter why it does or doesn't work.  It doesn't matter why it was designed to work or not work.  It doesn't matter if it's a big company or small company.  It doesn't matter if it's made in China or made in Korea.  It doesn't matter if it has a lot or little RAM or a big or little processor.

 

Simple question.  Will the X3 work with my collection or not?

post #3617 of 17128

I find the fiio sound quality to be better than a rockboxed zip.  And for people who say that it's darker/warmer?  I don't think so.  I usually have to eq out the midbass on my zip and nano (using jh16 pro), but for the X3 I don't need to.  Also the x3 to me isn't bass heavy at default, it sounds neutral and just really good.  The bass is really tight and controlled, perhaps a bit too much because I'm used to the clip zip bass.  Also the vocals sound alot better on the x3.

 

I do wish for it to be rockboxed though so I can see if I can get more bass out of it.

post #3618 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by msromike View Post

I have been watching this thread closely because the idea of a DAP with coax digital out seemed to be exactly what I needed.  Now I am waiting to buy one because it seems to be quite the unfinished product.  I noticed the majority of the recent replies deal not with the way it sounds but with failure of the OS to hand a file system as might be expected.
 
So I wnat to put 7000 flac files on a 64GB card.  The files structure is:
 
A \ Asia \ Asia \ 01 - Heat of the Moment.flac
                       \ 02 - Only Time Will Tell.flac
 
  \ Allen Parsons Project \ Tales of Mystery and Imagination \ 01 - A Dream Within a Dream.flac
                                                                                       \ 02 - The Raven.flac
   
W \ The Who \ Who's Next \ 01 - Baba O'Riley.flac
                                        \ 02 - Bargain
 
            \ Tommy \ Disk 01 \ 01 - Overture.flac
                                        \ 02 - It's a Boy.flac  
 
                           \ Disk 02 \ 01 - Do You Think It's Alright.flac
                                          \ 02 - Fiddle About.flac 
                               
It doesn't matter why it does or doesn't work.  It doesn't matter why it was designed to work or not work.  It doesn't matter if it's a big company or small company.  It doesn't matter if it's made in China or made in Korea.  It doesn't matter if it has a lot or little RAM or a big or little processor.

 

Simple question.  Will the X3 work with my collection or not?

 

So far I haven't seen posts of anyone other than phlashbios and I experimenting with this 64GB card issue. I would also like to hear more from other people. I think it's worth discussing about it now, because Fiio is so far proven to listen closely to us users, and they maybe able to fix the issue completely with a future firmware update etc.

 

In my case all my files are FLAC, and it did not work with the folder structure like you described if I had more than around 30GB of songs. It only worked when I have all the FLAC files in one folder with no subfolders.

 

In my case the indexing never completed. The problem with phlashbios was that his one the index completed but it did not capture all the song files. We need to know if the problem is related to the physical size (in GB) or the number of files, or the folder structure, or something else.

 

Remember that what you describe as your aim of 7000 songs all in FLAC would be something like 2-300GB total, if each song is on average 3 minutes long at 44.1kHz/16bit. You probably physically can't put that many FLAC songs into a 64GB card.


Edited by sandalaudio - 8/7/13 at 3:20pm
post #3619 of 17128

I received mine today, wohoo!

 

I've tried a quick comparision:

... sorry for the ****ty photo...

 

The MMMs really came in handy! FiiO X3's headphone out in the left cup, FiiO X3 coax + Bifrost + G109 in the right one. I only had to pull a cable in&out a socket to compare the setup! biggrin.gif

I'm positively surprised, it sounds really good for a DAP (and for the price, too). It's too damn hot here, it took me just a couple of minutes to really hate the easily overheated pads of my cans (I'm only using the PortaPros these days and sometimes I happen to use the h/k CLs under the air conditioner).

 

 

Since I'm having some problems with the unit not indexing all the SD content (1,5 GB free space on a 64GB card), I'm transferring all the songs in one folder to see if I can get it sorted out. Even my old MP3s don't show up in the Play All/Artist/Genre/Album sections, so I really wish this trick will put my music back in place in the Browse section. The majority of my collection is in m4a format (AAC and ALAC), so no tag love for me anyway. :(


Edited by MrScratch - 8/7/13 at 3:33pm
post #3620 of 17128
Aha, there's Mrscratch with the same issue I am experiencing and that sandalaudio was experiencing before his workaround. Def looks like a firmware issue for Fiio to fix.
post #3621 of 17128

Anyone have a good place to buy a higher quality version of the Coax to Rca cable for coax out that comes with the X3?
 

post #3622 of 17128

Not sure if others have had this issue, but I've experienced some issues with the X3 playing some hi-res FLAC files from HDTracks that plays without issue on other players.  "Let it Flow" from Grover Washington Jr's "Winelight" (24/192) skips to the next track after a short time. The newly released Foreigner "Head Games" (24/96) even causes the X3 to freeze, necessitating a reset.

post #3623 of 17128

Uhh..I know I'm new here but I seem to recall having the same issue as well..LOL

post #3624 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelrt View Post

Anyone have a good place to buy a higher quality version of the Coax to Rca cable for coax out that comes with the X3?
 

 

S/PDIF Coax uses the same connector as RCA. What you want is a shielded RCA-RCA cable designed for digital signal. But if the distance is short (* a feet or two), even normal RCA cable will work.

post #3625 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelrt View Post

Anyone have a good place to buy a higher quality version of the Coax to Rca cable for coax out that comes with the X3?

 

perhaps you should take about 20 bucks out of your audiophool budget and buy a multimeter and run some tests on your cables.
post #3626 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

S/PDIF Coax uses the same connector as RCA. What you want is a shielded RCA-RCA cable designed for digital signal. But if the distance is short (* a feet or two), even normal RCA cable will work.

No I am talking about the adapter cable that came with the X3, it has a 1/8 mono plug on one side and a female RCA on the other side. I would like to pick up a more robust version with better shielding. I have a shielded RCA to RCA to connect to it.

post #3627 of 17128
In my FiiO X3 installed microSD Lexar 64GB. Works fine. Currently stored on microSD nearly 3,000 music files. All files FiiO X3 recognized. But all the files located in the folder Music, without additional folders.
Noticed that people are having problems with indexing, in which a deep folder structure (Artist \ Album \ Tracks).
I have a suggestion why this problem occurs.
Most likely, programmers FiiO, used in the firmware some string variable with a certain limited number of characters. This variable is passed to the full path to the music file.
For example, the string variable "PATH" with 100 characters long. This variable is passed to the file path ("A \ Allen Parsons Project \ Tales of Mystery and Imagination \ 01 - A Dream Within a Dream.flac"). If the path length is less than 100 characters, the file is added to the library. If the path length is greater than 100 characters, the file is not indexed.
In the example, I have a variable length of 100 characters. But in fact, it may be different length.
If this is the case, it is clear why there is no problem for me, since all my files are in the folder Music.
Maybe James will consult on this matter with the programmers.
post #3628 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiser87 View Post

In my FiiO X3 installed microSD Lexar 64GB. Works fine. Currently stored on microSD nearly 3,000 music files. All files FiiO X3 recognized. But all the files located in the folder Music, without additional folders.
Noticed that people are having problems with indexing, in which a deep folder structure (Artist \ Album \ Tracks).
I have a suggestion why this problem occurs.
Most likely, programmers FiiO, used in the firmware some string variable with a certain limited number of characters. This variable is passed to the full path to the music file.
For example, the string variable "PATH" with 100 characters long. This variable is passed to the file path ("A \ Allen Parsons Project \ Tales of Mystery and Imagination \ 01 - A Dream Within a Dream.flac"). If the path length is less than 100 characters, the file is added to the library. If the path length is greater than 100 characters, the file is not indexed.
In the example, I have a variable length of 100 characters. But in fact, it may be different length.
If this is the case, it is clear why there is no problem for me, since all my files are in the folder Music.
Maybe James will consult on this matter with the programmers.

It's good that you're helping on finding a possible cause, but it was already said that the PATH length can be as great as 256 characters.

I think it's possible that the index file can't complete a full scan due to amount of RAM used on the device.
post #3629 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlashbios View Post

Aha, there's Mrscratch with the same issue I am experiencing and that sandalaudio was experiencing before his workaround. Def looks like a firmware issue for Fiio to fix.

It seems that X3 poses limitation on amount of songs and/or folders. Not a good news for me either, as I have three 64GB cards completely filled with LAME V0 VBR mp3s (I probably have more songs / folders per card than phlashbios). I cannot use flac (I heard no difference anyway) as my flac library is 3000GB big and even my most favorite flac songs will take over 200GB.

James, please resolve the issue with firmware update.
post #3630 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelrt View Post

No I am talking about the adapter cable that came with the X3, it has a 1/8 mono plug on one side and a female RCA on the other side. I would like to pick up a more robust version with better shielding. I have a shielded RCA to RCA to connect to it.

 

Hi there I got above cable from Jaben Hong Kong, maybe you can ask your local cable specialist to customize one for you.

 

3.5mm to X3

 

The other end goes to iBasso DB2

 

May I know the portable DAC that you are planning to use?

 

Since more and more members have received their X3 already, it will be interesting to see the different setups that they are using...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.