or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 188

post #2806 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post

I listen to FLAC and APE, pretty sure many Head-fier have a library full of 24/192s too. Besides, this is a thread for the Fiio X3, how'd Hifiman get into the conversation?

I guess I'm just jealous, or maybe pissed cause we need a cheap and High fidelity DAP, I guess some chinese manufacturers are greedy too.  

 

I can audition the X3 in a month, but I'm not sure I will be amazed with it, like I was with E11 at $50, and now X3 is $230. Most reviews of the X3 are not using a lot of WOW factor like when it's a really outstanding product, FiiO got people too excited and their expectations were too high.   Now everyone who has it on that forum is getting away with the phrase, "it's good for the money", and that's it, not too much excitement there and the product isn't even out yet.  


Edited by Guest5 - 7/10/13 at 2:22am
post #2807 of 17129
I think we should hold off judgement until a few more users have shared their listening impressions. It seems like for 200$, the X3 is a pretty good buy.
post #2808 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest5 View Post

 

I didn't say I was certain of anything. I just believe that HiFiMan is ripping people off because they think have no competition. They buy people with high technology, double DACs and stuff like switchable amps, only to make people believe/placebo  that this is the ultmate sounding DAP, when infact it's most likely not if we take into accout that most of us listen to 16/44.1 Khz audiorecordings/music, and not 24/192 when we coudl actually have those new impressions. It's like buying a spaceship to fly on earth with it. 


blahblahblah haven't heard it yet,  they're ripping people off blahblahblah

 

 

 

 

 

Is this the norm nowadays around here?

post #2809 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by laon View Post


blahblahblah haven't heard it yet,  they're ripping people off blahblahblah





Is this the norm nowadays around here?

No really, but people do occasionally get sidetracked
post #2810 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exesteils View Post

I do believe X3 never claimed to be a Hi-fi player. Just one that does plenty of things right, ie playback, sound quality, portability, etc.

As with many things in this hobby, you have to hear it for yourself to truly know what works best for you. While I like the C3, I prefer a certain warmth in my music, which is why I went back to iPods. Again, personal preference plays a large part in this, so your best bet is to try them out yourself.

Between Fiio X3 and Colorfly C3, which one do you think towards HiFi DAP?
post #2811 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest5 View Post

There was a review on head-fi for the x3 called "Hi-Fi, low price". So I guess we don't even expect it to have that high fidelity sound. I already have a good sounding player which is Sansa ZIP, even if X3 is an upgrade, it can't be crucial which is what need. I think I'll wait for the X5 and see how that will go. And $200+ is infact a lot of money in my opinion, what apple does is called money for the brand we all know that,  sound is average, no better, or worse than a Sansa clip.

  I remember the old SONY D311 Discman, model from 1992, I still have it, the european version, so small and yet so amazingly rich and true Hi-Fi. I don't know how it does it, but it is a portable Hi-Fi cd player, Etymotic ER4S sounds amazing with it. And it has a SNR of like -95db, a lot of vintage standalone players too have had no more than that and it was true Hi-Fi, sound that sounds like it's REAL in your head. How come today a brand like HiFiMan charges $1000 for a DAP that likely has no better sound than a Discman D311, maybe it's cleaner on paper, but as for subjective SQ I doubt it is any better sounding.  Most likely has a modern digital sound sig to it that many people cannot stand, they prefer smooth and warm old school Hi-Fi. 
What is the important characteristics for DAP to be categorized as HiFi DAP?
post #2812 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalpha11 View Post


What is the important characteristics for DAP to be categorized as HiFi DAP?

popcorn.gif

post #2813 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

popcorn.gif

deadhorse.gif

post #2814 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalpha11 View Post

deadhorse.gif

blink.gifconfused.gifconfused_face(1).gif

post #2815 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalpha11 View Post


What is the important characteristics for DAP to be categorized as HiFi DAP?

 

I don't know exactly the benchmark numbers. probably numbers like an E-MU1212m has, that card is a Hi-Fi DAC, but with a narrow soundstage. To me Hi-Fi creates a believable image, High Stereo Effect, or whatever. We know Sansa Clip sounds good right? But that is with average headphones and amp. I connected the ZIP to my standalone amp which is connected to a pair of  vintage Hi-Fi speakers from Snell Acoustics. While through RE400 the sound of the ZIP is great, the soundstage/separation is kinda bad, but overall sound is good, you can't see the flaws. Through Hi-Fi speakers it all changes, you start seeing there's no extension to the sound, it sounds as if it was cut and half of the sound is not there, it doesn't sound as if the singer is in front of you. If I connect the desktop DAC  wow it's like night and day, the soundstage comes to life. This is what  Hi-Fi is and this is how a DAP should sound. Hence I even thought of buying some new IEMs for the X3, if I'll like how it sounds.

 Chinese manufacturers have given us hope that we can get great sound for little money. So far this seems to me it's a delusion, still a dream.  


Edited by Guest5 - 7/10/13 at 9:43am
post #2816 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalpha11 View Post

I guess many of head-fiers in this thread have already owned Fiio X3.

Just curious how is the SQ between Fiio X3 and Colorfly C3  with/without C&C BH?

Please share your listening experience.

 

Eagerly awaiting this comparison!

post #2817 of 17129

I hate the idea to claim X3 is hifi DAP by ourself, it sounds like someone say I am a rich man.

 

some may think consumer electronics  means cheap, and hifi means expensive and hi end means very very cheap. lol, just my 2 cents

post #2818 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest5 View Post

There was a review on head-fi for the x3 called "Hi-Fi, low price". So I guess we don't even expect it to have that high fidelity sound. I already have a good sounding player which is Sansa ZIP, even if X3 is an upgrade, it can't be crucial which is what need. I think I'll wait for the X5 and see how that will go. And $200+ is infact a lot of money in my opinion, what apple does is called money for the brand we all know that,  sound is average, no better, or worse than a Sansa clip.

 

  I remember the old SONY D311 Discman, model from 1992, I still have it, the european version, so small and yet so amazingly rich and true Hi-Fi. I don't know how it does it, but it is a portable Hi-Fi cd player, Etymotic ER4S sounds amazing with it. And it has a SNR of like -95db, a lot of vintage standalone players too have had no more than that and it was true Hi-Fi, sound that sounds like it's REAL in your head. How come today a brand like HiFiMan charges $1000 for a DAP that likely has no better sound than a Discman D311, maybe it's cleaner on paper, but as for subjective SQ I doubt it is any better sounding.  Most likely has a modern digital sound sig to it that many people cannot stand, they prefer smooth and warm old school Hi-Fi. 

A blast from the past!!  I love the D311.  Glad someone still think very highly of it.  Yes, those legendary PCDPs still have better sound compared to highend DAPs.  The D311 was very special in its day, sadly I don't like spinning silver disc any more either.  

post #2819 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post

I hate the idea to claim X3 is hifi DAP by ourself, it sounds like someone say I am a rich man.

some may think consumer electronics  means cheap, and hifi means expensive and hi end means very very cheap. lol, just my 2 cents

Hifi is defined as high fidelity. If a very high percentage of the source signal is preserved and accurately reproduced it is high dfidelity. Various measurements show that and I think fiio has no problems showing other measurements to back this. Thus, fiio x3 us a hifi DAP.

What guest5 is talking about is enjoying one sou d note than another. Post some measurements of each and objectively quantify what is being talked about, otherwise continue ue using whatever works for your ears. But understand that you are sharing an opinion.

Edit: for the record, the objective. 2 measures great and at the end of the day I'm not really a fan of how it sounds.
Edited by shrimants - 7/10/13 at 10:33am
post #2820 of 17129

This site is listing the X3 for preorder but I don't see them on FiiO's list of official retailers--can they be trusted?

 

http://www.mp4nation.net/fiio-x3-24-192-hifi-digital-audio-player-free-fedex-2-day-to-select-destination

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.