or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 139

post #2071 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoexec View Post

...

Hello ClieOS, I remember you have Nationite N2? or Cube C30 maybe? Is there by any chance you can compare it to the X3? The N2 is still my current best portable when it comes to SQ, I wonder how the X3 compares to it. Thank you.

 

N2 / C30 is good for its size, better sounding than Clip+ with more higher output. While it is great in its own right, I don't think it is near the same play field of X3. The only thing I think C30 has the upper hand is BBE and a brighter presentation. X3 might sound a bit warm to some due to the duller sounding AD8397. I am think of swapping it out with an AD8620 (OPA2209 would also be nice) and that should really bring the most out of it.

post #2072 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki14 View Post

 

Like I mentioned above, I find no BBE on Cowon's pretty much defeats the point using them.  0 is like the sound back in the 80's from cassette tapes and $5 earphones or AM radio.  Atleast 1-4 is what I recommend, but if it's disliked, then I don't see a point using Cowon's.

 

Although it does screw up the imaging accuracy, I tend to gently use:

 

'3D Surround' at level 1 (above Level 1, it just sounds out-of-phase)

MP Enhance =  'On'

Stereo Enhance = Level 2

 

and no other DSP enhancements.

 

The simple reason why I use only the above settings on the J3 (even though they slightly screw up the imaging accuracy) is that they make the overall sound more expansive and less fatiguing than the bland 'inside your head' presentation without this. As for BBE itself, I find it makes the J3 sound totally uneven in freq response, and really fatiguing. It makes the sound 'abrasive', like listening to audio that has been deliberately dynamically-compressed for the purposes of radio transmission. Frankly, I find the 'BBE' setting a total joke and can't believe it has been sold/licensed for such outrageous sums since its inception, years ago. But the other settings included within the overall BBE suite on the J3, I do like, used at minimal levels, as described above.

 

Anyway, the DX100 has a fabulous expansive sound without any DSP, and I'm hopeful that the X3 (and particularly the X5) may manage some of the expansiveness of the DX100 without needing to rely upon DSP. I think James made the right decision to not spend big bucks on licensing the BBE suite for the X3/X5 DAPs. Just give us well-designed audio hardware that sounds inherently good, rather than relying upon a DSP band-aid to liven-up bland sound.

post #2073 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki14 View Post

 

Like I mentioned above, I find no BBE on Cowon's pretty much defeats the point using them.  0 is like the sound back in the 80's from cassette tapes and $5 earphones or AM radio.  Atleast 1-4 is what I recommend, but if it's disliked, then I don't see a point using Cowon's.


Have you tried a dynamic driver with the J3? I use the GR07 with mine and it sounds damn good to me on the normal/flat setting. Quality recordings help, of course. I don't think it's enough to use lossless - stuff that's well-mastered and recorded really shines with my setup. You probably already know this, though...really for the noobs.

post #2074 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

I'm more interested in X5 than X3.

James, can you confirm if X5 will have alloy casing?  I recall you saying it will have your best build quality - does that mean alloy casing..?

Thanks for continuing to engage with us here on Head-fi, I really appreciate it.
YES
post #2075 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki14 View Post

Like I mentioned above, I find no BBE on Cowon's pretty much defeats the point using them.  0 is like the sound back in the 80's from cassette tapes and $5 earphones or AM radio.  Atleast 1-4 is what I recommend, but if it's disliked, then I don't see a point using Cowon's.
My point of buying a J3 was because of the ultimate battery life, expandable/swappable memory, and decent touch screen response. Hoping that it should sound good since it has a Wolfson DAC, I took the bait. Obviously I was wrong. But hey, cassette tapes are exaggerating alot they don't sound that bad, they just seriously lack dynamics but transparency and clarity is still there. :P
Anyway, thanks for the suggestion of iPods. I agree with you, while I still have my iPod Touch 4th gen I remember it being more lively than J3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

N2 / C30 is good for its size, better sounding than Clip+ with more higher output. While it is great in its own right, I don't think it is near the same play field of X3. The only thing I think C30 has the upper hand is BBE and a brighter presentation. X3 might sound a bit warm to some due to the duller sounding AD8397. I am think of swapping it out with an AD8620 (OPA2209 would also be nice) and that should really bring the most out of it.
This made my day! Thank you very much. smily_headphones1.gif I agree with you that the N2 is bright, my MX980 gets sibilant with it in some songs. The slight warmness of the X3 might be just what I need! biggrin.gif
Edited by autoexec - 6/24/13 at 8:11am
post #2076 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post


Have you tried a dynamic driver with the J3? I use the GR07 with mine and it sounds damn good to me on the normal/flat setting. Quality recordings help, of course. I don't think it's enough to use lossless - stuff that's well-mastered and recorded really shines with my setup. You probably already know this, though...really for the noobs.
It's the GR07 that made me curse my J3. It was doing fine with my very easy to drive 'phones (MX 980, GR06, some brainwavz iems etc.) but then GR07 came and it sounded alot dull compared to the Nationite N2. Sorry for the OT..
post #2077 of 17125
J3 :/ other than the battery life, that thing was some schiit. The bbe and other crappy dsp settings only messed up the sound even more (ruining transparency and adding a very fake feel). That bbe crap was only put there to cover up the fact that it really doesn't sound that good at all, all the hype led me to buy it, now know otherwise... A good source should sound excellent without having to use crap dsp settings to cover up the sources inabilities.
post #2078 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

J3 :/ other than the battery life, that thing was some schiit. The bbe and other crappy dsp settings only messed up the sound even more (ruining transparency and adding a very fake feel). That bbe crap was only put there to cover up the fact that it really doesn't sound that good at all, all the hype led me to buy it, now know otherwise... A good source should sound excellent without having to use crap dsp settings to cover up the sources inabilities.

 

Ooh...

 

I already expressed enough of my thoughts on Cowons and mentioned what I use now is much better without any EQ etc, but anyway, we should stop on the J3 bashing on the X3 thread now.  Off topic.

post #2079 of 17125

Lovin the X3, Been using a Cowon D2 with SE530s and been happy, but SE530 with the X3 is like totally different earphones, well chuffed. Cant be bothered with mp3/amp combo cause of bein clumsy and ugly now, so the X3 for me is exactly what i was waiting for, great price, great powerfull sound,    cheers Fiio, roll on the X5 etysmile.gif
 

post #2080 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by snedanator View Post

Lovin the X3, Been using a Cowon D2 with SE530s and been happy, but SE530 with the X3 is like totally different earphones, well chuffed. Cant be bothered with mp3/amp combo cause of bein clumsy and ugly now, so the X3 for me is exactly what i was waiting for, great price, great powerfull sound,    cheers Fiio, roll on the X5 etysmile.gif

 

 

"Fiio's CEO (Headfi user: JamesFiio) said within his group that if X5 fails to hit market by end of 2013, he/she would do a nude run on street."

 

he/she ROCKS !

 

biggrin.gif


Edited by Silverprout - 6/24/13 at 11:56am
post #2081 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverprout View Post

 

"Fiio's CEO (Headfi user: JamesFiio) said within his group that if X5 fails to hit market by end of 2013, he/she would do a nude run on street."

 

he/she ROCKS !

 

biggrin.gif

James is name for a male therefore you should say he biggrin.gif I agree he rocks, he is such an awesome guy who always communicate with us and listen to us and try to help us by solving the issues and problems while being honest.

post #2082 of 17125

Been listening to the X3 for the last few hours, I do like what I hear.

post #2083 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberOzL View Post

James is name for a male therefore you should say he biggrin.gif I agree he rocks, he is such an awesome guy who always communicate with us and listen to us and try to help us by solving the issues and problems while being honest.

There have been female James in the past I'm sure.

 

But I can personally attest to the fact that James is a male. 

post #2084 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

There have been female James in the past I'm sure.

 

But I can personally attest to the fact that James is a male. 

James as a female name? First I heard it honestly. I don't think James is an unisex name but of course if you say there have been I am not going to deny it.

post #2085 of 17125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

Been listening to the X3 for the last few hours, I do like what I hear.

ok, now you know what to do. just do it already! biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.