Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 118

post #1756 of 17216

I'm throwing cash on my computer and nothing is happening. I'm in North America. Where do I buy this. 

post #1757 of 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Some people here do place sound above all else, true. But I am accustomed to a certain level of usability.... there are some things about the C3 that would drive me mad if I owned it.

For one, it sorts your files by the date they were added to the player, and not alphabetically.... For another, a player that size should have a screen a little bigger than that.....it's like a Clip+ screen, for crying out loud. The folder browse-only method is also a fail for me....all my music is tagged properly, but not every file in every album is numbered 01, 02, 03. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

My Pioneer car stereo head unit does that with flash drives. It does drive me insane. LOL

There is a nice little freeware utility for that, I have posted links in the C3 thread numerous times. You load the drive, hit sort and write it back out. Less than 30 seconds all the files are sorted alphabetically, it's a really minor issue.

 

And I have always tagged my tracks with the track number first since day one and the first incantations of iTunes... One thing that iTunes did teach me was to be very OCD about tags... biggrin.gif

If you need a link to that sort utility @cel4145 have a quick search through the C3 thread ("Drive Sort") or let me know and I'll post it for you.

 

Remember Folks!

Will save you a world of foolishness down the road.

beerchug.gif

post #1758 of 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post

Which Walkman do you have?  I've been quite pleased with my F807 & Z1070.  Unless you need the ability to play hi-rez file, these top of the lines Sony have a really good headphones output.  The F807 that I have + JH13pro is only slight drop in quality from the DX100 playing MP3s or lossless redbook files.

I have the NWZ-S755 Walkman,i thought the F series can play FLAC files? How much is the F807 that you bought and from where?

post #1759 of 17216

So since this device has 10 hours of battery life, it will go through a lot of charge cycles REALLY quickly. The life span of the battery probably will not be very long. How can one replace the battery of the device once it starts to die? 

post #1760 of 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious7 View Post

So since this device has 10 hours of battery life, it will go through a lot of charge cycles REALLY quickly. The life span of the battery probably will not be very long. How can one replace the battery of the device once it starts to die? 

 

Quote:
10 hours in Engineer sample and may reach 12-15 hours when the firmware is optimized 

You can take the screws off and dis-assemble most FiiO's very easily and replace the battery that way.

 

However I do not know if the X3 is also very easy to take apart. I'm pretty sure I saw screws on it.

 

So when the battery starts to die after three years. You buy a battery from FiiO and you solder it on yourself or ask an expert or any friend that has even the most basic soldering skill to do it.

post #1761 of 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious7 View Post

So since this device has 10 hours of battery life, it will go through a lot of charge cycles REALLY quickly. The life span of the battery probably will not be very long. How can one replace the battery of the device once it starts to die? 

I believe James said that you could send it back to them for a battery replacement.

post #1762 of 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

 

You can take the screws off and dis-assemble most FiiO's very easily and replace the battery that way.

 

However I do not know if the X3 is also very easy to take apart. I'm pretty sure I saw screws on it.

 

So when the battery starts to die after three years. You buy a battery from FiiO and you solder it on yourself or ask an expert or any friend that has even the most basic soldering skill to do it.

It's actually SOLDERED on? WTF? I doubt it will last 3 years with such a small battery life span.... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

I believe James said that you could send it back to them for a battery replacement.

This is probably a deal breaker if I have to send a unit back for battery replacement...

post #1763 of 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious7 View Post

It's actually SOLDERED on? WTF? I doubt it will last 3 years with such a small battery life span.... 

This is probably a deal breaker if I have to send a unit back for battery replacement...

A mass majority of things electronic these days use soldered points.

 

Sorry for the confusion. From the look of the pictures and how FiiO's previous devices were.

 

ONLY THE CONTACTS (two wires) are soldered to the main PCB. 

 

Of course this is from what I could tell. The E12, E17 and all the other FiiO's do this. And the picture of the interanls of the X3 don't show me any different. 

 

So yeah, solder the two wires leading from the battery to the PCB and voila. takes a few seconds with a soldering iron.

post #1764 of 17216
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious7 View Post

It's actually SOLDERED on? WTF? I doubt it will last 3 years with such a small battery life span.... 

This is probably a deal breaker if I have to send a unit back for battery replacement...

 

The clip+'s battery is soldered on, yet I can replace it in 2 minutes. It's just a matter of buying a $10 soldering iron, heating up the joint enough to remove the wires, and heating it up again to replace the two wires.

 

It's not that serious. Calm down.

post #1765 of 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

The clip+'s battery is soldered on, yet I can replace it in 2 minutes. It's just a matter of buying a $10 soldering iron, heating up the joint enough to remove the wires, and heating it up again to replace the two wires.

 

It's not that serious. Calm down.

I thought he was confusing the two contacts being soldered on with a whole battery actually physically and near totally connected to the PCB. 

 

But never the less. Batteries soldered on in terms of the contact areas are what are used in the mass majority if not nearly all products like this.

post #1766 of 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

I thought he was confusing the two contacts being soldered on with a whole battery actually physically and near totally connected to the PCB. 

 

But never the less. Batteries soldered on in terms of the contact areas are what are used in the mass majority if not nearly all products like this.

Yea I thought the whole battery was soldered on haha. Nvm. I don't understand why manufacturers just don't allow the batteries to be replaceable (ex, c&c bh2 amplifier). 

post #1767 of 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious7 View Post

Yea I thought the whole battery was soldered on haha. Nvm. I don't understand why manufacturers just don't allow the batteries to be replaceable (ex, c&c bh2 amplifier). 

Just the two contacts UNLESS FiiO says otherwise. However pics, and what they have done in the past tell otherwise.

 

Why not replaceable?

 

Well looks

Space

Cost

Battery life

 

The seperation of the battery leads to it not looking as whole. FiiO's units all have very smooth looking surfaces and what not.

The X3 is already jamming in as much space as it can. Replaceable batteries enclosures, contacts and everything cost more, decrease the size of the battery and what not. And need to be built to safety specs.

 

The 12 approx hours from the standpoint of most people is just enough to be tolerable. Battery banks are often used by enthusiasts anyway. 

post #1768 of 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Just the two contacts UNLESS FiiO says otherwise. However pics, and what they have done in the past tell otherwise.

 

Why not replaceable?

 

Well looks

Space

Cost

Battery life

 

The seperation of the battery leads to it not looking as whole. FiiO's units all have very smooth looking surfaces and what not.

The X3 is already jamming in as much space as it can. Replaceable batteries enclosures, contacts and everything cost more, decrease the size of the battery and what not. And need to be built to safety specs.

 

The 12 approx hours from the standpoint of most people is just enough to be tolerable. Battery banks are often used by enthusiasts anyway. 

 

Interesting. On that note, why do most Android phones not have soldered batteries then? lol. -.- 

post #1769 of 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious7 View Post

 

Interesting. On that note, why do most Android phones not have soldered batteries then? lol. -.- 

Because there is no need for it.

 

The smartphone generation of 4G LTE, HSPA+, OLED screens, uber brightness, high screen density, dual to quad core processing, and ultra slim phones have meant that smartphones have once again changed what people expect in it.

 

Meaning that people have once again been changed to expect to charge their phone once a day. That's just it. People charge their phones at night. DAP's are different, and most don't charge for days with their current iPods.

 

And then we move into the fact that those smartphones are innovative marvels costing $500+ without contract. Not to mention millions are sold. Batteries are some of the most common issues with phones besides screens breaking. DAPs, amps and all these things from what I've seen don't have as huge a problem with batteries as they aren't in use and charged and recharged 7 times a week. And so a user replaceable battery saves them millions a year while still playing well in their favor. They also already have a well developed battery enclosure and connector to maximize battery life. 

 

So basically the biggest things are that:

We are conditioned to charge the smartphones once a day

They make money from not replacing batteries themselves and by selling them.

They are veterans in desigining battery enclosures that pass safety tests enough to maximize the battery inside.

post #1770 of 17216
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

Because there is no need for it.

 

The smartphone generation of 4G LTE, HSPA+, OLED screens, uber brightness, high screen density, dual to quad core processing, and ultra slim phones have meant that smartphones have once again changed what people expect in it.

 

Meaning that people have once again been changed to expect to charge their phone once a day. That's just it. People charge their phones at night. DAP's are different, and most don't charge for days with their current iPods.

 

And then we move into the fact that those smartphones are innovative marvels costing $500+ without contract. Not to mention millions are sold. Batteries are some of the most common issues with phones besides screens breaking. DAPs, amps and all these things from what I've seen don't have as huge a problem with batteries as they aren't in use and charged and recharged 7 times a week. And so a user replaceable battery saves them millions a year while still playing well in their favor. They also already have a well developed battery enclosure and connector to maximize battery life. 

 

So basically the biggest things are that:

We are conditioned to charge the smartphones once a day

They make money from not replacing batteries themselves and by selling them.

They are veterans in desigining battery enclosures that pass safety tests enough to maximize the battery inside.

Thoughtful information. Thanks for the detailed responses. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.