So I got less lazy and repeated troubleshooting one by one with testing after.
- reloaded the firmware
- formatted the card with the X3
- reloaded the files on the SD
- refreshed the media library
- replaced the adata 64GB SDXC card with another and tried it all again - this fixed it
Seems it was the Adata SD card that crapped the bed. Wish I checked that first.
Thanks for the input folks. I'll be less lazy before posting next time
This description matches what I was seeing. Maybe your SD card has also soiled itself.
I'm not slamming any manufacturers, but I've read about more than one issue with Adata cards. On the other hand some people love them. Go figure.