Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 780

post #11686 of 12942

Well, I might be getting rid of my X3 soon.  I just bought a used X5 for $225 shipped from a well rated seller on Amazon.  Here's hoping I'm happy with the purchase!

post #11687 of 12942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post
 

Well, I might be getting rid of my X3 soon.  I just bought a used X5 for $225 shipped from a well rated seller on Amazon.  Here's hoping I'm happy with the purchase!

 

As long as you like a more neutral, transparent sound and want any downstream devices to do the 'coloring' of the sound, you should be more than happy. Do you intend to use the X5 on its own, or with an outboard amp fed from the line-out? The amp section of the X5 is very slightly less powerful than the X3, but depending on your headphones you may barely notice the difference in perceived volume and impact. Regardless, if you've been happy with the X3 and have had other Fiio products like the E17 or E11, you might find the X5 an interesting step in a new direction. It's not quite the same 'Fiio house sound' (which some refer to as 'warm') if there is such a thing. When I tried the X5 (having had the X3 and other Fiio gear), I found it paired beautifully with my RSA Intruder on the line-out and my HD800s fed from the balanced output of the Intruder. Amazing quality for a portable DAP and amplifier, though I wouldn't exactly call the HD800 portable. That said, I decided not to upgrade to the X5 at this time. I'll hold onto my X3 until the X7 comes out, but by then I might have my Light Harmonics Geek Wave XD128 (fully loaded with all the extras) - that should be a kick-*** DAP!! :) Still, I may eventually pick up the X7 anyhow... always nice to have choices. 

 

Dale

post #11688 of 12942

I have an E12 I can pair with it as needed for my HD700.  If I decide I don't like the X5, it won't exactly be hard to find someone eager to pick up a used one at a good price and get my money back.

post #11689 of 12942

Definitely - at $225 you got a steal of a deal. You can probably sell it for more than that! :)

 

Edit: also good that you have an E12 - Fiio makes a bracket to join the X5 and E12 into one convenient package - very nice for those headphones that need a little more ooomph! :)

 

Dale


Edited by AgentXXL - 7/21/14 at 9:33pm
post #11690 of 12942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post
 

I have an E12 I can pair with it as needed for my HD700.  If I decide I don't like the X5, it won't exactly be hard to find someone eager to pick up a used one at a good price and get my money back.

You have HD700s? That interests me a little as when I compared them to HD650s their was no subtle difference to my ears. I far prefer the HD650. I assume you also tried both and I'm curious what you prefer between the two. 

post #11691 of 12942

Oh my god.

 

I just received my Fiio X3 today. I was speechless as soon as I tried the demo songs. Insane soundstage (compared to previous iPod Touch 5th Gen), very clear, music doesnt sound anything like it did with my Ipod. It drives my Beyer DT 880 250 ohm and Senn HD 25i-II with ease. I am so impressed and incredibly happy with this purchase. WOW :eek: I can't imagine how much better the X5 sounds compared to the X3 but Ill just stick with this one, I feel like I've been deprived listening to iPod DAC quality music lol

post #11692 of 12942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post

Well, I might be getting rid of my X3 soon.  I just bought a used X5 for $225 shipped from a well rated seller on Amazon.  Here's hoping I'm happy with the purchase!

The X5 is perfect for the price you paid ! it might not offer the sonic experience of an AK120 but it's way better than most portable rigs under $1000 , the X5 is a real beast if paired with the right iem
post #11693 of 12942
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

I gather that what is being questioned is the relative merit of sampling an LP at 16/44 vs 24/96. The only valid approach is to try both and see if the difference is meaningful to you.

It is worth purchasing a good 24/96 or 24/196 track to see how you like it.

Miles Davis Kind of Blue 24/192 is a good place to start. I think it sounds incredible but your mileage may vary.

But I have beer tastes. I actually like the 24/96 mastering of the first Crosby Still Nash album which has been panned by many people.

Both are on HD Tracks.

 

Hi OriginalSnuffy

 

I have now the Miles Davis Kinds of Blue, but the 24/96 version, it sounds really great, better than the other versions, you were right...

Do you hear on the first trumpet sounds on the song "So What" at the end of the trumpet sound a kind of harsh sound like a very very fast water gurgling noise ?

On the other records I have I can bearly hear it. Or just its me, or it is failing my system?

 

thanks man !!


Edited by Pituky - 7/22/14 at 8:06am
post #11694 of 12942
Quote:
Originally Posted by aangen View Post

You have HD700s? That interests me a little as when I compared them to HD650s their was no subtle difference to my ears. I far prefer the HD650. I assume you also tried both and I'm curious what you prefer between the two. 

I never got a chance to audition either, I had a chance to buy it new at $310 and took it. Even trying the LCD 2.2F and the HD700 side by side, I'm happy with what I have.
post #11695 of 12942

Zsarz I'n consern de zenhizer tof nakin hones wen dey tof nakin HD420

post #11696 of 12942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post


I never got a chance to audition either, I had a chance to buy it new at $310 and took it. Even trying the LCD 2.2F and the HD700 side by side, I'm happy with what I have.


Some users report that HD 600 is better than HD 650 with some destop amps, never got the chance to audition HD 700 but i tried HD 800 with Graham Slee Solo SRGII PSU1 ,  it's HEAVEN !!!

post #11697 of 12942
Quote:
Originally Posted by francopro View Post
 


Some users report that HD 600 is better than HD 650 with some destop amps, never got the chance to audition HD 700 but i tried HD 800 with Graham Slee Solo SRGII PSU1 ,  it's HEAVEN !!!

It's depend on the ear preferences. With proper setup and certain genre, I dare to say HD600 is more enjoyable than HD800. But HD800 is really heavenly when compared to HD600. Anyway, some say HE500 is better than HD600. But when I compared them both side by side, there's no way I will buy HE500.

post #11698 of 12942
I've read also that some consider the hd598 as an alternative to the 600, but I'm a bit skeptical.
post #11699 of 12942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pituky View Post

 

Hi OriginalSnuffy

 

I have now the Miles Davis Kinds of Blue, but the 24/96 version, it sounds really great, better than the other versions, you were right...

Do you hear on the first trumpet sounds on the song "So What" at the end of the trumpet sound a kind of harsh sound like a very very fast water gurgling noise ?

On the other records I have I can bearly hear it. Or just its me, or it is failing my system?

 

thanks man !!

 



I can't really comment on individual sound samples but will say that this particular release of this classic album is a good example of the benefits of hi resolution digital audio. I suspect that this is the closest most of us will get to hearing what this album sounds like played back from the original master tapes.

Some good forums for hi res music are on computeraudiophile.com and stevehoffman forums. Those forums are dangerous (to your wallet).
post #11700 of 12942
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaBoliQu3 View Post
 

It's depend on the ear preferences. With proper setup and certain genre, I dare to say HD600 is more enjoyable than HD800. But HD800 is really heavenly when compared to HD600. Anyway, some say HE500 is better than HD600. But when I compared them both side by side, there's no way I will buy HE500.


You're right mate ! it all depends on ear preferences and genres , however some headphones are real kings in almost every genre but not with every setup, lets say for e.g HE500 would shine with an EF-6 amp whereas it would be dull pairing with a Graham Slee or any other make, i still believe that the best combo is within devices from the same make because they have been tuned to be fully compatible : (Sennheiser HD 800 + HDVD 800) , (Hifiman HE6 + EF-6), (Stax SR009 + SRM-007T II) etc

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.