or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 740

post #11086 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmet View Post

I think what ophiel means is at any portable setup the cans or iems should be the most expensive and higher end part in the chain to get the most of it ..that's all

 

I entirely disagree with that. If your source is rubbish then it doesn't matter what you plug into it.

 

You can't always equate more expensive as better either, I have some cheap IEM's that outdo some more expensive ones that I have, and similarly with DAP's, where I have some inexpensive DAP's that kill some of the more expensive products I have.

post #11087 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 


Because my friend like I said: the price is irrelevant. I know it makes total sense to assume "spend more get more" though it's not the case 100% of the time. I can understand your point of view as it's what marketing and expectations lead you to believe however from hands on experience (and many others agree) it just doesn't work like that in portable audio.

Again I don't fully agree and I have alot to say, but my point is to offer some advice from my own experience, but I see it's not welcome here, so i'll leave it as that. After all if you're happy with it that's all that matters isn't it :D

 

btw regarding marketing, I hardly see any advertisements regarding audio equipment around.. those that I do see are ones I would never buy: skullcandies and beats. I gather my info mostly from reviews here - sure, there are always those things that people sing praises about but actually are not as great as described - that's why I make it a point to listen to them first hand before I buy.

 

btw, Just want to point this out before people start accusing me of saying more expensive is 100% better. what correlation means is simply a general trend. At least this you have to agree, even if there are outliers here and there. If not apple earbods and all the <30 iems can sound like heavenly music already. Or don't tell me there're people who like the sound signature of apple earbods so much that even the most expensive iems can't compare :blink:


Edited by Ophiel - 6/24/14 at 5:47am
post #11088 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post

OK, in that case I respectfully disagree.

 

I agree with you disagreeing :-)

post #11089 of 17129

Answer from FIIO concerning Wave64 support.:

 

Quote:
Kindly inform you that, the maximum capacity of the files which the X3 can play is 2GB. The X3 can't play the files whose capacity above 2GB. At present, we have no plan to include the WAVE64 support in the X3 firmware in the near future. If any inconvenience, hope you can understand it.

 

Joachim

post #11090 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlashbios View Post
 

 

I agree with you disagreeing :-)

:beerchug:

post #11091 of 17129

@x RELIC x    Hahaha, yes indeed, I quite aggree. As Yoda might have said if he was a hifi enthusiast.......love leads to familiarity, familiarity breeds discontent, discontent leads to shopping.      

Actually thats a rubbish Yoda saying...nevermind!!!!

 

:D


Edited by Andymaxwell - 6/24/14 at 1:56pm
post #11092 of 17129

For sound quality I'd much rather spend a lot on IEMs and little on the source.

 

It is true that a bad source will have anything sound bad, but that is really no argument unless we define what a bad source is. I think good sources can be had for very little money if it is for easy to drive IEM's. At least measurements show that.

post #11093 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophiel View Post
 

Again I don't fully agree and I have alot to say, but my point is to offer some advice from my own experience, but I see it's not welcome here, so i'll leave it as that. After all if you're happy with it that's all that matters isn't it :D

 

btw regarding marketing, I hardly see any advertisements regarding audio equipment around.. those that I do see are ones I would never buy: skullcandies and beats. I gather my info mostly from reviews here - sure, there are always those things that people sing praises about but actually are not as great as described - that's why I make it a point to listen to them first hand before I buy.

 

btw, Just want to point this out before people start accusing me of saying more expensive is 100% better. what correlation means is simply a general trend. At least this you have to agree, even if there are outliers here and there. If not apple earbods and all the <30 iems can sound like heavenly music already. Or don't tell me there're people who like the sound signature of apple earbods so much that even the most expensive iems can't compare :blink:



I'll just address the bottom part of your post before I move on as its quite important.

Don't be confused into thinking you can purchase any $50 IEM and you've outperformed the competition, I never said that.

What we're saying is: There are low-fi IEM out there that will outrun mid-fi IEM, same goes for mid-fi to hifi therefore price can mean very little in general. The audio hobby is full of deception, marked up prices due to small product runs, niche companies trying to gain maximum profit from a limited 200 units. The variations in performance levels is quite frightening between two companies. Whereas other businesses (like FiiO for example) make their profit  designing a product that performs well keep the cost down then focus on selling in high numbers. It might not be the best performing product but it does enough to make people happy and in some cases will indeed outperform a higher priced piece of gear.
 
It all comes down to what you originally said. Who would spend more on a DAP than the IEM?

Answer: Those who have learned how the hobby works. Then there's the preference side to it.


Edited by H20Fidelity - 6/24/14 at 10:01am
post #11094 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post
 



I'll just address the bottom part of your post before I move on as its quite important.

Don't be confused into thinking you can purchase any $50 IEM and you've outperformed the competition, I never said that.

What we're saying is: There are low-fi IEM out there that will outrun mid-fi IEM, same goes for mid-fi to hifi therefore price means very little in general. The audio hobby is full of deception, marked up prices due to small product runs, niche companies trying to gain maximum profit from a limited 200 units The variations in performance levels is quite frightening between two companies. Whereas other businesses (like FiiO for example) make their profit  designing a product that performs well keep the cost down then focus on selling in high numbers. It might not be the best performing product but it does enough to make people happy and in some cases will indeed outperform a higher priced piece of gear.
 
It all comes down to what you originally said. Who would spend more on a DAP than an IEM?

Answer: Those who have learned how they hobby works. Then there's the preference side to it.

I agree, and i think that's what most of us here do - buy gear that outperforms higher priced ones. I actively look out for such rare gems as well. When i was young and ignorant, I bought the klipsch S4, which is not bad but not really what I wanted. But then later I bought the TF10 which I was happy with for 5 years. Was it worth $100 more than the S4? To me it's a definite yes - at that point of time they outperformed many iems at the same price range and even more expensive ones. But then I bought the X3 and also a silver cable for it, which made the TF10 cost way more for minimal performance gains. Then i sold them away and bought the dunu dn-2k, which i got for <100 more than the TF10, but improved much more than adding just a dap and a cable. Maybe personally I don't have a specific preference for a sound signature, so going up the price point does do it for me. From the TF10 to the dn-2k, it's like the recessed mids became rich mids, bass has more presence and treble become less sharp and vocals become more natural. And of course, details. I loved the TF10 sound signature, but now i like the dn-2k's signature even more. was it worth the extra 100? Definitely yes - if i had the choice, I would have gotten the dn2k instead of the TF10 + X3 . Both the TF10 and dn-2000 are considered (rather big) bargains at the price point. Anyway, that's my experience of the iem world so far. And the reason why my advice is as such. Always get bargain iems, of course

 

Anyhoo, will go have a listen to the VSD3 at LMUE when I stop by there and see how they match up to my memory of the TF10. 


Edited by Ophiel - 6/24/14 at 9:08am
post #11095 of 17129

If I had seen the posts earlier, I would say as a general rule, the more expensive a product is, the more likely it is to outperform those that are less expensive.  There will always be outliers that outperform their price point.  There will also be products that are marked up due to a name brand, which for the 3 that instantly come to mind, 1 stands out as being one of the best in noise cancellation, and the another you are very much paying for fashion, which for any thing you can physically see, matters.  Look at the amount of people that got upset thinking that the X1 might come in a variety of colors but not include black, fashion.  And the third, well, lets just be happy it has an amazing warranty, and a couple of actually good cans.  I would never say that price = quality.  Lets take food for example, disregarding taste (and portion, type of food, etc.,) you can make the argument that the more expensive the meal, the more likely it is to be higher quality than meals that cost less.  Yes, there will be outliers, but in my experience, this has mostly held true.

 

Now, I'm in no way going to try to convince anyone to change their views, I never expect that to work anyways.  But to me at least, this is one of those areas where I really think that higher price ranges hold products that outperform lesser price ranges.  The key is to stop looking at individual pieces, and look at the grand scheme of things.  Do I expect headphones in general from the $50-100 to be beaten by headphones in a higher price bracket in general?  Yes.

post #11096 of 17129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post

If I had seen the posts earlier, I would say as a general rule, the more expensive a product is, the more likely it is to outperform those that are less expensive.  There will always be outliers that outperform their price point.  There will also be products that are marked up due to a name brand, which for the 3 that instantly come to mind, 1 stands out as being one of the best in noise cancellation, and the another you are very much paying for fashion, which for any thing you can physically see, matters.  Look at the amount of people that got upset thinking that the X1 might come in a variety of colors but not include black, fashion.  And the third, well, lets just be happy it has an amazing warranty, and a couple of actually good cans.  I would never say that price = quality.  Lets take food for example, disregarding taste (and portion, type of food, etc.,) you can make the argument that the more expensive the meal, the more likely it is to be higher quality than meals that cost less.  Yes, there will be outliers, but in my experience, this has mostly held true.

Now, I'm in no way going to try to convince anyone to change their views, I never expect that to work anyways.  But to me at least, this is one of those areas where I really think that higher price ranges hold products that outperform lesser price ranges.  The key is to stop looking at individual pieces, and look at the grand scheme of things.  Do I expect headphones in general from the $50-100 to be beaten by headphones in a higher price bracket in general?  Yes.

But you're missing an important point. As you move up the food chain in audio the price of diminishing returns hits harder and harder to a point you're spending 1k+ for a 5-10% Improvement (if you're lucky), the gap rapidly decreases making it easier to catch up. So where does the true value lie? In the mid-fi before diminishing returns hits or spending 2k for a 20% improvement from where you left mid-fi? It all interweaves every point that's been brought up.

Anyway, I'm on my phone atm, so I'm going to leave it at that and let these members get back to X3.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 6/24/14 at 10:07am
post #11097 of 17129

I'm not missing an important point, diminishing returns is common knowledge and didn't need to be pointed out.  Even with diminishing returns, you can objectively state that a HD800 outperforms a HD598.  Value is an intangible concept which isn't part of this discussion.  Someone may find something has value that someone else doesn't.  Many people around the world enjoy Beats, which means to them it has value, many people here do not, which means to us it doesn't have value.  I specifically mentioned performance.  Value is a personal measurement that nobody else can really share, it is essentially taste.  Some people see no need to pay more than $20 on a headphone/IEM because it'll allow them to hear the music, and that's all they need for enjoyment.

post #11098 of 17129
Well , I don't know about you Saoshyant, but I kind of left the topic a little over 2 hours ago to give the members their X3 thread back. If you can find someone to continue the topic with you good luck with it. wink.gif
post #11099 of 17129

Edited because what's the point


Edited by Saoshyant - 6/24/14 at 2:09pm
post #11100 of 17129
 
@Mmet
Quote:
 1-shure se- 425 ( se 535 may be some times a bit warm with x3 )

2- etimotic er-4s ( from short listening session )
3- vsonic gr07 .... didn't try it but it should be fine because of its neutral sound (by many reviews )
in general any neutral to slightly bright iem would be fine  

 

EDIT : sorry what i meant in 2 - is Etymotic HF5 NOT the er-4s

@bertha

Quote:
 I've found the Westone 4R to be a great match :)

 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

 

What are other peoples recommended heaphones in the £100/$160 bracket. Can we add more to the list?

 

Thanks guys :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.