or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 705

post #10561 of 17128

I went back to 2.1 for another compare-and-contrast.  I think 192/24 sounded better in 2.1.

I have to admit 3.0 sounds more "natural" - but I think the high end was better in 2.1.

And I do like a high end.

post #10562 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleidappleid View Post


I think it depends on what you look for in the sound. Personally, I like X3 more because of the smoother vocal. X5 does a better job when it comes to a more complex song because it gives the extra clarity.

 

I agree about the extra clarity, will listen a few tunes to check on the vocals.

post #10563 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by reihead View Post

I can understand why people say 2.14beta sounds better than 3.0, but give it time. IMHO 3.0 has more naturalness.
What I can't understand is people suggesting X3 sounds better than the X5. Don't get me wrong, X3 sounds amazing and might be the better value, but X5 SQ is just better.

I sold my X3 FW2.1 when I picked up an X5 because of the improved stability and SQ. I bought the X3 when it was released and enjoyed it immensely, flaws and all. The new FW SQ change has me very intrigued even though I don't have one anymore. There are so many polarizing views on it and I wonder if it really just takes some 'getting used to'.

Could you articulate though how the 'X5 SQ is just better'. It might help others on the thread to understand.

For me it was a clear difference in detail retrieval with more nuances and an even 'blacker' background. I missed the warmth of the X3 when I first used the X5, but it didn't take long for me to prefer the X5 after some listening and then going back to the X3 (FW2.1). Of course everyone's tastes are different so they may prefer the X3, especially for the price as you say.
post #10564 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by x RELIC x View Post


I sold my X3 FW2.1 when I picked up an X5 because of the improved stability and SQ. I bought the X3 when it was released and enjoyed it immensely, flaws and all. The new FW SQ change has me very intrigued even though I don't have one anymore. There are so many polarizing views on it and I wonder if it really just takes some 'getting used to'.

Could you articulate though how the 'X5 SQ is just better'. It might help others on the thread to understand.

For me it was a clear difference in detail retrieval with more nuances and an even 'blacker' background. I missed the warmth of the X3 when I first used the X5, but it didn't take long for me to prefer the X5 after some listening and then going back to the X3 (FW2.1). Of course everyone's tastes are different so they may prefer the X3, especially for the price as you say.

 

I think we all agree the SQ changed a lot from 2.1 to 3.0, I say for better without a doubt, some disagree (I have tried just FLAC files in different resolutions and mp3 files).

 

I will say (without any proper extensive testing) the X3 with 2.14beta or 3.0 can give you 80% ~ 90% of the SQ of the X5.

 

The X5 sounds a bit more detailed, more natural, specially on more complex song as others has stated. More gentle and with better depth. Smooooooooother is the best word I can think of.

 

Also, I have to say I'm having a hard time to pick apart the same album on FLAC and mp3 (320kbps). I mention this because the X3 would be an amazing high quality loosy files portable player for people who just wants to use mp3s. (I know high quality loosy sounds a bit contradicting). Stick a 64gb microSD plus the 8gb internal can hold a lot of mp3s at 320 in a light, small player (and not too expensive setup) which without a doubt is an upgrade in SQ from any iDevices.

post #10565 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker View Post

Well, I used the program and it dropped the extra .prefixed tracks. It is now hit and miss - plays one albums freezes others…what a drag I can't be on board with the party.

Sorry that didn't work for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihead View Post

Also, I have to say I'm having a hard time to pick apart the same album on FLAC and mp3 (320kbps). I mention this because the X3 would be an amazing high quality loosy files portable player for people who just wants to use mp3s. (I know high quality loosy sounds a bit contradicting). Stick a 64gb microSD plus the 8gb internal can hold a lot of mp3s at 320 in a light, small player (and not too expensive setup) which without a doubt is an upgrade in SQ from any iDevices.

I think that's what I'm going to do with my X3 now...
post #10566 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker View Post

Well, I used the program and it dropped the extra .prefixed tracks. It is now hit and miss - plays one albums freezes others…what a drag I can't be on board with the party.

I'm having a similar problem. My files are a mixture of ALAC and MP3s. As for having to reset your settings after each freeze, have the settings like you want, and while it's still playing, turn the X3 off. That will save your settings. Then each time it freezes in the future, it will return to the settings you had when you turned the X3 off.
post #10567 of 17128
As mentioned in my last post, I'm having freezing problems at the end of tracks, probably as much as with 2.14. I have files in ALAC and MP3s. The freezing seems to be with ALAC, tho that might just be because they're larger files.

Anyway, after playing around with different settings and styles of music, I reloaded 2.14, and was immediately back with the sound I love. So for the time being, I'm staying with 2.14, and just living with the fact that I'll have to occasionally reset the X3 after a track finishes playing.
post #10568 of 17128

Shaboo


Edited by rocker - 5/29/14 at 10:37am
post #10569 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
 

All you guys... please, please stop fretting about firmware 3.0.

 

It is - in my humble opinion - the most 'correct' sounding firmware for the X3 yet. And soundwise it is a huge step from 2.1 to 3.0 and a smaller step from 2.14b to 3.0.

 

For all the doubters, here is a little summary:

 

Sound of 1.x - 2.1:

 

  • flat and constricted stage, soloists seem to take a few steps back from the microphone
  • diminished upper bass, mids and lower treble -> leaving deep bass and high treble
  • dynamics suffer from muted mids
  • far from the original sound of the files it plays
  • perceived frequency response feels unbalanced
  • not very colourful sound, definitely not audiophile

 

Sound of 2.14b - 2.xxb:

 

  • holographic stage
  • stage is slightly instable, instruments move around a bit
  • less deep bass and high treble - because upper bass, mids and lower treble are back
  • much more balanced perceived frequency response
  • more details
  • perfect dynamics with some slight added aggressiveness
  • very colourful sound
  • some slight 'glare' at high mids / low treble

 

Sound of 3.0:

 

  • holographic stage with correct dimensions
  • stage is completely stable, instruments are 'glued' to their places
  • perfectly balanced perceived frequency response (maybe there´s a touch of warmth)
  • the same amount of details as before - they´re just not so much 'in-your-face'
  • perfect dynamics
  • neutral sound
  • glare completely gone

 

In short, after firmware 3.0 this simply is the best portable player I own. And I own many, which, in some cases, have been superior to the X3 before (using firmware <2.1). I have no idea, how FiiO could change the sound without me being able to measure it but it´s a fact that they did. And the improvement is so huge that I feel that every review written to this day should be rewritten... because they´re all wrong now.

 

The X3 now is not only the best DAP I have, it´s also one of the best sources I have. There´s only one device that´s better: the Xonar Essence STX. And the difference is not that big. This truly is remarkable, especially after I considered selling it until a month ago because of its mediocre sound quality. Firmware 2.14b already shattered the idea of selling, firmware 3.0 crushed it completely.

 

IMO, Astell&Kern, iBasso and Sony can pack their bags. And FiiO too... because, in all honesty... I feel that the X3 is superior to the X5 (judging from what I´ve heard when I had the preview model).

 

When not talking about sound the firmware has so far been a delight. Fast, responsive, free of bugs. If there´s one thing I don´t like too much it´s that the cover art is resized to (I assume) 300x300 px and cropped because it doesn´t fit. But that´s it.

 

Very well done, FiiO.

I was reading some of the criticisms and scratching my head thinking am I falling for the placebo effect. Then I read your synopsis and felt better. I hear all the improvements you hear too. The X3 is now more more musical and engaging than it ever was. PrAT are exciting and the soundstage holographic. Great job developers. 

post #10570 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananasov View Post
 

Hey guys can somebody give opinion about kingston and adata 64gb cards? 

 

Thanks


I've been using a Kingston SDCX10/64GB since December without any issue. Be sure to format it through the X3 menu or the recommended utility, anyway.

post #10571 of 17128

Been using a Kingston 64gb card as well. Only problems I've had were driver related for my card reader - the x3 works fine with it.

 

Been cool and rainy here, so that gave me some time to update my theme. You can find it here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684793/diy-your-own-theme-for-your-lovely-x3/120#post_10588998

 

So far I haven't had a single crash/freeze since I d/l the new firmware. In fact the only complaint I can make right now is that the previous version on the UI simulator (tweakui) doesn't work with the new fw, so testing theme mods is a PitA.

 

Cheers.

post #10572 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Trev View Post
 

Been using a Kingston 64gb card as well. Only problems I've had were driver related for my card reader - the x3 works fine with it.

 

Been cool and rainy here, so that gave me some time to update my theme. You can find it here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684793/diy-your-own-theme-for-your-lovely-x3/120#post_10588998

 

So far I haven't had a single crash/freeze since I d/l the new firmware. In fact the only complaint I can make right now is that the previous version on the UI simulator (tweakui) doesn't work with the new fw, so testing theme mods is a PitA.

 

Cheers.

Thanks God for the rain :p

I loved your previous theme so much that I was not planning to upgrade to 3.0 until a new "Mr Trev enhanced 3.0 FW version" was out. And here it is.

Thanks for your great help to the X3 community :beerchug:

post #10573 of 17128

Thanks for your kind words.

Onchiman did point out a bug in the topbar, so make sure you get the fixed version (same link).

post #10574 of 17128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Trev View Post

Been using a Kingston 64gb card as well. Only problems I've had were driver related for my card reader - the x3 works fine with it.

Been cool and rainy here, so that gave me some time to update my theme. You can find it here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684793/diy-your-own-theme-for-your-lovely-x3/120#post_10588998

So far I haven't had a single crash/freeze since I d/l the new firmware. In fact the only complaint I can make right now is that the previous version on the UI simulator (tweakui) doesn't work with the new fw, so testing theme mods is a PitA.

Cheers.
Thanks alot
post #10575 of 17128

I bought my x3 about a month ago and have enjoyed it greatly.  I have a question, and sorry to hijack the v3.0 discussion, but is there a way when I navigate through my music to see groupings under a group?   In other words, can I go to Genres, and then see artists or albums under the genres?    Now I see only a list of every song in the genre.     

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.